Why would I donate to THR?

PDA

Lewis Wetzel
December 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
I am a newer member but cannot help but see a very heavy-handed (IMHO) methodology of moderation. I dislike that. It inhibits discussion and an exchange of ideas.

NO ONE would tolerate racism, vulgarity and name-calling, that's a given.

But I've read and seen way too many threads locked here, more than I've seen on any gun board.

So be it. It's your site. But TANSTAAFL.....

Your board, your rules, your bills.

I cannot contribute when it seems the moderators are somewhat thin-skinned. Nothing personal, I'm not looking for an argument, far from it. This is more in terms of an explanation. I know in advance that the margins of discussion here are constrained and that I'll need to abide accordingly.

Your board, your rules, your bills. Fair enough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why would I donate to THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
December 27, 2007, 08:16 PM
Lewis:

I don't think that its our moderators that have thin skins....

And I'll do my very best to make up whatever amount you didn't contribute.

It shouldn't come to very much. :rolleyes:

Lewis Wetzel
December 27, 2007, 08:33 PM
Lewis:

I don't think that its our moderators that have thin skins....

And I'll do my very best to make up whatever amount you didn't contribute.

It shouldn't come to very much.

Well, Old Fluff, if being a smarta$$ was a virtue, you'd be a good man.

As it is, you are what you are.

Peace be with you, brother....:)

Nematocyst
December 27, 2007, 08:46 PM
LOL!

Oh, thanks, Fuff: best laugh of my day so far ... ;)

ArfinGreebly
December 27, 2007, 09:17 PM
I cannot contribute when it seems the moderators are somewhat thin-skinned.
I am baffled.

Where is this thin skin of which you speak?

Lewis Wetzel
December 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
I am baffled.

You've got to be kidding. It's practically a joke on other gun boards.

Take a look at the number of threads that are locked.

End of discussion on my end. Do research and get back to me. I have personal experience with a half-dozen or more boards. This board seems to be, BY FAR, the one with the tightest leash on the posters. BIG TIME.

But then, I wouldn't expect many who are long timers here to have such awareness. Call it a lack of perspective on your parts.

That some deny it does not make it less so. As an outsider I can assure you, it not only exists, but is the object of.....'observation and comment'...by others on other boards.

AGAIN, it is your board...I am not trying to inflict my values, just making a point with regards to MY values, and those things that are significant points with regards to providing financial support to an on-line board of any kind.

ArfinGreebly
December 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
You've got to be kidding. It's practically a joke on other gun boards.

Take a look at the number of threads that are locked.

End of discussion on my end. Do research and get back to me. I have personal experience with a half-dozen or more boards. This board seems to be, BY FAR, the one with the tightest leash on the posters. BIG TIME.

But then, I wouldn't expect many who are long timers here to have such awareness. Call it a lack of perspective on your parts.

That some deny it does not make it less so. As an outsider I can assure you, it not only exists, but is the object of.....'observation and comment'...by others on other boards.

AGAIN, it is your board...I am not trying to inflict my values, just making a point with regards to MY values, and those things that are significant points with regards to providing financial support to an on-line board of any kind.
No, I assure you, I am not kidding.

I have recently lived through years of teen-aged children and their friends. They found some of my constraints unreasonable. They felt that some of my rules were a joke. They made deprecating remarks to their friends. They had their own ideas about propriety.

I am no stranger to being told I'm "out of touch."

The number of locked threads is an indicator of the effort required to enforce the THR standards. People like to argue on teh intarwebz and occasionally forget where they are.

The fact that our standards are "a joke on other gun boards" is of little consequence. Other boards have their standards -- or lack of them -- and this does not translate to any obligation for THR to adopt their templates. We don't engage in criticism of other boards here. If other boards feel that the denigration of other segments of the community is somehow appropriate, then so be it.

Research? As in, to go in search of external opinion, so that we may modify our conduct to conform with what seems popular? It may have escaped you, but the very name of this board is born of hard experience -- call it first-hand research -- over years.

This board is not a popularity contest. It is a place established by its owner to facilitate civil discussion of guns and related interests. Not surprisingly, the moderating staff will be found to be people who share that vision.

If it seems there is a "tight leash," it could just be that there's a sprinkling of members who need more reminding than others. Don't forget, there are literally thousands of people who attend here because they prefer the way things are run here. Nobody forces them to stay. Of them, several hundred are members of other boards -- guns, survival, blades, horses, motorcycles, and so on -- and have plenty of "perspective" in their selection of on-line content. The ones who are here, are here by choice.

It is interesting that you hold their choice in such contempt.

Don't worry about our values. The principles on which The High Road was founded are nurtured by both the staff and members.

You may decide, in time, that you like it here. Or maybe not. That's certainly for none of us to say.

But, should you decide you DON'T like it here, and yet insist on staying, then I would question your judgement and/or motives.

If you decide to be disruptive, one of the staff will help you with that decision.

Do as you will.

grampster
December 27, 2007, 10:39 PM
" As an outsider I can assure you, it not only exists, but is the object of.....'observation and comment'...by others on other boards."

Frankly and politely, one can only hope "an outsider" is what you will remain. I'm with Old Fuff, I'll gladly contribute what you might have as it wouldn't be much, monetarily or verbally.

Old Fuff
December 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
Lewis:

Well I don't know that the opinions expressed on other fourms and boards really concern me. From my perspective what our membership thinks is most important, and I notice that the membership here seems to keep growing.

I have also noted a number of recent posts from new members that stated that they came here because there is some moderator control to keep order, and hopefully keep threads from degenerating into open warfare.

Fortunately there is freedom of choice within the Internet community, and you are free to go wherever you might be most confortable. Perhaps with the monetary savings you will have gained by forgoing contrubutions to this forum, you will be able to set up your own. That one you can run according to your own values and rules.

Peace be with you Bro... :)

average_shooter
December 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
Why is this issue being taken up in this thread?:confused:

Shouldn't this be a different thread...? If it is to continue at all...?

I guess I just don't see the point in going to a thread about donating $ to support THR to say you don't like THR...

EDIT: My above comments are less relevant since this thread was split from the previous one...

Lewis Wetzel
December 28, 2007, 12:32 AM
Frankly, the responses from mods and members here has me a bit flummoxed...

Methinks you doth protest much.

This board is quite anal in its constrictions on members comments, ancillary remarks, and off-topic comments.

That is the way it is.

Again, that you do not perceive it at such does not alter the reality that it is so.

Get a grip. I have the feeling that I am among people who never discovered that politicians lie, or that someone may deceive you, or that things may not always be as you were told as children.

Arfin Greeley's post is almost laughable in the most extreme degree he goes to stipulate this and that, when none whatsoever was questioned.

Please....hide your virtue and covet it, but do not pretend that it is something it is not...Jeeeez.

Most assuredly we have a protesting lady here, Arfin...for someone who asserts that he does not give a damn about whatever others think, you certainly go out of your way to posit your unstained and unblemished virtue for the coven within....Good for you...

Heck, all I did was give a post regarding why I wouldn't give you any money...and so many take it as an opportunity to post your diatribes of indignation.

Really, guys....give it a rest. It's only the internet.

Justin
December 28, 2007, 02:46 AM
Lewis, THR is far from the only forum on the internet.

If you think we're a bunch of big ol' thread-locking meanies, go join another forum somewhere else.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21329&d=1107761985

possom813
December 28, 2007, 03:19 AM
there are literally thousands of people who attend here because they prefer the way things are run here.

