I just DON'T like shooting indoors!

PDA

boalex207
December 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
I have shot at some very nice indoor ranges. But, all things being equal, I would rather shoot at a crappy, run down, outdoor range than a brand new state-of-the-art indoor facility.

I just think shooting outdoors is the way God intended !

I'll shoot inside when there is no other convenient option, but otherwise give me an outdoor range......

what say you ?

If you enjoyed reading about "I just DON'T like shooting indoors!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
davepool
December 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
I don't like them either, the lighting is bad,they're expensive, and people get pissed when i pull out the S&W .500 AKA flame thrower:). We have a great outdoor range in Phoenix, 5 bucks to shoot all day, it's maintained by the state Fish and Game department, and has one of best safety records in the country

scrat
December 27, 2007, 10:34 PM
outside only. apparently people do not like me shooting my black powder handguns indoors

BridgeWalker
December 27, 2007, 10:34 PM
I've never shot indoors and have no plans to start.

Shooting outdoors in the winter is just a way of reminding myself that I don't *really* want to go camping this week *that* badly. :o

Constantine-p89
December 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Outside 4ever

Phydeaux642
December 27, 2007, 10:40 PM
I shoot indoors a lot at Bass Pro. It's $75.00 a year to join and I can go whenever I want. I would like to shoot at an outdoor range, but there is nothing all that close to me. Plus, I usually shoot at night and the outdoor ranges around here are daytime only.

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

possum
December 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
i prefer to be outdoors especially when i am at range that they don't mind or care what drills i do ad how i do em, as long as i am safe of course. but i don't mind the indoor ranges. i am kinda restricted to what i can do and can't in there, but i think the indoor ranges really make you work on the fundamentals alot more than i normally would at an outdoor range.

Thain
December 27, 2007, 11:03 PM
I prefer outdoors, but... somestimes its just too dang cold. (Those days are my wife's turn!)

Black Majik
December 27, 2007, 11:04 PM
I prefer shooting outdoors, but sometimes it's just too hot/cold to be outdoors. When the urge to go shoot comes... indoors does well too.

Kimber1911_06238
December 27, 2007, 11:04 PM
double post

Kimber1911_06238
December 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
strictly outdoors, even in the winter.....it's worth it

rero360
December 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
yeah, shooting indoors is no fun, you get bullet holes in all your stuff, plus its always louder, neighbor always complaining "You shot my cat through the wall!" wah wah wah, what a bunch of complainers.

although I will say my couch is awfully comfy, makes those long strings of fire much easier than a hard bench. lol.

elderboy02
December 27, 2007, 11:15 PM
I have to shoot indoors as there are not many outdoor ranges nearby.

Tommygunn
December 27, 2007, 11:29 PM
I shoot blackpowder revolvers and have only shot one indoors once, when the outdoor range I usually used was closed. I didn't particularly care for it since the lighting wasn't really good, and when you're charging the gun you really like to be able to see the powder in the cylinder chambers.
I'd asked permission to go there before I left and the range officer okayed it (that range didn't normally take BP guns but since I'd called and agreed to come in at the final relay, they OKayed it). I would not go to an indoor range again.

M2 Carbine
December 27, 2007, 11:35 PM
Years ago I had an indoor 50 foot range in the barn. Didn't enjoy it much. Only shoot outside now.

Black Adder LXX
December 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
Down here there aren't many places outdoors that don't completely suck to shoot at. There wasn't an option that didn't make exclusive indoor range sound like wussies that hate to be cold, so I went with the 'outdoor when nothing is available' one, even though it never gets cold here...

I would like to go outside, there is no good option here though...

boalex207
December 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
There wasn't an option that didn't make exclusive indoor range sound like wussies that hate to be cold,

I phrased it to tilt that way :neener:

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 27, 2007, 11:58 PM
I shoot indoor Bullseye league in winter only because we shoot evenings and there just isn't enough daylight. But come spring, summer and fall, we shoot all other competitions outdoors. There are year round shoots outdoors on the weekends rain or shine. We're a private club though. I suppose that helps.

