Your opinion of the Butler Creek folding stocks?

PDA

harmonic
December 22, 2007, 04:26 PM
I want a stock with a pistol grip for my Ruger Mini 30. I shoot left handed and that narrows the field. Otherwise I'd buy a thumbhole laminated stock.

Do any of you have any experience with the Butler Creek folders? I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=736861

Is it super cheaply made? I just want it for nominal field use; mostly a plinker at the range. Is the metal fair quality? Or does it rattle unduly out of the box?

thanx

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinion of the Butler Creek folding stocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dscottw88
December 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
Glad you asked Harmonic,

I picked up a butler creek folding stock for my 10/22 about a year ago. Its been really nice to have the pistol grip just to plink around with. Other than te obvious differences between a mini 30 and a 10/22, I would think that both stocks would function nearly identically. The metal frame doesn't "wobble" or "wiggle" at all. And holds outstandingly well/solid under stress.

It's never once unfolded when closed, and has never once closed while extended. I'm extremely satisfied with its overall quality. Hope this helps!

elmerfudd
December 22, 2007, 10:05 PM
I had one years ago on a 10/22 and I liked it. It's not a fantastic stock, but it works as intended and it won't fall apart on you. Compared to other 10/22 folders like the Ramline, it's built like a tank. I'm not sure I'd want it for target work since it's designed to work with the barrel band. At the time, I was 16 years old and trying to make it into something resembling an assault rifle.

Personally, I'd continue to look for a left handed thumbhole stock. There are so many stocks out there for 10/22's that somebody has to be making one.

harmonic
December 23, 2007, 12:49 AM
Personally, I'd continue to look for a left handed thumbhole stock. There are so many stocks out there for 10/22's that somebody has to be making one.

It's for a mini 30. Not a 10/22.

However, these people.........

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=2698&ProductNumber=07%2D01%2D18&ProductCode=20&ProductSubCodeID=153&NewProduct=0

.........are making this stock for the mini:

http://www.riflestock.com/images/Products/MINI-14_GARGUNOV_STOCK.jpg

The only thing is that over on the Perfectunion, which is the premier website for the minis, they say this stock is too flimsy. They said that Accuracy Systems International said the stock was so flimsy that they (ASI) wouldn't guarantee the accuracy of their rifles with that stock.

Zach S
December 23, 2007, 01:11 AM
A buddy had one for his Mini 14. I liked it better than the factory ruger folder. I didnt like the metal frame, although the hinge is in an alright spot if you shoot AR15s with your nose to the charging handle (I also shoot lefty). Seemed pretty solid, but he didnt have it long, and I dont have a lot of experiance with them, even though I have one on a 10-22 that doesnt get shot often. FWIW its been on there for years and doesnt rattle.

I dont like the finger grooves.

gunman42782
December 23, 2007, 01:12 AM
I had one on a Mini 14 and liked it much better than the factory stock.

elmerfudd
December 23, 2007, 01:19 AM
Sorry, my bad. Sometimes I get to typing and I forget the details of the original post.

George Hill
December 23, 2007, 02:29 AM
I have that very stock on 2 Ruger 10/22's and my Remington Marine Magnum... they are simple, rugged, and functional. They are not slick or cool or tactical... they just work. I like them. Makes stowage and portability of the weapon a lot easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinion of the Butler Creek folding stocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!