1911- 45 ACP Gold Dot load question

PDA

colubrid
December 29, 2007, 07:13 PM
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I just picked up two new types of Gold Dots from a gun show today. They are both .45 ACP +P rated 'Georgia Arm maunufacture'. I would like to know what the pros and cons are of each type.

180gr GD 1100 FPS
230gr GD 850 FPS

I am using them in my carry gun Colt Gunsite CCO which has the aluminum frame and commander length slide barrel. I have been using the 230gr Gold Dots for years. I just thought I would see what the ballistics are of a 180 gr bullet @1100 fps would be like.

Which would be better for my gun (ie followup shots, poss damage to aluminum frame?) and which is a better one stop bullet?..okay I mean better expansion. Will the more known 230GR that has been proven be the better carry load for my gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911- 45 ACP Gold Dot load question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cannonball888
December 29, 2007, 07:18 PM
I won't use +P in my alloy frames. 230gr gives me the most accuracy.

steelyblue
December 29, 2007, 07:23 PM
I would go with the 230gr, I've been wanting to try the gold dots. Don't forget to buy enough to see how they cycle in your gun!

Mark whiz
December 30, 2007, 12:25 AM
At least theoretically, the lighter bullets will cause less recoil and allow you to pull on target for the next shot quicker.

Personally I handload 200gr Gold Dots for my 1911 that run 940fps and they work really well. Tested them on 2 liter bottles of water and the damage was quite impressive. The thing about using Gold Dots for protection is that they have a wide hollow cavity, which tends to make them expand more and penetrate less - which means you really have to think about your individual needs. I usually alternate Gold Dots and Golden Sabers in my magazines just in case the 1st Gold Dot doesn't penetrate enough to stop the situation, them the Saber is up next and it penetrates better.

MICHAEL T
December 30, 2007, 02:57 AM
I use 185+P Corbon DPX in my LTW Commander Defender and Agent. It doesn't feel any more in recoil to me than a 230. I tried some 200gr+P in my Commander and never again. Recoil and follow up to slow. I don't shoot GD except in my 44 spl. Their great in a revolver

If you enjoyed reading about "1911- 45 ACP Gold Dot load question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!