If you think we're a bunch of big ol' thread-locking meanies, go join another forum somewhere else.

I'm a semi-active member on several different forums, as in I post when I feel the need. So far, this site has proven to be the best run forum that I've visited. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to scroll through several dozen posts of "look at me be a jackass" threads to find a post of consequence.

Anyways, that's my .21 pesos

-John

TexasSkyhawk
December 28, 2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks, Lewis.

You've helped me do three things:

1. Realize that you know about as much about this forum/board as you do the world of firearms and shooters (believe it or not, I've read a few of your "opinions" wink wink) and therefore decided that

2. I need to donate to THR to help fund a place where the difference between the shooters and the keyboard shooters can be differentiated, which in turn will remind me to

3. Put you on the "Ignore" function that I hope is available in the Control Panel.

I bet you had no idea you could be this valuable to a forum eh?

Jeff

tydephan
December 28, 2007, 03:59 AM
Lewis,

Is it common practice for you to post on other forums or call up charities and explain to them why you refuse to donate? Or are you simply trying to stir the pot?

Look --> I can understand if you don't want to donate. Don't donate. In no way are donations required to use, learn, and communicate via this forum. But the "stick it in your face" comments are over the top, disrespectful and quite frankly, very childish.

Get a grip. I have the feeling that I am among people who never discovered that politicians lie, or that someone may deceive you, or that things may not always be as you were told as children.
Wow! Now that is awesome. I'm glad you've figured out you are better than every other member of this forum. Welcome to my ignore list. :D

Nematocyst
December 28, 2007, 04:16 AM
Don't forget, there are literally thousands of people who attend here because they prefer the way things are run here. Nobody forces them to stay. Of them, several hundred are members of other boards -- guns, survival, blades, horses, motorcycles, and so on -- and have plenty of "perspective" in their selection of on-line content. The ones who are here, are here by choice.That describes me.

I am a member of three other gun forums, one survival forum and a blade forum.

Yet, I spend FAR, FAR more time here than elsewhere. (6000+ over 2.5 years compared to a few dozen elsewhere.)

Why? Because of the quality of knowledge here, the respect that members show each other which has been enhanced by the quality of moderation. I've learned tons of useful information here, and made many new friends.

I value the moderators' services; they help make this one of the best forums I've ever been part of.

For those that don't like it, your solution is simple: go elsewhere.

Nem A. Tocyst

Robert Hairless
December 28, 2007, 06:54 AM
ArfinGreebly:

Lewis Wenzel:

Methinks you doth protest much.

Lewis Carroll:

"For, although common Snarks do no manner of harm,
Yet I feel it my duty to say
Some are Boojums-" The Bellman broke off in alarm,
For the Baker had fainted away.

Conclusion of "Fit the Second" in Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark, a manual for moderators.

Old Fuff
December 28, 2007, 08:15 AM
Average Shooter:

Why is this issue being taken up in this thread? Shouldn't this be a different thread...? If it is to continue at all...?

I guess I just don't see the point in going to a thread about donating $ to support THR to say you don't like THR...

You have a good point. But the thread is here, and to ignore Lewis Wetzelís posts might imply that a lack of response suggested approval. Wetzel claims to speak only for himself, and that the opinions heís expressed are his own. Other members, including myself, want to make it crystal clear that that this is indeed the case, and that on the part of the membership as a whole, there is no desire that the forum owner or staff change the policies and rules that this one, very short term member objects too.

jdkelly
December 28, 2007, 08:31 AM
That some deny it does not make it less so. As an outsider I can assure you, it not only exists, but is the object of.....'observation and comment'...by others on other boards.---Lewis Wetzel
Absolutely, Iíve seen people disparage THR on other boards, but Iíve never seen it done by someone whose opinion I value.

Some donít seem to do well here, I guess the problem could be the thousands of people who post here or perhaps the problem lies with the few. But I wouldnít expect a short time poster to have that perspective.

Have a nice trip!

jdkelly

TexasRifleman
December 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, this board is so bad, so heavy handed in moderation, and so lacking in interesting posts that over the last 2 years or so it has become the only forum I read or post on with any regularity.

Old Lewis there has decided in less than a month that he has "seen all THR has to offer". That's probably true but I think it has more to do with Lewis' ability to absorb knowledge than THRs ability to impart it.

Lewis Wetzel
December 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yes, this board is so bad, so heavy handed in moderation, and so lacking in interesting posts that over the last 2 years or so it has become the only forum I read or post on with any regularity.

Old Lewis there has decided in less than a month that he has "seen all THR has to offer". That's probably true but I think it has more to do with Lewis' ability to absorb knowledge than THRs ability to impart it.

Actually I've been reading posts here, off and on, for quite some time..much more than a month. This invalidates your claim that I am unfamiliar with the actions of the moderators and some of the members here.

Secondly, the action to delete this section of you 'good feel' contribution thread that is at the top of probably the most heavily traveled section of the board and send it down here demonstrates an interesting tactic. It is not surprising.

Posted by moderator Justin:

I generally would not expect such a puerile comment from a moderator. Why do you people take such umbrage for such little things? You people grossly exaggerate an imagined insult, then raise the childish challenge to just takes one's ball and go home.

I probably won't spend a great deal of time here, as one can consume a great deal of time in self-entertainment on internet boards. As my interests are more in the area of long-range precision shooting and various black rifles, there are other boards where such areas of interest are more capably discussed. This board's membership and discussions are more entry-level or hobbyist level, though I'm sure there are exceptions. But that is beside the point.

The 'thin skinned' factor is self-evident from the nature of the above posts. As for the rest of the issue, my previous statement said it all (one would have thought):

Please restrain your collective urges to comment further....this IS a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Kimber1911_06238
December 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
lewis,

just wondering if you could give an example of a thread that got locked that you felt was important. There is a great deal of joking around on here, but it usually stays within the boundaries of good taste. So what topics got shut down that should have been kept open?

Robert Hairless
December 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
Lewis Wenzel:

Please restrain your collective urges to comment further....this IS a dead horse.

Before the boy dashes off to do your bidding can he get you a toasted English muffin, make you a nice cup of tea, rub your feet, resuscitate your horse, or perform any other little service?

That horse you on which you rode in ... it is a high horse, isn't it? I thought I recognized the breed. Pity it died. They tend not to be a sturdy breed and their droppings are exceedingly aromatic.

Biker
December 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
What is that old saying about...hmmm, "*....you and the horse you rode in on*"?

It escapes me. Anyone here remember?

Biker

koja48
December 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
For the most part, I can truthfully say this is one of the better boards. Equally as truthfully, however, I will say that the moderators do an exceptional job for the most part, however, some on occasion, do tend to assume the role of "goderator." I still peruse the board occasionally, but rarely post anymore (this is the first in quite a spell). I personally reached my point of saturation when it was mandated that because someone posted it, it was so, and we would "believe." Sorry, but I form my own opinions based on the information provided and will question "far-fetched" claims when such is appropriate. When the individual I questioned suggested I stand out at 600+~yards and become his target, then said individual was not severely chastised for such a childish & irresponsible retort, I figured it was time for the old bald shootist to quit posting.

jamz
December 28, 2007, 12:33 PM
From what I remember, this board has a mandate by the owner that it's purpose is to advance the cause of the RKBA. Posts reflect that, and anything that does not further it's purpose is noise, and not welcome. That's fine by me. I'm a member and a mod on some other gunny boards, and they are all different.

