I'm still amazed by my Hi-Point 995

PDA

dispatch55126
December 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm still amazed by this carbine.

I've got over 500 rounds through it with a single FTF/FTE and it eats anything I feed it.

For a 9mm, it'll put 30 rounds (I have 3 mags) into a 1.5" group at 30 yds and a 2" group at 50 yds, and thats with open sights.

The thing is second cousin backwoods red-headed stepchild ugly and it looks like someone built it out of spare parts in their garage over a weekend. Maybe this is why it took so long to buy one.

For only $150, it should almost be a given seeing that it'll cost double for the next contender but the "shoddy" workmanship kept turning me away. The purchase was decided literally over the flip of a coin.

The factory warranty is awesome. No questions asked, just send it to them or they'll send you the part. No return shipping costs and they usually throw in an extra mag for the troubles.

Anyways, I'm not trying to sell the thing but it impresses me every time I go to the range. I know there are other semi auto pistol carbines out there such the CX-4, but why pay the extra amount when this works just as good for much less.

This has probably been my favorite purchase overall.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm still amazed by my Hi-Point 995" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
frogomatic
December 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
yeah, I really like my hi-points too. Reliable, accurate, dirt cheap, built like a brick, and ugly as sin, what's not to love?

Srigs
December 22, 2007, 10:53 PM
I like both of my carbines. The 40 is even better than the 9mm IMHO.

Hoppy590
December 23, 2007, 01:06 AM
i LOVE my HP 995 carbine. the thing is a tank, will eat anythingyou feed it, and do it all day long

tnieto2004
December 23, 2007, 01:40 AM
Last time I went looking for one at the gunshow .. I couldn't find one and ended up buying a AR15

baz
December 23, 2007, 09:17 AM
Last time I went looking for one at the gunshow .. I couldn't find one and ended up buying a AR15Yikes. You could have bought several Hipoints for the cost of an AR15. And they really aren't quite functionally equivalent, either. Perhaps the reason why you couldn't find one at a gun show is that most 995 owners hang on to theirs (though I have seen used ones at a gun show). But I got one off gunbroker.com a couple of years ago. If you really want one, they can be found.

Geno
December 23, 2007, 09:44 AM
Here is a review that I did on the HP: The Little Carbine that Could

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=260324&highlight=Carbine

:)

Clipper
December 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
Told you you'd like it, didn't I?

rangerruck
December 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
in case you didn;t know, you can change out that but ugly stock..

dispatch55126
December 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
Oh yeah?:D

41magsnub
January 5, 2008, 09:44 PM
I am seriously considering one of these as a "toy" gun, in so far as a gun is a toy. I imagine it would be a blast to shoot, pardon the pun. I'm in no way worried about the quality of the gun or the operation, just curious about the accessories.

Is the red dot scope that come with certain models worth a darn or would I be better off skipping it or getting a different one? I 've never used a red dot, nor do I know the first thing about them.

Additional question, are the Pro Mag 15 round after market magazines any good?

Thanks!

MRIman
January 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
Additional question, are the Pro Mag 15 round after market magazines any good?

I've heard nothing but poor reports about them.
I love my 995,though she sits in the safe most of the time now.
If your after "high cap" mags for your new "toy",look at the
Kel-Tec Sub2000.
Mine runs on Glock 17 mags(17rds.),as well as Glock 18 mags(33rds.)
That is the main reason my 995 sits in the safe now.
She gets range time when my friends come over and we burn 9mm.
The cool thing of the Sub2000 is it folds in half and fits in a case the
size of a laptop.

MRI

dispatch55126
January 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
The ProMag can work, but it'll take time rebending the feed lips for them to work. Since they are singe stack mags, they hang a few inches below the grip. Not really worth it for 5 extra rounds IMO.

h-word
January 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
where's a good place to find mags for the high point .40 carbine. I just want the ten round since everyone says the 15 rnds are crap..

dispatch55126
January 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
Call the factory, http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/accessories/hi_point_accessories.html

The are the cheapest and they don't charge for shipping.

mugs79
January 6, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'll probably pick one up next time I find one at my local gun shop (I know I could get one online, maybe even a bit cheaper, but I like like supporting the little shop).

I'll probably replace the stock with one of these (http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/ADVHIP9000lg.jpg) as well, as one of my first gun projects.

