Help me buy my first .22

PDA

CrazyFeet
December 27, 2007, 10:46 AM
I want to pick up a 22. I will use it for range time only. No hunting.
I would like it to be cheap, not a high end target gun. I would like it to be reliable/long lasting and somewhat easy to clean/maintain. Options to add accessories would be nice.

Thanks all feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me buy my first .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed Ames
December 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
Generic answer is "used 10/22" ... they aren't too expensive, they last a long time and are maintainable, and they've got the widest range of accessories. Used because you said cheap and 10/22s are getting spendy nowadays.

That said... For myself, I'd get a bolt action (CZ has a good rep -- I don't own one but I would). It'll cost a bit more up front and maybe a bit less overall (because you won't go buying a fancy aftermarket folding stock or other mumble mumble for it) but it'll be a LOT better for range use/target practice.

OAKVILLE SHOOTER
December 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
I second the 10/22, but I know the CZ guys will be along shortly.

CrazyFeet
December 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Looking into the ruger now.

I have to say i would rather a gun that feeds and shoots more consistently then a cheaper gun that I have to unjam a lot at the range.

The price of the ruger is not out of my range. Are there a lot of accessories for the ruger?

Shawnee
December 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
Go with the Ruger 10/22 or Ruger 77/22.

There are tons of accessories for the 10/22.

:cool:

ADKWOODSMAN
December 27, 2007, 11:41 AM
If you can find an older Remington bolt gun Model 511, 512 or 513 you will be a happy camper. Accurate solid and will last forever.

General Geoff
December 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
What kind of action are you looking for? Bolt, semi auto, lever, single shot? If you refine the criteria a bit, we can be of much more assistance. :)

ArmedBear
December 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
I sold my Ruger 10/22 and bought a Marlin 60 as my inexpensive .22 autoloader. The Marlin stock works much better with a scope, and at least my 60 has been much more accurate and reliable than the 10/22. I got sick of stovepipes, lousy accuracy, uncomfortable stock fit with a scope, and "click" when it was empty (every other gun locks open when it's empty; to get a Ruger to do that costs you 50 extra bucks).

Note that most 10/22 shooters have replaced at least some parts with aftermarket upgrades. There's a good reason for that.

As an inexpensive, reliable, accurate autoloader, I'd recommend the Marlin 60 hands down. These days, it's a lot cheaper than a 10/22, as well.

Now for really fun guns, I love my Marlin 39 lever guns, and the Henry lever guns are less expensive and have a loyal following as well. For a boltie, the CZ's are great and not too expensive, especially for their quality and accuracy, and checkered walnut stocks.

This site has a cult of CZ and a cult of 39.:) That's how much people like them.

But my new Marlin 60 cost me $120 and shoots great. The wood models all have laminate stocks, too, now; they're just stained in a solid color, so some people don't know they're laminates.

Vaarok
December 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
Marlin Model 39 or Henry lever action 22 rifle. Because who doesn't like a levergun?

CrazyFeet
December 27, 2007, 12:09 PM
i think i would prefer a semi auto but i would not rule out bolt action either.

Thanks for all the great posts so far!

I started my research into .22 's looking into the mossberg plinkster but after reading some reviews decided to stay clear. That lead me to the marlin's and then the ruger.

Again I would like to have a gun with minimal problems, fte,ftf, jams, etc, etc.

Most likely I would just throw a cheap scope on it or buy one with a scope.. maybe down the road change the stock and things like that

Eyesac
December 27, 2007, 12:31 PM
Casting my 10/22 vote...

tubeshooter
December 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
You won't be able to beat a 10/22 for accessories. Marlin model 60 doesn't have nearly as many but is tried and true - you have to like tube feed, though.

There are a couple of other entry-level options. If you're just looking to get in the game, you probably won't go far wrong with any of them.

scrat
December 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
I sold my Ruger 10/22 and bought a Marlin 60 as my inexpensive .22 autoloader. The Marlin stock works much better with a scope, and at least my 60 has been much more accurate and reliable than the 10/22. I got sick of stovepipes, lousy accuracy, uncomfortable stock fit with a scope, and "click" when it was empty (every other gun locks open when it's empty; to get a Ruger to do that costs you 50 extra bucks).

Agree i have both a marlin model 60 and a marlin 700. toe to toe. with a ruger 22 my marlins will outshoot a ruger any day. Especially my 700. The model 700 is a big 5 model 700 which is a copy of the model 70. the model 60 is a tube fed. its very quick and easy to load. No cut thumbs and dealing with a huge magazine for a little bullet. The model 700 is a magazine. i have 2 7round magazines and 3 15rnd magazines. So it just depends. some 10/22 people will say tube fed thats no good. i say ok whatever. Then shoot next to them. we are both done. they pull the magazine out and start to load. i unscrew the top piece pull the ram rod out fill up the tube and and put the ram screw back in. Then start shooting. While they are still loading. Then i get tired of the tube fed. so i grab my 700. Put a 15 rnd clip in it. start shooting. When im done i pull it out and start reloading at twice the speed. Then start shooting. ok accuracy.

my 700 the other week i took it out to the range. I went to the steel side. Amazing i would put a 15rnd mag in. Every pull i hit steel. every single shot. My 14 year old son was doing the same exact thing.

