What do you classify your gun interest as?

PDA

Nomad101bc
December 28, 2007, 04:15 AM
What do you tend to focus on with your hobby be it military surplus, modern black rifles, pistols, hunting etc. There is deliberately "no all of the above" so choose what ever is your main interest but feel free to post more detail.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you classify your gun interest as?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frightener 88
December 28, 2007, 04:16 AM
Black rifles with a healthy dose of milsurp.

possom813
December 28, 2007, 04:31 AM
There's not an option for "all"

brentn
December 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
exactly what I was going to say, theres no option for all.

I collect any model that has served, simple as that. Models that have served in the military have earned their spot in my collection.
I could talk about it all day...

Nomad101bc
December 28, 2007, 04:46 AM
I did not choose to put all because then everyone would select it and the poll would be a waste of time. I want to try and really gauge what THR's community is really focused on.

boalex207
December 28, 2007, 04:52 AM
I'm a handgun guy (5). Own 1 shotgun and my granddaddy's old .22 rifle.

Can't believe I'm still up...watching The High and The Mighty

loop
December 28, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'd of said handguns, but I have four or five times as many surplus long guns as I do handguns. OTOH, I really like long range modern, or sniper, rifles.
But, I have four or five times as many handguns...
I just mostly like to shoot...

Ultrachimp
December 28, 2007, 06:10 AM
Military style weapons - the military likes them for a reason, right?

TAB
December 28, 2007, 06:17 AM
What ever intrests me... no safe queens.

brentn
December 28, 2007, 07:31 AM
boalex, me too!

I have to get up for work in an hour... ITs going to be a long long day...

weisse52
December 28, 2007, 08:24 AM
Handguns, just seems to be the way I started going. Like rifles and shotguns as well.

Ala Dan
December 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
Modern Handguns of Post World War II era; only a few long guns, to imclude
one of those "evil black rifles"~! :scrutiny: ;)

Hokkmike
December 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
I have a "balanced" collection.

MakAttak
December 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
Where's the option for I like them all?

I don't have a focus. I just bought a very nice Marlin 45-70 lever action and my next aim is either an AK or an AR (or that nice R-15).

I'm focusing on rifles because I have a number of handguns already and I only have two antique shotguns, so they're next (Hmm... maybe AK shotgun?)

politicalgeek
December 28, 2007, 09:45 AM
hmmm... no option for us college kids who collect to the budget category. I mainly am looking for utility guns at a good price, mainly for home defense, hunting and general fun. So far I have a .22 bolt action, .38 spl revolver, 9mm pistol and a single shot 20 gauge.

Intrepid Dad
December 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
I have a "balanced" collection.

+1. My main emphasis is on handguns but I buy what I like. I just purchased an AR-15 and I'm looking at a Marlin .45-70. I also plan to pick up a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical, so you can see I'm all over the board. :)

Eric F
December 28, 2007, 09:49 AM
I was interested in the black rifle at one point in my life but those have left me and I now deal with my 1911 for idpa and carry use my old model 8 remington for hunting and soon to add a 50-90 sharps for black powder loads so its a fair mix of stuff but as of late black powder has been a hot topic for me lately so that is my answer.

Ed Ames
December 28, 2007, 09:50 AM
You should have made the poll multiple selection. As it is I can't answer and won't vote.

MakAttak
December 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
My main emphasis is on handguns but I buy what I like. I just purchased an AR-15 and I'm looking at a Marlin .45-70. I also plan to pick up a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical, so you can see I'm all over the board.

And I said...

I don't have a focus. I just bought a very nice Marlin 45-70 lever action and my next aim is either an AK or an AR (or that nice R-15).

I don't really have a point, that's just kinda strange.

Cannonball888
December 28, 2007, 09:59 AM
My breakdown:

handguns 35%
military/tactical guns 35%
military surplus 15%
sporting/hunting 15%

kludge
December 28, 2007, 10:36 AM
Black Rifles & other military style weapons;

do 50 y.o. military style count? if not then one.

Military surplus (garands, mausers, lugers; etc.);

a few

Mainly hunting firearms;

a few

Handguns (modern or classic but own few if any rifles);

several

Vintage/Classic firearms collecting (wild west style lever actions, single action revolvers etc.);

a few

Black powder (modern or classic);

none

Sport shooting (lots of competition grade firearms);

a couple that are dual purpose, no specific "competition grade"

Machine guns;

Would if the 1986 ban was gone. I was in high school at the time.