-Steve

Big Boomer
December 28, 2007, 12:07 AM
I've never shot indoors, what's it like?

rdrancher
December 28, 2007, 12:12 AM
I would rather shoot at a crappy, run down, outdoor range than a brand new state-of-the-art indoor facility.

Yep, the one right behind my barn. :D

rd

Fast Frank
December 28, 2007, 01:11 AM
Well, shooting at an indoor range DOES have some advantages.

Like the electric targets.

See, at an outdoor range we have to all stop shooting at the same time, clear our weapons, make sure the range is clear, walk down to the targets, change our targets, walk back to the firing line, wait for the Bozo who ran out of staples to do it twice, make sure the firing line is clear, and then we can start shooting again.

With electric targets, we won't be doing any of that.

Want a new target? Just push a button and the old one comes to you.

I can keep shooting while you do that.

Also, the target isn't at a single fixed distance.

Want to shoot groups at 10, 15, and 25 yards for a contest?

No problem... go for it!

It really makes a shooting session more pleasant when you don't have to organize everybody for target changes.

Also, the indoor ranges often have bullet proof steel reinforced booths for the shooters.

It makes me feel a little better about standing five feet away from somebody I've never even seen before while he handles a cheap nine millimeter.

gbran
December 28, 2007, 01:25 AM
We only have one indoor range. It has 8 lanes. Because of the air filtration system for lead, the fans blow so hard that the hanging targets move enough that precision shooting is not an option. But the real problem is that cold outside air is circulated inside and it's so cold in the winter with the wind chill factor, you're usually warmer shooting outdoors.

Valkman
December 28, 2007, 03:01 AM
I have shot many thousands of rounds indoors but I'd much rather be outside, mostly because of the noise and having to double up on ear protection. Besides, I have BLM land right across the road! But anymore when the wife insists on going to Vegas and shopping I'll go to an indoor range. Better than nothing. :)

Feanaro
December 28, 2007, 03:53 AM
I would prefer an outdoor range but don't have that option.

loop
December 28, 2007, 04:03 AM
Shooting indoors makes the pictures fall off the walls and the roof leak (personal experience).

Besides, a .357 in an eight by 12 room makes my ears hurt.

So far missed the pipes under the floor...

Mojo-jo-jo
December 28, 2007, 04:05 AM
Unfortunately, I shoot mainly indoors because the closest outdoor range that isn't an exclusive (must have political/elite social connections and $$$$ to get in) club is about two hours drive away.

I hate shooting anything but pistol indoors. Maybe that's why I've become a rifle 'collector' instead of a rifle 'shooter.'

Dr. Dickie
December 28, 2007, 07:19 AM
I kinda stopped shooting about 30 years ago, because all I knew about then was an indoor range. HATED IT! Standing in a little closet, gun on the table before me, banging away at target without being able to move anything but my arms and eyes.
No rifles, have to shoot their crappy ammo. Real armchair commandos running the range. YUCK!
Then about 5 years ago (with the internet by my side) I discovered an outdoor range within driving distance.
I am now there at least once a week, and am bumping that up to twice a week in the new year.
All the difference in the world. They have back "general purpose" pistol bays where you are left to do what YOU want to do (safely of course). I can set-up some IDPA style targets and practice shooting around things, on the move, practice my draw, etc. Or shoot bulllseye if I so desire. RO drives by every 1/2 hour or so to shoot the breeze.
Freedom to do what you want, who would have ever thought that would be important!:evil:

If I had to go back to indoor only, I would have to reduce back to a couple of handguns (not that I own any guns--they're yucky!) and go once or twice a year, OR MOVE.

weisse52
December 28, 2007, 07:22 AM
I like to shoot outdoor for lots or reasons. But I will take what I can get for where I am living right now.

