Ammo Shortage merged threads, aka UberUltraMasterAmmoThreadOfPower

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

UTdave
December 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
So I'm just getting into this, I have my first 9mm handgun. The prices for practice ammo are easy enough to figure out, but I'm getting a little confused about pricing discrepencies with the high end stuff. My first purchase was 20 speer gold dots for $20. Yikes! When I took my CFP class, the instructor mentioned that we could expect to pay about a $1 a round for good defensive ammo, so I was thinking that's just the way it is. Then I do some more shopping around town and start finding other brands that I thought were top shelf, like Federal HST, at $18 for a 50-box. So why is there such a wide price range? Is there really that big of a difference in quality between these brands?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Shortage merged threads, aka UberUltraMasterAmmoThreadOfPower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kd7nqb
December 30, 2007, 05:41 PM
Any sort of defensive ammo is going to be much more expensive. Speer gold dots at ~$1 each is about right. I don't know much about HST's so I wont comment on them. Practice ammo for 9mm is much cheaper you can get it for about $9/50rounds. Find the cheapest ammo that your gun will run with reliably and use that for practice (I personally wont run steel case stuff through my guns but thats me). Also accuracy will vary with ammo prices and brands. The best solution is to go to wherever you buy your ammo and buy many different brands and shoot them. This does a few things,

1. Get you range time with your gun
2. Tells you what you like and don't like about each brand of Ammo
3. Lets you see the variety in ammo available.

ROMAK IV
December 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
+1 with the exception being, practice with enough of your defensive ammunition to make sure it feeds reliably, and prints similiar to your practice ammunition.

AK103K
December 30, 2007, 05:57 PM
You can do a lot better than $1 a round, especially if you order off the web. If your buying the 20 round boxes, your paying to much.

Streichers has Federal 9mm +P+ 115-grain JHP (9BPLE) $17/50 round box

Federal Cartridge 9mm +P Tactical HST for $21/50 round box

Ammoman sells 9mm (+P+) 124 GRAIN FEDERAL P9HS3G and 9mm (+P+) 115 GRAIN FEDERAL 9BPLE for $25/box of 50, but you need to buy 5 boxes(mix and match). His price includes shipping.

Ammoman also sells...... 9MM NATO 124 GRAIN - FULL METAL JACKET
WINCHESTER MANUFACTURER
NATO HEADSTAMP AND BOXED MARKED 9MM
NATO HEADSTAMP READS "WCC 06" PART# Q4318
$229/1000(delivered)

This stuff is hotter than most of the other commercial stuff and allows you to practice with ammo thats about the same power lever as your carry ammo. It may be a little harder on the gun if you shoot a lot of it though, but offers more realistic practice.

Double Tap is also a good place for hotter ammo at reasonable prices....

9mm+P 124gr Speer Gold Dot JHP 50rds. $24.95

If your going to oder in bulk, which generally is the cheapest way to go, be sure you understand that a lot of these companies dont give you the shipping prices until the last page at checkout. One of the reasons I like dealing with Ammoman, what you see is what it costs, and he's often still cheaper.

CypherNinja
December 30, 2007, 05:59 PM
There are other factors than quality. Some designs may just be flat out harder to manufacture.

Others may be produced in lower volumes, meaning there's less economy of scale.

Things like the costs of development also get figured in, as well as certain markups based on any names that might be involved. ;)

baz
December 30, 2007, 06:13 PM
Speer Gold Dots get a premium because that's what people will pay for them (and because they are perceived to be worth the difference). When I started reloading, I found that the Gold Dot bullets were not that much more expensive than other bullets. More expensive, yes, but not that much more expensive. As an example, GDHP's run me about $6 per hundred more than Hornady XTP's. That works out to 6 cents more per bullet. The profit margin on factory loaded Speer Gold Dots has got to be a gold mine for Speer, as the price difference is not reflected in the cost of the bullet itself.

I reload gold dots in 9mm for about than $0.23 each, with $0.18 each being the cost of the bullet. Of course for plinking, I shoot a much cheaper bullet. But still, at 23 cents a round, I can practice a bit more with the gold dots than if I were buying commercially loaded ammo.

hotpig
December 30, 2007, 06:16 PM
Most regular defensive ammo is sold in 20 round boxes. Thanks to the internet you can buy LE grade ammo in 50 round boxes for about the same price as the commercial 20 round box.

Before you buy from places like ammoman shop around. Often it is cheaper to pay shipping than it is to buy from him. Some times he has neat stuff that you can not find at other places. Just do not buy guns from him.

Claude Clay
December 30, 2007, 07:15 PM
re-load & a beta crony. reiner jacketed ( coated actually) bullets of the same weight ; match velocities & for about ,15 cents per round in 9mm or 40 or 45 you can practice what you carry as much as you want.

ZeSpectre
December 30, 2007, 08:13 PM
When comparing ammo I always reduce it to price per round to avoid confusion :)

While I have bought $1.00/round premium ammo before I generally try to find a price point around $0.45/round as a maximum for good brand-name self defense ammo.

Blackbeard
December 31, 2007, 01:53 AM
I currently have Remington 115gr JHP 9mm loaded in my G17 as my self-defense round. Is this an adequate defensive cartridge? What makes the premium cartridges (Cor-Bon, Gold Dot, etc.) better?

357-8-times
December 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
Oops. ignore this post pleaze

WeedWhacker
December 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
Don't buy 20-round boxes of ammo; Speer sells 50-round boxes for about the same price, but you'll have to do some looking.

Georgia Arms uses 124gr Speer bullets over a +P powder charge and sells those for a very reasonable price in bulk.

ilbob
December 31, 2007, 12:09 PM
The profit margin on factory loaded Speer Gold Dots has got to be a gold mine for Speer, as the price difference is not reflected in the cost of the bullet itself.
Not necessarily. Marketing any product can be very expensive, and spreading that cost out over a small amount of product actually sold means a lot of the retail price of the product is actually marketing.

ReelFaith
March 11, 2009, 12:23 AM
Just Curious? Walmart is the worlds best at inventory control but continues to have low to no handhun and rifle ammo instock. Additionally, Bass Pro and mom & pop dealers have minimal inventory. These retailers can't get ammo! WHY isn't the media interested in this situation? I have not read or heard anything about National the no ammo instock environment. Why Not? Why is the media so quiet? Oh well, Just Curious.:confused:

Cannonball888
March 11, 2009, 12:26 AM
They're part of the conspiracy :scrutiny:

Hungry Seagull
March 11, 2009, 12:29 AM
It's been going on for months since the Election. First it started with Guns, now the people ahem, learned that these guns need feeding.

ThrottleJockey
March 11, 2009, 01:13 AM
It is evidence however, of the whole tinfoil hat theory that the media is controlled by the gov. I mean, if it were toilet paper, milk, beanie babies or x-boxes flying off the shelf, they'd be covering the HE77 out of it right?

zminer
March 11, 2009, 01:31 AM
It seems like a bit of an exaggeration to say that there is no ammo available anywhere, and that retailers cannot get any. Sure, when there's a buying spree on an item which requires "feeding," there's bound to be an echo of buying of the item which it "eats." So, yes, there will be shortages at first. I've had minor trouble finding particular calibers, but ammo is not gone. It's just taking manufacturers a while to increase their production of an in-demand product. (Side note: I just submitted a question to CCI to see how long it takes for them to produce ammunition - from raw materials to a manufacturer's door. My guess is that they're doing such big runs that it's a matter of months rather than weeks ... but I could be wrong.)

Also, the analogy to toilet paper or milk or other essentials is not quite apt. Ammunition is not something that everyone needs on a daily basis, and it is something which - given the tools and know-how - one can make for oneself. (I guess you could weave your own toilet paper, but it might not be worth the effort.)

ThrottleJockey
March 11, 2009, 01:35 AM
On the contrary, I NEED ammo. I DO NOT need milk or toilet paper, as I A.have both, and B.don't drink milk and leaves/napkins etc wipe my butt just fine. Plus, one could milk a cow much easier than producing the components needed for the manufacture of ammo.

Eagles6
March 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
Wallyworld is not a fair indicator of the situation. They have been getting out of guns for a while. Our local ones sell no firearms save 1 CVA muzzleloader. I doubt if ammo is a priority to them. Ammo is still available, just not the cheap steel cased 7.62 x 39. Everything else is being bought up, sometimes at the wholesale level.

Clint C
March 11, 2009, 01:45 AM
The same amount of ammo is being produced. There are just more people buying guns and ammo. My dealers tell me as soon as they get some in it sells out. My cousin told me his friend went into a shop when they had just gotten in some .45 ammo and bought all of it, and that kid doesn't even have a job. So if people without a job are buying this much ammo just think what the people with a job are able to do.

Just hold on guys it will be back on the shelf. There is no conspiracy going on.

Who here really thinks someone is going to tell the manufactures to slow down on production, and who really thinks those people would listen if it did happen?

There is just a very high demand for everything right now. It well get back to normal, just chill.

ThrottleJockey
March 11, 2009, 01:51 AM
ClintC, perhaps slowing down production is voluntary. It artificially raises prices, and produces the same profit at less expense with less effort. Not saying this is the case, but we are CAPITALISTS concerned with the dividend checks and stock values right? I mean the guy buying the product isn't really the customer, the guy buying the stock is.

scottgun
March 11, 2009, 01:52 AM
I have heard and read quite a few stories recently about the run on guns and ammo.

zminer
March 11, 2009, 02:04 AM
On the contrary, I NEED ammo. I DO NOT need milk or toilet paper, as I A.have both, and B.don't drink milk and leaves/napkins etc wipe my butt just fine. Plus, one could milk a cow much easier than producing the components needed for the manufacture of ammo.

Heh. If you think it's cheaper and easier to get a cow, plus a place to house the cow, plus all the food, effort, and medicine required to keep a cow healthy and producing milk, not to mention finding a way to safely store and use the milk itself ... than it is to buy a Dillon press, some powder, dies, reloading books, and a few thousand primers and brass, I suspect you have another think coming. :)

Alternately, try telling any female visitors to your house that you don't have any toilet paper and see how far that gets you. :cuss:

ThrottleJockey
March 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm married, and I drive a truck. Only home an average of one day a month if that. Couldn't care less about butt wipe.

Rockwell1
March 11, 2009, 03:50 AM
I think the shortage is great, I'd much rather have that ammo in our gunsafes & on our shelves than sitting in a display at Walmart.

ThrottleJockey
March 11, 2009, 03:55 AM
Rockwell1, that sort of makes sense, but I like to replace what I use when I go shooting. With empty shelves, my supply just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I don't just have guns and ammo for a SHTF situation, I also REALLY enjoy shooting. I have several guns I can't even shoot anymore because I'm down to my last 50-100 rounds of that caliber and cannot find more. Heck, I'm down to 37 rounds of JHP in .45!!!

Davek1977
March 11, 2009, 05:39 AM
While there is indeed a shoartage of ammo, I've yet been unable to find what I was looking for with some presistence. I can buy more 9mm and .22LR ammo within a mile of my home than I'm likely to shoot in a lifetime. Yes, prices have gone up significantly, but theres plenty of ammo to be had is you look hard enough. to date, I HAVE NOT been ammo shopping for ANY caliber I own( .22, .17 HMR, .243, 30-30, 9mm 12 gauge .410, 7mm rem. mag, 7.62x39), and been unable to locate it (and at basically the same price as it was in November, with the exception of the 7.62x39)).

feedthehogs
March 11, 2009, 08:07 AM
These threads are tiresome and boring and show a lack of simple economic principle understanding by those who start them.

There's a finite supply of product. Said product is being bought at alarming rates by those who think the world is ending(ie remember Y2K).

There is plenty of ammo, I see it everywhere. Is there plenty of ammo at the cheap box stores? No because they order a set quanity and when it arrives, its sold out.

After all these box store sell much more merchandise than just ammo.

And like Y2K, in the future there will be more ammo than you know what to do with after all the idiots who bought on credit can't pay their bills anymore and have to sell.

Or maybe Nobama will bail them out too.

Bottom line is to buy when there is quanity and low prices.

everallm
March 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
I blame all those OTHER selfish buggers who've bought all the ammo before I could buy all the ammo. It's a conspiracy I tell you.......

Prion
March 11, 2009, 08:47 AM
I just bought a 140 rounds of various Federal and Hornady .223, 60 rounds of Federal .308, and 100 rounds of .45 Black Hills and 100 rounds of Blazer 9mm. Plenty more on the shelves. I just read an article posted here on THR about the ammo shortage written by the MEDIA!

JohnBT
March 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
I know, they can just buy a few million machines from Dillon and have at it. Maybe they can bus in the unemployed and homeless to run them.

They're running 3 shifts already. What do you want them to do?

Hello? There's a war on. Read that line again.

"Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition Co., LLC is a subsidiary of Alliant Techsystems (ATK) who among other things manufacture military and commercial ammunition. They own the CCI and Federal premium brands. In the fiscal year 2008 ATK’s annual report says “military small-caliber ammunition business again delivered more than 1.4 billion rounds to our nation’s armed forces.”.

ATK won the government owned Lake City Army Ammunition Plant operating contract in 2000 and took over from Olin (Winchester) in 2001 who were the operating contract since 1985."

1.4 BILLION small caliber rounds last year

Here's my take on the situation: Quit whining.

Coltman 77
March 11, 2009, 09:29 AM
Yesterday, I checked quite a few quality online sources of ammo that I've done business with in the past.

They are now effectively out of ammo too. :(

Glad I started stocking up last summer when it became apparent that Obama would win the Democratic nomination. ;)

Guns and more
March 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
The media doesn't want the public to know that there has been a run on ammo since "The One" was elected. It doesn't further the agenda.
"It's not news until we say it's news."

Hello? There's a war on.
Funny, there was a war on before January of 2009 but there was ammo on the shelf. Admit it, people are concerned and are stocking up.

Clint C
March 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah people are CRAZY and stocking up for no reason, other than they are crazy. Obama has nothing to do with it so leave him alone. Its the people doing it to them selfs.

Deanimator
March 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
Walmart is the worlds best at inventory control but continues to have low to no handhun and rifle ammo instock.
You can't control what doesn't exist.

A couple of months ago, I tried to get some Hornady TAP 200gr. .45acp. Even HORNADY didn't have any for weeks or months to come.

CoRoMo
March 11, 2009, 10:38 AM
The Wal Marts I read about on THR are nothing like the stores in my area.

I saw a shelf full, full of 9mm. They also had bulk packs of PMC 45acp, .40, etc.

It might be selling fast, but it returns to stock around here.

Hungry Seagull
March 11, 2009, 10:45 AM
My walmart had a scattering of turkey loads left on a shelf last night. Pitful.

Natchez is a website I haunt daily. One day... pounce!

DHJenkins
March 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
The closest walmart to my work has a line of people waiting at 8am to buy up whatever ammo came in that morning...

Coltman 77
March 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
My two local Wally Worlds have had really bare shelves since about Christmas.

JColdIron
March 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
I reload but was out of projectiles when a friend wanted to shoot. Local WM was out of 45ACP and 9mm- all flavors. They had plenty of 40 though.