I don't come here for laughs or chuckles, this isn't the place. I got other boards for that. I do come here for hardcore information from a bunch of people who'se opinions I trust.

So THR is a forum for a SPECIFIC cause, and as such, requires some active moderation, people being who they are.

Robert Hairless
December 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
Biker, any saying from me is an old saying. If you want new sayings find a much younger man.

Biker
December 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh, I knew what the saying was - I was just looking for a straight man to finish it off for Lewis!

Biker:neener:

FPrice
December 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think that Lewis' signature line says an awful lot about his beliefs and may explain why he has started this arguement.

JohnBT
December 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
I wonder if he's related to the Injun-killer Louis Wetzel, the dark hero of Ohio?

It would be a shame if he left. I mean after all we need all the experts of very high intelligence we can find - being an entry-level sort of place and all. <snort & chortle>

John

JCT
December 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wow, I'm not impressed, everyone here is quick to prove Lewis's point. How about constructive discussion and open minded approach to the high road moderation and policies.
I visit the site daily, find great info and help, I help where and when I can, but I can't disagree with Lewis on the type of moderation that at times seems to be done my a moderator who disagrees with the subject.
Lewis only brought up a valid point, in a professional manor, but he's basically being told to go away. That's not high road at all.

Biker
December 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
Sometimes you have to get dirty when you wrestle with pigs.

Biker

eliphalet
December 28, 2007, 10:29 PM
Sometimes you have to get dirty when you wrestle with pigs.He did kinda get tossed in the mud huh?

I don't think that its our moderators that have thin skins.... For the most part I think that is a correct statement but some do tend to be particularly sensitive about some subjects.

Also I see posts edited or completely deleted with no explanation.
Seems to me if your gonna kick a guys post out he should at least get sentence or two as to why.
But then it isn't my forum now is it?

Robert Hairless
December 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
JCT, I don't think that anyone here is proving Lewis Wenzel's "point." He has lots of points directed at everyone in this forum with the single exception of Lewis Wenzel, but his explicit point is directed at moderators. I'm not one of them and neither are you or most others who contributed to this thread.

Accusing the moderators of closing threads is in the same league as accusing a novelist for ending a novel. That's what they do and what they're supposed to do. I can complain that the novel didn't end where or how I wanted, but that's as pointless as accusing moderators for ending threads before Lewis Wenzel or anyone else likes.

Forget everyone else. That's Lewis Wenzel's real gripe, and it's consistent in other messages I've seen from him: things happen without Lewis Wenzel's approval and that's unacceptable to Lewis Wenzel.

And, to strengthen his argument, Lewis Wenzel claims that other people on the Internet share his unhappiness. But that I cannot believe. I have never seen anyone on the Internet unhappy about anything at all.

The Internet is a placid realm inhabited exclusively by a well adjusted, happy people, and the sanest and most contented of them all are the well balanced folk who frequent Internet gun forums. Listen carefully and you can hear them sing charming folk songs as they go smilingly about their loving labor of creating complimentary posts. There is never a sad face in Happyland.

Alas, in his self absorption Lewis Wenzel ignores the real and most serious problem with the world. Nobody does what I want. That's a problem in dire need of immediate correction and I wish somebody would correct that glaring defect in the world right now.

Barack Obama, where are you in my time of need?

Cuda
December 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
Lewis, what is it that the mods stop us from doing??

Being vulgar
personal attacks
lying
unfounded comments???

It sounds like you want the THR to be a free for all. As a member of other forums where crap flies all the time, it's nice to come here to get real gun information from some very smart people.. You may not agree with whats said but if you have facts to back up your thoughts put it out there and have a rational discussion. If you want *^#(&^(@&, I would suggest the THR may not be the place for you..

JMO

C

XavierBreath
December 29, 2007, 12:58 AM
Secondly, the action to delete this section of you 'good feel' contribution thread that is at the top of probably the most heavily traveled section of the board and send it down here demonstrates an interesting tactic. It is not surprising.Then you won't be surprised that I place it in a more frequently traveled forum, as that seems to be your desire.

I probably won't spend a great deal of time here, as one can consume a great deal of time in self-entertainment on internet boards. As my interests are more in the area of long-range precision shooting and various black rifles, there are other boards where such areas of interest are more capably discussed. This board's membership and discussions are more entry-level or hobbyist level, though I'm sure there are exceptions. But that is beside the point.Different needs for different people Lewis.

Many proficient shooters seek to pass on their knowledge to neophytes. Others see themselves as so vastly superior that neophytes do not deserve to be in their presence. The High Road is a forum for neophytes. We promote responsible gun ownership, and we do not discriminate between members regardless of their level of experience. We protect and foster those who chose to become aquainted with firearms and the second amendment for whatever reason. Some well known and very experienced shooters join us at The High Road in that endeavor. You do not have to do so. Nobody is asking you to. We do ask that you not be condescending towards others here. If you can't seem to manage that, I'm sure you can find a forum that suits you better. If you can't, then start up your own. That's the beauty of the internet.

Your board, your rules, your bills.Yep. But if you think The High Road has value, you are welcome to contribute. There is no requirement to do so. The High Road will continue to prosper without your donation, and you can continue to enjoy it as long as you abide by our rules.

Threads are closed for a multitude of reasons. They can be split for a multitude of reasons as well. One reason to split a thread is to keep from having to close an otherwise beneficial thread once it has been thrown off course. That is what occured in this case.

Please restrain your collective urges to comment further....this IS a dead horse.Nope. You decided to come into a thread giving members an opportunity to donate and begin griping about the moderation of the forum and stating why you refuse to donate. You go on to tell us how The High Road is the laughing stock of the internet gun scene, and proceed to call moderators childish.

No sir. I think I will comment. I think I will also move your new thread to an area where it will get greater traffic, since that is what you apparently desire.

The Unknown User
December 29, 2007, 01:20 AM
Well, the only problem I have with this board is that there's (1) no general forum (what forum doesn't have one other than THR?) and that (2) every kind of intolerance is not allowed here unless it's an anti-liberal comment.

loud-mouth shnook
December 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
Mr. Wetzel:
Respectfully, sir, the thread began fairly harmlessly with you stepping up and voicing your opinion. Cool.

However, as it progressed, your syntax became more and more rude, antagonistic, and condescending. The payoff is what, please?

The capper for me personally was when, after being called to the carpet, you attempted to assume the role of the victim.

It would take a wiser man than myself to understand this.

Just my 2/100ths of a buck.

Spot77
December 29, 2007, 01:55 AM
I've seen threads get locked for what I would consider little reason. It happens, and to say it doesn't is to turn a blind eye. I have my own opinion as to who seems to do this more often than others, but I realize that it's not my call to make...all I can do is look elsewhere to continue what may have been an interesting and helpful topic. And I'm well aware that threads veer off topic sometimes. With such a large membership, many of whom can't follow up on threads everyday, would it not be better for a Mod to steer the thread back on topic so those wanting to contribute could do so?

I've been around here for a few years now; I've contributed to threads, I've donated money a few times and I used to organize local THR shoots (unofficially of course - I never claimed to be anything other than a THR user wanting to hang out with other THR users)

Lewis is correct that a lot of people have a similar opinion to his. I've heard it before and I usually dismiss it since this isn't my forum and I generally respect the wishes of its owner.