Linda
December 28, 2007, 08:01 AM
I refuse to pay to go shoot indoors at a piece of paper, from a table, and not be able to do moving/shooting.

Yes, I'm spoiled:

I HAVE MY OWN OUTDOOR RANGE!!!!

:neener::neener::neener:

PTK
December 28, 2007, 08:03 AM
I dislike shooting indoors for a few reasons. First, lead exposure is higher at indoor ranges. Second, NOISE. Even silenced, my firearms are simply loud inside due to echo. Third, distance. Ever try finding an indoor range over 100 yards?

Hanzerik
December 28, 2007, 08:09 AM
I shoot outdoors...no choice around here as there are no indoor ranges that I know of. Even if there was an indoor range I wouldn’t pay to shoot at it. Now if it was free then maybe I’d use it during the coldest times of winter.

thumbody
December 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
I have the acreage to shoot outdoors safely and prefer it over indoor any day.
It is much easier to help each other since you don't need to yell over other shooters or leave the range area to talk.
For introducing new shooters you also don't have the distraction of someone with a .460 or .500 shooting next to you.

You also are free to shoot at reactive targets (tin cans, golf balls, spinners,computer parts etc).

When I visit relatives in the metro Detroit area I will go to an indoor range rather than not shoot.

PTK

Third, distance. Ever try finding an indoor range over 100 yards?

Yep

http://duncansoutdoor.com/ranges.htm

I have never shot at the rifle ranges but they do have a 200 yd indoor range.

Stump Water
December 28, 2007, 09:03 AM
I've never shot indoors, what's it like?

LOUD!

Hate it.

Cannonball888
December 28, 2007, 09:08 AM
Indoors costs money, has poor lighting, more lead exposure, and the dividers cause blast ampflication in addition to hot brass ricocheting. I once saw a woman with a low-neck blouse doing a dance to get a hot shell out of there.

thumbody
December 28, 2007, 09:33 AM
I once saw a woman with a low-neck blouse doing a dance to get a hot shell out of there.

This can happen outdoors as well as my wife can verify.(She no longer walks up on the right side of me when I'm shooting):evil:

Cannonball888
December 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
Quote:
I once saw a woman with a low-neck blouse doing a dance to get a hot shell out of there.

This can happen outdoors as well as my wife can verify.(She no longer walks up on the right side of me when I'm shooting)
I hear ya, but this woman was doing the shooting. Could only happen this way indoors. Heck, my own shells were bouncing off the divider and hitting me in the head.

LiquidTension
December 28, 2007, 09:50 AM
I really don't like shooting indoors and only do it when I have no other choice. Touching off magnum calibers indoors sucks. And the range people try to steal my brass.

Mr White
December 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
Living in Upper Podunkia has its advantages, but the existence of nearby indoor ranges is not one of them. Over the winter, I'd probably shoot at an indoor range if there was one, just to stay in practice. But as soon temps climbed into the 20s, off to the real (meaning outdoor) range.

doc2rn
December 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
My only barrier to the outdoor range is it's exclusivity. I am not sure I wouldn't be better off buying a tract of land to hunt on vs what they charge! $250 to apply for membership, and $150 a month. That $400 would take me almost a year to burn up in range fees indoors. I would be better off pooling money with friends and buying land to shoot on.

murph50
December 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
I almost joined an outdoor gun club. It was about 20 miles away. Then I found out about an indoor range that's only 2 miles from my house. It's a private club that is open 24/7 to it's members.
So yea --I would probably prefer to shoot outdoors but given that my indoor range is close and very convenient --I get to shoot more often--and basically any time I want. I have gone to this range after midnight to test out new loads and such.

RPCVYemen
December 28, 2007, 12:35 PM
It's a private club that is open 24/7 to it's members.

Wow! That sounds awesome.