We bought 12 ga and some clays instead and shot those instead. Got to be flexible and have a selection to choose from. Reminds me I guess I need a 40 cal...:D

ezenbrowntown
March 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
Think about the ammo situation like a all you can eat pizza buffet. Let's say your normal traffic includes an average of 200 patrons, who eat 3 or 4 slices of pizza. You're figuring on 600 to 800 pieces of pizza. Now let's say due to circumstances, people starting gorging themselves on pizza, thinking there won't be anymore pizza any longer. Now you're patrons go up and the amount of slices goes up as well. Say you've got 400 patrons eating 9 to 10 pieces. 600 to 800 slices just moved to 3600 to 4000.

Compare that to ammunition. Companies have been making a certain amount of ammo, give or take, for some time. All of a sudden, demand shoots through the roof, and they don't have the productional means to get there supply that high. Look on this thread, and threads like these of people "stocking up" or even "buying the mother load". Even I've found myself planning to make an order for 300 to 500 rounds, when I usually buy about 100 at a time. With most frequent customers upping the amount they usually buy, as well as non-frequent shooters now entering the buyers' market, ammo can't be kept up with.

Wal-Mart isn't "out" of ammo. It just doesn't stay on their shelves long. Our local gun store is the same way. They sell out in hours rather than days or weeks. Add in the panic people are feeling when they see empty shelves, they buy more than they usually would. It'll come around. The backorder waits seem to be shorter than they were at the beginning of the year.

3pairs12
March 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah the Walmart near my house and the Academy have had some bare shelves since November or so. There was an interesting piece yesterday on Fox News. They had a gun shop owner in to thank Obama for the massive increase he and his competitors had since the election, and to remind him ther are millions of new voting gun owners.

Lonestar.45
March 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
I've seen a lot of stories in the media about the run on guns. I haven't seen any stories about the run on ammo, or the triple increase in prices over the last 3-4 years.

Demand is outstripping supply, that's it plain and simple.

However, the "there's a war on you know" excuse was played out about the first 3, 4, 5 years of the war. We've been in Iraq now going on SIX years. You'd think that by now the companies making ammo would've ramped up production and invested in infrastructure to increase their output in a big way. They had to have been making huge sums of money over the last 6 years (just like the oil companies).

Commodities prices have come way down from a year or two ago also, and availibility has gone up due to the slowing of the global economy, but *surprise* the price of ammo has not come down and availability is worse. To some extent it is the changing political winds to blame, but I don't believe that is the entire reason for the price gouging and low supply.

Ben86
March 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
I hope this ends soon because I am tired of not shooting as much as I used to. How many thousands of rounds do these people need to stock up on? Suddenly reloading looks more attractive than ever. This is the worst bit of gun control I've ever experienced LOL!

Iansstud
March 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
Here in Western Washington, I have 2 walmarts within 30min... They have less than 20 boxes of ammo between the two of them!!! I check alomst every day!! it has been like this for 3 months now... they have .270 .243 .22 .308 (really pricey stuff in 180gr) some .32 auto, and thats about it!

I am not going to pay $40 for deer ammo to plink with my 308... thats $2 a round, Back in the day you could buy bulk 50BMG ammo for $2 a piece, and I though.... You would have to be rich to shoot a 50cal

I check 5 out of 7 days a week, and they say they get a case a week at random, and it is gone by noon... I dont even shoot anymore because I dont reload, and I my shoot the last bullets I can find...

They had .40sw last week for 1 day, It was the 250rd value packs, 6 of them!!!, I went the next day, it was all gone!!!

the gun show was even limited on ammo!!!! I'll be damned if I ever buy 1968 .308 ammo from pakistan for $23 a box....

dingo5
March 11, 2009, 01:35 PM
The hottest sector of the economy is guns and ammo. While clothing and electronic retailers are laying off employees and closing stores, gun stores are making record profits and gun and ammo manufactures cannot produce enough goods to meet market demand.

Of course Obama's logical response is to impose a new gun ban and new taxes to ensure that the one part of the economy that is actually doing well will also come to a screeching halt.

JWF III
March 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
some powder, dies, reloading books, and a few thousand primers and brass

Powder, primers, and brass? Have you looked for such lately? I can have a dairy cow at my house, with a round bale of hay before the sun sets. I can't do that with the previously mentioned.

Obama has nothing to do with it so leave him alone. Its the people doing it to them selfs.

I agree it's the people doing it. But it is BHO's talk and retoric that got them to doing it. So it's impossible to say that BHO had NOTHING to do with it.

Wyman

JohnBT
March 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
"You'd think that by now the companies making ammo would've ramped up production and invested in infrastructure to increase their output in a big way."

Why? Companies plan for the long haul, not the short-term blip in the market. When the wars end (and the President says they will; see the announced cuts in the military budget) the demand will fall and they don't want to be stuck with excess capacity and all of that idle machinery (refer to the car makers to see the trouble that causes.)

John

Clint C
March 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
JWF III,Point taken. I was at a few gun shops to day and you all should have seen the people buying the guns. Most of them were buying AR-15"s and "tactical" shotguns. One of the gun dealers was telling everyone in his store. You better buy them now. With this shooting prices well double tomorrow or the day after. Everyone's response was to reach for their wallets and pull out their credit card. I couldn't believe it actually worked. When the dealer started to do the background check on the people he said when he called the system said it was down. He said BS its not down they are just over run today because everyone is buying. So all the people were leaving big deposits on the guns and coming back later to pick them up. I thought how great is this, because I don't buy "tactical weapons" and the dealer himself told me he couldn't sell firearms that wasn't black and didn't carry at least a twenty round clip. That's good for me, that means cheaper guns for me. As far as ammo goes I had no trouble finding 30-30 Win ammo today. I even bought some leverevolution for $16.79, at some other stores it was $29.99. I don't know if I like it though. Scheels was selling their AR-15's for $900.00 today out the door brand new DPMS rifle with two mags and a plastic carry case, that is the same price they were selling them for a year ago.

Flame Red
March 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
My brother-in-law went to China-Mart yesterday because he was looking to hoard some 9mm and there is never anything on the selves except for maybe some 22's and some shot gun shells.

Found a counter guy (usual search and wait required) and he said that when he comes in at 7AM, there is a line of people at the counter asking what came in on the truck the night before. He goes back and looks and brings out what ever there is and the first guy in line buys it all. Happens everyday he says.

Clint C
March 11, 2009, 05:00 PM
Why would the companies amp up production when all they have to do is amp up prices. They don't care if you don't have ammo. If they stay at the same production rate they don't have to pay employee's overtime and with a "shortage" they can raise up the prices and still make it at the same price as before.

CapnMac
March 11, 2009, 05:09 PM
with a "shortage" they can raise up the prices and still make it at the same price as before

Well, actually, the people shipping the product are asking for more, since they have more trips to make. The rest of the price increase at the retail point goes to the retailer (since bulk-buying demands really even out across the wholesale spectrum).

floods
March 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
Got your wish:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090313_11_A1_ARuger442781

Featured on Drudge Report: http://www.drudgereport.com/

Dave Workman
March 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
See Seattle Gun Rights Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m3d13-Amid-economic-downturn-gun-sales-flourish-renewed-vigor-for-gun-rights-evident

Guns and more
March 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
I hope I never go back.

I was driving by one and I thought, "I'll just go to sporting goods on the off chance that they have some ammo." So I wait at the counter with two other families and there is no one there. I have checked the case and they did have two boxes of Remington .223 at $9.97 a box, and a bunch of boxes of Remington .223 at $17+ a box. I couldn't tell from the case how many or why the difference in price. Finally, a nice young man shows up and after I wait my turn, I ask about ammo. I did buy the two boxes of 20 rounds which totaled a little over $20.
What bothered me was the conversation I had with him.

Me: So when does the ammo come in?
Him: We never know, we don't get much and the gun dealers are buying it all up.
Me: Really? How do they know when to come here if you don't know when it's arriving?
Him: They just wait.
Me: That doesn't make any sense. How do they run their gun shops if they're here waiting on ammo?
Him: They send over employees.
Me: You mean they pay employees to stand around Wal*Mart and hope a shipment comes in? Is there one here now? Show him to me.
Him: Next!

Well, the bottom line is this, he was lying to me.
So either Wal*Mart is selling it out the back door to dealers (very possible)
or they don't get much. Either way, I was wasting my time.
The frustration factor just became too high.
By the way, they had no 9mm, .45acp, .380.
I went there prepared to buy a lot. I wasted an hour and left with 40 rounds of .223 at $.50/ round.

Phydeaux642
March 15, 2009, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the post-election world. It's great isn't it? This must have something to do with the change they were talking about.

Shovelhead
March 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
I believe most stores get their shipments at the same time and /or at least the same day every week.

All a gun shop owner needs to do is ask the FULL-TIME employee at the Sports counter (maybe after slipping him a couple of bucks) and eliminate the wait.

Note:
I've found in the past that asking a weekend (normally Part-Time) employee about the goings on in a store during regular hours is usually a total waste of time.

Kind of Blued
March 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
Weird. I probably would have chuckled and walked off. I see no reason to develop a conspiracy theory over what he said. He was likely saying whatever he thought would make you stop asking quesions and leave as quickly as possible.

SudSlinger
March 15, 2009, 08:56 PM
I hit up wally world yesterday. no .223, 45, 9mm, 00 buck or slugs. Only .22 and birdshot. I then went to academy sports where I picked up all the ammo i could ever want. They had very good deals (for todays times) on 9mm and 45acp.

Ridgerunner665
March 15, 2009, 08:58 PM
One of my best friends is manager at a local WalMart...they are having a hard time getting ammo too.

There are no "regularly scheduled" ammo shipments anymore (not like clockwork at least)...he knows a couple of days before they get there (and I know a few minutes later).

Gun shops do wait on ammo...most gun shops are waiting on ammo right now (be it from their distributors or WallyWorld...they are waiting)

JohnnyOrygun
March 15, 2009, 09:02 PM
My wife works at Wal Mart and what the clerk told you is true. If the wal mart warehouse is out, then the clerks at wal mart have no idea when they will get more stock. She told me that the products, such as ammo and wii's (both very popular right now) go to the stores that sell the most of them with other items. So if store no. 1 sells more guns and ammo together then store no. 2, store no. 1 will get more ammo allocated to them when the warehouse gets more in stock.

She told me that 45 ammo just came in and it was all sold out the same day. But all the local stores are having the same problem, Bi-Mart (local chain) had a coupon for 10% off all Remington handgun ammo, so I waddled in to buy some and guess what... none, nada, zilch. But then did have some Hornady and Winchester, so I bought those instead, at full price, of course.

Until people get over the panic buying, ammo will be in short supply. I say that and I have bought more ammo lately then normal, so I am as much to blame as everyone else. But as phydeaux642 said this is the "change" we were promised... and all the other "stuff" congress is doing. :fire::fire::fire::banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss:

I know this info doesn't really help, but the clerk was right. I know from my wife's experience that working at Wal Mart isn't that great, but it isn't as bad as some people think or would let on.

Anyhow that is my .02 YMMV

JohnnyOrygun

hometheaterman
March 15, 2009, 09:08 PM
Here they say they get shipments in every morning. I think that's what they said anyway but they don't know until they get them what it will have. So dealers may be just sending an employee over ever morning to check it out or have him stop by on his way to work every morning.

Ammo is hard to find just about everywhere right now.

Bill2e
March 15, 2009, 09:08 PM
After adding up the value of the time spent going into WM to see empty shelves I now believe it is cheaper & easier to order online & pay shipping.

feedthehogs
March 15, 2009, 09:11 PM
So either Wal*Mart is selling it out the back door to dealers (very possible)
or they don't get much

I heard at my local Wally that its just a national conspiracy against you.
They have your picture posted in the employee break room and the reason they were taking so long to get to the counter was because they were hiding the ammo from you.:rolleyes:

I'd get a lawyer and sue.

Phydeaux642
March 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
They have your picture posted in the employee break room and the reason they were taking so long to get to the counter was because they were hiding the ammo from you.

I KNEW IT!!:neener:

AK103K
March 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
The Walmart by me seems to have a steady supply of most calibers. I just picked up two .380 value packs, and they had 4 or 5 boxes left on the shelf after me. They didnt have 9mm value packs, but they did have a number of 50 round boxes. I also saw 50 round boxes of .40 and 357SIG. Prices havent changed since the last increase either.

TRGRHPY
March 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
From what I have been told by just about every sales person that works around the sporting good section at my friendly local walmart, their trucks come in at 4pm and they start unloading at around 6 or 7. They tell me that I can check at the 4pm time because they will have the shipping order/manifest/whatever, and can tell me what's on the truck. So far they actually have been nice enough to let me know what is/isn't on the truck and they have even told me when they will have access to the palate to retrieve whatever I need. They have also told me that they don't really know what is coming in ahead of time, only what the local wherehouse has received.

I had an irritating conversation with a walmart sporting goods clerk today too, only this isn't my normal friendly local walmart. In this walmart the ammo is hidden behind the counter so nobody can see or read what the heck is in stock, so I asked him "Do you have any...." and he cut me off to say " we don't have no pistol ammo, period" and he said it like he just caught me kicking his dog. After trying to get him to be a bit more specific as to cartridge type and the usual questions that you would ask, he wouldn't answer with anything intelligible, he just kept saying "no, no, no" even when "no" wasn't an option to the question. Before i walked off I told him that he was the least helpfull salesperson I have ever dealt with (there were children within earshot).

THEN, I get the door nazi asking for my receipt (I did ;urchase a steel spinner target for my boys), and she received my usual reply which is "no you may not". I'm not in a real walmart friendly mood right now, so if you told me that they were satan, I would agree with you and swear to it also.

Kind of Blued
March 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
I've stopped going to the Wal-Marts that don't have the ammo cabinets which I can walk right up to. Communicating with the individuals who usually man the counter once is hard enough, doing it six or seven times trying to find if they have ANYTHING I want is utterly unbearable.

so I asked him "Do you have any...." and he cut me off to say " we don't have no pistol ammo, period" and he said it like he just caught me kicking his dog. After trying to get him to be a bit more specific as to cartridge type and the usual questions that you would ask,

How could he have possibly been any more specific than that? And why would you continue to ask questions about pistol ammo if he had already said that they had none?

TheVirginian
March 15, 2009, 09:51 PM
I don't even buy light bulbs from WalMart. They can keep whatever they have. Better yet, send it back to China and buy some of our economy back...

blkbrd666
March 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
I just picked up two .380 value packs, and they had 4 or 5 boxes left on the shelf after me.

Now there's where the sortage is!!! The lowly .380 caliber that prior to last year was, "An inferior self defense round", is almost non-existent everywhere. There hasn't been any .380 in my town in six months. I can buy 9mm and .45 by the 1000rd case almost every week on at least one day of the week, but no .380. I have bought at least 5000rds of 9mm since Christmas, but have yet to be able to purchase 50rds of .380. I'm about a week away from buying a reloader and loading my own.

saiga762
March 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
I don't get why people who go to wal mart are hoarding ammo. The stuff sat there and didn't move for years

Phydeaux642
March 15, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm about a week away from buying a reloader and loading my own.

Good luck trying to find components.

TRGRHPY
March 15, 2009, 11:09 PM
How could he have possibly been any more specific than that? And why would you continue to ask questions about pistol ammo if he had already said that they had none?

Because I woke up this morning with 5 extra minutes in the day. (???)