Break down. i can take apart both rifles in less than two minutes. Spend about 4 minutes cleaning them. then have them back together in two minutes.

akolleth
December 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
Marlin model 60 for a cheap, accurate, reliable, fun little gun that doesn't require hundreds of dollars of "Accurizers" like the 10/22 to make it useful

It's tube fed, semi auto. Reliable as all get out, and crazy accurate for its price. Holds either 14 rounds or 18, depending on the age of the gun.

The best thing is the price, I bought mine for $50 :what: :what: at a gun show, you can get them brand spanking new for $125

Wolfgang2000
December 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
I sold my Marlin 60 and bought a 10-22. The marlin jammed after a box of shells. It was a OK plinker but accuracy was nothing to write home about.

I bought a Wally world 10-22, (the one with the laminate stock), I've never looked back. Right out of the box it shot a 10 shot group that could be covered with a dime. This was at 25 yards rested, with 10 year old federal lightning ammo.

We are not made with a cookie cutter. What works for me may not work for you. I'm a Marlin fan, but I couldn't get a marlin semi auto 22 to work for me. I like Ruger, and have never had a problem with them. My oldest step-son was shooting his new GP-100 and after 5 shots the barrel went down range.

Bottom line, if it is made my man it can fail. Shoulder a couple different types and get the one that fits you the best. Pick the action that you like the best. Then just jump in, the water is fine! :D

Superpsy
December 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
another 10/22 vote here. As for adding accessories...whew, you can change the stock gun completely with after-market parts if you would like. I've changed my extractor (increased reliability) and bolt pin (no annoying clacking noise) and I'm looking into changing the trigger. I'm not a fan of the 10/22 stock trigger. ick.

If you have time checkout rimfirecentral.org. It's a great resource.

Six O'clock Tactical
December 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
I have an old (mid 60's) Marlin model 60 and an OLD ('47) Remmington 510 Spotrmaster. To be perfectly honest, the 60 (and I probably have the "great lemon" in terms of getting what you'd never expect from something you don't expect much from)...(everyone follow that? Yeah I had a tough time too...) shoots with insane accuracy for any inexpensive .22. I use quality ammo, and a decent Bushnell, and also had the crown redone by my local smith, but even that doesnt explain 1.5 MOA groups with a Marlin semi.

The Remmington on the other hand is insane because not only did I only pay $100 for it, but it looks pretty sharp, is bolt and detachable-fed, eats every type of .22 ammo out there (not including mag of course) and has the fully micro-adjustable rear peep sight. Basically when I saw it I knew it was the perfect long plinker for me.

Where was I going with all this...

Oh yeah:
Basically what I'm saying is that youre going to just need to look for guns that wont give you trouble. Levers, bolts and pumps are the perfect way to go, as they dont jam nearly a fraction of the time and add a fun dimension of firing a gun where semis just seem to make you... lazy. I love firing pump and lever, and I think most would agree that with low-cost ammo, stovepipe jams are common with semis and that takes alot of fun out of the whole range day.

CrazyFeet
December 27, 2007, 02:15 PM
yeah thats what I would like to avoid. I dont want to mess around with the gun... i want to shoot it :)

thats why I am not ruling out levers or pumps or bolt action.

This is not my first gun just my first 22. My nephew has one and wants me to get one so we can shoot 22's together..

I will probably swing by the gun shop today and see what they have in stock. That should make my decision a little easier.

trueg50
December 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
They should have a couple models of 10/22 kicking around.

I have a carbine, but it felt a little too "short", my solution? Throw on a 10/22 recoil pad, added 1-2 inches and feels much nicer now. Plus it is rubberized so when I lean it against anything I don't have to worry about it sliding.

Other than that I love it.

Also, keep an eye out for Scoremasters, I shot my fathers 511, and that was a beauty. Not too cheap but 77/22's are among the top 22's you can buy.

hags
December 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
Forget about the 10/22 if you want a shooter out of the box.
If you want to tinker and throw away money than go for it.
Consider either the Thompson/Center R-55 Benchmark or, and I know it's a bolt action but, a CZ 452.
Both are extremely accurate and very well built.
The T/C has a better trigger, better barrel, a much better stock and a lifetime warranty.
You could dump hundreds into a 10/22 and not have it shoot as well as a T/C Benchmark right out of the box.
Ask me how I know.......:D

CrazyFeet
December 27, 2007, 04:18 PM
How do you know? :)

Thanks

Six O'clock Tactical
December 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ahh yes... the family shoot. May I suggest making sure that you get a gun of a different action than your nephew? Just so you can trade off and mix things up a bit.

rangerruck
December 27, 2007, 08:35 PM
the ruger 10.22 is not a beginner's gun, at all, and that goes with any semi auto, but even more so , especially the 10.22. you should have an understanding of how semi auto's work, you should have someone else take one apart for you and explain to you, you should be handy with tools.
get a bolt action, they are simple , require almost no cleaning at all, and you can pick them up at new stores, gun shops, or pawnshops. your best bet is to go to a gunshop, that has their guns checked out by a gunsmith to make sure they work and fire, and buy a used one there, as cheap as possible, that you like. Have them explain it to you, how to load it, take it apart, etc. That way , if you do have a problem with it in the next month, if they are a decent store, not only will they remember you, because they explained the weapon to you, but usually a gunstore will take something back they sold to you used, within 30 days.

gotime242
December 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
Marlin 7000

5 years so far, not one malf.

http://www.interarms.no/7000.jpg

davera
December 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
A vote here for a Marlin in any of the available action types, semi = 60, inexpensive, reliable and plenty accurate, lever = 39A more expensive but still reliable and accurate, bolt = 925 or 981 types, you know the rest.