I shoot mainly indoors because it's convenient. Like a lot of folks who live in the suburbs, an outdoor range is a long ways away. I shoot at a very nice county build indoor range that had a 100 meter rifle range. The county built the range for LEO exercises (they have a garage door on one range, so they can bring in vehicles). It's open to civilians certain hours.

You can shoot anything (I think including 50 BMG, but I am not sure). Black powder, full auto, etc. :) The ventilation system is very powerful - which means the range is hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. :uhoh: I like it a lot. There is one local outdoor range that I will probably join, but it's location is becoming an issue. It was out in the boonies when built, but now surrounded by subdivisions. That's limited them to pistol and shotgun only in the last ten years.

Mike

jamz
December 28, 2007, 12:44 PM
I prefer an ol' gravel pit. :)

CountGlockula
December 28, 2007, 12:55 PM
The outdoor ranges are far from me, so I exclusively go to my indoor range which is only 10 minutes from my place.

Also I work there so shooting is FREE!:neener:

XDKingslayer
December 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
I can't stand indoor ranges. You usually have to buy their overpriced reloaded ammo. They usually have stupid rules where you can't practice your double taps or fast shooting.

mikec
December 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
Let's see, the indoor range is five to ten minutes away depending on traffic and lights. The nearest outdoor range is an easy 45 minutes if traffic is light. Could be 1 1/2 hrs if traffic is bad. The indoor range limits guns to those rounds who have muzzle velocity to 2,000 fps or less. I can shoot my Marlin .357 lever gun there or any .22rf rifle and all of my handguns.

Cold isn't the problem, I have shot an HK 93 in the snow and cold of suburban Buffalo in the winter. Maybe 20 degrees. Try shooting in high 90 degree temps when the humidity are as high as the temperature. You know, when you sweat just breathing.

CountGlockula
December 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
You usually have to buy their overpriced reloaded ammo.

Therefore you bring your own gun with your OWN ammo.

They usually have stupid rules where you can't practice your double taps or fast shooting.

There's a reason why there are RULES. If you choose to break them,...go ahead. Anyways, rapid fire isn't usually allowed because Joe Blow doesn't know how to aim and therefore damages ceilings and walls. In addition, there are too many that shoot "gangsta" style.

Rule556
December 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
I only use the indoor ranges at this time of the year, when it's too cold to shoot otdoors or when it gets dark too early for me to do much shooting.

mikec
December 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
Therefore you bring your own gun with your OWN ammo.

There is a range outside DC in Merryland that I was told by a work buddy they require you to use THEIR ammo even if you bring your own gun. Some warped county law. Somehow your box of Federal or WW ammo isn't the same as the one the shop sells... I'd love to see the faces of the counter folk if someone brought in a 9x21 or other odd ball non-traditional caliber gun.

Detachment Charlie
December 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have COPD (that's emphezema with government research dollars) and my lungs can't take indoor shooting any more. No matter how well ventilated the range, I'll get a broncchial infection from shooting indoors.:barf:
Luckily, there are a few decent outdoor ranges nearby. But, man, hoofin' it 100 yds. down to set the target and then another 100 yds. back means a 5 min. rest to get my heart rate and breathing to where it pays to pull the trigger.
Gettin' old is a bitch. But considering the options......:eek:

TimM
December 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
It is way too expensive for me to shoot at indoor facilities. I can shoot at a local outdoor range (5 pistol berms, sporting clays, trap, long and short range rifle as well as other activities) for a membership of $150/year. That same $150 won't even get me 5 trips to the local indoor ranges.

Feanaro
December 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
They usually have stupid rules where you can't practice your double taps or fast shooting.

My indoor range has a rule against that and shotguns, even though the range if capable of handling them. There's a good reason too. The number of people who will put a hole through the roof on a double tap is high.

If you aren't incompetent and there aren't any idjits who might get ideas around, most of those rules can be waived at my range. That's probably the only reason I can still get any practice in at all.

