American Ammunition quality

PDA

alemonkey
December 29, 2007, 10:35 PM
Anyone have any experience with American Ammunition (the brand, not the country)? I was thinking of ordering a couple hundred rounds in 45-70. I plan on reloading the brass, so even if the ammo is mediocre that's ok with me as long as the brass is good. Just wondering because it's so cheap, almost too good to be true.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Ammunition quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
December 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
iv heard not so nice stuff about the pistol ammo. its kept me from actualy using it myself. for pistols, wwb is about the same price, so i use that. no help on rifle or 45-70 specific

JohnBT
December 29, 2007, 10:51 PM
Going back years, based on widespread experience with handgun calibers, they have the worst reputation. The worst.

John

Copied from the first page of a google search on amerc ammo:

Your American Backyard Forum the outdoors bulletin boardWell I got the new ammo and the first 15 rounds I had 6 failures. No more Amerc ammo for me. I am pulling the bullets, saving the powder, and dumping the ...
www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12783 - 82k - Cached - Similar pages

American Ammo imports IMI, amerc ammo is differentIn Response To: WTK: American Ammunition 9mm ammo (smsi). I don't know who makes the amerc ammo, but it is not good. Messages In This Thread ...
www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?noframes;read=411201 - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Love-Hate 1911's... Help! [Archive] - THR--What brand of ammo are you using? Is it reloads. If you are perhaps using AMERC ammo you just screwed up. Bad stuff. --Consult an ordained 1911 smith. ...
www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-9227.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Any .45acp Ammo I SHould Stay Away From?? - 1911ForumIn my reloading, I cull the brass stamped AMERC; if the brass isn't worth reloading, I suspect the ammo isn't very good, either. ...

alemonkey
December 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yikes...sounds like the brass is crap. Think I'll stay away.

kingpin008
December 30, 2007, 12:31 AM
JohnBT pretty much nailed it - American Ammunition (AMERC) is garbage. Most, if not ALL reloaders I know and have talked to throw it straight on the scrap pile.

kingpin008
December 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
Damn. Double tap.

Is it just me, or is the site acting up a bit tonight?

ftierson
December 30, 2007, 02:37 AM
What kingpin008 says...

Both times...

:)

Forrest

rangerruck
December 30, 2007, 03:43 AM
I think it is lowgrade, Serbian or some such.

MIL-DOT
December 31, 2007, 11:23 AM
I grabbed a few boxes of this stuff in .40 at a gunshow a few years ago,then started reading lots of bad reports on it. I asked about it here on thehighroad a year or two ago,same as you, and most of the advice i received said "throw it away". i haven't tossed it, but i haven't shot it,either!! I guess i'm saving it for SHTF bartering ammo.

Geno
December 31, 2007, 11:30 AM
Never heard anything good. When I still had my .45-70, I purchased only 1 box of factory ammo. The rest, I reloaded. Buy yourself 200 pieces of brass, and 500 projectiles. That will make a nice start. I suggest form-firing them.

My Ruger No. 1 and my Encore pistol were both very accurate with 300, 350 and 400 grain projectiles, using H4895 powder. JMHO.

Best of luck.

Doc2005

If you enjoyed reading about "American Ammunition quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!