But to the people who are so quick to be offended by Lewis' comments I'd ask you to take into consideration what he is saying, not particularly how he has said it. He thinks there's a problem. Should we dismiss him immediately because
A: he's new
B: he's stringing together his complaint with a threat to not donate :scrutiny:
C: The way he's presented his point is offensive to some

Now I realize what THR's mission is, and I realize that THR is not a business mandated to make a profit. But like any good business, complaints should be investigated and dealt with if need be.

The board's mission succeeds when the membership grows and when the members feel comraderie. I used to use this forum to rally up the troops to fight all of Maryland's bad legislation and to hold events. But in the past year, the number of consistent MD users has plummeted. Now of course I'm not saying that "overmoderation" is to blame, but something is keeping these people away. Heck even my friend Chris (P95Carry) rarely visits anymore.

So before we all get our panties in a wad, let's not attack the messenger;let's try to see if there's any validity to his message.

Just my 2 cents. Thank you all for keeping the forum standards up and for the great service the forum provides.

Nematocyst
December 29, 2007, 02:10 AM
Then you won't be surprised that
I place it in a more frequently traveled forum,
as that seems to be your desire. I'm liking this ...

Best mud wrestling tournament
I've seen on THR in some time.

Please, carry on.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smiley-bounce-fire-red.gif

Lewis Wetzel
December 29, 2007, 02:11 AM
Now, isn't this interesting.

The Mods bisect this portion of a thread that was part of a thread about contributions to THR, Page FOUR of that thread, if I remember correctly.

Then, evidently, Mods get THEIR panties in a wad and cut the thread segment from the main thread and send it down to 'Technical Whatever'...

THEN, for some unknown reason, decide to resurrect the thread segment AS IF I STARTED A SEPARATE THREAD HERE IN this forum.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOWNS. And to think the point I was trying to make was that Mods here were arbitrary and capricious.

Well, Laaa teee frickin' daaaaaa.....

Who'd a thunk it....What a collection of self-serving a$$sholes. Trying to distort something to make themselves look different or better. Distorting the truth of the matter in order to make look like I was starting a thread to be a S**t
T stirrer.....You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Pathetic.

ArfinGreebly
December 29, 2007, 02:16 AM
Rob87
Well, the only problem I have with this board is that there's (1) no general forum (what forum doesn't have one other than THR?) and that (2) every kind of intolerance is not allowed here unless it's an anti-liberal comment.
Well, Rob, you've been with us since late April. During that time, you've seen the Legal & Political forum go through a transformation and become simply the Legal forum. If you were reading the forum during that period, you probably have a pretty good sense of why that happened.

Some time before that -- and before I, myself, became a member here -- we had something called "The Round Table," which was a general discussion forum. The site owner (Oleg) decided that, in the interests of maintaining the primary purpose of The High Road, the Round Table forum would be closed here, and moved to another "sister" site, Armed Polite Society (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/) (or APS -- you'll find the link in the upper right-hand corner of the page). Oleg owns both sites. The mod staffs are different and have their own personalities. If you haven't already been over to APS, you should go check it out. You'll see many of the same "faces" over there.

When the Political side of L&P was closed, it was moved over to APS (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/) so that such discussions could continue without disrupting the primary discussion traffic of firearms-related topics -- guns, gun rights, gun control, gun laws, and so on.

Rob, I can understand how it might puzzle you that we are intolerant of intolerance here -- and yet seem to tolerate intolerance of the philosophy most committed to destroying gun rights.

It's hard to be perfect. Not every political remark is going to get caught in the mod nets, not every jab at public figures who are on record as actively infringing on the RKBA. Where possible, we try to keep the discussion to principles.

You might be surprised to hear that we get complaints from people on both philosophical sides that we're allowing slander of their beliefs/policies/candidates/etc. -- and in fact we've had people get indignant on both sides, complaining about the same exact post!

Oh, well. Sometimes you just can't win.

We strive to uphold the standards.

In the end, take what you can use, and leave the rest.

XavierBreath
December 29, 2007, 02:17 AM
WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOWNS. And to think the point I was trying to make was that Mods here were arbitrary and capricious.

Who'd a thunk it....What a collection of self-serving a$$sholes. Trying to distort something to make themselves look different or better. Distorting the truth of the matter in order to make look like I was starting a thread to be a S**t

And that should do it.

We don't allow namecalling at The High Road.

FWIW, sir, you were attempting to hijack the original thread regarding donations. If you do not wish to donate, there is absolutely no reason to post why you do not wish to donate. Simply do not donate. Instead, you decided to attempt to take the thread off on a tangent regarding why you do not wish to donate. That merited a thread of it's own. Thus your portion was turned into a thread of it's own instead of being simply deleted. It was moved to the appropriate forum, and you complained about that. So, it was moved back here.

We ask that our members abide by our few rules (http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html). We all agreed to them when we registered. I will post them here.
There are only a few house rules:

1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms or civil liberties issues.
2.) Multiple user registrations are prohibited.
3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here.
4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
5.) We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say".Posts that are contrary to the above policies, or to the mission of The High Road, may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. Membership may be revoked if such a step is deemed necessary by us. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff. Please treat this venue as a polite discussion in a friend's home and respect the wishes of the hosts.
If you are unable to abide by our rules, you may find another forum, or you may start your own

Tim Burke
December 29, 2007, 07:59 AM
Since the internet is essentially free and unregulated, an unmoderated forum will quickly sink to the lowest common denominator.
The higher the standards, the more regulation that will be required, either on the front end (limiting membership) or the back end (moderation).
Contrary to the OP's assertion, this does not inhibit discussion or the free exchange of ideas. It does inhibit incivility.
As for contributing to THR, I suspect the vast majority of the registered members have not contributed, and that is fine. I don't recall any of them feeling compelled to explain themselves.
As for me, I will not waste my time in forums that don't maintain high standards.

Eagle103
December 29, 2007, 08:15 AM
4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
That's the best thing about this forum. Is at an infringement of free speech to intervene when a technical subject digresses into childish namecalling or diverges so far from the original subject that the thread title becomes meaningless? I think not. Most of us here prefer to have left that kind of behavior back in our pre-secondary days.
I've freqented various forums over the last few years and my observation is that the best way to lose old members and turn off new ones is undermoderation. Mistakes will be made. Sometimes the mods may appear to favor some members over others and seem heavy handed at other times but their job is not an easy one. Sort of like being a parent I guess.
The internet is big enough that you should have no problem finding a forum suited to your tastes. Oleg pays the bills here and Oleg can run the place as he sees fit.

220_Swift
December 29, 2007, 08:19 AM
Here is my two cents for what it is worth.

1. I don't need a "general discussion" section on THR. I can get that at any one of thousands of boards out there. That is not why I come here.

2. I read the rules when I signed up. I knew coming into this what was expected of me, as a member. I agreed to those rules when I went ahead and confirmed my membership.

3. I am a guest at the owners "house", and I treat this as such. I wouldn't just walk into someones home and do what I darn well pleased. And I won't do it here. And I certainly don't go crying when I am not allowed to do what I want.

4. I have never once seen a thread locked for no reason. If it is against the rules, it is closed. Pretty simple. Play by the rules or go play somewhere else.

JMHO

NGIB
December 29, 2007, 08:19 AM
I'm new here as well and I kind of appreciate the way the threads are kept civil and meaningful. I have been a moderator of different forums and I can tell you it's not the most fun job. Everyone takes exception to something and you can't please everyone all the time. I come here to learn, meet other shootists in a virtual way, and try to add useful content when I can.