Remington still makes a pump action in the 572 and their 552 is a nice classic style autoloader.

mossberg
December 27, 2007, 09:23 PM
Never had any problems with my Mossberg 702 plinkster. Maybe I got lucky, Maybe you can too.

scrat
December 27, 2007, 11:06 PM
Marlin 7000

5 years so far, not one malf.

Looks just like my model 700 except i have a wood stock. i can use 15 rnd clips in mine too.

this is my marlin 700 next to my 50 cal bp
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/GetAttachment-3.jpg

CB900F
December 28, 2007, 12:27 AM
Crazy;

Here I am, the apparant lone voice. If you want inexpensive, reliable, and a shooter, you could do a lot worse than to pick up a Savage MKII .22lr bolt gun. A very nice thing about the Savage, unlike any Marlin or Ruger .22, is that you can get a specific left handed model should you be left master eyed.

I don't know what the accu-trigger model sells for these days, but the older ones went for something around $120.00 at Wally-world.

If you're so inclined, they're easy, and fun, to fiddle with. If you don't want to, no sweat the odds are way with you for being accurate enough out to 50 yards for range/plinking purposes.

900F

CrazyFeet
December 28, 2007, 09:49 AM
just a note.. this isnt my fist gun. It will be my first 22. I think Id prefer a semi auto but a bolt wouldnt be too bad either.

I looked at some marlin m60's yesterday 85 bucks used no rugers new or used. Ill keep popping my head in there to see if any rugers show up.

This also will most likely not be my last 22 either :)

Thanks for the help!

stubbicatt
December 29, 2007, 09:49 PM
The CZ 452 is a heck of a nice rifle. Accurate and really classy. Made mostly of steel, with the exception of the plastic magazine.

spiroxlii
December 30, 2007, 12:25 AM
Some people love the 10/22. Others think it's overrated and unreliable.

I'll admit that I've stood firmly on both sides of the line. A few years ago, I wrote off my dad's old 10/22 as an unreliable rifle due to stovepipe jams and failures to feed.

Last year I cleaned it and threw away the cheap 25 round magazine my dad bought for the rifle. Properly cleaned and using the Ruger factory mag (or a Hot Lips high cap), I have not experienced a single malfunction in over 1000 rounds that was the rifle's fault. I have had bad primers, but that's not the gun's fault. It's the ammo.

The 10/22 has been in production for a long time. Maybe quality control has varied over the years. Or maybe some folks aren't ever cleaning theirs. Or maybe not ALL of the aftermarket accessories available for this rifle actually improve it. Or maybe some people have had a bad taste left in their mouths by bad ammo.

I dunno. All I know is that my opinion about my own 10/22 was improved vastly when I simply cleaned it and threw away low quality aftemarket parts.

CajunBass
December 30, 2007, 12:53 AM
To tell you the truth, I haven't seen a 22 rifle I don't like. I've (or my wife and I) have five now. We've got two 10/22's, a Marline 39-A, a Stevens 65, and a Remington 597. They're all good.

For the money it's hard to beat a 10/22 if you want a fun gun. Ours are more than accurate enough to knock squirrels out of trees at any range I've got enough nerve to take a shot. They're both stock out of the box. A few jams at first, but after a couple hundred rounds they're run like clockwork.

For a timeless classic it's hard to beat a 39-A. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about them. The new ones have a few "lawyer" features, but that's to be expected these days. They're still fine rifles, but they are not inexpensive. Well worth it, if you've got the money though. I got mine about 25 years ago, and it's the last gun I'd get rid of, even though I don't shoot it as much as I should.

politicalgeek
December 30, 2007, 01:34 AM
Another option is a Marlin/Glenfield/Other Marlin Variant model 25

Just picked one up at a pawn shop for 75 out the door and shot it today, pretty good shooter and I know it is far more capable than I am able to do right now...

Wolfgang2000
December 30, 2007, 02:03 AM
A BL-22 (Browning Lever action) is a very fun gun to shoot. The lever throw if very short. Just open and close your hand works the action.

J_L_A
December 31, 2007, 12:11 AM
Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. Both are nice for the money.

the lone gunman
December 31, 2007, 12:31 AM
Look around for something used. I just got a Marlin 880 bolt 22lr from a friend for $65.00. It shoots better than I do , 7 round magazine, open sights. I did add a scope to it as my eyes are to old.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me buy my first .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!