What is a carbine weapon ?


July 24, 2003, 05:46 PM
I was under the impression that a carbine weapon was a rifle that shot pistol ammo..Im young and stupid could anyone educate me on this..thanks..I would love to have a .45acp or .44 mag rifle any suggestions...Oh and that dont cost a ton.As always thanks for your time

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a carbine weapon ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
July 24, 2003, 05:59 PM
Carbine just means it has a short barrel. The first ones were for calvary use, since a full-sized rifle is awkward to use while on a horse.

July 24, 2003, 06:06 PM
Here's the Wikipedia definition, which is as good a definition as I've ever seen. Notice that type of ammunition caliber plays no part in designation.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Carbine is a firearm, similar to but shorter than an ordinary rifle or musket in barrel and stock. Carbine was originally developed to be used by cavalry soldiers, for whom a full-length rifle was too heavy and cumbersome to be fired from horseback. Carbines have also been issued to secondary troops, such as cooks, technicians etc., for whom a lighter weapon is sufficient and desirable. Many military rifles have been manufactured in both full-length and carbine versions. After WWII the assault rifle, which is basically a cross-breed of the carbine and a submachine gun, has become the standard infantry weapon, and carbine as a category of military firearms has virtually vanished.

Today the term 'carbine' is used on variety of firearms, basically anything between a pistol and a rifle. Pistols with a shoulder stock, submachine guns or assault rifles with only single fire cabability and small rifles designed to fire pistol cartridges can be seen to bear the title.

July 24, 2003, 06:19 PM
I thought everybody knew ...

It's a gun designed to shoot beans at cars. :D

July 24, 2003, 06:20 PM
Congrats for earning the "Senior Member" title.

Trouble is - now you're a young SENIOR ... :) :)

July 24, 2003, 06:30 PM
A full-auto long gun firing a rifle cartridge or larger is called a machinegun. A full-auto long gun firing an intermediate cartridge (smaller than a rifle cartridge, but larger than a pistol cartridge) is called an assualt weapon. A full-auto long gun firing a pistol cartridge is called a submachinegun.

4v50 Gary
July 24, 2003, 06:35 PM
You're probably asking about what's called a pistol caliber carbine. Those are short rifles chambered for a pistol caliber bullet, e.g., 9 mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W. Guns that fall into this category includes the Ruger PC-9 & PC-40, the Calico 950, Uzi Carbine (16"bbl), HK-94, Colt AR-15 in 9mm, etc.

Note: The "term" carbine has evolved over the centuries. Back in the days when a long barrel gun (39-46" bbl) was cut down to 33" or so, the shorter barrel gun was called a carbine. During the Civil War, rifled muskets were around 39" long, short rifles 33" or so, and musketoons a mere 24" long. See how it changes? The German Mauser 98 of WW I fame featured a 29" long barrel. The Mountain Carbine version was a mere 24" long. Modernly many of our commercial rifles are 22-24" long. So, when you apply the term, also consider the period in which it is being used.

July 24, 2003, 07:22 PM
Don't forget about the Marlin camp carbines in 9mm & 45acp. They aren't made any longer but they were some good "carbines".

I almost forgot the Thompson.


July 24, 2003, 09:35 PM
Is it car-bean or car-bine ? Or is this one of those po-tay-to/po-tah-to things?

4v50 Gary
July 24, 2003, 09:58 PM
Prapuhlee speaking the eye is long, so it's car-bine as in twine. Bedatasitmay, I likka call it car-bean as in frijoles. Just an ignant product of the Californian publick school seztem.

July 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
Perhaps it varies from state to state, but around here, it's "car-bean".

Standing Wolf
July 24, 2003, 10:56 PM
I've always heard "carbine" pronounced with a long "I" to rhyme with "mine."

July 25, 2003, 12:03 AM
I think theis was gone over on TFL pretty thoroughly. Both are used often enough to be considered appropriate, but IIRC "car-bean" was more common.



PS I say car-bean. *shrug*

July 25, 2003, 01:46 AM
It's a gun designed to shoot beans at cars.Funny, I thought it was a gun that shot cars at beans.:confused: Learn something every day...

July 25, 2003, 02:37 AM
Kel-tec makes a folding carbine in 9mm and .40 S&W

July 25, 2003, 09:26 AM

I kinda figured it this way...

If you know someone that has both the US Rifle Cal .30 M-1 [The Garand]
and the US Rifle Cal .30 Carbine M-1 [The War Baby] stand them side by side.

Or if you are in to Russian Rifles, take something like the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 [Rifle] vs. the Mosin-Nagant M-44 [Carbine]

Some variants of the famous Mauser 98's had 29" barrels, others had the shorter 22"-24" and could be called carbines.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a carbine weapon ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!