Basically, if you don't like the way this site is run - don't visit...

Hokkmike
December 29, 2007, 08:31 AM
One of the other two forums I belong to is much tougher than this. People who pull this kind of crap disappear in the night! That (A bass players' site) and THR are the best to be at. There is no garbage on the street, rusty junk cars parked in the front yards are towed, and people who pee on the sidewalk are escorted back home. I think it is time.

I think the moderators here do just fine. Thank you guys.

JohnBT
December 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
"How about constructive discussion and open minded approach to the high road moderation and policies."

I suppose it might be useful to new members and forgetful old members, but it has been done more than once. Here are just a few of the results I obtained by searching with "moderators, thread, closing."

http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=3366014

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=291665&highlight=moderators+thread+closing

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=255478&highlight=moderators+thread+closing

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=242942&highlight=moderators+thread+closing

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=215893&highlight=moderators+thread+closing

Thin Black Line
December 29, 2007, 08:43 AM
I like THR and the mods are as varied as the members. I have no idea how
THR is run or how mods are chosen/christened/knighted or whatever. However,
if THR was run like our current US political system, how much would I have
to donate to THR to become a mod. Also, how much more would I have to
donate to become a Captain among the mods with the power to censure other
mods and delete their posts?

Yes, this is my usual satire all of you have come to know and love or hate, but
it's the same I've used to put anti-2As in their places all these years. A tool
is still a tool. :)

qajaq59
December 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
Lewis, there are about a zillion boards out there. Just find one you like and use it. For me, this one's just fine the way it is.

And before you get too critical about moderators I suggest you become one and see if you can keep your hands off the keyboard when you read some of the stuff that comes in? And no I'm not one. Nor would I want to be, for just that reason.

YZR
December 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
One of our greatest freedoms (next to the second amendment) is free speech and Lewis certainly has the inalienable right to speak his mind regardless of how wrong he is :D
THR is easily my favorite gun forum and he, singlehandedly, has inspired me to make a contribution.
Thank you Lewis!

PS:
If the mods were as heavy handed as you claim they would have already locked this thread.

Robert Hairless
December 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
Spot77:

I've seen threads get locked for what I would consider little reason.
Now I realize what THR's mission is, and I realize that THR is not a business mandated to make a profit. But like any good business, complaints should be investigated and dealt with if need be.
Heck even my friend Chris (P95Carry) rarely visits anymore.

So before we all get our panties in a wad, let's not attack the messenger;let's try to see if there's any validity to his message.

Spot77, if your panties are getting in a wad perhaps you should buy a better brand. Good panties should not do that. My panties never get in a wad. I spend a little more and get the good kind.

The rest of what you say stands on its own. :)

Walkalong
December 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hello Lewis
I "lurked" on a few forums before joining THR. I joined because I did not read the "crap" I did on other forums. This forum sounded like adults discussing issues and sharing views/knolwedge. Many other forums had so much infantile crap going on it did not interest me. Pick where you want to be posting. I see the lockdowns and have had a post deleted before. I don't disagree with it. Kudo's to the hard work of the Mods for keeping us civil when we wander. :)

Don't worry Old Fluff. I'll soon be sending what Lewis will not. ;)

gbran
December 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm a newbie here, but I also belong to several other gunboards. THR, however, feels like home to me and consequently is where I spend most of my time. You are right, many other gunboards do things differently and I don't always agree with the way one or the other may be run, but...... if it bothers me too much, well, I just don't go there anymore. A gunboard also has to interest me and THR does.

wheelgunslinger
December 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'll have to agree somewhat with Lewis.
However, no one wants a trollfest either.
I didn't like users like Gunkid tossing baby ruths into the pool water. I also still wonder if the mods used their offline skills and vocations to get the guy busted.
They surely seemed to know an awful lot about his arrest.

But, the standards set by Oleg and enforced by the mods are pretty good at keeping the noise down and quality up.
To me, when THR stops being a place where I can come to read quality firearms info, I'll stop coming by.
Until then, I've learned to sense when the mods will be whacking threads, and what threads will get whacked. As have others, judging from all the "ibtl" posts on threads they recognize will bother the more sensitive/reactionary mods.

But, no forum will be perfect. And, I do appreciate what I find good about the High Road and I avoid the touchy subjects where my opinions that don't tow the party line are not appreciated.
Certainly, I appreciate wide variety of intelligence found here due to the work involved in making it a civil place to be.

guil2000
December 29, 2007, 10:02 AM
To all Moderators - Well Done !!!

I came here to be able to hold polite conversations and discuss firearm related issues, regardless of whether we agree or not. Very few forums allow for this any longer as without adequate moderation they soon fall prey to the internet commandos.

As an admin on the old Packing.org site, I can speak with experience as to the results. Packing was also accused of being too high-handed in attempting to keep everything on topic and eliminate the name-calling. Every time we backed off a bit, the bickering began anew. Finally, after I resigned, the site went to the new format to allow self-policing. The result was a spiral downward and its eventual demise. Very sad end for what was once the premier site for Concealed Carry.

doc2rn
December 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
Learn from Old Fuff he knows what he is talking about young padawan.
Can't stop laughing........"don't taze me bro"

Spot77
December 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
Spot77, if your panties are getting in a wad perhaps you should buy a better brand. Good panties should not do that. My panties never get in a wad. I spend a little more and get the good kind.

The older I get, the less they seem to wad up.

Perhaps it's my expanding backside. :cool:

I'd prefer to think it's my expanding mind.

revolverman357
December 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
I really think the original poster just wants to argue with anything anyone says.

Kentucky
December 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
As my interests are more in the area of long-range precision shooting and various black rifles, there are other boards where such areas of interest are more capably discussed.

How many other boards have someone as qualified as Zak Smith posting about precision shooting? The wealth of knowledge here is THE main benefit of THR. I am amazed at the knowledge that is contained in the THR membership. Have a weird question about an obscure firearm? Post it and there will be knowledgeable people answering it, probably within a few minutes. You can research ANY firearm related item on THR before buying it, and have a pretty good idea about what you are getting in to.

You want the opinion of a competent LEO, wait for Law Dog to weigh in. You want exciting industry info from the inside, ask Correia. You want precision shooting info, Zak Smith is about as good as it gets, You want black rifle info, there are literally dozens of experts (no quotes) who can help you out.

Do a lot of threads get closed? Yes. The biggest majority of them are doomed to be closed because the OP was laughably outside the bounds of what is acceptable here. THR seems to place a high priority on the SOM/SOM principle. (Stay On Message/Stay On Mission). The only forum that stays more on message than THR might be the Appleseed forum.

As far as the mods being thin skinned, I dont see it for the most part. There is ONE mod on THR who has seemed out-of-control to me in the past. I dont really go into the sub-forum he administrates anymore so I cant tell you how it is going now. I do know that sub-forum is not nearly as busy as it used to be. But there are a lot of mods on THR, and the majority are far and away more agreeable and even-handed than most other forums I have read.

