45 LC blanks did anyone ever make any ?

PDA

shooting time
December 30, 2007, 10:24 PM
I am trying to make some 45 long colt blanks.I can't seem to find a star crimping die or any loading data for them.I need them for cowboy mounted shooting and the ones they sell cost 18.00 per box which gets expensive for practice.Anyone have any info ?

If you enjoyed reading about "45 LC blanks did anyone ever make any ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mk VII
December 31, 2007, 07:59 AM
the CH Tool Co sell crimpers and blank forming dies http://www.ch4d.com/
I would suggest starting with a small charge of Bullseye and see how much it opens the crimp up. It may be difficult to get satisfactory results for revolvers and BP might be the only answer

shooting time
December 31, 2007, 03:20 PM
I was looking to use black powder .that is what is in the blanks they sell .They use black powder so that it will come out burning and bust the balloon you are shooting at off the horse

shooting time
December 31, 2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info thats what i need from ch
the picture shows what i mean why you need black powder.

RustyFN
December 31, 2007, 04:48 PM
ST that's too cool. That looks like a lot of fun.
Rusty

robctwo
December 31, 2007, 10:56 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the Pyrodex covered with a 410 cardboard spacer and sealed with hot glue. I'm probably shooting off a few tonight.

rcmodel
December 31, 2007, 11:09 PM
Forget the star-crimp!
Really forget the smokeless powders like Bullseye.
DO NOT even try to make blanks with Smokeless powder.

None of it will burn fast enough, and unlike black powder, too much smokeless powder & enough pressure to make a blank pop combined, is a very bad thing!

Use a case full of black powder and over-powder card wad.

Seal it with white-glue or hot glue.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Jim Watson
December 31, 2007, 11:49 PM
Found this for you at CAS City (NOT my doing, I just looked it up):

Clean and size the brass. Then drill out the flash hole to an 1/8" and prime with LP primer. Scoop the case through a pan of 2F black powder. Tap the case to settle the powder a little, then take a dowel and tamp down the powder to lightly compress. Generally leaves 1/4" of free case.
I have prepared some .45 card wads that I punch out from milk cartons (I make the lady of the house only buy milk in the waxed paper cartons ). Take the same dowel press the card wad into the case, firmly against the powder. Then a drop or two of Elmer's white glue onto the card, stick my little finger in the case mouth to push the glue out to the edges of the card and against the sides of the case! That's it, one blank cartridge! Takes twice as long to write/tell about than to do; maybe four times as long.
Good luck.
Oh yea, you can be scientific about it and use a Lee dipper to make sure all yer cases end up with a better approximation of the same amount of powder. But, since there ain't any recoil, nothing out the barrel but a little card wad, why?
One safety tip; always point the bbl up to the sky or down to the ground. Even the little card would be unwanted in someone's eye, or...

Hardtarget
January 1, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have a book..."Beyond The Wild Bunch" by Gary Kieft. I got it through Dillon Blue Press. Its about cowboy action shooting. So I checked the chapter on the mounted shooting contest. They mention The load for the blank is black powder with a load of corncob media. This is to get a reliable way to burst the baloon. The article did not give volume of either component, nor did it mention how it was sealed.

I have never tried to make a blank like this so I cannot offer any first hane comments.

Good luck.

Mark.

if you want info or to order this book contact:
Dillon Precision Products, Inc.
8009 E. Dillon's Way
Scottsdale,AZ 85260
(800) 223-4570

who else would have that phone number?

robctwo
January 1, 2008, 03:53 AM
I have used some smokeless powder with cream of wheat to fill the case. The card stock and hot glue to finish. easier to clean up. Not as much smoke or flash. I used what would be considered a normal load for 45LC.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 LC blanks did anyone ever make any ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!