Good Rifle Scope with BDC???

PDA

Koontzy
December 27, 2007, 01:03 AM
wanting to go ahead and look for a scope also.. I have mostly decided on the rifle.... either a .30-06 or a .308 for now...... but whats a good rifle scope with a bull drop compensator???? dont want to spend awhole lot... want good range of scope also:)

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Rifle Scope with BDC???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
December 27, 2007, 01:19 AM
burris has a really simple and easy to use scope for this now, that accomodates several diff cals. I don't know if you are averse to gunshows, but if you can find on old hipowered Tasco, japan made, they come with bdc discs, that accomodated several diff cals as well, and after you zero'd your weapon, you put the correct disc, around the inner turret of you elevation knob. waa laa, turn in to the yardage range you want, and there you go.
they had 6 discs, that would range you from 22lr, all the way up to the hottest Wetherby mags.

RugerOldArmy
December 27, 2007, 01:55 AM
Most BDC's are set for common cartridges and loadings....so they're generalized, and your load may not match the intended ballistics. At that point, you usually can 'tune' things with the 2nd FP scopes, or if you reload, find a matching load. You may be close enough, that things work out.

But for all that trouble, a mil-dot scope may be a better option, and you'll have some range estimating capability. You can do an awful lot with mil-dot Bushnell Elite, a Mil-Dot Master slide rule, and a drop chart.

Some of the pricier FFP scopes improve on the mil-dot. USO, Nightforce, etc.

newsavageowner
December 27, 2007, 02:12 AM
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X BDC scope on my Savage .308. Very happy with it so far. I always leave the scope set on 18X and have noted the point of impact for the ammunition I settled with (after several trials for tightest groupings with my rifle) at various ranges. So now, when I go out to shoot, I know that at 200yds the bullets will hit at the top of the 1st circle, 300yds the bottom of the 2nd circle, and 400yds the center of the 3rd circle etc... Then I made a note of these offsets and taped it to my stock (polymer) since I don't get out to shoot very often. When I went out this past weekend I put a gallon milk jug at 400yds. 1st shot at it was right on and it exploded. This scope is so much fun! Every scope I buy from now on will probably have a BDC reticle. Good luck with your selection.

ArmedBear
December 27, 2007, 02:19 AM
For hunting, the Burris Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle is a good deal and a good scope. This reticle gets you real close -- close enough for hunting without having to do anything but pick a tick mark -- with most ammo, and comes with stickers with exact charts.

For really accurate target shooting, get a "tactical" scope made for dialing up your drop.

stubbicatt
December 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
These folks will manufacture a viable alternative for you: http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Don't Tread On Me
December 27, 2007, 07:25 PM
The cheapest, yet quality scope with a BDC will clearly be the Burris with the ballistic plex reticle. Nikon and Leupold have their versions, but they cost more and I believe Burris has the best BDC style.

Their ballistic plex is generalized. It is based on a common, average trajectory for most common, average cartridges.

For .308 and .30-06, it will be very close to on. You shouldn't worry, as the scope can be adjusted to make the BDC work better. Either by adjusting zero a few clicks or by adjusting magnification. But that really shouldn't happen with any mainstream cartrige because the difference will be within the stadia line thickness of the reticle. Often the difference is just 1" high or 1" low at 300, 400 yards for example. Well, well within the margin of error of other factors.

Here is a link to a PDF file on Burris' site showing the labels of each cartridge with their reticle and how high or low the bullet is at a given range with a given load.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BPlxlabl.pdf

rc109a
December 27, 2007, 07:51 PM
The Burris scope is great. It is easy to pick the spot to aim at and shoot. I did not like the Nikon. You basically put the circle over the area you want to shoot and hopefully it hits within that circle. Not very precise in my opinion, but both will work. I still like the burris better (own 3).

MCgunner
December 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
I've got a 4x12 Bushnell Banner on my .257 with a BDC that works fantastic. Clarity of the scope above 10x is not great, though, not a high end scope. There are far better out there, but the thing has held up well for 20 years of hunting and occasional shooting, even a few club matches. It's neat to be able to zip it down to a 100 yard zero for a match, then back up to a 250 yard zero for hunting. The drop ring I have on it matches the .257 loads pretty well out to 500 yards.

If you want to do serious shooting at ranges out past 500, I'd get a better scope for sure, one with better, clearer optics. You can spend whatever you want on a scope now days and the higher the dollar, generally, the better the optics. Some I consider overpriced (ahem, uh, Leupold), but still, generally, the more you spend, the better the scope. I've owned quite a few Bushnells over the years, none of 'em high dollar scopes, and they've all been rugged and reliable, just some of 'em lack a little clarity. I don't do serious target shooting, just hunt with 'em. If you're on a budget, consider the Bushnells. They're the ONLY lower end scopes that I trust and that's because I've owned quite a few of 'em and they've never let me down. In fact, that .257/Bushnell bailed me out on a west Texas hunt when a POS Simmons let me down. I'd go with a Burris if you could afford it, quality scope, but the Bushnells hold up and are under-rated by most IMHO.

dennisH87
May 11, 2008, 12:00 PM
i just bought a Nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 and but haven't used it yet. after doing my research i believe that the nikon is the best BDC scope because it allows you to use 3 different aiming points per dot. with the other reticles you get one aiming point therefore making it harder to match the reticle to the bullets trajectory. they are all set up for an average velocity of many cartridges. the only complaint that i am afraid that i will have is that the small dots and the reticle look like they're too fat. but like i said i haven't even received this scope yet so I'm not sure. if your interested in this scope i can post back and tell you how it is. i get it in about 2 days.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Rifle Scope with BDC???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!