Lewis, your posts have revealed a great immaturity and obviously you cant stand not to have things your way. For a forum that would be much more help than THR, try visiting here (http://www.mahjoob.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=163029)

Superpsy
December 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
looks like I came late to the party. I, for one, happen to like it here. It's not a complete mess like other forums.

kir_kenix
December 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
i like it here at THE HIGH ROAD. hey, its not perfect, but nothing ever is. i have learned SOOO much in my last year here. i look back at my old posts and i cant believe how much more knowledgable i am now (partly from thr, and from hands on experience). i have also be chastised a time or 2, mainly concerning course language...and i couldnt agree more. it makes it a better place here with out that sort of thing.

i wouldnt mind an open forum, but i understand why we dont have one. i can always find another forum for that sort of thing. i plan on sticking around for a long, long time. thanks moderators for making thr the great place that it is to post.

scout26
December 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
Ohh goody !!!! We were past due for a "Mods are the Spawn of Satan" thread.

"Keep going boys, I think I still see some life in 'im."

And for anyone interested in more open forum where you can discuss just about anything including politics try http://www.armedpolitesociety.com

Make sure you check out the "Ukranian Army on Parade" Thread.....:evil:;)

cracked butt
December 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
If you ignore the polical forum (I avoid it because its not worth getting angry over), the rest of the site is top notch- this is a cafeteria where you canpick and choose which forums that you want to post on.

If you are just here to troll, well then good riddance then.

eagle45
December 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
I guess I'm a little late to the party too, the web seems to be at a crawl in my neck of the woods today.

To say "Your board, your rules, your bills. Fair enough" in a post that starts a thread, then go on to present the idea that you cannot seem to accept those rules doesn't really make any sense to me. If you really mean that, then take the good with the bad and post away. If you cannot accept it, why do you feel the need to inform everyone of it? The mature thing to do is simply spend your time elsewhere, or start your own forum with your own rules. Donating money isn't required, and how much or how little anyone donates is their own business.

As far as the comparison to other gun boards, I have a suspicion that most of the members here may have spent a little time on other boards as well. What they are really like will not come as a surprise to many folks here.

Happy New Year!

Mot45acp
December 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am one of the ones who has had it out with moderators multiple times. Whether its my sig line, or a off color post(s). Search my early posts and you will see. I dont think there is a Mod who thought I would still be around.

I won my battle with the moderators. How? you ask. I complied with their wishes. How is that winning?

1. I have matured greatly.
2. I have access to the only forum I frequent.
3. I have access to reliable information, not something posted by a 12 year old for laughs.
4. I have done numerous transaction through the classified section and have met some great people.

Over moderation? I see that Justin has posted and it is still alive, you have lasted longer than some.

Ahhh but you have resorted to name calling. You have lost the battle yourself, without any one of us having to do it.

I will tell you the same thing I was told: Shape up or ship out.

ps can anyone provide a source from another forum mentioning THR moderation practices?

Soybomb
December 29, 2007, 04:04 PM

Couldn't say it better myself. Not every forum is going to be for everyone. If you don't like the style of moderation here, I'm sure you can find one somewhere you do. Personally the excellent moderation here keeps this as the only gun forum I like to be on.

hankdatank1362
December 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
WAIT!
WAIT!
WAIT!

You mean there are other gun boards than THR?

Really?

Are you sure?

Hmmm.

There's a reason people like Masaad Ayoob and Tom Gresham post here.

All we ask is civil discourse about guns. Is that so hard?

Two parts.... CIVIL and GUN-RELATED... Bam! Coulda had a V8!

We have industry insiders, F-class precision shooters, tactical 3 gunners, IDPAers, CASers, old, young, knowledgable, those with a thirst for learning, male, female, rich, poor, doctors, engineers, lawyers, LEOs, soldiers, bartenders ( ;) )... every demographic possible. Talking about guns. Civilly.

I've been to the other boards. Not exactly what I would call "cream of the crop." Some are good (GCLOCKtalk, snipershide, afrcom) but THR is the best of all rolled into one.

And, since no one has said it before.... you sir, are a troll. You may not consider yourself a troll, but you are engaging in known trolling activities.

RLsnow
December 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
i like it here

everyones so snugly and hugable :D

brentn
December 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
I agree that threads are locked quite a bit around here, but they all are because of breaking of the rules. There is the grey area in which you think that it shouldn't be locked, but if discussion would continue it would go into the red area for sure.
Respect the rules your thread won't get locked
Make the topic gun related, your thread won't get locked
Got a problem with another member? Don't call names, call a mod

I like this place, I like it quite a bit more than CGN. The rules are sorta strict, but it results in threads that are flowing with info. Out of any forum I have ever visited on the net, this one has the most intellegint people i have ever seen, gunsmiths, politicians, activists, its awesome. There are also the retards, but few and far between.

thanks THR for a wealth of info here.

Where do I donate my money?

alligator94
December 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
I for one really appreciate all that the members (and mods) do here to keep the forums civil. Too many boards degenerate into flame wars. If threads are locked it is probably necessary to keep this "THE HIGH ROAD".

Tully M. Pick
December 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
I, for one, can't stand most of you. I'm just here for the guns. :D

SAWBONES
December 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
This guy just joined last month and has but a few posts here to his credit, and yet now he's whining...

Ignore him. At best, he's haughty and rude, and appears to be seeking attention. The premise of this thread is itself inappropriate.

This place began operation after TFL closed down several years ago, and grew into a respectable independent BB even though TFL subsequently reopened.
Those who like being here may wish to donate in order to helf defray expenses of running the site. Those who don't wish to donate needn't do so. Why fuss?

As to supposed "heavy-handed moderation" here, there are many with far more Draconian moderation, witness the 1911 forums, where getting off-topic a bit for a few posts gets threads closed ofttimes.

I've been here and on TFL before that for many years, and have never had a thread I participated in get closed. Maybe this one should be, though.

revolverman357
December 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
This forum has probably saved me hundreds of dollars in gunsmithing fees by having knowledgable gun people help me out and talk me through gun related problems that I would never had been able to do by myself without thier help.
Thanks! THR members. You are appreciated.

arflattop
December 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
Sorry to add my unnecessary 2 cents (as it's all been pretty much said), but as a Newb, I appreciate the high level of moderation at THR -- I've read several other boards, and hate to have to pick through the trash to get to the valuable posts. This seems to be quite the opposite. Moderation has it's downside, but just like laws in a civil society, it's necessary to keep a quality board.

akodo
December 29, 2007, 05:56 PM

ha ha ha this made me laugh.

if it is so terrible here, what make you keep on coming back?

This board is quite anal in its constrictions on members comments, ancillary remarks, and off-topic comments.

That is the way it is.

Again, that you do not perceive it at such does not alter the reality that it is so.

this also makes me laugh. Such things as 'anal' are like hot and cold, it isn't a measurement, it is a comparison based on experience.

Is this board more restrictive than some? Yes. But is it that they are good and we are anal? Or that we are good and they are out of control?

Yes, lots of threads get locked. Here's why.

1. Tight mission statement (pro right to keep and bear arms information, and actual firearms talk) which is enforced
2. Experience from years here, the mods know when a thread has run it's course and is starting to derail, or simply been done enough to have no further gain, etc.

Nematocyst
December 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
Here's my nomination for the single sentence that best captures the spirit of this discussion:

Moderation has it's downside, but just like laws in a civil society, it's necessary to keep a quality board.Well said.

strat81
December 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
In addition to THR, I am also a member of Glock Talk and Arfcom. Both of those are fine forums with a wealth of information, but it's like walking into a frat house for information.

Sure, some of the fraternity brothers may be sober, some may even be 4.0 students with a lot to contribute with the ability to carry on an adult conversation. Others may be incredibly drunk while others may think they're still the 8th grade and fart=funny.

