Ruger 77MkII Frontier, 7mm08 style

PDA

rbernie
December 27, 2007, 12:27 AM
I happened to have a spare Leupold FXII scout scope sitting on a shelf, and I finally decided that I had to get a rifle to hold it:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=69813&d=1198729060

The 7mm08 chambering matches up well for the kind of hunting that I do - stalking thru ravines and No'Texas scrub lookin' for deer and hog. I'll probably use light 120gr loads for deer and carry a few stouter 160gr-175gr loads for the larger hogs.

The trigger is fairly heavy - maybe 4-5lbs - but at least its relatively crisp. It's certainly not unacceptable for a rifle that's going to get used in the brush.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 77MkII Frontier, 7mm08 style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ccd
December 27, 2007, 02:33 AM
Looks good, I have one in 308. I am still not sold on the forward mounted scope, I have had mine for just under 2 years and am probably going to switch to a normal 1-4x variable. I also wish there was a decent aftermarket synthetic stock for it. But it should work well for busting hogs, and it is a very good truck gun.

rbernie
December 27, 2007, 10:46 AM
This is my third rifle in the safe with a forward-mounted scope. I find them to work well for me.

I wanted a 308, truth be told, because I have a fair investment in that chambering in other rifles and ammo stocks. But considering that I got this rifle for less than five bills out-the-door, I could easily rationalize the goodness of 7mm08. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 77MkII Frontier, 7mm08 style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!