FourNineFoxtrot
December 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
Everything in my small collection has a specific purpose, and that collection is intentionally pretty balanced. A big part of that is that I haven't been into guns long enough to specialize; I'm still learning what I like, what I shoot well, and what I need.

Big45
December 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
My main focus use to be guns, now it's the 2nd Amendment. Takes alot of the enjoyment out of it, but it's necessary I suppose.

the pistolero
December 28, 2007, 11:02 AM
Defensive sidearms so far, particularly 1911s. But I would love to get a nice EBR for tax day. :D

frogomatic
December 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
my vote would be all of the above.

redneckdan
December 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
if it goes, bang, pop, boom or crack...I like it.:)

Mac45
December 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
All of the above except the class III.
Too spendy for me now, maybe someday. :)

The Deer Hunter
December 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hunting primarily kinda, well thats what I fit into most. I'm not limited to those morally or lawfully, though.

IndianaBoy
December 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
All of the above.

Hunting rifles for hunting.

Shotgun for upland birds and trap.

Handguns for CCW and sport shooting. (USPSA)

Milsurp and Black Rifles for SHTF scenario.

M110
December 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
What do you consider your main focus to be?

YES ----- Black Rifles & other military style weapons;
YES ----- Military surplus (garands, mausers, lugers; etc.);
YES ----- Mainly hunting firearms;
YES ----- Handguns (modern or classic but own few if any rifles);
YES ----- Vintage/Classic firearms collecting (wild west style lever actions, single action revolvers etc.);
Yes ----- Black powder (modern or classic);
YES ----- Sport shooting (lots of competition grade firearms);
NO ----- Machine guns;

john1911
December 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
Handguns for me. I'm not that interested in shooting rifles or shotguns except for hunting. Nearly all my "fun" shooting is done with revolvers. I try to shoot my 1911 enough to remain proficient.

gbran
December 28, 2007, 11:40 AM
Didn't see a category in the poll that describes me.

I'm a handgun hunter, but also have rifles and shotties. Like to shoot paper, cans, game, birds and varmints.

I own too many darn fine guns, but none are collectables, they aren't cheap, but all are working guns. I buy and own guns for their specific purpose.

GRB
December 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
I did not answer the poll because it was too narrowly formed for me to include my main interests in firearms. You included "black" rifles, and included handguns but few if any rifles as a choise, yet left out rifles in general.

You did not distinguish between centerfire and rimfire, but somehow included blackpowder.

You included Machine Guns - by which I imagine you mean fully automatic weapons and yet left out choices of other actions such as: single shot, bolt action repeater, semi-automatic, O/U, S/S.

You also tried to lump everyone into restricted categories apparently without considering the generalist.

Those poll choices do not fit me. I am more the generalist. I like to keep as many types of firearms as I can keep legally and afford to keep. My largest number of one type of firearm would probably be rimfires in .22lR, but I have many in centerfire too. These included military arms, collectible firearms, hunting firearms, self defense arms/tactical arms, and so forth, all made up of rifles, shotgun and pistols, and a revolver.

All the best,
Glenn B

Working Man
December 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
No MG, BP, or milsurp...... yet. All in due time.

JesseL
December 28, 2007, 12:30 PM
Lets see, I've got:

2 black rifles, an AR and an AK
A Mosin, a Luger, a US Army issue M.1911 from 1917, and a Ballester Molina.
Sporters in 22lr, 22-250, 6mm, 6.5x55, 30-06, and 308 Norma Magnum, along with shotguns in 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge.
Handguns in 22lr, 380ACP, 9mm, 38 Special, 40 S&W, 41 Magnum and 45ACP
The 41 Magnum is a Ruger Blackhawk, plus I've got a Colt 1862 Pocket Police in 38 rimfire.
A Uberti 1858 Remington.
A few Remington 37s and a Winchester 52 set up for competition

The only thing I'm missing is machineguns. My collection is pretty unfocused :neener:

Stump Water
December 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
Since there's not and "All", and that really doesn't work for me anyway, I'll answer like this...