I enjoy the occasional juvenile remark, but it gets real old, real quick, when the better part of every thread has them. SIIHPAPP was funny the first time. Not so much the 30th time. (mods, delete that line if it is too off-color.)

Oleg has chosen to not run a frat house. THR has one of the highest signal-to-noise ratios of any firearm site on the net. I've learned a lot here, since the membership includes newbies, oldies, hunters, cops, soliders, marines, gunsmiths, teenagers, college students, mall ninjas, engineers, black rifle guys, collectors, wheelgunners, shotgunners, and pretty much everything else.

Slugless
December 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks to Roswell for this one:

Red vs Blue Public Service Announcement regarding "Real life vs. the Internet."

http://www.gofish.com/player.gfp?gfid=30-1047043

I think we have someone who fits in the "Internet Politics" scene.

mainebear
December 29, 2007, 07:31 PM
Well, at the risk of beating this thing to death, Id like to state the following. I've just became a senior member. I like the tone and caliber of this site, very much. The members here have saved myself, like a previous poster, many hundreds of dollars.
My rekindling of a sport that I had to abandon for a number of years is due, in great part, to this forum.
I too am probably considered by some as a bit straight laced, or narrow minded, or an old fuddy duddy. So be it. My wife and I have raised 5 children who sometimes challenged our views but as there are now six grandchildren around they now embrace those views.
Age maturity and wisdon are hard won. I for one congratulate the moderators of this forum, and thank them and the other members for their fine contributions. Now I will put away my soapbox and slip quietly to my reloading bench. thanks all and Happy New Year from snowy Northern Maine.

sm
December 29, 2007, 07:55 PM
Oleg : Steve, I am going to start a new Forum since TFL is closing; do you have any Southern Advice to offer?

Steve : Yeah, just remember what brung ya, and for Admins, Staff and Mods the rule is:

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money.

Oleg: So what if we have trouble makers?

Steve: Got a deal for that too: Fight, Fornicate or go for yer Gun.

Been working so far, no need to change what works...

Just send the damn check, or ride out of town.

tallpaul
December 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
Its amazing self proclaimed intelligentsia whine and protest when they do not necessarily get to go into others houses to protest without constraint but likely you would not be welcome to speak contrary or rudely in their home or business.

I agree with the old saying old "don't let the door hit ya..."

And I have been "corrected" here before and I like quite a few others here am adult enough to understand and appreciate the multiple chances I have gotten...

The Deer Hunter
December 29, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'm not looking for an argument, far from it. This is more in terms of an explanation.

Well then why are you giving your explanation to the members? We don't moderate you. If you really weren't looking for an argument you would have just private messaged the site admin(s).

See like if I were an admin, I would permanently ban your just based on how arrogant you come off as. But you know, I'm not a mod so, I guess your safe.

Black Adder LXX
December 29, 2007, 08:31 PM
I know I'm late, but I just want the mods to know that I think they're doing a great job. One of the things I like about THR is the amount of work the mods do keeping things on topic... I think the OP's comments are without validity.

Nix
December 29, 2007, 08:45 PM
well im not going to read every single post on all 4 pages because frankly its waaaaay too dramatic for me. i'm just going to post my own opinion.

I've been griped at once for not going high road, i wasnt banned and my thread was NOT locked i was just asked if i could edit it, which i willingly did. Since then i have realized (thanks to being on other forums) why the rules on here are the way they are, and i not only obey these rules but i embrace them. I find them very good to have, especially when the subject of firearms can be taken extremely out of context by the anti's. all thats needed is one anti reading a thread where 50 cowboys are discussing how they would break the law to get away with something, or threatening eachother to start a huge issue. The main rule when using a weapon should also be used when discussing a weapon, keep your maturity and wits about you at all times, and always remember thinking is a good option :-)

heritageguy
December 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
Lewis, don't let the door hit your on the way out!!!

Add ANOTHER troll to the Ignore List!

stan in sc
December 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
Every day of my advancing age just FORCES me to add to the list of people who can just please notice the mistletoe attached to my coattail.Lewis Wetzel made that list.

W.E.G.
December 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
In before the lock!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/marchhare-madhatter.jpg

tubeshooter
December 29, 2007, 10:34 PM
Y'all can stop beating the dead horse, I think the guy likely got banned a couple of pages ago.

Probably a troll anyway.

V-fib
December 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
this thread isn't gun related, the guy is a troll, why waste more space? :scrutiny:

Robert Hairless
December 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
sm:

Oleg: So what if we have trouble makers?

Steve: Got a deal for that too: Fight, Fornicate or go for yer Gun.

Now let's not be too hasty about asking the moderators to close this thread. Doesn't anyone else want to hear more about that second option in Steve's reply? :)

I just had a horrible thought. Is it possible that the moderators will let this thread continue forever to demonstrate why they lock other threads?

Old Fuff
December 30, 2007, 12:47 AM
The Old Fuff can't take this wild stuff. :what: :what:

What might come next??? Where are our faithful moderators when one is needed???

Oh, the horror of it all.... :D :D :D :D :D

Brian Dale
December 30, 2007, 01:16 AM
Bit of background for the OP:

For years, we'd all see an occasional post, or thread, asking how one could donate money to help cover THR's operating costs. The answer to that question used to be, "You can't. Sorry."

The thread from which I suppose that this thread was split answers the same, recurring question with, "Now you can. Here's how."

Too bad about all of the ruffled feathers.

sm, it's good to see you back.

MostlyGenius
December 30, 2007, 02:07 AM
Look a bandwagon!!!!

Seriously, having been on the internet since the rec.guns days, the "tactics list" and having seen how bad it can get, I really appreciate this forum. Without moderation the combination of the internet, firearms, stupidity, and heat will turn every exchange into simple dumbassery. Locking threads is not banning users. Keep up the good work, mods.

sm
December 30, 2007, 02:17 AM
Robert Hairless wrote :
Now let's not be too hasty about asking the moderators to close this thread. Doesn't anyone else want to hear more about that second option in Steve's reply?

This may come as a surprise to folks, but any chance of me gaining sainthood went out the window by the time I was age 3. *grin*

Life is Life and nobody said one always had to sugar coat what needs saying or doing, even being civil and polite, one sometimes just has to ..well ...
Some folks are more thick headed than others...

i.e.
Private In house Forums for a Corporation and I of all folks am one on Staff ....yeah, surprised the hell out of me too.

So these are Professional Folks and in a Professional Setting.
One guy makes six figures and is a big deal.
Great.
Respect and Professional Courtesy is what is expected on this Forum.
Just be civil and polite, and we had a sub-forum for dirty jokes and other tacky things.
I mean folks wanted to vent and all and it was allowed.

This guy is attacking folks.

Fight : so I PM him and remind him of Protocols ( yeah me using words like "protocols" - scary huh?)

Fornicate : He keeps up so ...err..."screw it" and I lock him out.
"You locked out a Big Guy with clout, that makes six figures...." the Big Bosses asked me.
"Yep, sure did. I have respect for the guy , still he had to put on his britches one leg at a time just like I do".

They backed me up - and this guy - actually - apologized.
[He does not apologize to folks...still he did...nobody had had ever went toe to toe with him...I ain't got good sense...]

Gun: Well he really pulled a good one. My gut got to wondering as it does and come to find out some things were "not right".

I pulled the trigger on him on the forum...
He ain't doing what he used to, investigations were quite interesting.

