Ruger SR9 comming apart

PDA

tblt
December 31, 2007, 07:59 PM
I was going to buy a Ruger SR9 but the guy at the gun shop said the one they had went back to Ruger because it fell apart.He said he also herd of another one falling apart at a range.Anyone else herd of this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9 comming apart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
December 31, 2007, 10:53 PM
:scrutiny:

While I don't own one and thus have no "dog in the fight," I think I would want some more specifics and sources.

skinewmexico
January 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
Classic - the guy at the gun shop said................

DENALI
January 1, 2008, 12:48 AM
I don't know what your game is tblt but you're posting all over the place about which pistol is what and help me make my mind up about this and that, why don't you try following your original thread'(s). you've recieved more than good advice in my opinion on all your different posting's................

kingpin008
January 1, 2008, 04:27 AM
I don't know what your game is tblt but you're posting all over the place about which pistol is what and help me make my mind up about this and that, why don't you try following your original thread'(s). you've recieved more than good advice in my opinion on all your different posting's................

So what, because he's asked a few similar questions he's not allowed to ask any more?

Seriously, what's the problem? Maybe the other threads didn't answer his question, or maybe, just maybe, he had some different questions.

My advice - lighten up. He's new, and trying to learn. If you don't like the posts, keep scrolling and read something else. THR is here for people to learn things, not to be told how many posts they can make on what subjects.

Neophyte1
January 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
kingpin008: Sir; folks like you are why I stay with 'THR'

NG VI
January 1, 2008, 10:50 AM
agreed! THR is great!

SouthpawShootr
January 1, 2008, 10:56 AM
By all means, poke around on the 'net forums (especially Ruger dedicated) and see if anybody has reported this. I certainly haven't read anything about anything similar happening. I think this guy is either full of it or the failure was an isolated case (if he was telling the truth). Frankly, I ignore virtually all of what gunshop employees tell me. I've found that they generally know less about what they're selling than I do and they make up things to fill in the holes in their knowledge or support their own particular prejudices. Even if this guy's accounts are true, Ruger will take care of it quickly. No manufacturer wants unhappy customers posting all over the net about how their brand new toy did............whatever.

nelson133
January 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
Either he didn't have one or he wanted to sell something with a higher profit margin.

possum
January 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
always my favorite!

JP from Phoenix
January 1, 2008, 12:49 PM

comment followed by you should buy a glock instead

Magnumite
January 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
The expression "falling apart" sounds more like a judgemental conclusion than something literally happening - especially with a Ruger product. I'd really check into this and ask him specifically what is happening when it "falls apart".

Call Ruger and tell them you are interested in purchasing the SR 9 pistol. Then tell them what you were told and ask them what their warranty repairs have been for that model. Then you'll get a better picture of what is happening.

1911 guy
January 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't own any Ruger firearms, but I've had experience with them in the past. If a Ruger "fell apart" due to anything short of run over by a train, I'd be surprised. Say what you want about their ergonomics, they are sturdy.

kokapelli
January 1, 2008, 01:45 PM
I haven't had my SR9 very long, but I can tell you that it has been 100% from the first shot and IMO is well made.

http://members.cox.net/cactus_jack/SR9.jpg

skinewmexico
January 1, 2008, 01:52 PM

comment followed by you should buy a glock instead

Or "the only thing worth carrying is a 1911"

Surefire
January 1, 2008, 01:55 PM
Does the SR9 use a slide stop in the design?

I HAVE had a Ruger P97 have its slide stop work partially out during firing.

This is the only thing I could think of that he may be referring to?

Surefire
January 1, 2008, 01:58 PM
[please delete]

DDM
January 1, 2008, 02:03 PM
TBLT? What did the guy at the gunshop suggest that you buy instead of the ruger?

kokapelli
January 1, 2008, 02:05 PM
It has a take down pin, if that's what you're referring to and I can't see that ever working out. It has kind of springed tab that pops into a cutout that feels very secure to me.

I have done some rapid fire with mine and if the pin was ever going to work out, it would have been then.

bofe954
January 1, 2008, 02:09 PM
Falling apart would be a little vague for me. If they don't know any more details than that, they don't know it happened. What does "fell apart" mean? The grip fell off? The slide fell off?