Black Rifles & other military style weapons: Have an AR, an AK, a “black” shotgun (except it’s green) and see “Handguns”

Military surplus (garands, mausers, lugers; etc.): No.

Mainly hunting firearms: Yes. But not “mainly”. Have big game & varmint rifles. And see “Black Powder”.

Handguns (modern or classic but own few if any rifles): Semi-Autos, DA wheelguns and see “Vintage/Classic”

Vintage/Classic firearms collecting (wild west style lever actions, single action revolvers etc.): Instead of “Vintage” I’ll go with “Wild West” since I’m a Cowboy Action Shooter. So we have “competition grade” SA revolvers, lever action rifles and SxS, pump and lever action shotguns. I shoot both smokeless and BP... depends on the mood.

Black powder (modern or classic): An in-line ML for hunting and see “Vintage/Classic”

Sport shooting (lots of competition grade firearms): See “Vintage/Classic”.

Machine guns: No.

PPGMD
December 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
Whatever floats my boat. Some weeks it's handguns, others it's black rifles, the next it's long range shooting, and the week after that it's a STI so I can compete better. I prefer to have a nice variety of guns rather then just a lot of one category.

Darthbauer
December 28, 2007, 12:39 PM
Whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I kinda like it all from WWII and up.

Kimber1911_06238
December 28, 2007, 12:40 PM
all of the above? mostly hunting guns, but also handguns, milsurp, black rifles, etc

swingpress
December 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
Other: A well-rounded and useful collection.

Rule556
December 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
I like military weapons of all ages and eras. Everything from black powder muskets to Lee-Enfields to modern EBRs. I don't have any NFA stuff yet, but I hope I'll have an SBR and maybe a few suppressors eventually. A machine gun would be lovely, but there's no way I could afford one (legally).

AirplaneDoc
December 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
Can't vote because there is no "all" catagory

FreshTapCoke
December 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
All of the above + more. I don't care if it's a M1 Garand firing .30-06, a BB gun firing .177 pellets, or a Nerf gun firing foam darts. Anything with a trigger that shoots something down a barrel catching my interest.

TimM
December 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
There is not an option for me, I like handguns, especially revolvers. I also like accurate hunting and target rifles as well defensive and double shotguns.

Nomad101bc
December 28, 2007, 03:03 PM
No what i really want to see is if my hypothesis is true. It seems hand gun owners tend to be the most politicaly active for whatever reason. All is a waste of time since we are all gun enthusist on here. I made this in response to someone elses post talking about the different gun groups not helping eachother. Its pretty straight forward if you own only 1 black rifle but several hand guns you are a hand gunner.

GRB
December 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
How would this poll tell you whether or not someone who owns a hand gun is more politically active than someone who owns a rifle? I see no correlation at all between the two as could be established by a poll simply asking which type of guns you prefer to own. On the other hand if you asked folks something like the following:

Into which category do you fit?

1) I prefer to keep handguns and am very active plotically regarding gun rights.

2) I prefer to keep handguns and am not politically active regarding gun rights.

3) I prefer to keep handguns and am somewhat active politically regarding gun rights.

4) I prefer to keep rifles.....and on and on until you covered the types of guns you wanted tocover in your study.

Then maybe you could make some factually suppoted correlation between type of gun opwned and political activity level. Otherwise, while it seems simple and straightforward to you to assume that someone who owns a "black" rifle, and several handguns is a "handgunner" and that somehow equates to them being more politically active; it seems an exercise in futility to me. I mean even if you try to call that person a handgunner, without making some conjecture about his politically activity level, you could well be wrong. Case in point: I own more rifles than handguns, does that make me a rifleman? No it does not. I carry, practice with, train with, and depend upon my handguns more than I do my rifles for work, self defense, home defense. Would I then be a pistoleer or a handgunner. No I am not. I am a firearms enthuisast for sure, but do not fit either of the other categories very well just because of how many of a certain type of gun I have in my collection.

All the best,
Glenn B

Black Majik
December 28, 2007, 03:15 PM
I'm definitely a handgun guy. I like shotgunning and rifle shooting, but handguns are where I have the most fun.

Nomad101bc
December 28, 2007, 03:15 PM
No odds are anyone on this forum is politicaly active therefore if majority are hadn gunners its fairly simple.