When I ask a question of someone who is there to serve me, they better listen to my question before they pop-off with a smart-ass answer which doesn't accurately answer anything at all. Since it isn't the regular store that I go to, I was trying to get more information as to whether they get more regular shipments, more of it when it does come, when is the best time to check with that department in that particular store, are they getting more of a particular cartridge than others....basically the same questions that anyone looking to purchase something would ask a salesperson. By getting an answer other than "no", I could find out that perhaps I would have a better chance of purchasing 9mm there than another store. or that .45 just doesn't come in at all and when it does they only get a box or two. Maybe customer service doesn't mean anything to you, but if a place wants me to spend money at their establishment, they better be willing to answer some simple questions that will help me spend my money there.

By asking open and closed ended question, instead of accepting "NO", you can get information to help you purchase things. If this is a bother to a salesperson, too bad. And if it is a bother to a salesperson to help customers perhaps they need to be unemployed and let someone who wants to work be in his position.

BTW, is it intentional or just a gift?

I have bought at least 5000rds of 9mm since Christmas, but have yet to be able to purchase 50rds of .380.

No kidding, .380 is just not out there.

However, by asking questions to a helpful salesperson one day at walmart, I was able get information that .380 was coming in and was able to get a couple hundred rounds, even though they were out at the time I asked. Funny how that kind of thing works.

Quote:
I'm about a week away from buying a reloader and loading my own.

Good luck trying to components.

My dealer can't get anything in for reloading. If he does come across something he gets so excited that you'd think that Santa Claus himself just popped down his chimney with a winning lotto ticket for him. It's just insane how bad things are.

45reloader
March 15, 2009, 11:27 PM
if you need compnets to reload go through dillion or midway there are pleanty
reloading is the only way
if you need bullets to reload go through montana gold bullet most power and primers are best bought through your local reloading supply if you n=dont want to pay hasmat fee and brass high tech or scharr

Kind of Blued
March 15, 2009, 11:28 PM
BTW, is it intentional or just a gift?

I won't answer your cryptic, even "smart-ass" question (your words), but I will say that if you demand that employees be concerned about your well-being and satisfaction, I wouldn't shop at Wal-Mart. The problem for you now is that there's no such thing as a "Five Star Ammunition Dealer".

For what it's worth, I've had success limiting the vendor's involvement as much as possible. When buying ammunition (in Wal-Marts with the "ammo island") I ask them if I can come behind the counter and pick out what I want. Other times I can't find the guy with the key to the cabinet anyway, so I help myself and look for what I want. Once I find it, I pick up the fancy phone and say "Customer assistance to Sporting Goods, Customer assistance to sporting goods" with a cadence at the end. When I want to know when they'll be getting ammo, I'll ask, they'll inevitably say "I don't know" and we're done.

<edit> That being said, I don't doubt for a second that the guy you dealt with today was a jerk with poor customer service. :)

Prince Yamato
March 15, 2009, 11:33 PM
Just shoot 50bmg and .22LR, those prices are fairly consistent; very expensive and cheap, respectively.

blkbrd666
March 15, 2009, 11:33 PM
Good luck trying to find components.

There's a shop here in town that has an RCBS starter kit with a quarter inch of dust on the box, pallets stacked a foot deep in primers, bullets and powders galore at two shops...I have plenty of brass from years of keeping it. I could be reloading by sundown tomorrow. In fact, the ONLY caliber this shop is sold out of is .380...pallets of everything else.

AK103K
March 15, 2009, 11:36 PM
I suppose everyone got either a Kel Tec or Ruger for christmas. :)

Phydeaux642
March 15, 2009, 11:36 PM
There's a shop here in town that has an RCBS starter kit with a quarter inch of dust on the box, pallets stacked a foot deep in primers, bullets and powders galore at two shops...I have plenty of brass from years of keeping it. I could be reloading by sundown tomorrow. In fact, the ONLY caliber this shop is sold out of is .380...pallets of everything else.

You lucky son-of-a-gun. Maybe I need to move to Georgia.

cratti
March 15, 2009, 11:39 PM
Regarding the original post, I work at Wal-Mart. And yes, dealers (not necessarily shop owners) are buying massive amounts of ammo as soon as they know it's in stock. And I have had guys wait 3+hours just to see if we get any ammo off the trucks. That said, we've had dealers buy 400 boxes of Federal .223 Rem 45gr JHP (200rd boxes) at about $77 a box. Then, they turned around and resold it at a gun show for $200 a box. And people were buying it!

Phydeaux642
March 15, 2009, 11:42 PM
That said, we've had dealers buy 400 boxes of Federal .223 Rem 45gr JHP (200rd boxes) at about $77 a box. Then, they turned around and resold it at a gun show for $200 a box. And people were buying it!

Well, if someone pays that for it then they are as much a part of the problem as the guy selling it.

cratti
March 15, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yep. Though, we're all mightily urinated off at our store manager for explicitly forbidding us from limiting sales; as far as he's concerned a sale's a sale, and as long as his store's making money, he doesn't care how....

... Greedy :cuss:

JTW Jr.
March 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
By asking open and closed ended question, instead of accepting "NO", you can get information to help you purchase things.

If you ask a closed ended question , the answer will be yes or no.

The guy works at Wal-Mart for crying out loud , and is probably just a counter sales person , and very well may not know the information you wanted , give him a break.

I was at WalMart last week when a guy was irate that they did not have any hand gun ammo , he stepped to the side , still giving the clerk a hard time. I bought the last 5 boxes of 550 rnd Federal 22LR they had left... he turned to me and said " I was planning on buying some".... so I turned to loudmouth and said " Well , looks like they are out of that too now "

;)

TRGRHPY
March 16, 2009, 12:39 AM
Other times I can't find the guy with the key to the cabinet anyway, so I help myself and look for what I want. Once I find it, I pick up the fancy phone and say "Customer assistance to Sporting Goods, Customer assistance to sporting goods" with a cadence at the end.

The regular store I go to has the same set-up. A big store like that and they only have one set of keys, and that one set gets bounced around from one employee to the next and it's usually the employee who's on break. haha I think I'm going to petition them for my own set next week.

That's funny. You know someone who works there is thinking "who's the new guy in sporting goods?" :D

If you ask a closed ended question , the answer will be yes or no.

I'm aware of that. Instead of accepting a single blanket statement of "no", by asking further questions, open or closed-ended, you still get more information than the original answer. By asking open-ended q's you can potentially get more info than a closed-end, but if the person isn't being talkative then asking specific closed-end q's will be more productive.

The guy works at Wal-Mart for crying out loud , and is probably just a counter sales person , and very well may not know the information you wanted , give him a break.

Well the guy who just changes my oil had better know how to tighten my drainplug properly.

I have always heard bosses tell people that if they don't like their job, they can find another one.

First of all, I tried to ask him a simple question in a polite fashion and he cut me off with a very sarcastic answer and tone....completely unnaceptable. I don't care if he works at walmart kmart or savemart, you don't respond that rudely to customers who politely ask you a question, even if you have already answered it 200 times in the last hour.

Second, when I worked in sales, if I didn't know the answer to something I took the time to find out for the person. Why? Because it's called courtesy.

I was completely polite to the guy while I was trying to get any information from him. I didn't make the comment to him until after he gave me his final sarcastic episode (dirty look and sarcastic sigh).

I have two stores to compare, the store that I regularly go to and the one I went to today, and they handle the same situation completely opposite. The regular store knows and accepts that the ammunition situation sucks and they try to be as helpfull to their customers as possible. I have watched many different employees speak to many different customers besides myself, and they do as good a job as they possibly can. The other store's employee had a completely rude and uncalled for and unhelpfull attitude. I wasn't expecting 5-star service, just service with a smile. Like I said earlier, there are a lot of people who would gladly take his place if he hates working with customers so much.

Guns and more
March 16, 2009, 12:54 AM
He was likely saying whatever he thought would make you stop asking quesions and leave as quickly as possible.
Yeah, that happens to me a lot.

They have your picture posted in the employee break room and the reason they were taking so long to get to the counter was because they were hiding the ammo from you.

I knew it!

1KPerDay
March 16, 2009, 01:02 AM
I stopped by a wal-mart saturday to see if they had anything... the cupboards were bare, apart from a couple boxes of .45 auto. Guy after me asks if they have any .45 ACP. Clerk says no.

I tell the guy there are 2 boxes on the bottom shelf. Clerk says "what's ACP mean?"

Me::uhoh:

saiga762
March 16, 2009, 02:21 AM
^classic :D

fireman 9731
March 16, 2009, 02:29 AM
Same thing for me...

I ask if they have in 22lr in bulk packs...

Clerk says "nope, all out!"

I say "whats that right there?":scrutiny:

Clerk says "oh thats Federal AutoMatch, 325 round bulk pack"

I say "I'll take it":rolleyes:

quatin
March 16, 2009, 03:04 AM
This pops up over and over. Service isn't free. Walmart pays close to minimum wage to all the floor people to keep the store presentable and functioning. If you want good customer service with people who actually have a clue what the product is, go to some place like sportsman's warehouse.

sm
March 16, 2009, 03:56 AM
Look at yourselves.

You sound like a bunch of spoilt brats with nothing better to do than whine and carry on because some store "won't let" , or "you can't" or some other whiny butt something or another.

Internet is Global.
This Gun Forum is Global.

I hope like hell Wal-Mart threads become another Subject THR does not allow.
Personally, I am sick and damn tired of them.

Yeah, I hate Wal-Mart. MY Reasons go w-a-y back to the early days of Wal-Mart, Dollar General and Family Dollar Stores.
This is before some members were an itch in their daddy's britches.
Go look up these stores, with histories and beginnings.

Yes, I have met Sam Walton. Nice guy, and his fear, was Wal-Mart becoming what it has. Politics is my reason and that is all I will say about that.

The REALITY is...
I have moved some states away, and in a rural area. This is place is not even big enough to get a dot on a map.

I have one "store" in town, a gas station/convenience store up near the highway.
The closest town to me, of any size, that has anything is about 15 miles away.
And you guessed it.
Wal-mart is what you do. The Mom & Pops have retired, died off, or whatever.
The next "big city" for me is 30 miles or so.
That is where I had to take back the Rental Stuff I used in moving.

I am told if I really want to buy firearm stuff, I need to travel about 60 miles away.

I ain't the only member around here that is not living in a big city with "choices".

Oh I have lived in bigger cities. Oh I had mom and pop gun stores, and Franchises like Academy and Ganders.
Ganders tee totally pissed me off, and I and mine had just dropped about $3000.00 in a week's time.

They totally talked down to a little girl. Not just one, other gun folks did too.
Well behaved young lady and she was just looking at the "pretty guns" and not even touching them.
Heck the expensive Beretta O/U in the special showcase, she did not put finger prints on the glass.

That matter was "dealt with". Trust me, it is a good thing I took the little girl outside, because I was livid!
I let her mom and some other ladies do the "hell hath no fury like a momma having her daughter treated like that!"

Wal-Mart is a hot topic that cannot be discussed on THR. I have already asked Staff to make it one of the "off limit" subjects.

Do you folks not realize, we have members that are Anti's? They know darn well what buttons to push around here to get folk riled up.

Have you folks not noticed when some political something or legislative thing is going down, the influx of trouble makers that post as they do around here?
Trust me, some of what has gone on, has been in the wee hours and some of us have assisted Staff in cleaning up, and you folks never saw the threads.

Do you think these Anti's actually quote you correctly and use what you type in the context you mean it?

WE are our own worst enemies.

Hey, some folks do not have the choices others do around here in where they buy.
Some have all sorts of reasons as to why there are limits, or mdse is not available.
Some is local "reasons" from political flavor, to legislative to who know what, including Econ 101.

i.e. The nearest Wal-Mart to me, pulled all Zippo products.
I mean even the flints and wicks have been pulled.

The store mangers are not happy at all. They cannot get a straight answer.
Why are these Wal-Mart employees, and again, mgmt upset?

Because they looked me in the eyeball and said Zippo Lighters were one of the fire making tools that allowed them to survive some serious weather.
Zippo, Firesteel, Matches and Bic.
The Zippo worked best in the wind and weather.

Oh you can get Ronson fuel, and Ronson flints at the tobacco dept in WM, just you cannot find a wick if your life depended on it.
The Ronson fuel is fine, just is wise to use Zippo flints in a Zippo due to the length of the flint and hardness of flint.

So...I will have wait for someone to send me wicks, and flints.
I cannot even buy another Zippo locally, not that I am aware of, and I have called around.

A little tip.
It is going to get worse before it gets better.
I was around in the 80's when interest rates shot up and gold went over $800 an ounce.
I was around in the 70's when the economy had problems and I was around in the 60's with civil unrests...and even remember as a kid, when Milk was hard to get.
So babies got the real milk, and powdered milk was used for cooking and everything else.

Guess what folks? A Staff member has shared with me more than once this year, Milk is hard to get where he lives.

Suggestion:
Don't go to Walmart.
If you do, quit bitchin' about it, on public forums.

Better yet, if Staff makes Wal-Mart threads off limits, we won't have to worry about it and Anti's will have to find another forum to get posts about Gun Owners and WalMart.

Then with the free time folks will have, not having WM threads, they can write letters to legislators and other RKBA stuff.

ThrottleJockey
March 16, 2009, 04:05 AM
That's right! What he^ said.

ThrottleJockey
March 16, 2009, 04:09 AM
Did you know walmart built its empire selling ONLY products made in the USA? They eventually, after Sam stepped aside got in trouble for actually faking it and applying made in the usa labels to crap made in foreign sweat shops. This is when they just took over and ran nearly every mom and pop right outta business, and undermined our entire economy.

AirForceShooter
March 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
Did an ammo check at my Wally World last friday.
Empty shelves.
Was talking to the guy behind the counter and he told me he has no idea when more is coming but......

When it does come in there will be a limit of 2 boxes per customer in each caliber.

AFS

jorb
March 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
Each Wally World store gets a print out of every item on every incoming Walmart truck, Howsomeever, I believe ammo comes via a different delivery system. Therefore, employees probably don't know exactly when their shipment is coming in.

HarleyFixer
March 16, 2009, 08:57 AM

Where is this shop????

CRDNLPLT
March 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Stopped by wally world on Friday on my way home from work just to see what they had. 4 boxes of 45 ACP Blazer Brass for $15 a piece. I bought two boxes...wish now I bought all 4 but I don't even have a .45...yet.

That was about all they had of their usual good deal ammo.

MADDOG
March 16, 2009, 09:47 AM
Where is that shop with the pallets stacked a foot deep?

cratti
March 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
jorb

No they don't. I unloaded the trucks there for eight months before getting the transfer to Sporting Goods. We get a sheet with all the hazardous/flammable materials (matches, fireworks, flammable/corrosive chemicals) and time-sensitive/fragile things (namely, plants.)
Otherwise, we just get the number of cases of freight in the trailer, and any Site-to-Store items (special orders online) included. That said, getting a printout of ALL the items in EVERY truck would be rather difficult; my store handles between 1500 and 6000 cases of merchandise daily. I'm not trying to argue, just clarifying.

searcher451
March 16, 2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't seen any 9mm Winchester white box at the local WallyWorld in 10 weeks now, including again this morning. I was on the other side of the mountains for the weekend and stopped into a WallyWorld there, as well as at two gun shops, and no one had any 9mm of any stripe. All of these operations were short of .380, .32, and even .25 caliber ammo. All of them were adequately suplied with .40S&W, however.

rondog
March 16, 2009, 03:06 PM
Man, I can remember before the election, going into my local WalMart and they had so much WWB in all calibers, they had to set up a special table in the aisle to hold it all. It was unreal how much they had. Not anymore.

doorman
March 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
The local Wal-Mart that I visit in Houston seems to be perpetually out of pistol ammo. I usually take a stroll to the back bedroom, now called Daddy's playroom.(Has the Bicycle, Golf Clubs and most important the reloading table).