Mt Shooter
December 28, 2007, 04:39 PM
your poll doesnt give me the right option, there is no indoor range. I belong to the gun club which has excellant pistol bays, rifle bays, sporting clays etc. but when the wind is blowing and zero or below outside I really dont feel like going to the range and would like to have the "indoor option"

mad hungarian
December 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
Outdoor range even when it is cold or raining. Indoor range on the days the outdoor one is closed:neener:.

MH

tallpaul
December 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
I am spoiled I guess. My club range has indoor pistol (lead/no magnum loads) and .22 rifle and a great outdoor facility of 25-200 yards, covered and open firing points. I like the indoor in winter and after dark. I have shot many a bullseye league indoors in the fall and winter there and love it.

My secondary range is my favorite for plinking etc is a buddies privately owned strip mine. High walls and a lake backed by them is great fun for newbies and fun.

I guess I like the benefits of different ranges.

LeonCarr
December 28, 2007, 06:00 PM
Before I moved to the DFW area, I had never shot on an indoor range. It is kinda nice to be able to go shoot regardless of the weather outside. I still have to shoot outdoors if it is farther than 25 yards, but one of these days when I get the funding to build my 1000 yard indoor range, all of that will change :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

spiroxlii
December 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
Mojo-jo-jo, where in GA are you? I'm in Gwinnett county, so I do most of my shooting at the indoor range in Lawrenceville.

It's a nice range, as indoor ranges go. It's just that when you're enclosed in your own little shooting stall with three or four other shooters in the concrete-walled room with you, sound has nowhere to go. Firing my M44s at the indoor range is just not comfortable. Firing them outdoors is fun.

Black_Talon
December 28, 2007, 09:32 PM
One of the few perks of living in Kali is that you can shoot outdoors year-round, something I much prefer over indoor ranges. Although, with this cold snap we've been enduring lately (it's been in the high 50's the last few times I've gone out shooting), I am actually thinking about shooting indoors. :)

BridgeWalker
December 28, 2007, 09:36 PM
Although, with this cold snap we've been enduring lately (it's been in the high 50's the last few times I've gone out shooting), I am actually thinking about shooting indoors.

You're kidding, right?

Mojo-jo-jo
December 28, 2007, 10:34 PM
spiroxlii - I'm in Gwinnett as well. I usually shoot at Bull's Eye in L'ville as well, but haven't been able to get out much recently. There's a very small indoor pistol range (Master Gunman) a few miles from the house, but it's not particularly nice and VERY expensive.

I really wish there was a reasonably close-by public outdoor range. The closest I can come up with is the WMA range near Gainesville (Wilson Shoals WMA) or Advanced Bullets in Temple, GA (out near the Alabama line).

You're right, shooting rifles indoors just isn't much fun.

justinbaby
December 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
Outdoor all the way. Fresh air. Less noise. Better light. Reactive targets. More freedom of movement. Less restrictive ammo rules. More easy conversation with your friends. That's seven advantages right off the top of my head! Easy choice.

justinbaby

dracphelan
December 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
Leon Carr, there is an indoor range with 50 yard rifle lanes in Garland, Targetmaster. I shoot there when the weather doesn't allow me to GPSR.

Zundfolge
December 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
I just think shooting outdoors is the way God intended !
Says the man that lives in Tennessee.

Come out west to the high country in the middle of February and shoot ... you'll be inside PDQ. :neener:

doc2rn
December 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
it's been in the high 50's the last few times I've gone out shooting
Can't feel sorry for someone that thinks 50's is cold. :rolleyes:

K.O.A.M.
December 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
I'm fortunate that Central Florida has multiple outdoor ranges. I can't remember the last time I shot indoors.

Anonymous Coward
December 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
I miss Wyoming.

The whole state was a shooting range.

LeonCarr
December 29, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hey dracphelan,

Thanks for the info, might have to check it out :).

Thanks again,
LeonCarr

If you enjoyed reading about "I just DON'T like shooting indoors!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!