Marlin acquired by Remington!!

PDA

evbutler462
December 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NYW02426122007-1.htm

Another one bites the dust-or does it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin acquired by Remington!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
December 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah...

One of the few American companies I still bought new guns from, bought by a company that chased me off.

Damn, I just bought a few Marlins -- great guns! -- and now I'll have to buy whatever others I want before Remington's influence starts to show...

My opinion: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=317009&page=2

And I really do know shotgunners who refer to a hammer as a Remington Loading Tool.

asknight
December 27, 2007, 11:08 AM
Cerberus owns Bushmaster and Remington (and Chrysler among many other companies), and now Remington owns Marlin, which owns New England/Harrington & Richardson. Bushmaster owns Cobb Manufacturing, etc.

Cerberus is beginning to get my scrutiny...

ArmedBear
December 27, 2007, 11:12 AM
Bushmaster makes perfectly acceptable AR's. For a higher price than their equivalents from other vendors.

The Deer Hunter
December 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
I have seen a couple MA complient Bushmasters for about $1000 around here(in MA).

But its too bad the these companies are loosing their individuality and becoming a giant "monster".

glockman19
December 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
Great. Now let's hope the deeper pockets & larger production line of Remington can produce that Marlin 1894C .357 Stainlss Steel again as a regular rifle rather than a special run. I'd love to have one.

Leadhead
December 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
Great. Now let's hope the deeper pockets & larger production line of Remington can produce that Marlin 1894C .357 Stainlss Steel again as a regular rifle rather than a special run. I'd love to have one.

X2 lets see some stainless trappers while were at it!

MAX100
December 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
If it's so, Remington now owns the company that imports copies of the 870 from China.

GC

ArmedBear
December 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
Now let's hope the deeper pockets & larger production line of Remington can produce that Marlin 1894C .357 Stainlss Steel again as a regular rifle

As long as they build and price it like a Marlin.

If Remington made the same gun, it would have firewood-grade press-checkered walnut, lousy fit and a lousy finish, for $750, unless you pay $1500 for the Custom shop version. Or, you could get the 1894C XCR with a plastic stock for $1000.

Blue Brick
December 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
:cuss::fire:

paintballdude902
December 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
did Cerberus pass go and collect 200 dollars because this sounds alot like a monopoly to me

ladykilla
December 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
Wonder who the hippocrates will buy from now?????

ArchAngelCD
December 28, 2007, 01:11 AM
I'm not happy about this buy-out. I like Marlin products but I highly doubt they will remain the same now that Remington owns them. Sometimes a boy-out like this makes both companies better. I don't think that's the case here, Marlin products will suffer IMO.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 28, 2007, 01:56 AM
Jeez, I guess I'm gonna have to hurry up and buy that 1895 I've been wanting for a while now.

TimT
December 28, 2007, 01:59 AM
and here I just gave away my 1895G that I had WWG do up for me some yrs back to my kid brother-good grief!:banghead:

ugaarguy
December 28, 2007, 03:04 AM
The news is that Cerberus is putting Marlin under Remington. Cerberus bought Marlin a few weeks ago.

possom813
December 28, 2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/27/business/NA-FIN-COM-US-Remington-Arms-Marlin.php

HARTFORD, Connecticut: Remington Arms Co. Inc. will acquire Marlin Firearms Co. in a deal that brings together two U.S. firearm companies founded in the 19th century.

Remington, acquired by Cerberus Capital Management in April, will add Marlin's long guns, including shoulder arm designs and lever action rifles. Marlin's lever action .22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters like Annie Oakley, a legendary sharpshooter.

Terms of the deal for the privately held Martin Firearms were not disclosed.

A spokesman for Madison, North Carolina-based Remington would not comment on whether the company plans additional acquisitions. Calls to Cerberus were not immediately returned.

Marlin was founded in 1870 by John M. Marlin, who worked at the colt weapons plant during the Civil War before opening his own shop to manufacture revolvers and derringers.

"We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century," said Frank Kenna III, chairman of North Haven-based company.

Kenna said Remington's "resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position" made the deal attractive.