Yesterday being cold and rainy resulted in 200 rounds of .45 and 50 rounds of .270.

RU

gregormeister
March 16, 2009, 03:29 PM
Interesting, I was just at a Wal-mart this weekend, its an hour east of me but I was in that towns Army surplus store so I went to see what for 9mill ammo they had as wal-mart usually has the best prices around here on 9mill.

So anyhow I go into the sporting goods area and as usual noone is behind or near the counter, I notice not only do they not sell fire arms at this one but they had 26 boxes of various ammo total and no 9mil and the shelf behind me was sparsley filled with shotgun rounds. I proceeded to the nearest exit in digust and too vowed never to enter that wal-mart again.

I can't say I'll never enter another China-mart again though as I do buy alot of fishing lures there.

AllAmerican
March 16, 2009, 03:35 PM
I live in the sticks so I have to agree that the weekly trip to Wal Mart is "what you do".

I have about 6 Walmarts within a 40 minute driving distance. I managed to buy 400 rounds of WWB in 9mm this weekend along with a box of Federal 550 round .22 and a box of Remington 550 .22. I also bought a box of .270

Yes, I spent more than my $40 weekly ammo budget. The ammo is there. You just have to be there at the right time. The rush is slowing down. I went into one WalMart on Thursday and bought 2 boxes of WWB and guess what? the very next day I was back there with my wife and only 3 other boxes had been sold.

There was still plenty of 9mm there.

They didnt have any other hand gun ammo. Next week they will have 40 and no 9mm...

It is slowing down. I dont hate WalMart.

sarge83
March 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
"I stopped by a wal-mart saturday to see if they had anything... the cupboards were bare, apart from a couple boxes of .45 auto. Guy after me asks if they have any .45 ACP. Clerk says no.

I tell the guy there are 2 boxes on the bottom shelf. Clerk says "what's ACP mean?"

Me:"

Had a ditzy clerk at the front desk ask me about some M1 Carbine .30 once, handgun or rifle? I said Oh I use it to kill cows with. What? I shoot my cows with it. Blinking like a frog in a hail storm she is in the la-la land of blondness. My wife is about to die and jabs me in the side. Rifle honey. Still with a duh look she enters rifle.

Had one ask me about .12 gauge #4 shot this weekend. Rifle or handgun? Shotgun. Huh? But there is no Shotgun button...

rondog
March 16, 2009, 04:16 PM
FWIW - I was asking at my local WalMart about ordering something for me once, and they said they didn't do any product ordering from their store. All their inventory and products were controlled and ordered from the regional corporate office. They just unloaded whatever came in on the trucks and put it wherever Corporate told them to put it in the store.

The people in the store were essentially just monkeys with no control or influence over what was in the store.

Delford
March 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
I went in to the Wally World nearest my workplace to get some Mucinex or Coricidin. I figured I might as well check out sporting goods. Most ammo was not in but there were 4 or 5 WWB value packs of .45 auto. I bought one at $30. No .38 spcl or .380 but since I borrow those guns, no problem. Two weeks ago I had to call around to find even .45 but the WW nearer to my house had some - Blazer Brass for $14.97/50. Saw the same ammo for $23.50 at a pawn/gun shop. The nearest WW hasn't had any for months. When they do, the price hasn't gone up for which I am thankful. The range officer where I shot the Blazer Brass seemed surprised I'd found it that cheap.

Del

KBintheSLC
March 16, 2009, 04:48 PM
My local Wally-World doesn't even have any 22 bulk packs lately. It must be the end of the world or something.

1KPerDay
March 16, 2009, 05:03 PM
Had a ditzy clerk at the front desk ask me about some M1 Carbine .30 once, handgun or rifle?
The correct answer is always, "machine gun." :D

They have to ask handgun or rifle due to different age requirements for handgun ammo in some states. The front desk clerk doesn't know or care; she just has to check a box.

So... remember, "machine gun." LOL

bullseye308
March 16, 2009, 05:21 PM
I just got back from wally-mart and there were 6 boxes of wwb 9mm(now minus 2), lots of 22 bulk packs, a bunch of 30-06 and 270, and lots of different shotgun shells. There were other pistol rounds, but I got tunnel vision and grabbed 2 boxes of 9mm and left. Not trying to be greedy, I left the rest. :) Looked like 38 and 357 now that I think about it.

brin747
March 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Well, the hoarders have finally hit my local Wal Mart. Up until last week they had all the WWB and Blazer Brass 9mm one could ask for. I'd pick up a couple boxes here and there whenever in the area.

I just stopped in to pick up some .39Spl and the cupboards are bare. I spoke with the clerk and was told someone came in and bought all of the 9mm they had in one shot. 40+ boxes of BB and a dozen or so of WWB. They are even wiped out of .22LR and .38Spl.

When will this foolishness end?

22lr
March 16, 2009, 05:54 PM
Think of it as a good thing. I mean if sales stay through the roof then they will keep selling it. You just need good timing. Ive gone in before and the shelves were completely full, the next day (when I had money) they had 3 boxes of Blaser 9mm (that I can buy) and a few federal bulk packs of 22lr (which I bought). As long as sales stay that high, were in good shape.

frankd4
March 16, 2009, 05:56 PM
I was in Wally world in South Dade county standing next to a guy who had a whole pallet of ammo .223, 9mm and 45 the whole thing came out to 6,000 and change.
People are saying that the Government is buying all the Ammo as a means of gun control all kinds of crazy stuff, what is happening is simple 1. People are hording ammo out of fear and 2. Some people are making money of the panic it’s just that simple

Apachedriver
March 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
I just stopped in to pick up some .39Spl and the cupboards are bare. I spoke with the clerk and was told someone came in and bought all of the 9mm they had in one shot. 40+ boxes of BB and a dozen or so of WWB. They are even wiped out of .22LR and .38Spl.

I know what you mean...I haven't seen any .39Spl in like ever.:neener:

Sorry it's just past midnight here and I couldn't resist.

chuckusaret
March 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
Just left Wal Mart at 4:30. Bought a 100 rounds of 40 caliber for $18.95 per 50 that is up $6 per 50 from two weeks ago and up $28 per hundred form 2002

funkerbunny
March 16, 2009, 06:29 PM
Prices be darned I won't go back to walmart for firearms related stuff again, I'm willing to pay more for good service. There was two experiences that brought me to that decision.

Experience 1:
I was looking for a recoil pad for my M44 and decided to check Wally World to see what they had. I go back to the sporting goods section and find they have 3 different sizes of recoil pads and decide to ask one of the three people behind the counter which I should get. Then the following conversation ensues.

Me: Excuse me sir, Can you tell me which of these recoil pads would fit a Mosin Nagant M-44 rifle ?
First Clerk: Huh ? Uhhh, I don't know, let me get one of our other employee's who knows more about guns.
Me: alright
Second Clerk: So What did you need ?
Me: I was just wondering which of these recoil pads would fit a Mosin Nagant M44 rifle.
Second Clerk: (Stares at me Blankly and picks up the two boxes)
Me: I'm Guessing its one of these two but I can't really get a look at them and neither lists my rifle as a compatible rifle
Second Clerk: Well what kind of rifle is it?
Me: Its a Mosin Nagant M44
Second Clerk: No I mean who Manufactured it and what model is it ?
Me: Its a Mosin Nagant m44 Manufactured at the Izhevsk Arms Factory
Second Clerk: (Acting Very Annoyed) No, I mean Who made it, It was either Mossberg, Remington, Winchester or Marlin!
Me: Russia Made it, at the Izhevsk Arms Factory
Second Clerk: Well why don't you just buy one of them and see if it works I'm going on my break (and walked off)

The Second experience

I went in to pick up some 12g 00 buckshot and approached the counter to find a Young Lady and Older Gentleman are working it today (Thankfully not the same people as last time, or so I thought) . . That's when this conversation started

Clerk1: How May I help you ?
Me: Yes, I'd like 2 boxes of 12g 00 buckshot
Clerk1: (Blank look again) Ok, one moment (and he walks over to the .22 ammo and looks confused for about 5 minutes)
me: Uhm, Sir its shotgun ammunition
Clerk1: I KNOW THAT ! (And walks over to the pistol ammunition and continues to look frustrated and confused)
me:.......
Clerk1: Clerk2 could you help me find the shotgun ammunition for her ?
Clerk2: its right over there! She can get it herself (and points at the 100 round valpacks of 12g)
me: No, I want 12g 00 Buckshot Shotshells, they are right behind you ?
Clerk1: I'm going on break.
Clerk2: Ok, I'll finish up here and be out in a minute (then goes to the exact spot where Clerk1 was standing and looks confused)
Me: Its about 2 feet to your right, its in a green box that says 12g 2 3/4 in 00 buckshot.
Clerk2: I'm sorry we don't carry that kind of bullet
Me: Yes you do, its right there !
Clerk2: Oh, can you point it out again ?
Me: Right there (as I lean over the counter and contemplate the things I could have done during this time)
Clerk2: Oh there it is ! 2 boxes, wow Why do you need so much ?
Me: (now really annoyed) Well I just figured it takes so long to get it that I should stock up on one trip.
Clerk2: Oh! That makes Sense

God I hate wal mart

chuckusaret
March 16, 2009, 06:43 PM
I have a friend that is a store manager at Wal Mart, not a department manager. He saide they do order their own stock. All products are stocked on past sales and the computer calculates the stockage levels. Ammo is included. The corporate office can prorate items that are high demand but in short supply. He stated that these items would be divided equally based on size of the orders. I have enough ammo for each of my guns to last about two years if I only use 200 rounds per month per caliber on the range. Yes I have over 32 surplus ammo boxes of assorted ammo plus 5k of WWB in plastic storage bins. I'm ready for Obamanations "Strong Civilian Force" When they come to my house they will get my weapons bullets first

1KPerDay
March 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
well i just figured it takes so long to get it that i should stock up on one trip.
:d lol

chuckusaret
March 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
The gun stores are like all stores of today---Worry only about the profit line in their spread sheet. They care less about the customer and of course don't have any return customers like funkerbunny. There are five gun stores within five miles of my house and I refuse to use any of their services. I depend on the monthly gun shows for most of my gun supplies and the rest comes from on-line. I can still beat the gun store prices even with the added shipping costs.

SkiShoot
March 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
Local Wal Mart yesterday...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3360967303_800f52ba2e.jpg

searcher451
March 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
I scored three boxes of 9mm Winchester white box today, the last three boxes in the store after they receivced a shipment this morning. It was the first time in 10 weeks that the local WallyWorld had any in stock when I happened by, and I've been stopping in three or four times a week to check.

It wasn't much, but it was better than no 9mm at all, :)

paradox998
March 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
Walmart is the cheapest place to buy ammo when they have it. Check everytime you go in and if they have anything you can use, buy it then or go without!

brin747
March 16, 2009, 11:15 PM
I know what you mean...I haven't seen any .39Spl in like ever.

Sorry it's just past midnight here and I couldn't resist.

Apachedriver, darnit! Now I see the problem, I was asking for the wrong stuff!

Cannonball888
March 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
Three weeks ago at WallyWorld the shelves were nearly bare but I still scored 1 box of 9mm and 1 box of .45 Blazer Brass. Whoot! http://atypically.net/smilies/darkdance.gif

Duke of Doubt
March 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
Okay, I've figured out the Ammo Banic:

1. Cheap people with more time than money shop at Walmart rather than a gunstore to save a few pennies a round; so,

2. Walmart crowds gun stores out of ammo purchasing by their bulk purchase policies; so,

3. Gun stores buy ammo from Walmart until Walmart has practically no ammo reaching their shelves; so,

4. Normal people go to the gun store and pay a few pennies extra a round, and have no problem at all getting whatever ammo they want, in whatever quantity they want; but,

5. Cheap people still insist on going to Walmart, and find empty shelves, stupid salespersons and no ammo; so,

6. Cheap people complain on the internet about how there isn't any ammo, while normal people shrug and say, "It's a Whiskey Tango thing."

JTW Jr.
March 17, 2009, 12:06 AM
1. Cheap people with more time than money shop at Walmart rather than a gunstore to save a few pennies a round

almost , but not quite... Winchester white box 100 rnd 9mm at Walmart $20 , Gunshop here in town $38 ....hmm let me see that is 18 cents more per round. If the gun store had it for $24 / box I would gladly buy it there. But darn near double ? Nah...gotta pass on it at those prices.

Right now it is a buying panic , and supply / demand pricing is taking over.

Guns and more
March 17, 2009, 12:19 AM
If the gun stores were buying it from Wal*Mart, you would think I'd find WWB in my gunstore. No, they sell Blazer and Wolf at inflated prices. If you want the high quality stuff, you're talking American Eagle.

runrabbitrun
March 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
6. Cheap people complain on the internet about how there isn't any ammo, while normal people shrug and say, "It's a Whiskey Tango thing."

:D

I have to agree with that.
I had no problem buying 9 mm and 7.62 x 39 at the
local mom and pop hardware and gun store.
More than I'll ever need.
I mean if I expend 500 rounds of 7.62 and STILL didn't get any ammo
off the BG's, its time to cash it in and meet my maker. :uhoh:

I'm one of those people who would rather shop and support my small local
stores than the Big Boxes any day of the
week and will gladly pay a few extra dollars to do so.

Support your local mom and pops, like the NCO's in the military,
small biz owners are indeed the back bone of this country.

miconoakisland
March 17, 2009, 01:18 AM
Some people will complain about just about anything. Wal-Mart is NOT a gun store, they are NOT an electronics store, they are NOT a vacuum store, etc, etc.. The employees generally don't care when stuff comes in, they just stock stuff that comes in. They are generally not salespersons, just clerks.
Wal-Mart is there for pricing, not service/knowledge. Expect that! Gun shops are for service/knowledge, not prices. Expect that!
You choose.
Quit whining about your choice.

KevinAbbeyTech
March 17, 2009, 02:21 AM
I live in the country between two towns, both have walmarts.

One of these walmarts has a ammo guy who is a former Marine.
He knows a few things about guns, and here is the best part, if they don't have ammo that I want, he will tell me where the nearest walmart that has some is.

It is still not as good as the local gun store, but the local gun store never has any ammo anymore.

I was in the local gun store about a week ago, and a delivery came in while I was there, two 100 round cases of .223 (yes only two).

The owner of the store called a customer who had back ordered .223 and told him it was in, to which the customer replied "put it behind the counter, I'll be there in five minutes".