Don't look at me, I was volunteered to do that Staff bit - just folks teach folks how to treat them and this one fellow just needed the Three F's Applied is all.

You should see what how I handle a kid' forum. Long Distance Learning with "forum" or "chat room".
You ain't lived until you deal with kids from age 3 to age 7.
I had more fun and learned a lot with them kids ( parents and teachers).

Older bunch we did "rock, paper scissors" and young ones we did "gummy sharks".

Humm, maybe we need to try gummy sharks on THR? LOL

Yes boys and girls, one got real gummy sharks for participation and doing assignments, and one gave up real gummy sharks for not doing work or acting up.

Do they make Gummy Guns?...I gots an idea...*Grin*

Donate : I do stuff my way for THR and not all of Staff "really" knows what the hell I do.
Heck even I sometimes don't.

The Reality is, Forums of some type have always existed throughout history , before I was born.
Forums will continue in some fashion long after I am dead.
I ain't that big of a deal.

So-
One is left to access themselves, THR, any Fora, and if they want to participate, donate and if so, how to do so.

This ain't rocket science ya know...*wink*

Robert Hairless
December 30, 2007, 03:34 AM
sm:

Fornicate : He keeps up so ...err..."screw it" and I lock him out.

Oh darn.Just when it looks like we're getting to the good stuff it turns out we aren't. Now I don't care if this thread is closed. :)

ArfinGreebly
December 30, 2007, 04:26 AM
i like it here

everyones so snugly and hugable :D
Yeah.

Sometimes it's downright HYGGELIG.

:D

ArfinGreebly
December 30, 2007, 04:29 AM
thanks THR for a wealth of info here.

Where do I donate my money?

Well, you could always start here.

Nematocyst
December 30, 2007, 04:41 AM
...we're getting to the good stuff ...Um hmm.

Stay tuned ...

Robert Hairless
December 30, 2007, 05:16 AM
Nematocyst, nah fooled me once. That's enough. Steve shattered my illusions and broke my heart in the process. Sniffle.

Anyone have a Kleenex handy? :o

Nematocyst
December 30, 2007, 05:22 AM
Robert,

I'm talking about THR,
not any one person
or thread in it.

;)

Doggy Daddy
December 30, 2007, 08:20 AM
:cool:I just evaluated the OP the same way a dog evaluates anything:

Can't eat it,
Can't hump it,

So wizz on it and walk away.

rust collector
December 30, 2007, 09:38 AM
The OP reminds me of the Star Trek episode with the creature that fed off the emotions of the crew. Some folks go through life leaving a wake of distraction and destruction, and every now and then one crosses our path. The best we can do is remain focused on our original objective--enlightenment.

Not worth time or trouble of response, other than to say that the absence of that sort of nattering on THR is a distinction that I greatly appreciate. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

sm
December 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
Steve shattered my illusions and broke my heart in the process. Sniffle.

Anyone have a Kleenex handy?

Hey, I am just a Southern Boy, it is normal for hearts to get broke and the Kleenex to get busted out. *grin*

Here let me try something to see if some ladies make a donation to THR.

<Southern Drawl, leans against railing with one foot, head down, and lights a Marlboro with a Zippo, Southern Head turn, and smoke rings...>

Darlin' - you have the prettiest eyes and cutest smile, how about sending THR a donation and you and I step inside and I'll drop a dime in the jukebox and we'll get a RC from the icebox and split a homemade Fried Apple pie?

<swoon>

*wink*

TexasRifleman
December 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
we'll get a RC from the icebox and split a homemade Fried Apple pie?

Hah! Caught you! Everyone knows that the only thing that goes with RC is a Moon Pie.

Damn Yankees pretending to be from the south.......... :)

hankdatank1362
December 30, 2007, 12:45 PM
I'll bet he don't even pour peanuts in his pepsi!

Oh, btw, Doggy Daddy, that was quite possibly the funniest thing I have read.

Ever.

My bets are that the OP is long gone.

Claude Clay
December 30, 2007, 01:14 PM
if i wanted nasty & profane & confrontational posts, i would go to those sites that consider THR a joke. i rather like Oleg's home....keep your feet off of the furniture & be respectful of others. if this is a problem for you, perhaps you have others also? i say this because you speak as someone under 25...the 'entitlement generation'

ShadowHunter1
December 30, 2007, 01:27 PM
WOW! It's simple, even I a newbie here can see, either you like the board or you don't, either you CHOOSE to donate or not, either post or don't.

It is however common curitousy to not post in the manner that you did. So you choose not to donate monies so be it don't but you can keep that to yourself. Like others have said many other forums and sites out there, if this one is not for you or good enough to earn your support then simply move on.

Spot77
December 30, 2007, 02:07 PM
It's funny that a thread about overmoderation has stayed open so long when filled with personal attacks and "get out if you don't like it!" posts. :neener:

Just Jim
December 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
delete

jj

CrawdaddyJim
December 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
Whoa up there bud. The only fried apple pies around here come from that yankee operation McD's.

A proper combination would be Royal Crown cola and a moonpie vanilla or chocolate (I prefer chocolate)and the RC is not an RC without the peanuts in it.

Just Jim
December 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
What other boards do--

Have a moderated board and an unmoderated part of the site.

Two guys want to argue then take it to the Basement part of the site.

Board needs money then have a "fund drive"

Board wants more money then charge a percentage to sell guns on the site.

In any event the more people you have the more you will get money. When I first came here the moderators were adament that this site wasn't about "money".

For those who like the system the way it is and want to support it then do. If you don't like the way it is then say so by not sending in any money. If you hate it then go to a site with the freedom you want but support them in your freedom.

jj

sm
December 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
Born and Bred in da South.
<fires up a Marlboro Red>

Now lemme 'splain something about Southern Belles.
They know as well as the Southern Gents, Coke is any soft drink, no matter if Coca-Cola, Seven-up, Royal Crown ( RC ) Grapette, Dr. Pepper, even a Pepsi.

When in TX, one does Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola in Jawgia - called Respect for the Bottling Companies.

Now RC goes with a Moon Pie, no doubt.
Just ya see, ya'll ain't had Essie Mae's Fried Pies and while "assisting" getting a Moon Pie off another's corner of mouth, or chin is Proper and all...

Ya'll ain't had this Assisting getting one of Essie Mae's Fried Pies of each other...

Jawgia Peach got Fried Pie on the corner of her mouth...I "helped".

I've been wearing a mustache since I was 20, and am 52 now.
Let me share a little secret, while a Moon Pie will crumble and stick to mustache...

Fried Pies stick a bit more and take more doing in this "assisting".
We do stuff different in the South....

Excuse me, seems Darlin done got some pie on the corner of her mouth, nape of her neck and ear lobe...she needs my "assistance"

Hang on, seems we got a gal reading this thread in Indiana, using a Dell and on Comcast - looks a bit "flushed".

One of you Indiana boys need to go check on the lady, try using a Grant to fan her with and then send that Grant to THR...

"Babe, you gots pie on your mustache...let me get that for you ...."

*wink*

Brian Dale
December 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
...the RC is not an RC without the peanuts in it.
Hold on thar, Hoss!

Peanuts go in Pepsi; RC's to be drunk "neat." :neener:

Therefore, one drinks RC while shooting or cleaning guns, Pepsi with peanuts while just talking about guns; salt is bad for the metal, y'understand.

Mal H
December 30, 2007, 04:03 PM
Fun's over!

Done and done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why would I donate to THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!