Under the agreement, Robert Behn will remain president of Marlin. The deal is expected to close in January.

Remington was founded in 1816.

"The opportunity to combine two historic U.S.-based companies with such storied and proud histories is both challenging and exhilarating," Tommy Millner, Remington's chief executive, said in a statement.

The deal will provide both companies access to areas that now are beyond their reach in the $4.1 billion (2.8 billion) industry, said Chris Dolnack, senior vice president at the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade group.

Remington will be able to tap into Marlin's niche of lever-action rifles and Marlin will be part of a much larger company with a full line of shotguns, ammunition and rifles, Dolnack said.

"I think it's typical of what you see in most industries right now," he said. "There's some consolidation for sure, not only on the firearms side but also in accessories as well."

Some info on Cerberus: http://seekingalpha.com/article/58417-can-cerberus-survive-the-hole-it-s-digging

Would you negotiate a deal with the three headed dog from hell? Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. has failed to complete three of its announced acquisitions in 2007. It failed to do a deal with Affiliated Computer Services (NYSE:ACS), H&R Block's Option One Mortgage (NYSE:HRB), and now United Rentals, Inc (NYSE:URI).

Cerberus is currently taking on huge losses at both Chrysler LLC and at GMAC's Rescap unit and will either have to make additional equity investments or put these companies into bankruptcy. This would not be the first of their portfolio companies to file bankruptcy as Aegis Mortgage, of which Cerberus bought a controlling stake in 1998, filed for bankruptcy in August of this year.

By failing to complete so many of its announced acquisitions in 2007, I believe Cerberus may ultimately hurt itself more than the companies it didn't buy as some companies may refuse to negotiate future offers without some very large non-refundable break-up fees held in escrow.

Buzztail
December 28, 2007, 05:48 AM
I just want 'em to build the .480 Ruger we were promised.

plexreticle
December 28, 2007, 06:00 AM
All they have to do now is pull a S&W and we won't have to worry about the government taking our 2A rights. Private industry will do it for us.

stan in sc
December 28, 2007, 07:09 AM
DPMS also was bought by the conglomerate so all of these are under one roof now.

ArmedBear
December 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
DPMS doesn't really matter. They don't make a thing that you can't buy from countless others.

Marlin, OTOH makes unique guns of top quality, for a good price.

bofe954
December 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think there will be any shortage of 336 30-30's any time soon. There have been a few on the board that people were struggling to sell for less than $300 shipped.

asknight
December 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
ArmedBear, I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing. I'm also wondering if the "pre-2008" 336s and 1895s will be in such demand as the Winchesters were after 2006 and inflate to exorbitant amounts. That is, if folks think the days of the traditional lever action are numbered. :(

I'm exceedingly scared that Remington will see the machine work required in a lever action rifle and cheapen it down with casted parts, plastic, or other blasphemy! :uhoh:

As you said earlier, Remington has already cheapened down their rifle line as much as the consumers in the industry can tolerate. That has given us pressed checkering on firewood grade timber, the lowest grade plastics, and bead blasted finishes as the standard.

I will now reiterate what many other members have said... :cuss::cuss::cuss:

I don't think there will be any shortage of 336 30-30's any time soon. There have been a few on the board that people were struggling to sell for less than $300 shipped.

The Win-94s were the same way...

bofe954
December 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
There's a win 94 on the board right now for $350. I saw one at a local gunshow a few weeks ago for $365. The off calibers and lower production models may be harder to find, but there are so many lever actions, there are plenty for everyone. There may be some short term cost spike but the prices will come back down.

This is also assuming anything will even change with Marlin's lever production. I would think the buyer would leave it alone since there isn't much in the way of competition with winchester currently out of the picture.

asknight
December 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
That one was posted 3 hours ago. See how long it lasts at that price...

ArmedBear
December 28, 2007, 03:14 PM
Some 94s are junk. I handled one in a shop the other day. POS. Rough action, junk stock.

Depends on the 94. My hunting buddy has one that's beautiful; fit, finish and operation are all top-notch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin acquired by Remington!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!