Cannonball888
March 17, 2009, 02:32 AM
I was in the local gun store about a week ago, and a delivery came in while I was there, two 100 round cases of .223 (yes only two).
I think you meant 1000 round cases. But if you really meant 100 then things are worse than I thought :uhoh:

cratti
March 17, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'd like to state that:
1) The "bulk ammo policy" varies from store to store.
2) As I previously stated, stock largely depends on warehouse availability.
3) Not all Wal-Mart associates are complete morons, and I'd greatly appreciate not being included in that generalization. In fact, if you purchased something atypical (for example, I sold a few boxes of .32 auto today) I'd most likely politely ask what kind of gun you have. If I was at all interested I might ask more questions. If not I'd politely nod and commence the transaction. If I'm uncertain if something will fit/work (with the exception of ammunition, obviously) I will generally suggest that either the customer go home and check (if it's something like not knowing the model of gun [cringe]) or buy one, try it, and keep the packaging and receipt. As long as it's not ammo or a gun itself, they can return it, no problem. They can even exchange for a different one (as I often suggest with scope rings or recoil pads.)

Say all you want about your experiences at Wal-Mart, but stupid customers seem to outnumber stupid associates. I had a guy try and make me, personally, pay for a new Ruger M77 after I sold him some scope rings and rather than pick up the bases for his gun, he took a power drill to the receiver. Yeah, us Wal-Mart associates sure am dumb.:rolleyes:

cratti
March 17, 2009, 02:41 AM
Actually, Cannonball, he mighta been referring to either the Remington/Winchester .223 20-packs, which are in fact shipped in cases of 100. Or the Federal 100-packs.

Mauserguy
March 17, 2009, 02:47 AM
I stopped at my local Walmart today. Like in SkiShoot's photo, the shelves were bare except for a couple of odd items. I bought the last box of 30-30.

The ammo counter at this store is manned by three older guys. The manager is kind of pissed off at everything, and is happy to tell you about it. Currently he is angery about the ammo backorders at corporate.

The second clerk if pretty knowledgeable, but very slow. He's a smart man, but he moves like a snail. He's a nice guy and is very curteous.

The third clerk is an older South African anti-gunner. Unlike most anti-gun folks, he actually has a reason not to like guns. Back in South Africa, a buddy of his got jumped by a gang in his car. He shot one and ran over two others. This clerk simply got fed up with crime and got out, and today doesn't like guns. I don't agree, but I will respect his opinion.

Anyway, the three clerks at my local Walmart ammo counter are A-Okay in my book, but they are still out of ammo.
Mauserguy

TRGRHPY
March 17, 2009, 02:47 AM
DOD: Hmm, I'd have to agree with you except for points 1-6 where you are completely out in left field.

1. The only "stores" buying WWB at walmart and reselling them are people selling at gun shows. I have yet to see WWB at a regular gun shop.

2. There is one store that offers decent ammo at a good (for todays prices) price. People want to buy it instead of paying 50%+ more at a gun shop.

3. When I go to the range I can shoot about 500 rounds of 9mm myself...more when shooting with friends. The per-box difference adds up. If it were only a couple of dollars it wouldn't be an issue, but it's significantly more than that.

4. Calling people "cheap" for wanting to buy ammo at a less-than-ridiculous cost is a misrepresentation of the truth...similar to pretending to be someone that you're not.

5. The availability of popular pistol rounds is very low or non-existent in many areas. Around here a shipment will not last more than a few hours, and that is not just walmart. Nobody has .380 for example. Except for few scattered boxes of expensive sd rounds, 9mm is about extinct as well. .45 is not as bad, but close. I don't shoot .40 but I haven't seen any on a shelf for a long time now, and I hear others complain who do shoot it.

6. When you shoot several hundred rounds of ammo in one range session, and you have to hunt to find a box or two and do this for weeks just to get enough for one afternoon, it gets frustrating regardless of the store.

7. Around here the mom-and-pop stores have zero ammo. I deal almost exclusively with about the smallest m&p store in the area, and their suppliers are telling them "good luck, get what you can where you can". Reloading supplies are just as bad, from what they tell me (I don't reload, yet).

Impureclient
March 17, 2009, 03:16 AM
Walmart has such a nice selection of ice cream. It takes up a whole aisle. I mean they don't have all the great brands
but they have some good flavors. A really great one is banana pudding from Winn Dixie. It's some brand called Premium
something or other. It was on sale 2 for $5 and I got that and mint chocolate chip. The Mint one was OK but, Sweetbay
has a brand that I can't remember the name that has some killer mint chocolate chip. Fiendly's brand might be what it is.

chuckusaret
March 17, 2009, 08:42 AM
1. Cheap people with more time than money shop at Wal-Mart rather than a gun store to save a few pennies a round; so......
I don't know, plus I don't care where you live but here in Florida the average gun store prices or not mere pennies more but 4 or 5 dollars more per 50 round boxes. I am retired and my income is above the average person’s income in my area, but I still shop where I get the best price. Note: I shoot at least 200 rounds thru each of the five SD/HD weapons I own at least monthly. Five bucks per 50 round box of ammo turns into serious money if you shoot as I do. In my case about $260 vs. $360. That’s not mere pennies. I don't buy anything at the local gun stores because people such as you allow the prices to continue to climb because you are not an informed shopper and pay the outrageous prices.

Duke of Doubt
March 17, 2009, 10:04 AM
chuckusaret: "I don't know, plus I don't care where you live ..."

Maine.

chuckusaret: "... but here in Florida the average gun store prices or not mere pennies more but 4 or 5 dollars more per 50 round boxes."

I said pennies per round, not pennies per box. But okay, let's talk in terms of a few dollars a box. Thats what, fifteen percent of the total cost of the ammo? That's like skimping on the tip at a restaurant to save money.

chuckusaret: "I am retired and my income is above the average person’s income in my area, but I still shop where I get the best price."

The lowest price evidently isn't the best price. For one thing, how much gasoline did you burn to get to Walmart each time you went and came home empty-handed? How long did you spend finding a parking space and in line at the registers? Just how enjoyable was your shopping experience among the mouth-breathers?

chuckusaret: "Note: I shoot at least 200 rounds thru each of the five SD/HD weapons I own at least monthly."

That's all?

chuckusaret: "Five bucks per 50 round box of ammo turns into serious money if you shoot as I do. In my case about $260 vs. $360. That’s not mere pennies."

It is, per round. And it is not too significant compared to the total cost of that ammo. Again, it's like complaining about the tip you have to leave at a nice restaurant, and eating at McDonald's to avoid it.

chuckusaret: "I don't buy anything at the local gun stores because people such as you allow the prices to continue to climb because you are not an informed shopper and pay the outrageous prices."

A cheap man is not an informed shopper. People like me are happy to buy our clothes at the clothing store rather than goodwill, and our food at the grocer rather than the food bank, and our ammo at the gun stores and pawn stores rather than a place like .. oh, I forgot; Walmart doesn't have ammo nowadays. And yes, "people like me" prefer to see prices climb so long as we can afford them -- smaller crowds at the range when the noisemaker crowd can't find a thousand rounds of Wolf to run through their full-auto ARs while I'm trying to teach my daughter how to hit tennis balls on the 200 yard berm. But go ahead and complain about how the only place you'll shop (and the worst place in the world to shop) doesn't have ammo. I stocked up just yesterday at my favorite pawn shop.

Duke of Doubt
March 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
TRGRHPY: "DOD: Hmm, I'd have to agree with you except for points 1-6 where you are completely out in left field."

Too cute.

"1. The only "stores" buying WWB at walmart and reselling them are people selling at gun shows. I have yet to see WWB at a regular gun shop."

I see it all the time, including yesterday.

"2. There is one store that offers decent ammo at a good (for todays prices) price. People want to buy it instead of paying 50%+ more at a gun shop."

It's fallacious to call the only price in town "50% more" than the price of nonexistent ammo. The "50% more" price IS the price, for now, obviously.

"3. When I go to the range I can shoot about 500 rounds of 9mm myself...more when shooting with friends. The per-box difference adds up. If it were only a couple of dollars it wouldn't be an issue, but it's significantly more than that."

Of course it adds up, but it is a small percentage of the total cost. If you can't afford the hobby, take up shooting pool.

"4. Calling people "cheap" for wanting to buy ammo at a less-than-ridiculous cost is a misrepresentation of the truth...similar to pretending to be someone that you're not."

I don't see the connection between identity theft and not insisting on finding ammo for the lowest price you've ever seen it sold for. But refusing to buy ammo other than for less than it sells for ordinarily is cheap. It's like spending your entire day going from grocery store to grocery store, buying only the items on clearance sale, or choosing your restaurant and your date's meal based on what's on special.

"5. The availability of popular pistol rounds is very low or non-existent in many areas. Around here a shipment will not last more than a few hours, and that is not just walmart. Nobody has .380 for example. Except for few scattered boxes of expensive sd rounds, 9mm is about extinct as well. .45 is not as bad, but close. I don't shoot .40 but I haven't seen any on a shelf for a long time now, and I hear others complain who do shoot it."

I was at my favorite pawn shop yesterday. They had plenty of everything, and could order whatever they might not have enough of. Tons of .380ACP, 9mm and .45ACP.

"6. When you shoot several hundred rounds of ammo in one range session, and you have to hunt to find a box or two and do this for weeks just to get enough for one afternoon, it gets frustrating regardless of the store."

I don't know where you live, but ammo around here is plentiful -- except at Walmart, apparently, not that I've been inside a Walmart for years.

"7. Around here the mom-and-pop stores have zero ammo. I deal almost exclusively with about the smallest m&p store in the area, and their suppliers are telling them "good luck, get what you can where you can". Reloading supplies are just as bad, from what they tell me (I don't reload, yet)."

Again, I don't know where "around here" is, but in Maine, there is no ammo shortage -- except at Walmart. Those complaining refuse to shop anywhere else, as they have convinced themselves (1) Walmart is cheaper (sometimes true) and (2) Cheaper is better (rarely true).

rbernie
March 17, 2009, 10:18 AM
Buy 500 rds and be happy:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

runrabbitrun
March 17, 2009, 10:42 AM
Not to try and tell anyone what to do...
But if rounds are scarce and more expensive now.
Wouldn't it be prudent to 'ration' for a little while,
until supplies and prices stabilize?

Also as pointed out, if one drives all over to the
15 Wallys in any given area to find no rounds at any of them.
Didn't they just waste those few precious dollars they
used to save when Wally had them? (on gas) :rolleyes:

TRGRHPY
March 17, 2009, 01:01 PM
DOD:

you're idea of that it's only a few pennies per round logic is gonna get you in trouble with the reloaders. If a few pennies per round isn't worth it, then explain them why they are wasting their time and money.

IIRC, WWB is produced for walmart, correct (I honestly don't remember)?. If you are seeing it at gun stores, then the ammunition is not non-existent as you claim, it is just being hoarded...and if it wasn't being sold at such a good price, then why would these gun stores that you claim to have seen selling the stuff, be purchasing it and selling it? (especially if there is no ammo shortage where you are); are they cheap as well?

I made reference to "around here" a couple of times in reference to the problem area that I was speaking about...aka: colorado springs. There is essentially one big gun store (Specialty Sports), the chain stores, and the m&p stores. The ammo comes in and sells immediately. So it really doesn't matter at that point if you are paying for ammo at a gun store or walmart, you'd better be there at the right time. And if that is the case, why not get the ammo at the cheapest, most convenient location?

WWB, is not the only brand tha walmart carries and I would gladly pay a bit more within reason, but the few cents-per round is rather misleading when a person is shooting 500 rounds (minimum) per range visit.

You are going waaaay overboard with your comparison when you start comparing people looking for reasonbly priced ammo and getting their clothes at the goodwill store. Overboard an unnecessary.

My comparison was not to that of id theft but more specifically to people who claim (on the net) to be something or someone that they are not.

The 50% more is not the price now, according to your logic, if nobody has any in stock more reliably than the other place that sells it cheaper...which is the case here in this area. Remember, CO is very pro-gun especially around here, so supplies are being eaten up as fast as can be shoveled into the area.

It is not a small percentage of the overall cost. It is a consumable item that you continuously have to pay for, and without it there is no sport. When you can save at least 5$ per 100 rounds, that savings pays for the other less-used consumables.

Having a budget is not a bad thing. People have their incomes and know what they can or can't afford, and to bash them for it and call them cheap is just wrong, and the philosophy that you used to make that determination is fundamentally flawed. Many people could barely afford gas 6 months ago, so should they have started walking to work...25 miles away? Every sport has people with varying degrees of economic status, which is why there are high-end and low-end products. Since shooting is a sport and a means of defense, you logic doesn't apply here. If you were talking about motorcycle racing, I might grant you that one, but we're talking about people purchasing ammo to go to the range and practice using their weapon which is something that we usually advocate.

Ammunitiontogo is a great place. I was able to save a bunch of money by purchasing the FGM .308 168gr a while back when it was $13-$16 per box (20rds) less expensive than the next place who had it in stock. Cheaper than dirt was only $3 more per box but they were out. The last time I checked, the price of 9mm was not worth ordering from them unless I planned to purchase other rounds as well. If I go shooting this weekend I may have to order from them just to ensure that I have rounds the next time I go out, since the availability around here is unreliable.

The ammo2go link you posted is a great example of just how much more the ammo is:
Walmart: WWB 114gr fmj = $20.99 per box of 100

Ammo2go = win 124 gr fmj = $18.95 per box of 50 ($17.90 more per 100 rounds)

The winchester is the closest comparing product. the Sellier and Bellot is $3 per box of 100 more, however if you are purchasing enough for 3-5 range sessions (~3,000 rounds) that would be around $100 difference (with shipping). $100 is not anything to scoff at, regardless of income status. I may have to go that route and make a bulk order.

rbernie
March 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
Wideners has 45ACP range ammo in stock:

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|829|842

jackstinson
March 17, 2009, 01:20 PM
IIRC, WWB is produced for walmart, correct (I honestly don't remember)?.
Winchester White Box? I see WWB at local gun shops all the time. Vance's has stacks of it at the checkout island...usually priced less than Walmart. The only ammo that I am certain is a "Walmart exclusive" is Federal 550-count bulk pack of .22LR hollow-points (not the 525 packs you can get most anywhere).

TRGRHPY
March 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
What's Vance's? If you can get ammo cheaper there than walmart, that is awesome. All I can tell you is that walmart is a national chain that everyone has heard of which is probably why that name gets mentioned (it is a commonly known entity).

I guess I was wrong about the wwb...I thought that the 114 gr fmj was theirs. If not, then I am really puzzled as to why there is such a hugedifference in price with ammo2go. Is it because it is classified as nato?

catspa
March 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
You guys are gonna think I'm crazy.

I have what I feel is a comfortable amount of ammunition for the guns I shoot, and I reload more when I want it. In non-panic times, I set by extra primers and powder when I come across a good deal, and I put it in protected storage so it'll keep until I use it.

But here's my question: Let's say you usually shoot 500 rounds at a range session, but because of panic buying/can't find my caliber/general state of the economy, you can only afford/obtain 400. Is there a way, perhaps by changing your training regimen somewhat, to make those 400 rounds into an adequate range session?

I came to pistol shooting later in life, but as a kid I roamed my grandpa's farm with a single-shot .22. When I would ask Pa for .22 shells, he'd give them to me one at a time. "Okay, when you shoot this one out, bring me back the empty and I'll give you another one." I can't tell you how many times I held down hard on a leaf or twig, ready to shoot, and then thought, Dang, it's a long walk back to the farmhouse, and let down the cocker and continued my expeditions.

