green stuff on my ak47, what is it?

PDA

ar154life
December 24, 2007, 07:51 PM
i see green build up on the muzzle break and the top handguard tube.
anyone know what it is? how did it get there?

If you enjoyed reading about "green stuff on my ak47, what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vaarok
December 24, 2007, 07:54 PM
Copper fouling, or maybe rust/oxidized copper.

R.W.Dale
December 24, 2007, 07:56 PM
Mold, Moss or some form of Lichen possibly

dfariswheel
December 24, 2007, 08:07 PM
The green gunk is copper fouling that's starting to turn to Verdigris.
You need to clean your rifle with a good bore solvent.

AK bullets are steel jacketed, but they have a copper coating to both lubricate the bullet during feeding, and to prevent it from rusting.
That copper will tarnish, which is what Verdigris is.

ar154life
December 24, 2007, 08:17 PM
darn!i knew it was something not good. what is a good bore cleaner?
will CLP take care of it? what happens if I just let it sit there and not clean? I was suppose to be gone for 3 weeks!!

plexreticle
December 24, 2007, 08:29 PM
Shooters Choice is good stuff

ClickClickD'oh
December 24, 2007, 09:03 PM
Plug the bore, pour some Hoppe's in from the breech. Let soak for 1hr then go to town with a good bore brush.

nalioth
December 24, 2007, 09:07 PM
darn!i knew it was something not good. It won't hurt anything. It just is green. :D

ar154life
December 24, 2007, 09:08 PM
does this mean i should stop shooting wolf/monarch/steel case ammunition to prevent this?

ClickClickD'oh
December 24, 2007, 09:14 PM
does this mean i should stop shooting wolf/monarch/steel case ammunition to prevent this?Nope. Just clean the thing once every thousand rounds or so.

ar154life
December 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
i clean this thing after every 200 get back from the range.
i keep it in a safe with no dehumidifier so maybe that is the problem?

ClickClickD'oh
December 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
If you are getting the green gunk, that means that not all of the fouling is being taken out of the bore when you clean it. Are you useing a bronze bore brush or a snythetic one?

Bazooka Joe71
December 24, 2007, 10:10 PM
If you are getting the green gunk, that means that not all of the fouling is being taken out of the bore when you clean it. Are you useing a bronze bore brush or a snythetic one?

Do you need anything more than a boresnake to clean the bore?:confused:

Seems, for me at least, that after a couple of runs with a snake, that think is as shiney as when I bought it...

hexidismal
December 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
If you're cleaning the gun often and still having that problem, that means you simply aren't using the right products. Copper generally has to be taken care of separately from lead and powder fouling. I think maybe a lot of shooters don't realize that. Its not a big deal, just use a copper solvent in addition to your normal bore cleaner. DON'T mix them, use the copper solvent with an appropriate brush after you have already cleaned the bore with a powder solvent.

Something along these lines is the product you want.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=667226&t=11082005

.45Guy
December 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
Use the lazy mans secret weapon: Outers foaming bore cleaner. Problem solved.

Dave Markowitz
December 24, 2007, 11:20 PM
Don't worry about the green stuff, it's just gun snot. :neener:

Seriously, you need to clean with a rod and, a bore brush, and some patches using a solvent that removes copper fouling. E.g., Hoppe's No.9 or Shooter's Choice. A BoreSnake is fine for quick cleaning but does not remove as much fouling as a cleaning rod, brush, and patches.

_N4Z_
December 24, 2007, 11:22 PM
Get that copper cleaned out of there and you may even see an improvement in accuracy! ;)

Top two speedy copper cleaners I've used with success -
Sweets 7.62, and Barnes CR-10

Sweets is thicker which I think makes it a little easier to use. Both work very well.

I've also found if you leave Hoppes9 in a bore for a few hours, you'll get all kinds blue out on the patches when you sweep it out.

Copper will show up as blue or green on patches when it's coming out of the bore. You see blue, you'll know your cleaning out the copper.

351 WINCHESTER
December 24, 2007, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a booger to me.

DannyinJapan
December 25, 2007, 12:24 AM
If you touch it with a hot piece of wire, and it jumps away trying to protect itself...

Mikee Loxxer
December 25, 2007, 01:01 AM
Personally I find the value of boresnakes limited and do not understand their popularity. In my experience one needs to use good solvents (both copper and powder) along with a lot of good quality patches and probably brushes to get a bore clean. Bore snakes are good to get stuff moving but are hardly thorough.

goon
December 25, 2007, 02:12 AM
Boresnakes are OK for a quick cleaning but it has been my experience that you're gonna need a rod, solvent, patches, and a brush to really get things clean.

jpwilly
December 25, 2007, 02:29 AM
Another great solvent is Sweets 7.62! Gets much more stuff out of my bbls than Hoppes #9 and many others.

ar154life
December 25, 2007, 03:14 AM
wow. okay guys, dont laugh.

this is how ive been cleaning them. i guess ive been lazy.

i soak up a circle cloth with clp and run it through. i do that 2-3 times then run a dry cloth 2-3 times.

I guess ill need to use the bronze brush. thanks

i thought the problem was with my safe and not have dessicant packets in there.

done this with my ar15 and they dont have a problem.

mickmten
December 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
On some of my projects I've had some pretty bad bores. I've run a couple dozen patches through the bores and they were still coming out fouled. So I read about a technique and used it with some success. Soak a patch with Hoppes and run it through to get the bore really damp. Plug both ends of the barrel with cleaning patches and let it sit for a day or two. Remove the patches and begin cleaning -- you'll get a lot of the copper fouling out of there. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "green stuff on my ak47, what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!