PDW article

PDA

Tony Williams
December 24, 2007, 04:10 PM
I have updated the PDW article on my website, here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/PDWs.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "PDW article" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
December 24, 2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks Tony. I enjoy reading your stuff.

Nolo
December 24, 2007, 04:44 PM
I always like reading your stuff, Tony. A good source of information, just like always.
I have to wonder why people have neglected the 10mm Automatic case. You could barrel the weapon in 10mm and then have a very effective sabot load in, say, 6.5mm which would probably compare well to 6.5x35mm KAC. And you'd be able to keep it within the grip of a pistol. Not to mention you'd have the bang that the US wants with the AP that the Euros want.
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Nolo
December 24, 2007, 04:56 PM
Oh, I also want to point out this little weapon:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa149/Nolo_photo/MongooseMicro-AssaultRifleFixedStoc.jpg
It's a PDW I designed, called the Mongoose. It shoots 10mm Automatic and 6.5-10mm rounds. It has two ejection ports for right- and left-hand shooters, with a switch in the butt to alternate between them. It's cocking handles (dual for ambidextrous use) are on the forend, which really makes it want a vertical foregrip. The lower forend is removable, revealing a mil-std Picatinny rail. The magazine shown holds 20 rounds of 10mm Auto, there are also 30- and 50-round magazines. The buttplate of the weapon is extendable to the shoulder of the firer and has several positions. The reason the butt is so long as is is because I incorpated into the design a constant-recoil operating system, making the weapon a cinch to aim and fire. The small button over the trigger guard is the magazine release, which is also duplicated on the other side. There is a raised Picatinny rail on the top of the weapon for red-dot sights and other accessories.
Now that I think about it, the butt probably doesn't need to be that long for a C-R system using 10mm Auto, but I could be wrong.

HorseSoldier
December 24, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have to wonder why people have neglected the 10mm Automatic case. You could barrel the weapon in 10mm and then have a very effective sabot load in, say, 6.5mm which would probably compare well to 6.5x35mm KAC.

There was a necked down 10mm round designed to shoot a 5.56mm 55 grain bullet for PDW weapons called the .224 Boz (or maybe that's supposed to be BOZ). For whatever reason it went away, I think the company developing it folded or something.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with using a sub-cal sabot round in a weapon that would likely have CQC applications. Even lightweight plastic sabot petals can pose a potential risk (particularly to eyes) when they peel off and go flying. That would definitely call for some reassessment of TTPs for room clearing and such.

Tony Williams
December 25, 2007, 03:44 AM
The main problem with the 10mm is recoil. This is too severe for most users in a pistol (in the original hot loading: a lot of modern loads are no better than .40 S&W). That would make it very difficult to control in a small, light SMG.

If you enjoyed reading about "PDW article" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!