Should I buy a Steyr pistol?

PDA

phantomak47
December 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
I have always been interested in these pistols and with the prices that CDNN investments is selling them for, I have to admit that I am pretty interested in them. I have been to steyr club forums for quite sometime, but I have seen a lot of problems with steyrs on their forum, so I am a bit confused. Some love them and some hate them........wait isnt that a description of a Kimber or former kimber owner? JK

Anyhow, I want to see what the highroad has to say about steyrs.

Please vote and post why.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a Steyr pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DENALI
December 30, 2007, 12:04 AM
No.............................................................................:)

boalex207
December 30, 2007, 12:18 AM
I must be missing something :confused:

I've never seen many posts to indicate widespread problems with Steyrs.

balin
December 30, 2007, 02:25 AM
I love mine. I had some problems with one magazine when I first got it. After cleaning then offending mag the gun has been accurate and flawless.

Guitargod1985
December 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
I shot the M40 and it was great. The grip takes (for me) a little while to get used to and the trapezoid sights are different, but once you grow accutomed to them (fairly quickly) you should like them. If they offered the sights in tritium I'd have a Steyr pistol now.

NGIB
December 30, 2007, 08:00 AM
I seriously considered getting one myself as they appear to be well built and a good value. Actually liked the triangular sights as well. Did a lot of research on them and it appears most of the problems identified were fixed with the A1 version. Chose to get a Sig 225 (P6) instead as I don't have a Sig yet and it was priced right...

JaxNovice
December 30, 2007, 08:16 AM
I had actually had some nice interaction with Steyr's customer service last week. I was thinking of buying one and reached out to them to make sure the U.S office still had a pulse. Dealt with a really nice guy who actually spent some time explaining the proper way to break one in. I went down to Shooters in Jax to pick one up and just could not get used to the feel and sights. I might buy one at some point but not until I spend time shooting one before.

bluetopper
December 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
I bought an M9A1 as IMHO it was and still is the coolest looking handgun on the market and it fit my hand like a glove. It ran flawlessly and seemed to be very well built. The breaker for me was it shot waaay too high with no adjustable sights to correct it. I would have loved to have kept it :(if the sights were adjustable but I dispise a handgun that won't shoot to point of aim.

denfoote
December 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
I didn't buy one, when I had the chance, simply because I didn't like the sights. Since those triangle or whatever sights were an intergral part of the gun's "mystic" I could not see buying one just to then change out the sights.

possum
December 31, 2007, 02:43 AM
yes you should get one, tell us about how it performs and show pics!;)

bannockburn
December 31, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have the earlier M9, and so far, so good. No problems to report, though I think some of the early models like mine had extractor problems. The gun itself fit like a glove, I liked the manual safety, and wanted to try the trap sights just because they were so different from anything else I've ever had.

salthouse
December 31, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have an S9. One of my best purchases ever. Eats any ammo, is accurate, easy to clean/maintain. No failures to date. Would not hesitate to buy another.

Silvanus
December 31, 2007, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately they are not very popular in the US and Europe. But Steyr makes excellent handguns. Buy it, you will love that pistol.

bannockburn
December 31, 2007, 12:15 PM
salthouse

I tried the S9 and even though I have small hands, the reduced grip just didn't feel as comfortable as the full size M9. No matter; an excellent gun, great for CCW.

PS: Enjoyed your sig line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a Steyr pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!