The "Is this a fair price for a..." thread!

PDA

Green Lantern
December 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Thought I might start up a thread where people could ask fellow THRs about guns they want to buy, to get a feel if the price being asked is reasonable. I don't think I'm really a newbie at the gun buying thing in general, but today I found myself checking out a type of gun that I hadn't ever looked seriously at before - and realized that I had no clue about what sorts of prices I should expect. And given that prices change over time....well, seems like I wouldn't be the ONLY one with this question from time to time.

Anyway:

Today at the local general store/gunstore, I was doing some window shopping and came across a VERY nice .357 snub. Smith and Wesson, "M&P" marked, some sort of black finish, concealed hammer. And when the lady handed to me out of the case, I also realized it had a great front sight - a BIG white ball with a green tritium insert. Made by "XS," possibly?

The gun seemed lightweight (not much experience with snubs, though), though I didn't notice the warning printed on the barrel of the super-lightweight Scandium Smiths to only use ammo of at least a certain bullet weight.

The lady seemed a bit taken aback by the price, thinking it was a bit high. It WAS expensive (by my standards), but I didn't feel it was unreasonable given the lightweight and that great sight.

Sticker price was around $670.

And, as I type this in one window, methinks I found the gun's official site on another one:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=53911&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

Price there listed is $845!!!!!!

Of course, I don't think I've EVER seen a gun go for as much as the "suggested retail price" before, anyway, so I guess the thread still stands...

(Ugh - it must BE Scandium if it's the same gun, less than 14oz...I don't know if I want one THAT light or not, even with .38s in it....but that's a thread for 'nother time... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "The "Is this a fair price for a..." thread!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "The "Is this a fair price for a..." thread!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!