Meprolight tritium AR-15 front post

PDA

jrfoxx
December 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
Anyone have or have used the Meprolight tritium front post for thier AR-15? Seems like it could be a pretty useful item for low light shooting or even just for faster use of the irons.Meprolight seems to have a pretty good reputation,and for $30, seems kinda hard to go wrong.So, whats everyone think of the idea, especially those who have used or own is particular one)? Also, they make one for my Mossberg 590 ghost ring, I'm considering too, assuming I get the AR sgiht and like it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=227768

If you enjoyed reading about "Meprolight tritium AR-15 front post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
halfacop
December 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have one on my RRA.

I like it very much. Its hows up great through my Killflash on my Aimpoint.

During low light shooting I find that I am able to get back on target quicker with the slight glow that it provides. I would be without it.

Its common sense really - as a LEO I would not carry a gun without night sights on it, as a citizen I wuld not have a carry gun without night sights on it....So why would you have an AR with out a night sight capability?

If your thinking about getting one......go for it. You'll be happy with it.

birdbustr
December 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
I have one on my M-4. Very good sight for low light use. I filed the edges of the front post to cut down on the size of the post. I don't really see much point in the rear lighted sight. Can't go wrong on this one.

jrfoxx
December 22, 2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, also meant to ask about the rear sight,too.They sell the front sight only, or the fron and rear as a set.Any added benifit to having the tritium rear? Doesnt really SEEM to me like theres anything to gain from a couple glowing dots on the rear sight,being a peep,(as opposed to the notch type rear sight on most rifles/handguns, I can see the benifit of it on those) but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of since I've never seen them in person...

Bartholomew Roberts
December 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
I am not a big fan of tritium front sight posts on rifles and am getting to the point where I don't know that they have a place on handguns either.

If you have enough light to identify the target (either ambient light or weaponlight), then usually the standard front sight post will work just fine. At worst case, a white line front sight post will work since it will reflect the ambient light well enough for use.

If it is so dark that a white line won't work, then it is too dark to identify the target (which is its own problem) and a tritium front sight post will usually be bright enough that your eye will focus on the light and the target will wash out where it can't be seen at all (assuming you want to shoot some vague shadowy target you have not identified).

Finally, even without night vision, tritium is visible to anybody behind the firearm. With NODS, that tendency is even worse and you can sometimes see the glow underneath clothing. If neither of those issues are a concern, then there is a very narrow window where tritium performs better than the alternatives; but considering how small that area is and the price increase for tritium, I think I would be more inclined to go with a white dot/stripe and a good light.

halfacop
December 22, 2007, 06:34 PM
If it is so dark that a white line won't work, then it is too dark to identify the target (which is its own problem) and a tritium front sight post will usually be bright enough that your eye will focus on the light and the target will wash out where it can't be seen at all (assuming you want to shoot some vague shadowy target you have not identified).

I think it is something that is certainly different for each user. I have Meps on my G22 duty firearm. In No Light situations using my prefered method "The Harries technique" and regular sights, I cannot personnally see my sights. They seem to be washed out by my flashlight.

However - with my meps - I get a perfect muted 3 dot sight picture floating over my target that is lit up by my Surefire 6P.

I wouldn't be without my meps on my firearms......like I said, its prolly different for everybody.

jrfoxx
December 22, 2007, 06:41 PM
Bartholomew Roberts does have some valid points, but I dont think they are much of a concern for me personlly, as I have a Surefire 6p wth 125 lumins bulb on a pressure switch mounted to take care of the target ID issue (but it doesnt make the sight any more visible, or I wouldn't be bothering with the tritium sight), and as far as it making me easier to spot to the BG's, sadly the brightness of the Surefire makes the tritium insignificant, and for an enemy with nightvsion, well, in that case, I'll be in a world of hurt regardless,as it likely means I'm fighting a much more highly trained,equipt, and profesional adversary, and the S has hit the fan big time, so...
As for the sight washing out the target, that is something I hadnt considered,which is a realistic concern, but again, hopefully the Surefire negates that, if not, then sadly I'll have to put the original pos back on, and I'll have to just be out the $30, but not really a big deal, given the cost, and its a lesson learned.In a mlitary type combat scenaro, I'll have to agree he's probly very right on all points, but for me personally, thats a pretty unlikely scenario, barring massive invason or revolution, in which case, I'm not likely to last long no matter what I do, If I get involved in actually seeking out the enemy, rather than being strictly defensive.Still, good points to think about though, as one never knows.....

Bartholomew Roberts
December 22, 2007, 08:00 PM
I have a Surefire 6p wth 125 lumins bulb on a pressure switch mounted to take care of the target ID issue (but it doesnt make the sight any more visible, or I wouldn't be bothering with the tritium sight),

Well, I can't speak for you; but for me even a much less powerful 60 lumen bulb will light up a target very well and give excellent contrast between an unlit black front sight post and the target. This works until the 60 lumen light starts to fade out in strength around 50yds.

I've got tritium sights on all my handguns; but all of my rifle irons are plain. I've used both in low light and no light which is how I started thinking about the differences.

If you enjoyed reading about "Meprolight tritium AR-15 front post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!