KiltedClaymore
January 6, 2008, 07:32 PM
all i hear is good reviews about this gun. one more year and im going out and getting myself one (curse that age requirement)

h-word
January 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've had the .40 version for two years now and have no complaints other than the fact it's ugly. I just wish the folks at ATI would make a stock for it.

Hoppy590
January 6, 2008, 07:57 PM
I just wish the folks at ATI would make a stock for it.

they do. http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=6

rlt7272
January 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
Love mine too. I have a cheapo reddot and can knock over bowling pins at 100yrds all day.

MAX100
January 6, 2008, 08:10 PM
Every time I see one of the HI-POINT rifles it reminds on the rifles the apes carried in the 1968 Planet of The Apes movie in which Charlton Heston stared in.

GC

41magsnub
January 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
Made up my mind to go buy one based on price and reviews, I was amazed at the hi-point hate here in Missoula. Both of the listed resellers for here don't stock any high-point products and actually sneered at me when I asked if they would order one. Guess I'll be doing an Internet order or getting a non-listed store to order it.

The 15 round magazine thing is not a big deal, just would be cool if it worked.

Domino
January 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Point 995's are great little carbines but I have to say that I like my Sub 2000 better and I feel its worth the extra $150. Having a carbine that folds in half and takes my G19/17/18 magazines is a huge plus. I also like the way it handles better than the 995's that I have fired. But even so I'd have to say that the Hi Point is an exceptionally effective and practical weapon for the price.

mattmacklind
January 7, 2008, 01:37 AM
I love my 995, too. Orderd the stock and a scope, putting them on as soon as I get them!

mustang_gt_350
January 7, 2008, 07:33 AM
what did you pay for it? Ive been considering one for a year or so now. And this week i might pull the trigger and get one in the 40 S&W

Mr White
January 7, 2008, 10:01 AM
The 995s are good guns for sure. I just had mine out yesterday trying out some 9mm loads I made up. After I re-zeroed it, I was shooting 2" groups at 50 yds. My Hi Point is one of 2 guns that stay loaded in the safe. If I ever need a gun fast, that'll be the one I grab.

Their biggest problem I've found is takedown. To detail strip it, you have to remove the front sight and you lose your zero. Other than that, the fit & finish, which isn't a big deal, and the lack of reliable hi cap mags, I have no complaints with the 995.

mattmacklind
January 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
I paid $169 NIB for mine. Only one clip, though. I just got the stock and a cheap scope for around $100 with shipping and I'm putting it together tonight. I'll post a pic if I can figure it out. I bought it at a gun shop in St. Louis, if anyone wants to know which one PM me.

41magsnub
January 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
Got mine last week, shot it today. It is pretty nice, it was foggy so anything beyond 25 yards was a waste of time but at 25 yards it was one ragged hole offhand. When it is clear I need to do this again and see what it can do at longer ranges.

The only problem I had is after some shots the red dot would blink out for a sec. I need to futz around with the battery to get it tighter I am guessing.

Initially the action was quite difficult to cycle, after about 200 rounds (50 CCI FMJ that came with it and 150 georgia arms reloads) it softened up some. I'm debating taking it apart tonight and polishing the wear marks to get it a little smoother. Also, cut the crap out of my hand on a rough edge on the stock. A few minutes with the dremel tool cleaned that up and it is smooth now.

Fit and finish are not selling points for this gun, shoots pretty well though!

kanderson586
February 23, 2008, 12:47 PM
bought mine NIB, put 200 rounds of cheap spanish 9mm through it. had lots of ftf and fte, i then broke the firing pin somehow during my first dissassemble and clean (it was nasty in there, i blame the ammo), anyhow i am testing their warranty everyone seems happy with, will report when i get it back.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
February 23, 2008, 07:47 PM
i have put atleast 5k rounds through mine in 3 years, the 9mm. i got it used with about 1k through it. i haven't cleaned it in atleast 2k im trying tog et it to break and it just keeps plowing on. i love it.

Clipper
February 23, 2008, 08:44 PM
The only problem I had is after some shots the red dot would blink out for a sec. I need to futz around with the battery to get it tighter I am guessing.

Try putting a dime between the battery and cap. It fixed my BSA red dot right up...

Backwoodsmike
May 1, 2011, 11:11 PM
Am I the only person who does not think these guns are ugly?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm still amazed by my Hi-Point 995" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!