Star PD .45 Pistol questions

PDA

Jumpin4Joy
December 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
My father is an original owner of a Star PD .45. Its a nice single action pistol, holds six rounds and is lightweight (due to a partially aluminum construction). It's manufacturer, Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A., is out of business as of 1997. We'd like to know the manufacture date. The serial number is: 15888155. Any additional information or experiences from other owners would also be appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Star PD .45 Pistol questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AndyC
December 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
Excellent pistol; it was the carry .45 back in the day.

Some info regarding dating here: http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/proof.shtml

HisSoldier
December 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
Somewhere on the pistol there will be a date code. It will be 2 letters, more correctly, one letter followed by a number, usually with a star above and between the two, like this "M*2". It will be in the magwell, under a grip panel or on some pistols exposed on the frame, although Star doesn't seem to do that in the ones I have.
http://9mmlargo.com/year_codes.htm

Jumpin4Joy
December 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ok, I found the proof code underneath the left side grip panel. A2, indicating a 1981 manufacture date. In my reading, some authors stated that these pistols (particularly the later models) were prone to fatigue and failure. Notably, there is apparently a plastic slide buffer that can crack. How do we check for this. Also, any other concerns for this piece?

Thanks, Jeff

bluetopper
December 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
The recoil buffer is at the rear end of the recoil spring.

If you need a new one there is someone who sells them on auctionarms.com all the time.

papajohn
December 30, 2007, 01:57 PM
Great Pistol, always wanted one, but could never get any of my stingy brother officers to part with one. :scrutiny:

When you find the source for recoil buffers, buy a bunch. They should be replaced after each 500 rounds or so, depending on the severity of the load.

PJ

skinewmexico
December 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
Guy on the Spanish Pistol Forum (name of STAR), can get you any parts you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Star PD .45 Pistol questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!