I must have been about 8 when I bought my first whole box of .22 shells, they were Remingtons in a green box. I was in Coast to Coast Hardware with my dad, and I had a nickel left over. He said, "Are you gonna buy some candy with that nickel?" and I told him I was already saving up for my next box. On the way home I counted them about half a dozen times, and thought I was set for life. I couldn't imagine how long it would take to use them all up.

Anyway, since ammo is in short supply for some of you, I wonder if shooting fewer rounds slowly would help ease your pain, or shooting .22's in between your .45 strings or whatever. Or maybe pull out the old rifle and warm it up for a while. I don't pretend to know anything about your shooting style, but I remember a time when I couldn't imagine what having 500 rounds would be like...

Parker

1KPerDay
March 17, 2009, 02:21 PM
Cool story, catspa. :cool:

chuckusaret
March 17, 2009, 02:26 PM
Duke of Doubt

By watching my budget I also own a place at Eagle Lake in Maine just for fishing and hunting. Do you own a place in Florida just for sunning and fishing?

mgkdrgn
March 17, 2009, 06:19 PM
My visit to Wally World today to pick up some 30-30 for a lever gun I'm suppose to buy on Saturday. Bought the -only- box of 20 they had.

Lets see, ammo shortage ... mfg running 24/7 and still can't keep up with demand. WalMart is the -lowest payer- by far of any of their customers.

Hmmmm, I wonder who's truck gets loaded last?

TRGRHPY
March 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
I don't get to the range as often as I would like which is the reason that I tend to shoot more ammo when I am there. I would like to go at least once a month and spend less time there, but with kids, school (theirs and mine), weather, and life in general, I probably get out there on average about once every two months.

I also look at how many rounds I feel comfortable shooting that will keep my technique somewhat intact. I don't have a set number of rounds to shoot. One thing that I consider is that since I don't go out to movies and such, that this is also my entertainment, so the money spent serves several purposes.

Guns and more
March 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
I need a 12 step program.

I started this thread when I was frustrated with Wal*Mart.
So today what do I do? Drive to Wal*Mart and tell myself, "If they don't have any ammo, I'll just leave."
Lo and behold, I see 4 boxes of Federal .223!!! Hundred packs.
I buy them.
I also buy a couple of hundred rounds for a gun I don't own. (Yet) That's another story.
So I felt like I won the game today.
Make it stop.

Of course, no 9mm. or .45.

justindo
March 17, 2009, 09:18 PM
I buy most of my practice ammunition at Walmart and will continue to do so if they keep carrying it and they have it in stock. I stop by my local Walmarts on the way home from work so it’s not really out of the way and doesn’t cost much in extra gas. I may waste a little time, but I usually need to get something there anyway. Saving “pennies per round” may make me seem cheap and foolish, but when Walmart’s ammunition is about half the price of what local gun shops and online stores (when one figures in shipping) charge and you’re shooting a lot, “pennies” turn into thousands of dollars per year. Now that extra money isn’t going to change my life, but I’d prefer not to throw it away.

catspa
March 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
TRGRPHY:I don't get to the range as often as I would like which is the reason that I tend to shoot more ammo when I am there. I would like to go at least once a month and spend less time there, but with kids, school (theirs and mine), weather, and life in general, I probably get out there on average about once every two months.

I see your point, and that gives you more "ammo-acquiring" time in between range sessions than if you went more often.

I also look at how many rounds I feel comfortable shooting that will keep my technique somewhat intact. I don't have a set number of rounds to shoot. One thing that I consider is that since I don't go out to movies and such, that this is also my entertainment, so the money spent serves several purposes.

That's a good way of looking at it, and kinda what I do also. I find more entertainment in shooting than most usual forms.

Parker

TRGRHPY
March 18, 2009, 12:14 AM
I buy most of my practice ammunition at Walmart and will continue to do so if they keep carrying it and they have it in stock.

I think you brought something up that many of us failed to clarify is that the ammo purchased at walmart is indeed for practice use. If you already know that a particular SD round works in your firearm, why spend 3-4 times more to practice with it? A shift in POA/POI at SD ranges is not noticeable.

That's a good way of looking at it, and kinda what I do also. I find more entertainment in shooting than most usual forms.

I have always been a very competitive person so activities like shooting, where you can measure your results and try to "compete" against yourself and try to improve, really interest me. So on top of improving my technical ability, it keeps my little brain busy having fun too.

hometheaterman
March 18, 2009, 12:34 AM
Yeah I'm not paying extra for target rounds if I don't have to. I don't usually spend much extra running to check Wal-Mart. I just check it when I'm in there or sometimes make a trip for that but it's a few miles away and if they have ammo I want I get it. If not I just wait until later. I've made a few special trips for it to other Wal-Marts but not many. I refuse to pay $22-25 for a brick of .22 shells when my rifle loves the Winchester Xperts that are 500 so a brick for $13 at Wal-Mart.

I refuse to pay extra for the other ammo too. That price adds up.

For example, when 9mm is $20 for 100 at Wal-Mart and $15 for 50 at a gun store that's $10 more per 100 rounds. That add's up quickly. Next thing you know it's not a few dollars it's hundreds extra you have spend.

30-06 is the only kind I don't buy there and that's because they don't ever have what I like to shoot in stock and don't carry the Fusion stuff I like.

The .22 and shotgun shells I do get there. Well, sometimes I get buckshot from a gun store if Wal-mart doesn't have the kind I want.

Shalloe
March 18, 2009, 01:50 AM
Heads up for N. Colo folks, the Walmart on Lemay in north Fort Collins as a good amount of cci blazer brass 9mm 115 gr for 8.95 a box of 50. 5 limit per customer. I'm just mentioning it cuz I haven't seen any 9mm at Walmart in a few months from Fort Collins to Longmont.

nathan
March 18, 2009, 02:10 AM
Shotgun shells are plentiful. Get you a shotgun and ammo is no problem. THe ones that sell quick are 9 mm, 45s and .40s.

chuwee81
March 18, 2009, 03:20 AM
Well, i actually almost give up going to wally world for 9mm ammo since the shelves are always empty. they got plenty of 22's though. Anyway, wife needs to go to Sam's to pick up baby shower gifts and i got to return a red box DVD and of course, there's a wally world next door.

"Honey I'll see you inside, Bye!"

Went into wally world, return DVD and hmmm, what if they have some ammo today. They got 11 boxes of poor little WWB 9mm ammo who need a good home. Figure it'd cost the same from midway ( plus shipping). So ran outside, got a cart and loaded them all. The clerk gave me that look and said ," about to do some serious shooting huh?". I just told him that i've been looking for these for months and they're always out.

It's a box of 100 rds for 18.93. 11 boxes set me back around 225 bux with tax. Needless to say wife didn't know how much it cost for those ammo. I think I'm good now.

chuckusaret
March 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
As I have stated early on that I have enough ammo for range practice to last for at least two years shooting only my five SD and HD guns. I normally average about 200 rounds thru each of the five monthly. BUT, I still buy target ammo when I have the chance. I have at least 200 rounds on hand at all times of Federal Hyrdra Shok for each of my SD/HD weapons.

It's a box of 100 rds for 18.93. 11 boxes set me back around 225 bux with tax.

Here in Florida I just paid $38.15 for 100 rounds of .40 cal WWB FMJ. That is up $12.00 per box from about 2 weeks ago and up $28 per hundred from this time in 2002. The ammo manufacturers have raised their prices about 30%, according to The Wal Mart manager, between his last order and the present order.

SaxonPig
March 18, 2009, 09:44 AM
I wish people would quit whining about the cost of guns and ammo. Prices go up and prices go down. Deal with it. Screaming about boycotting one retail dealer or another is getting old.

rbernie
March 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
SP is right - it really is time for folks to find better things to post about.

chuckusaret
March 18, 2009, 10:21 AM
Since the ammo shortage I have changed my range shooting habits. I now only target practice with the weapons I use for SD/HD and follow a strict target session/sequence and have limited myself to 200 rounds or less per SD/HD weapon or about a thousand rounds per monthly range visit. The reduction is more about ammo availability than ammo cost, but costs are getting up there too. Two or three years ago a visit to the range was about $90 bucks, today that same amount of shooting for me would be about $300 bucks.

Duke of Doubt
March 18, 2009, 12:54 PM
chuckusaret: "By watching my budget I also own a place at Eagle Lake in Maine just for fishing and hunting. Do you own a place in Florida just for sunning and fishing?"

Nah; last I saw of Florida was the Mayport trailor park where as an infant I fought off six-inch cockroaches. I try not to leave Maine if I can help it. My occasional visits to family and friends in Chicago are sojourns in an unholy land.

Back to the ammo thing, I guess my initial diagnosis was one size fits all. But I don't understand how we can have plenty of ammo up here, where retail supply is slow and erratic and everyone shoots, yet ammo can be non-existent in a place like Florida, which has millions of people, acres and acres of shopping malls, more than one interstate, and where a lot of those people don't even know how to shoot. Usually it's Maine where you can't get stuff, not Florida.

rbernie
March 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
I visitied a local gunshop yesterday evening. They had dozens of boxes of WWB and such - looked like the WallyWorld of old except the prices were a bit higher.

Dunno why WallyWorld isn't keeping pace, but my local mom-n-pop shops seem to able to find plenty.

bratch
March 18, 2009, 01:36 PM
I visitied a local gunshop yesterday evening. They had dozens of boxes of WWB and such - looked like the WallyWorld of old except the prices were a bit higher.

Dunno why WallyWorld isn't keeping pace, but my local mom-n-pop shops seem to able to find plenty.

Could they be buying it form WalMart and reselling it at a higher price?

I've heard that there have been dealers at the local gunshows with lots of Blazer Brass and WWB. Rumor has it its upmarked WM merchandise.

hometheaterman
March 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
I went to Wal-Mart today and they had plenty of 9mm Winchester White Box ammo in the 100 round packs. Probably had 15 boxes or so. They also had several boxes of 25 and 32 ammo in the WWB. That's all that had in that. Rifle ammo still was scarce. I didn't look to see what they had in Blazer Brass. They had a bit of .22 ammo but not what I wanted. I wanted a box of the Winchester Xperts and they were sold out of those.

The last 3 times I've been in there they have had 9mm ammo. I went in I think last week on a Monday or so and they had probably 30-50 boxes of WWB 9mm ammo. I went back like Thursday and they had 3 or 4 left. Then I go in today and they had probably 15 or so. It doesn't seem to be as hard to find as it once was. I haven't seen much .45 recently though. 30-06 and calibers like that seem to be scarce also but I'm not sure they are even getting more of that in right now as it seems to just be pistol and .22 ammo that I see them getting more of in. .223 ammo seems to come in some too.

rbernie
March 18, 2009, 10:57 PM

Could happen, but in this case the local WallyWorld is perpetually out of ammo.

AllAmerican
March 18, 2009, 11:22 PM
Exactly, your local has bought it all up and thats why they have plenty.

hometheaterman
March 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
That's along the lines of what I was thinking too.

chuckusaret
March 19, 2009, 12:16 AM
DOD

We have more people in my county (1,366,451) then the total population of Maine
(1,317,207). The state of Florida has about 14,000,000 residents. Thats why it so hard to find ammo.

Duke of Doubt
March 19, 2009, 12:25 AM
chuckusaret: "We have more people in my county (1,366,451) then the total population of Maine (1,317,207). The state of Florida has about 14,000,000 residents. Thats why it so hard to find ammo."

Yeah, that's what I meant by Post 108, supra. But with fourteen million people, I would expect you have a few more shopping centers and stores than we have up here. I mean, you have to. There are entire makes of automobile that are not sold here. There is precisely one Mercedes dealership in the entire state, in Scarborough, and it stinks. Instead, those of us who own Mercedes are all on a first name basis with a wonderful older fellow down in Saco who fixes all of our cars. That's the sort of commercial retail climate you face in Maine as a consumer. Yet we are awash in ammunition, while a big, rich state like Florida has none. That honestly baffles me.

TRGRHPY
March 19, 2009, 02:49 AM

I've heard that there have been dealers at the local gunshows with lots of Blazer Brass and WWB. Rumor has it its upmarked WM merchandise.

I was just at walmart on the way home from school. The salesperson there was telling me that recently a man who owns a gun store somewhere out of town, came in and purchased $5,000 worth of ammo. I said ":what:" and he verified that what I heard him say was indeed correct.

WoofersInc
March 19, 2009, 02:35 PM
Got lucky at the Wal-mart by me last night. I will stop by on the way home from work now and then to check if they got anything in. They were unloading that days shipment. Picked up Blazer Brass 9mm for $8.97 a box. Took home 500 rounds of that and also 300 rounds of the Blazer Brass .40 The .40 was a little bit higher price at $12.87 a box.

DHJenkins
March 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe the ammo companies don't want to fill walmarts' deep-bulk-discount orders because the ammo costs more to make now.

hometheaterman
March 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well, I was saying I went to Wal-Mart last night and they had probably 15 boxes or so of WWB 9mm in stock. Well, I went back today and decided maybe I'd go get some. I had to go for something else anyway. Well, I get to the back and all of the 9mm ammo is sold out. That's crazy being as it was lunch time. Well maybe closer to 1 and they had probably 15 boxes or so last night. The last 3 times I've been in they have had 9mm ammo but they didn't today now that I wanted some. Seems like that's how it always works. Oh well.

sjmills6901
March 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Went to Wallymart and noticed a very large stack of 40 S&W behind the counter (29 boxes). Noticed it had a "normal price" of $32.00/box but wa marked down to $9 a box. I purchased all 29 boxes. What a deal!!

Templar223
March 19, 2009, 05:18 PM
You WalMart ammo seekers could visit some online sellers and buy the stuff by the case and save yourselves a bundle, as well as saving time, gasoline and aggravation.

John

1KPerDay
March 19, 2009, 05:34 PM
Point me to an online seller that has WWB 9mm (or similar) in stock for 10 bucks a box or less, shipped. I'd surely appreciate it.

AK103K
March 19, 2009, 06:05 PM
I normally buy case lots online, as it is usually cheaper. But as 1KPerDay stated, with things like Walmarts WWB 9mm, its pretty hard to beat the price, especially if your there for other things already.

hometheaterman
March 19, 2009, 06:24 PM
Exactly. Our Wal-Mart isn't far from the house and I just check out the sporting goods when I'm there for other stuff. I sometimes go just for that but not often. So I don't waste too much time or gas.

I've looked online and I've yet to find any ammo of either kind I shoot cheaper than Wal-Mart. I don't think I have even as cheap. Then you have to pay shipping ontop of that which usually is $7-20. So it ends up being cheaper to just get it at Wal-Mart. The ammo I shoot in my .22 is 500 round boxes for $13 at Wal-Mart and what I found online that had a different picture but the same description and I think it was just the older box in the picture and it was like $24 or 26 or something plus shipping for a box of 500.

The Federal Fusions for my 30-06 you can get online slightly cheaper than the gun store now but that's only since the gun store went up in price on this last shipment they got in. It was cheaper at the gun store before and and saved you shipping. Not to mention it's always out of stock online and not everyone can but $1000 of ammo at once.

WoofersInc
March 19, 2009, 07:17 PM
You WalMart ammo seekers could visit some online sellers and buy the stuff by the case and save yourselves a bundle, as well as saving time, gasoline and aggravation.

