Deal or No Deal????

PDA

Mot45acp
December 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
Guy at work has a Springer GI for sale. It has some Pros and Cons.

Pros: Has had 28 rounds through it. Original box of ammo with leftovers comes with it. Never been taken apart, hence no "idiot mark". No scratches or marks. Comes with box, and papers. Oh yeah almost forgot he only wants $325.00!!!!!

Cons: It FTF's on the last round of ball ammo out on both mags.

I am thinking this is one of two things:

1. Only 4 mags shot through it. It just needs to be put through the wringer.
or
2. Ditch the mags and use some of my Shootin Stars.

I am not a 1911ologist. The only thing it needs is an extended grip safety due to my fat hands dont like to be pinched. Do they sell parkerized ones?

Would you do it?

edit to add: This will probably become my knock around gun. Used as my lawnmower/four wheeler/kayak/truck gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deal or No Deal????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
December 29, 2007, 05:28 PM
i say go for it. it is a sa 1911 for one, and there ain't a thing wrong with that. sounds like a great deal, buy some quality mags, and tht should fix the ftf problem, i am sure it will but if it dose't sa will take care of it and make it right i guarantee it.

lee n. field
December 29, 2007, 06:01 PM
Springer GI
$325.00

Buy.

With regard to the feeding issue, the 1911 has been around a long time. There's a large body of experience out there with regard to 1911 functioning. Someone will know how to fix it. It's also going to be covered by Springfield's warranty.

The only thing it needs is an extended grip safety due to my fat hands dont like to be pinched. Do they sell parkerized ones?

I'm sure someone does. They sell everything else for the 1911.

Never been taken apart, hence no "idiot mark".

Never been even field stripped? :rolleyes: Some people. The first thing I do with a new handgun is learn the takedown procedure.

weisse52
December 29, 2007, 08:18 PM
At that price how can you say no!

Wilson 8 rounders have never failed me.....

Have you tried a 1911 and know it pinches? I know the extended ones are popular, but hate to see someone spend money on them if not needed. Maybe I am lucky, but I have been shooting them for 35+ years and have never been pinched.

But, it you need it, you need it.

XavierBreath
December 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'd buy it before somebody else does.

kingpin008
December 29, 2007, 09:59 PM
+1. I'd buy it. In my experience (admittedly limited, but I read a lot too!) most feeding problems with 1911's that are straight-out-of-the-box are either magazine or "break-in" related. I had feeding issues with my Charles Daly 1911, but I switched mags and put some rounds through it, and it's been butter smooth ever since.

usp9
December 29, 2007, 11:51 PM
Deal!

the pistolero
December 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
Yup, it's a deal, one I'd be on like a duck on a junebug. I'd guess the FTF was due to the magazine, but in any event I reckon Springfield would take care of the problem.

The first thing I do with a new handgun is learn the takedown procedure.
Lol, one of the great things about collecting 1911s...in most cases you don't have to learn a new takedown procedure with each new one. :D

Mot45acp
December 31, 2007, 02:27 AM
I have shot one of the stainless mil specs and it would pinch me. I have a loaded black stainless model, but, it is too nice to carry.

I'm really wanting a budget 1911 that I can shoot the pi$$ out of. He said he would hold it till payday.

Normally I would wait for more responses, but 100% "buy it" replies. I bet I would cuss myself if I passed it up.

I really like the KISS lines of it. I may have to concentrate on my grip instead of changing out the grip safety.

AirplaneDoc
December 31, 2007, 02:32 AM
I would take it, run 2 boxes thru it if that does not clear the problem, send it in, for warranty work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deal or No Deal????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!