22-rimfire
December 28, 2007, 03:27 PM
I prefer handguns since they are easy to store and fun to shoot. All of my rifles are shooters.

Roswell 1847
December 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
My major interest is studying the various ways that inventors have come up with to do the same jobs.
I've traded guns more than most because unless a gun has the feel that I like its just not a keeper regardless of its monetary value.
I study the actions, get used to them, then trade for something I haven't seen yet. Aquiring is more the point than owning for most such guns.

I've found that by trading I have owned dozens of guns with very little overall expense. I don't keep money tied up in the hobby.

Valkman
December 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
I chose hanguns - although I have more than a few rifles I'd rather have the handguns than the rifles.

arflattop
December 28, 2007, 04:08 PM
Along the same vein as some other posts here, I chose handguns, as that's my passion, but I find that I have more rifles and shotguns than handguns in the safe! Maybe it's the chemical imbalance in my brain.............

DFW1911
December 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
I started off years ago w/ "modern" handguns so that's how I answered. Interesting, though, how my tastes have changed over the years.

Take care,
DFW1911

geojap
December 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised at how many answers for "handguns" there were. The only use a handgun has for me is personal defense in a densely populated urban setting. I'm a rifle man all the way.

davera
December 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
Should be multiple choice. I collected milsurps for a while and probably will again but of late it has been vintage .22's

jackmead
December 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
semi auto handguns :)

sailortoo
December 28, 2007, 10:27 PM
Need some different choices - too restricted. I personally have handguns first, but rifles and shotguns also. First and foremost, I'm for the Second Amendment, the rest is whatever fits your needs. The comment on handguns only being for personal defense leaves out a bunch of plinking, target shooting, and for some, game hunting - a more versitile weapon is hard to find, even though not good for all occasions. :p
sailortoo
Semper Paratus (also)

sdj
December 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
These days? Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года :cool:

bearmgc
December 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
The results of this poll really surprised me. Good poll. Mine are mainly hunting firearms with some self defense handguns thrown in.

papabear
December 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
What do you consider your main focus to be?
I - All of the above.

A - Black Rifles & other military style weapons;
B - Military surplus (garands, mausers, lugers; etc.);
C - Mainly hunting firearms;
D - Handguns (modern or classic but own few if any rifles);
E - Vintage/Classic firearms collecting (wild west style lever actions, single action revolvers etc.);
F - Black powder (modern or classic);
G - Sport shooting (lots of competition grade firearms);
H - Machine guns;
I - All of the above.

XD-40 Shooter
December 28, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'm mainly a handgun guy, but I do have an SKS and an M-1 Carbine, that are a lot of fun, so I guess its handgun/military surplus for me.:D

Ready2Defend
December 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
What do you consider your main focus to be? I'm kind of spred around:
Black Rifles & other military style weapons;several
Military surplus (garands, mausers, lugers; etc.);several
Mainly hunting firearms;one
Handguns (modern or classic but own few if any rifles);many
Vintage/Classic firearms collecting (wild west style lever actions, single action revolvers etc.);several
Black powder (modern or classic);none
Sport shooting (lots of competition grade firearms);none
Machine guns;none

iamkris
December 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
Lessee -- kinda hard to pick one but...

Handguns = 25 or 29% of collection
Mil-surp Handguns = 7 or 28% of handguns and 8% of collection
Rifles = 50 or 59% of collection
Mil-surp rifles = 28 or 56% of rifles and 33% of collection
Black rifles = 9 or 18% of rifles and 11% of collection
Shotguns = 11 or 13% of collection
Hunting guns = 14 or 16% of collection
Competition guns = 5 or 6% of collection

I guess that would put me primarily in the mil-surp camp with a healthy try at balancing the overall spread.

simpleguy
December 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
Can't do it, the answer would be "YES, all of the above" if it goes BANG, it has my attention.

possum
December 29, 2007, 01:17 AM
black rifle style long guns, and more handguns that anything,

Hardtarget
December 29, 2007, 01:26 AM
Mostly my firearms are hunting type...however, the mil-surp line is closing in fast! The funny thing is...I like them all...I just can't settle on one direction.

Mark.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you classify your gun interest as?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!