John

The Blazer Brass I just paid $8.97 a box for? Cheapest I found it online was $13.00 a box and that was before shipping. Not to mention most places didn't even have any in stock.

subierex
March 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
My Wally World has been completely bought out of pistol ammo for two months. I usually just buy a bulk box of .22lr every time I go in.

They had a decent amount of rifle ammo. Didn't look for shotgun.

chuckusaret
March 21, 2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by Post 108, supra. But with fourteen million people, I would expect you have a few more shopping centers and stores than we have up here. Comment #116. True, but most sportig goods stores have jacked their prices up to beyond what the average guy can afford. Gander was selling Remington 40 cal 250 round value box for $125, thats close to a 100% mark up from a few months past. Their greed has cost them a very good customer, Me. I spent on the average of at least $400 a month on ammo, fishing tackle, clothing etc. My family no longer shops at the store and will not be a return customer.

PTK
March 21, 2009, 06:04 AM
For what it's worth, I just stopped at a WalMart a few hours ago and picked up 75rd of Winchester 00 buck 12ga for $40 total. Plenty left on the shelf, too.

justindo
March 26, 2009, 01:40 PM
Everyone keeps posting about how cheap online ammunition is. From what I've seen and based on gun-deals.com, even junk ammo is more expensive than Walmart's WWB and Federal bulk packs and that's ignoring shipping, which is not insignificant. If I can indeed buy equivalent ammo (WWB, Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Speer Lawman, in order of preference) online for around the same price shipped as Walmart's, please show me where, as I need some.

zozo
April 20, 2009, 02:31 AM
Seriously, who's bogarting all the .22 ammo?

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to be shooting my .45, my .38, or my 9 mm anytime soon. I get that people are stockpiling ammo due to concerns about Obama, the economy, Armageddon, whatever.

But why are people buying up all the .22 ammo? It's not a defense round. I'm pretty sure anything that shoots a .22 is pretty low on the list of potential bans.

All I want to do is go plinking. Y'all can have all the bigger rounds. I'll take my chances without it. Would people calm down just a little so a guy can go have some fun with his .22?

Nubuck
April 20, 2009, 02:34 AM
.22's are the most abundant caliber around my way

Hammerhead6814
April 20, 2009, 02:35 AM
It's probably the only thing left on the shelves. Every week suppliers stop at Show-Me-Shooters, and now Show Me want's to have bi-weekly shipments of ammo. They can't keep anything on the walls unless they yank the price up, but then the regulars in there can't afford it.

It would take Obama, on TV, shooting an AR clone 100 times at paper targets and then saying "that was the most fun I've ever had" to end the fear.

So hopefully Bushmaster makes a donation to the White-House soon or else I'll have to start reloading 9x18's! :what:

BhmBill
April 20, 2009, 02:36 AM
Plinking is probably the largest piece of the ammo buyers pie.

They wanna plink and plink they will.

It's not hard to understand why people buy up lots of .22 especially now

zozo
April 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
Everyone's plinking a lot more often, apparently. It wasn't that long ago, I could walk into any walmart and get a federal brick of 550 or something like $9. Nowadays, when I ask the guy behind the counter, he just growls at me. Apparently, he gets asked about the ammo situation a lot.

Maybe people are shooting .22s because that's all anyone can afford anymore these days. I saw .45 ammo once a couple weeks ago, but I'd rather pay rent this month.

RP88
April 20, 2009, 02:43 AM
yea, bulks of winchester is all I can find. It works great, so whatever. I am sitting on four bricks. I want more. At least enough more to enjoy shooting until i can find other ammo again.

BhmBill
April 20, 2009, 02:43 AM
Pretty much zozo.

Can't afford $.50 per round 9mm or $1 per round .223, so go for the $.04 per round .22lr and blast away all day for $20.

Colorado Luckydog
April 20, 2009, 02:47 AM
I can't afford to shoot all of my other guns whenever I want. The ammo I have for them will be used as needed for hunting or whatever. The 22 LR ammo I was able to grab up, is for the kids can keep shooting. We can say or do whatever but the kids are the only thing that matters. With a ton of this ammo I can keep all the kids and grandkids shooting for cheap.

Evnldr
April 20, 2009, 03:06 AM
SHTF .. id rather carry 10K of .22 rather than 10K .45 LOL
I have 200 rounds of .22 and WMR .22 not a stock pile

bang_bang
April 20, 2009, 04:11 AM
I've got around 1,700 rounds in .22, enough to do me a while. I have cut back on my plinking and such, just until the shelves seem to be holding my Federal Bulk packs again.

GojuBrian
April 20, 2009, 04:17 AM
I go to buy 9mm and .40, but they hardly ever have any. Oh well, just give me five boxes of .22's please. :p

Dark Skies
April 20, 2009, 06:18 AM
I easily shoot 500 rounds of .22 in a week. I use CCI minimags and haven't experienced any trouble getting them over here.

Travis Bickle
April 20, 2009, 06:22 AM
Stockpiling .22 LR is common among survivalist types--even those who don't own guns chambered for it--because it's believed that it would have a high barter value in the event of a total economic collapse. This is because it's non-reloadable and .22 LR is probably the most common chambering in the country.

Rembrandt
April 20, 2009, 07:53 AM
Easier to find .22's than primers.....centerfires are getting a rest for awhile.

Nalapombu
April 20, 2009, 08:23 AM
I'm with ya zozo!!

This hoarding of ammo is really starting to cheese me off. I have pretty much accepted that people are going to snap up every single round of 9mm, 45ACP, .223 and other centerfire favorites. When it gets to the hoarding of 22 ammo, things are going just a bit too far.

Me and my buddies have a private range we set up and we shoot mostly cutomized 10/22 rifles and various 22 pistols. In a typical year, each of us will probably shoot 10-15K, maybe more. By this time I would've already had several Bulk Packs down range. So far this year I have shot a TOTAL of 2!

We usually buy the Remington Golden 550 round packs from Wally. For the last several weeks I have been unable to find any of it. I set out the other day to find some 22 bulk packs to go out and shoot for the first time in a month. I have 8 Wal-Marts within 25 miles of me and there was not a single bulk pack of ANY BRAND available at ANY of them! This was not the weekend, but last Wednesday when I done this. So the next morning I decided to visit all the gun shops to see if they had any. Out of 7 shops in 3 different states there was a grand total of 1 shop that had any Bulk Pack 22 ammo. This shop had the el cheapo 22 ammo, I mean bottom of the barrel stuff, that he had priced at $34 for 500. I was itching to shoot because I missed it, but I am not paying that kind of price for that ammo.

Another thing people need to remember is that the ammo makers are NOT churning it out as fast as they can. I was told this by 3 different gun shop owners that have been trying to buy ammo to stock their stores. It seems the ammo producers are worried about demand dropping in a few months and then having to lay off workers. I even read a news report the other day that Federal Ammo was laying off workers. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now.

So not only are the HOARDERS ruining our sport, but the ammo companies are trying their best to perpetuate the situation. They are prolonging this lack of ammo, by restricting production and keeping the demand HIGH and the people scared that ammo is not going to be available. In this BIZZARRO world that we now find ourselves in, the ammo companies have become just like the gas companies.

I guess I'll just have to fantasize about shooting for a while until the HOARDERS decide that 25,000 rounds of 22 ammo is enough.

BD

Samgotit
April 20, 2009, 08:45 AM
Zombie Squirrels

Also, it can't be reloaded.

jackstinson
April 20, 2009, 10:22 AM
* Soon all .22 bullets will be micro-engraved, serialized, their numbers and purchaser filed with the BATF.
* If there is no ammo, high-power high-capacity "AW" arms like the 10/22 & Tec-22 are useless.
* .22LR will be banned in two months.
* Bulk ammo will be banned in two months.
* Silver is for werewolves, Copper-plate is for zombies.
* More people die from .22's than any other cartridge.
* It must be true, I read it on the internet......
* D.....all of the above

In reality.....Panicked people will hoard anything, even if they don't need to. Folks need to calm down, take a deep breath, and just buy what they actually need. But that ain't gonna happen...the country is in full-tilt hoard mode. I hope they get out of this mode before my bricks are empty.

waterhouse
April 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to be shooting my .45, my .38, or my 9 mm anytime soon.

So have most shooters. Thus, they turn to their trusty .22s. Out of all the calibers, I doubt .22 is being stockpiled so much as it is being shot.

ojibweindian
April 20, 2009, 10:28 AM
But why are people buying up all the .22 ammo? It's not a defense round. I'm pretty sure anything that shoots a .22 is pretty low on the list of potential bans.

Because it's an excellent "subsistence" round. With it, I can get all manner of small game.

And, in a pinch, if the family were litterally starving, I could shoot ducks and geese floating on the water, or ambling around on the ground.

jackstinson
April 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
And, in a pinch, if the family were litterally starving, I could shoot ducks and geese floating on the water, or ambling around on the ground.
What? There aren't any rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, opossums, or deer around you? ;)

DRYHUMOR
April 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
I've only got about 4000 rounds of .22, definately not stockpiling or hoarding. I try to shoot 100 to 300, then buy 1000 to make up for it. :evil:

And I don't go looking for it, I just pick it up when I see it.

But seriously, there is a lot of versatility in the .22 round, been used to feed plenty of families through the years. Good for plinking, up close defense, and THR rimfire matches.

I think the big deal is, that ALL ammo is becoming short in supply. Although I do notice quite a bit of belted magnum still on the shelves. And at the old pre rush prices, it seem to be a bargain.

southwest1
April 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
After reading the replies to my (How much ammo is enough ?) thread. I have decided that in fact I do have enough 22LR and I will not purchase anymore until I get down to a couple of bricks. I have to tell you it will be weird to see those bricks on the shelf serenading me "buy me, buy me..this is your last chance..a gun without bullets is useless.." and walk the other way. But I will. So there is at least one less person you need to worry about out there hoarding.

aka108
April 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think 22 will be available for the forseable future. I think people are worried that all ammo will end up being taxed at a very high level. Consfigation thru taxation.

Nalapombu
April 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
22 Ammo IS being HOARDED just like 9mm, .223 and others.

At one of the shops I visited on my search I heard one guy telling his buddy about how he went into a WalMart and seen that they had some of the Remmy Golden 550 packs (like I was looking for) and he bought the last 7 boxes they had even though he already had 2,500 rounds at home in his safe. THAT'S HOARDING!!

Already having 2,500 rounds of 22 ammo at home and then ADDING 3,850 more when there are others that can't even find a single frigging box, is nothing but GREEDY and SELFISH. I was so irritated at hearing that, that I just about let him know what was on my mind and how he was damaging our sport.

Think about all of the Cub Scout troops, Boy Scout troops or others that were looking forward to being able to go out and learn about shooting a gun, maybe for the first time ever, and will have to stay home and make stuff out of glued together Popsicle sticks now. Or what about the guy that just wants to take his 2 sons and their friends out on the weekend for some fun plinking and target practice, he's outta luck ain't he? And it's been like this for over a month now.

I swear the gun rights crowd has just about as many people INSIDE that damage our movement than there are out there trying every day to destroy everything we love. You can't even get a great deal of them to get off their fat butts and VOTE, let alone do something that will build for the FUTURE. Even when they do vote, we have these ABSOLUTE MORONS that voted for Obama, Kerry and ALGORE and will then come to the forums and try to argue that they aren't going to do anything about our guns. I've seen numerous cars at gun shops and gun shows with OBAMA bumper stickers. I put these HOARDERS right in the same boat.

The 2nd Amendment advocates are like no other civil rights group in America. We have so many people that claim to be supporters and fighters for the cause, but in reality are a HUGE LIABILITY and damage the movement every time they are given the chance. That's why we have to constantly fight these battles for every little scrap we can get and defend every inch we gain against the CONSTANT threat of losing our freedoms. We can't afford to relax and enjoy what we have.
Do you think the homosexual rights groups, African American rights organizations, and others have this many people inside their ranks that are either too lazy to do anything useful or when they do manage to do something, it's damaging or selfish? They won't and don't put up with it. Too bad the gun rights groups can't learn a thing or 2 from others.

RANT MODE OFF.

BD

rogertc1
April 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
Darn right no one needs over 200 rounds of .22LR in a hord, the nerve of the bastards.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
I keep a supply for just times like these where you can't walk into most shops or big box store and buy all the 22 ammo you need for the week or month. If you want to call it hoarding, that's fine with me, but I call it a cache. I saw this whole situation coming last spring when prices started going up rapidly. I bought most of my cache at that time prior to the election.

jackstinson
April 20, 2009, 12:00 PM
I keep a supply for just times like these where you can't walk into most shops or big box store and buy all the 22 ammo you need for the week or month.
Having a few bricks on hand for tight times isn't hoarding. Heck, I shoot at least a brick every week normally.
Walking into Walmart and buying 10 bricks because it's every single brick they have on the shelf..and you already have 30 bricks at home....well, that might be hoarding.
Walking into Vance's and rolling a skid-load out the door....well...that PROBABLY IS hoarding. Although I've seen more than one LEO do that with shotgun shells.
Then there are the guys selling Walmart exclusive Federal 550-bulk packs on gunbroker 2 for $45! That's just not right.

dbarile
April 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
It's still plentiful in the shops I go to.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
I buy very few bulk packs of 22 ammo regardless of price. All that I have is for occasional family shoots where I often supply most of the ammo and for comparing this ammo to what most would consider better 22 ammo at the range. I just don't plink much anymore. It is still fun, but I live pretty far from family and it is not cost effective to make a 500 (or even 100) mile trip to go plinking.

If I cruise into Walmart and they have CCI or Federal Champion 510's, I'll buy a brick of each. I think you are seeing the impact of the spring shooters coming into play now. Many had no idea that 22 ammunition inventories in stores were low for the last 6-months. So the shortage continues, but the buyer is somewhat different from the year around buyers. You can still find 22 ammo at many gun shops. You pay more. But if you are looking exclusively at Walmart as your source, you may not find 22 ammo but occasionally.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
I have about 5000 rounds--but have been buying a brick here and there since last summer---just haven't got around to shooting much.

The situation now is the .22 is about all anybody can find or afford to shoot---so quit your whining.

huntsman
April 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
Or what about the guy that just wants to take his 2 sons and their friends out on the weekend for some fun plinking and target practice, he's outta luck ain't he?

Not if he was a prudent man and kept two brick at home for "just in case"

#shooter
April 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
All the wally worlds (3) near me don't have any of the bulk boxes of .22 ammo(500 rds). Neither does Mejiers, Gander Mt, or Dicks. I have seen .17 and .22mag but they are dwindling as well. There is no 9mm, 380, .45, 38spc, 357. There is plenty of rifle ammo, a 30/06 box of 20 for $60 :what: I know it's crazy. There seems to be plenty of shotgun shells as well.

hometheaterman
April 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
My guess from what I've read is that .22's are so cheap to shoot and the prices seem to always go up. So people figure they minus well buy them now and even if they don't shoot them until later they probably will have saved some money and ammo keeps going up.

.22's are just fun and cheap to shoot compared to bigger rifles and more people seem to be starting to use them for target practice.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 12:25 PM
Even as a kid, I kept a supply of 22LR ammo on hand. It always seemed like common sense to me to have on hand something that you get so much enjoyment out of. Family plinking outings usually ran about a brick or two max on a given day with most being a few hundred rounds per shooter.

