Silver Screen Heroines & Ordinary Janes

PDA

Skunkabilly
January 10, 2003, 03:42 PM
I have a lot of lady friends that aren't necessarily anti-gun, but ordinary decent people, not into guns, some scared of them. Some like shooting, but don't see themselves buying one. They're smart enough to carry pepper spray and travel in pairs but don't think a knife (or pistol) is a necessity. Most are center to center-Left in their politics, some are Right-center.

A couple of them have silver screen heroines like Angelina Jolie from Tomb Raider, Charlie's Angels, etc., you know, your bad girl that doesn't take crap from anyone, and shoots and/or chop sockies BGs that get in the way.

What's up with women look up to these ACTRESSES but don't seek to start their character journey to Runtdom and Tamaradom?

Don't get me started on the guys I know who learn everything about tactics and firearms from Counter-Strike :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Silver Screen Heroines & Ordinary Janes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 10, 2003, 07:46 PM
It's all about being able to properly choose your heros and not having alot of onscreen female heros to actually choose from!

Lone Star
January 13, 2003, 06:05 PM
Think: how many positive role models of heroines using guns occur in TV and the movies? I hate to seem like the PR guy for TV's, "The Lost World", but Marguerite uses guns, Finn has her crossbow, and Veronica is very artful with her knives. But good girls with weapons are pretty much a no-no in liberal Hollywood.

Lone Star

GeorgeAtl
January 13, 2003, 06:45 PM
I love it!!:D

Uncle Ethan
January 13, 2003, 09:21 PM
Who enjoy the shooting sports. The area of shooting/hunting sports that has the highest percentage of Ladies who participate seems to be shotgunning/ bird hunting. I occasionally see one when I'm deer hunting, but I have seen many on opening day of dove season. The ones I have met seem to have been introduced to shooting sports by their father or another family member. I taught my wife to shoot, but she doesn't join me much. Learned it for self and home defense, but no real interest in pursuing it.

Uncle Ethan
January 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Who enjoy the shooting sports. The area of shooting/hunting sports that has the highest percentage of Ladies who participate seems to be shotgunning/ bird hunting. I occasionally see one when I'm deer hunting, but I have seen many on opening day of dove season. The ones I have met seem to have been introduced to shooting sports by their father or another family member. I taught my wife to shoot, but she doesn't join me much. Learned it for self and home defense, but no real interest in pursuing it.

Uncle Ethan
January 13, 2003, 09:23 PM

Ed Brunner
January 13, 2003, 09:52 PM
I believe the conflict is as you state it. They see the screen heroines as the fantasies they are and they see a real-world disconnect in there someplace.
As a young friend of the shooting persuasion, it is left to you to help the sweet young ladies explore that aspect of their identities and they will likely see you as their mystical saga-enabler and be forever greatful.
This is heavy stuff. I really need to get out more.

Ed Brunner
January 13, 2003, 09:55 PM
Once is enough

Skunkabilly
January 14, 2003, 12:49 AM
One of my friends thinks Angelina Jolie kicks. I don't find her attrative, but was half interested in seeing Tomb Raider for the custom stainless USP9's (twotone!!) and the G36's.

I taught my friend to shoot, she enjoyed it, but she's an Amnesty member, went to the peace rally on Saturday, and votes like Bono (is he even an American?).

It's obvious she likes the tactical girl image--I have a picture of her tacticalled out with my SOE Beretta thigh holster and Benelli on a tac sling, but doesn't want to follow the path to Tamaradom, even if I'm opening up the doors for her.

At least I got two other girls who plan on getting a gun at 21.

One's 21 but is stuck living on campus.

Ed Brunner
January 14, 2003, 07:24 AM
This could be a career. Is there any money in it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Silver Screen Heroines & Ordinary Janes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!