Rossi M92

PDA

Mainiac
December 25, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have a Rossi M92 in .357 mag. When I got it out of the safe this morning I noticed that the elevator for the rear sight was missing. Ooops!! Looked everywhere for a half hour, no luck. Anyone here know where I can purchase a replacement elevator? TIA!! I really love this rifle!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi M92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
December 25, 2007, 05:56 AM
Sight elevator kit at Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=544&title=UNIVERSAL%20REAR%20SIGHT%20ELEVATOR%20KIT

Float Pilot
December 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen with one of my Rossi lever guns. I have no flippin idea where that thing went. I was just going to buy a ladder and then ened up buying an entire buckhorn rear sight with a new ladder. The full buckhorn turned out to be really good for rapid sighting. I think I bought it from Brownells...

Buffalo Arms also carries them but the Rossis take a slightly different dove tail size than real Winchesters.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4886.htm

Cosmoline
December 26, 2007, 03:17 PM
The tangent on the Rossis are horrible anyway. I replaced mine thusly:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/sight2.jpg

mainmech48
December 26, 2007, 04:34 PM
Along with replacement elevators Brownell's has a complete replacement rear sight for both 20" and 16" Rossi carbines. They are made by Marble's and are available with a choice of blade options including full and semi- Buckhorn designs. The Marble's style elevator is more stable and less liable to accidental loss or disengagement than the stock one. It indexes and supports the blade on both sides, being a two-sided arrangement that surrounds the 'arm' and provides a wide, stable contact base compared to the more conventional arrangement. Not expensive at all, but expect to do some minor fitting.

MCgunner
December 26, 2007, 08:09 PM
I had an aperture with click elevation adjustment on an old .22 I adapted to the Rossi. Works fantastic for adjusting to either light .38 or heavy magnum loads. I had to replace the stock sight as it wouldn't adjust low enough.

chemist308
December 26, 2007, 09:22 PM
Not to hijack, but how accurate are those Rossi 357 rifles?

MCgunner
December 26, 2007, 09:26 PM
Mine shoots about 4 moa with irons and a good .357 load. It's not quite as accurate with .38 putting its best loads into about 1 1/4" at 25 yards. It's good enough for hunting to its maximum range of about 100 yards.

roscoe
December 27, 2007, 01:50 AM
I had the same thing happen because the rear sight elevator was a sloppy fit. I had another made to fit the rear leaf.

Mainiac
December 27, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the answers guys. I guess it's Brownells fo me. I looked in their catalog and didn't find anything, thanks for the link. I really hate their catalog, it's so hard to look anything up.

MAX100
December 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
The Rossi 92 rifles in 38/357mag I have shot all group with the holes touching at 25 yards. If you are only getting 1 1/4" groups at 25 yards with your rifle, I would say something is wrong.

GC

MCgunner
December 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
It shoots better out of magnum brass, just figured it was the free bore of the .38s. That's also with a 105 Lee .357" sized bullet. It shoots really accurate in a couple of my revolvers, but maybe the rifling is a little fast for it in the carbine. It's fun, very light, like a .22 (was the idea when I developed it). Perhaps I should try a 158 in it, don't recall that I ever have in .38 brass, though I shoot a 5.0 grain Unique/158 SWC in my revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi M92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!