I can't afford to shoot much centerfire ammo these days. I always felt it was expensive even when it was $10 per box of 50. Now you are looking at costs up to about a $1 per round for common stuff and 2x-3x that for premium ammo. Can't afford that. I can't blow $100's a day shooting at the range.

jcwit
April 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
Not if he was a prudent man and kept two brick at home for "just in case

Yup and summer camps coming for Boy Scouts and The 4-H kids have a program for the shooting sports.
With no Ammo, because some think they need 10,000-20,000 rounds of .22's.

But hey as the saying goes. I've got mine to he11 with you. Its capitalism.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
I don't agree with the "to hell with you" attitude. I share with family and a few others on occasion. But I don't share with folks that work and have the brains and means to buy what they need before getting the urge to go out an plink.

If you're hungry I'll feed you. But you need to appreciate it.

I still need more of the target grade 22 ammo. It gets used up faster than the cheap stuff for me.

MagnumDweeb
April 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm an NRA certified Pistol Instructor, so I use a lot of .22lr when I teach between twenty and fourty people a month the First Steps Pistol class. I'm required to have them shoot twenty-five rounds down-range. I've easily gone through a thousand rounds a month. Granted I ordre my 550 packs online and usually order eight at a time and wait till I'm down to my last two or three boxes before ordering another eight. Yes that is hoarding but I'm training new shooters to be good and responsible target shoots. If I get a two month back order I would have to raise my prices which are half that of most of the ranges around my way to treat the folks like cattle and don't really work to help turn them into new shooters.

Yes I have been ammo hoarding, yes have I largerly stopped it. I have a massive stash that is a list too long to type. I've stopped bulk ordering ammo, and I have a friend at a Walmart who picks up a total of ten boxes of ammo for me each month (9mm, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, the occassoinal 550rd box of .22lr), and when i have to go into a Walmart for the non-firearm goodies I usually don't buy more than three or four boxes of ammo, and tend to only buy what my friend hasn't got for me yet that I need for my classes. I have folks reupping for my classes to learn to shoot 9mm, .40, .38 Special and .357 Magnum, no one seems to want to bother with .45 ACP for some reason. And I get those rare few who want to get into 7.62x25(I have an FFL guy who gets me guns at only 10 percent above his wholesale and only charges me 12 bucks a transfer, I'm trying to orchestrate some 'group' buys yet). So I've been hoarding, sorry guys, but I've also been working like mad to create safe and responsible shooters who can make a 5.5 inch grouping at twenty yards in a wide variety of calibers.

cratti
April 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
Basically. People are buying everything they can. First it was centerfire rifle and pistol cartridges. Now that most of those are all gone, they moved on to shotgun shells. Now, the only shotgun ammo you can find around here is the game loads in 12 and 20ga. .410s are all but extinct because everyone "needs" them for their Taurus Judge, which as far as they're concerned is the ultimate in antipersonnel weapons.
So. Now it's .22. Same pattern as before. Cheap stuff first, then the more expensive. Magnums are all gone, and .17 sales are starting to pick up drastically.
That said... it's made my job suck. Really, really suck.
When someone catches wind of the fact that our stores start getting freight on the salesfloor around a certain time, they start waiting at the counter to see what's coming in, demanding that associates search the pallets to see what ammunition (if any) came in that night. People see this and begin following suit. Just the other day I had five people at my counter at an undisclosed time of night, grabbing up whatever pistol ammo I had just gotten in by the case, before it even touches the shelves.

It really disgusts me.

ilbob
April 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Already having 2,500 rounds of 22 ammo at home and then ADDING 3,850 more when there are others that can't even find a single frigging box, is nothing but GREEDY and SELFISH. I was so irritated at hearing that, that I just about let him know what was on my mind and how he was damaging our sport.
Not that big of a hoard. IMO, it is not much of a hoard until it gets close to 6 figures.

IMO, the stocking up response is a natural thing. There is something weird going on in the world right now and the natural response is to buy guns and ammo. Thats not really a bad thing.

It is still quite possible to get all the ammo you want, in case lots, delivered to your front door if you are willing to place an order and wait a few weeks or a month for it to show up.

The nearest WalMart to me had about 25 boxes of the 550 rd federal value packs on the shelf yesterday. Not much else though. The clerk who sold me a box said they got in 2 skid loads of ammo on Saturday and most of it was sold within 4 hours.

Justin
April 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
Two words:

Steel Challenge

Ratshooter
April 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have about 27,000 rounds of 22 ammo. I have 4500 rounds of 7.62x39 and 5000 rounds of .223. I have 25,000 primers. I bought all of this and more before I ever even heard the name Obama.

I learned my lesson in 1994 with the other primer shortage. I said then I wouldn't be caught short again and I haven't. I suppose one day the demand will slow down and the shelves will fill up.

I did buy two bricks of federal bulk while I was in austin tx a couple of weeks ago. They had around 30 bulk packs so I got two. Then I went to rimfirecentral and posted a thread telling anyone who needed ammo where some could be found.

Now I hope you don't call me a hoarder. I am not. I just buy a little at a time and put it back. I have never bought all that anyone had in stock and have never sold a single round at a profit. I don't get to go shoot that often but when I do go I shoot a large amount. I shoot my 22s the most.

huntsman
April 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
Yup and summer camps coming for Boy Scouts and The 4-H kids have a program for the shooting sports.
With no Ammo, because some think they need 10,000-20,000 rounds of .22's.

But hey as the saying goes. I've got mine to he11 with you. Its capitalism.

This is a different issue than with an individual buying,

I would hope organizations who buy from the same place could get theirs ahead of the public, but then maybe not because I've read stories about LEO departments having trouble buying ammo and I would think they would have precedence over the public when ordering ammo.

beaucoup ammo
April 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
Maybe we can trade ammo at gun shows! I've got 650 rounds of quality 9MM I'd trade for an equal amount of .38Spcl and .357.

ilbob
April 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
When someone catches wind of the fact that our stores start getting freight on the salesfloor around a certain time, they start waiting at the counter to see what's coming in, demanding that associates search the pallets to see what ammunition (if any) came in that night. People see this and begin following suit. Just the other day I had five people at my counter at an undisclosed time of night, grabbing up whatever pistol ammo I had just gotten in by the case, before it even touches the shelves.

It really disgusts me.
You ought to be thrilled. Think of all the work that you don't have to do stocking the shelves.

Your store is there to sell stuff. That people want to buy stuff from your store is a good thing for your store. And for your continued employment.

My wife bought 4 cans of corned beef and 6 or 8 cans of spam at WalMart yesterday. Do you think I am evil for hoarding spam and corned beef?

Incidentally, even though I am not especially low on 22LR, I bought a bulk pack while I was there. Not a big start on my hoard, and I did leave about 25 boxes on the shelf for others. Not much else on the ammo shelf besides the boxes of federal 22LR bulk packs though.

I have been posting my ammo hunting experiences of late on AR15 in the Illinois forum, and other places from time to time. Just to help out others who are hoard challanged.

waterhouse
April 20, 2009, 02:09 PM
Me and my buddies have a private range we set up and we shoot mostly customized 10/22 rifles and various 22 pistols. In a typical year, each of us will probably shoot 10-15K, maybe more.

So, you and your buddies each shoot 10-15K rounds of .22 a year. You, and several other people that you know, each go through about 1,000 rounds of .22 each month.

I've got news for you. You aren't alone. Lots of people shoot that much and more, and even more so now that centerfire ammo prices have increased.

Apparently, by your numbers, someone who stocks up for the next few months of range trips is in the same boat as someone who voted for people who want to take our guns away.

Out of curiosity, how many strangers with guns do you allow to shoot at your private range that you set up. Is it open to all shooters?

Deanimator
April 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
1. It's kind of hard to reload.
2. It's the cheapest ammunition you can get.

Nalapombu
April 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
So it's not hoarding till you get to 100,000 rounds?

Umm...yeah OK.

Exactly what is the weird thing that's going on right now?

Another part of the problem is that a large number of people that are hoarding ammo and buying 15 AR receivers, 75 or 100 AR mags, 50 Hi Cap Glock mags and the like is that they are HOPING something happens so that they can come back and sell what they HOARDED away for DOUBLE and TRIPLE their investment.

Watch and see, gun owners and 2nd Amendment supporters are going to PAY dearly for this behavior in the future.

So go right ahead and keep on buyin'. Hell if ya only got 35,000 rounds of 22LR, 15,000 rounds of 9mm and 45ACP and 25,000 rounds of .223, it's not hoarding until you get to 100,000 of each!

BD

Duke of Doubt
April 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
What the hoarders never realized is that the Ammo Tax will be not a tax on sales, but on holdings. $1 a round for every round in your possesion, every year ...

blkbrd666
April 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
Geez!!! Why don't ya'll quit jonesing and pick up a fishing pole and go fishing? Do some deep breathing down by the lake and calm down a bit. :)

Phydeaux642
April 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
Why are people stockpiling .22 ammo?

Zombie squirrels.:neener:

mordechaianiliewicz
April 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
This isn't about hoarding ammo. This is the fact that if you want to shoot centerfire ammo, you are looking at spending tremendous amounts of money to do so. Back when I could buy a box of brass cased 9mm for $7.50 and steel cased WOLF for $5.65 I shot literally every week.

Now, I shoot maybe once every month. I didn't used to own a .22 pistol, only a .22 rifle, and now I have one on layaway about to get picked up next week. I also have about 2500 rounds of .22LR.... not because I'm trying to stock up for civil war, TEOTWAWKI, or Zombie bikers from Mars (I wouldn't be stocking up .22 for those bikers anyway, and 2500 rounds just isn't much).

I'm doing it because I like to shoot. I can go through a .22 bulk pack in a couple of hours or more. Train a new shooter (which I've been trying to get as many people into shooting as possible. We need all the allies we can get). It's cheap, and the recoil is virtually non-existent.

I doubt .22LR bulk buys are because people want to stock up on ammo as much as they've already stocked up on 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .308, etc. and want to practice to keep their skills up.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
100,000 rounds of 22LR is a lot of ammo. I doubt if I have shot half that amount in my entire life. So.... I believe I don't shoot enough! Maybe a trip to the range this week is in order!

nitetrane98
April 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm in the market for a good bolt action single shot .22 rifle. I burn ammo up way too fast in the auto. I think it will actually help my marksmanship too.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2009, 03:06 PM
The suggestions for moderate priced new bolt action rifles will likely include: CZ 452 American or Savage Mark II. You can't go wrong with either. Then you can build up your cache of 22 ammo.

KarenTOC
April 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
I try to buy some .22lr whenever I see it. I used to buy 1 box of Federal 550 about every 2 weeks to keep ahead of what I shoot. For the past couple of months the shelves have been bare. I walked in the other day and - miracle of miracles - they had TONS!! Well, a dozen, maybe. So I bought four (leaving 3 boxes of same on the shelf, plus at least an equal amount of Remmington). I bought more than I usually do at one time, but less than I would have over the course of the past few months had it been available. That huge purchase, along with fewer range visits, leaves me with a "stockpile" of 10 boxes.

I'm so ashamed.

:rolleyes:

KBintheSLC
April 20, 2009, 04:20 PM

Two things wrong here... the first is that a .22 is not a defensive round. Thats just not true. Inside of 100 yards, the .22 can be very deadly. Second, that .22's are not exposed to potential bans... wrong again. They want to ban anything with detachable mags, pistol, grips, barrel threads, etc. It doesn't matter what caliber.

The .22 is perhaps the most diverse caliber around. I assume that folks are stockpiling it because it would make a great companion during bad times. Not to mention that you can carry thousands of rounds of the stuff with room for other supplies. Also, with centerfire ammo costing what it does today, folks are shooting more .22's... remember the Prius in June 2008?

Blackbeard
April 20, 2009, 05:06 PM
I bought a brick of Blazer .22 today, just because that was what was in stock. I have been shooting .22s and my stocks have gotten a little light. I wouldn't be surprised if people are hoarding the centerfire stuff as a hedge against Obama, and shooting all .22s instead.

jbauch357
April 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've got multiple guns in .22lr and can easily go through 500rds in a sitting. When 550rd bricks were still $10 I picked up 10 of them and haven't had to buy any for a long time now. Also .22lr makes a great round for quietly taking small game if need be.

c5_nc
April 20, 2009, 05:39 PM
I've bought around 6000 rounds so far this year... bought around 10 22lr rifles and pistols over the same time. I usually keep 1000rds ammo per gun, so on 22lr I'm pretty short. The 550 Remington Goldens are in stock all the time. The Winchester 333s some, I saw cases and cases the other day, I bought 2 $9.99 boxs. The Federal Automatch, bought a couple of $14.47 packs also (cases+ available). Its the $1.47 Federal 50 Blue box and the $13.47 Federal Red box that are difficult to come by and my favorite. I've seen them in 2 times the last 4-5 months in quanity. I made the mistake of only buying 5 boxes each time.

PTK
April 20, 2009, 05:51 PM
Since I seem to be constantly training new shooters due to politics, economy, etc., I figured .22lr would be the best way to go for both pistol and rifle. So, about a year ago, I started buying at least 1k .22lr each week for less than $20. I'm fairly set, now... :)

MT GUNNY
April 20, 2009, 06:02 PM
To the OP. You answered your ? in the very ? stated.

Quote: I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to be shooting my .45, my .38, or my 9 mm anytime soon.

The very Fact that those Rounds listed are Harder to get, Makes those who got them start to conserve them. What a better way to get some shooting in than using the .22 round? Hence Buying more rounds of .22!!

huntsman
April 20, 2009, 08:26 PM
My wife bought 4 cans of corned beef and 6 or 8 cans of spam at WalMart yesterday. Do you think I am evil for hoarding spam and corned beef?

No you can buy all that stuff you want; in fact you can buy my share also.

RP88
April 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
when I get paid I'm gonna fork over 100 bucks for another 2500-3000 .22 rounds just so I'll be sitting handily on enough ammo to (hopefully) last me long enough for supply to catch up and prices to dip back to semi-affordable for me.

Seriously, buy alot of it. It's funner, cheaper, and you can still find it.

cratti
April 20, 2009, 08:38 PM
You ought to be thrilled. Think of all the work that you don't have to do stocking the shelves.

Your store is there to sell stuff. That people want to buy stuff from your store is a good thing for your store. And for your continued employment.

Last I checked, Spam and corned beef aren't in high demand. Even if you did, it's not the same as standing around waiting for things to become available and purchasing it as soon as you've confirmed its existence.
Maybe I've got it all wrong, wishing I could sell to as many as customers as possible rather than letting ONE customer buy it all. My store manager had the same mentality as you. So, allow me to pose this differently.
This is a hypothetical question. Don't discredit the scenario by bringing in real-life facts, such as whatever ammo you have available, or that your wife may already have a CHL.
Suppose your wife wanted to get a concealed carry permit. But she needed more practice, as well as enough ammo to actually take the test. You go to Wal-Mart, Big 5, and Academy, and they all say the same thing, essentially.
"No. We don't have any. One customer bought everything we have."
Would this frustrate you?
I spend over 40 hours a week watching customers try to find ammo. I feel their pain. THAT'S why I don't like the behavior I described.

Average Joe
April 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
Its the only thing i can afford to shoot anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Shortage merged threads, aka UberUltraMasterAmmoThreadOfPower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!