Heat/Humidity Affect Gear?

PDA

Rustynuts
December 30, 2007, 01:08 PM
I live in Florida and may have to setup my press in the garage (depending on how much I kiss the wife's butt!). Just wondering if the heat and humidity will affect the press, primers, and powder? I assume it will, just how much I have to worry!

If you enjoyed reading about "Heat/Humidity Affect Gear?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
December 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
Heat and humidity are not good for powder and primers, the tooling if not wiped down can rust from humidity the same as your guns. Lots of people seem to load in their garage and keep components in the home. Maybe the little lady will allow you that?

Rustynuts
December 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
I may try to sneak it into the bonus room, she hardly ever goes in there. Once it's there and all setup, it'll "maybe" be harder to make me move it! Anyone have any nice covers to go over presses? It's a Lee Load Master with all the attachments!

GaryL
December 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
Sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Sounds like the case here.

antarti
December 31, 2007, 02:03 AM
I'm a fellow Floridian, and a coastal guy too.

Basically, I load in the garage, where everything that isn't covered in lube rusts (tools too) as-you-watch. I use heavy-duty ziploc bags to hold dies, tools, etc, then put them in plastic cans, then in closed cabinets. It's the only way I've found to keep stuff from turning worthless in just a couple weeks.

qajaq59
December 31, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'm in Florida and on the coast as well. I keep my press (with a coat of WD40), plus the bullets and anything that wont rust outside. But otherwise I bring the rest in and out. For me though, the salt air is a bigger problem then the humidity.

Rustynuts
December 31, 2007, 10:31 AM
Be aware that WD-40 may not help prevent rust long term. It's more of a solvent than lube. Good for initial water displacement though (which is what the WD stands for) I'd try some Boeshield for longer term storage. Works good on my cast iron table saw top. May need to be wiped off if used heavily as I think it has some parrafin in it.

Sport45
January 1, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm in Houston and have the same problem. I don't worry about surface rust on the presses except on the machined areas. I make sure the rams get a coat of oil or grease whenever I stop. The dies or toolheads get a shot of silicone oil, are wrapped in a rag, and then stored in a 50-cal ammo can. Most of my dies are rusty on the outside, but that doesn't affect them at all. Simply putting things in workbench drawers or closed cabinets seems to help a lot as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heat/Humidity Affect Gear?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!