That being said it isn't always the greatest idea to buy the first run of anything. Waiting a little won't hurt.

No matter what, if the gun had some issue, ruger would just fix/update it for you.

DENALI
January 1, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not one to spoil a party but Tblt has 6 seperate threads going as I type this out all pertaining to basiclly the same question so as much as you cherish the QUEST how about a little practicality....................

RPCVYemen
January 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
I was going to buy a Ruger SR9 but the guy at the gun shop said the one they had went back to Ruger because it fell apart.He said he also herd of another one falling apart at a range.Anyone else herd of this problem?

I would be very skeptical of this claim. Every manufacturer has some manufacturing failures. But I have to say that Ruger makes extremely solid weapons - perhaps too solid. The folks who don't like Rugers claim that they are "chunky" or "clunky" - but always solid. People object to the weight and styling of Rugers, but almost never to the construction.

Of course, the SR9 is a new model for Ruger, and anything can happen with a new model. But I would bet that Ruger would produce a pretty solid model. In whatever they make.

Mike

kokapelli
January 1, 2008, 02:50 PM
I would be very skeptical of this claim. Every manufacturer has some manufacturing failures. But I have to say that Ruger makes extremely solid weapons - perhaps too solid. The folks who don't like Rugers claim that they are "chunky" or "clunky" - but always solid. People object to the weight and styling of Rugers, but almost never to the construction.

Of course, the SR9 is a new model for Ruger, and anything can happen with a new model. But I would bet that Ruger would produce a pretty solid model. In whatever they make.

Mike
I purchased a chunky and clunky Ruger (I think it was a P85) about 12 or 13 years ago. It was a pretty good shooting pistol, but I have small hands and had to shift my hand around in order to reach the trigger for the first shot, which was double action. This was not an ideal situation and I eventually sold that pistol.

This SR9 is perfect for my small hands and the pistol is not nearly as "chunky" or "clunky" as the P85 was.
The SR9 has a reversible, rubber back-strap and I easily reach the trigger with either the swelled side or flat side facing out.

The trigger is excellent, but Ruger warns that dry firing the pistol without the magazine in place will cause the trigger to become gritty! My SR9 came directly from Davidsons to the dealer and was not dry fired at all.

Cost was $391.99 + $12.95 shipping and IMO this a really good pistol, especially at that price.

kingpin008
January 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not one to spoil a party but Tblt has 6 seperate threads going as I type this out all pertaining to basiclly the same question so as much as you cherish the QUEST how about a little practicality....................

I've checked to see what threads he has open and what they deal with, and my question remains - what business is it of yours what he's posting about? If it truly bothers you so much, skip them or put him on ignore. THR is a place to come and ask questions - even lots of them. Practicality has nothing to do with it.

In short - chill out. Nobody else seems bothered, and nobody's forcing you to read or comment on any of the posts here.

DENALI
January 1, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hey there Kingpin008 I say BS. Yesterday I posted to him about this same pistol and he's gonna run out and buy it cause it's the best thing since sliced bread, today it's falling to pieces on the store shelves? He has 7-threads going 2 of which are IDENTICAL.....BS......................:neener:

huff
January 1, 2008, 03:43 PM
tblt
Go to guns & ammo and read the SR9 atricle

DMK
January 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
Classic - the guy at the gun shop said................I agree. I think we've all heard some read duesies at gunstores and gunshows. Most of the time, I just listen and smile. I believe nothing until I've substantiated it.

That all said, Ruger makes very reliable firearms. Sure they have a lemon once in a while, everyone does, but I doubt very much that SR9s are falling apart.

I'm no huge fan of 9mm, but if they come out with an SR40, I'll be all over that.

darrellkansas
January 1, 2008, 04:15 PM
Im making my first post here in THR,Im looking over the SR-9 in other forums was told by a friend to come here,just looking for opinions from others.I however will wait to see if a compact version comes out.
Own two Ruger wheel guns & happy with them.
Input on the SR-9 and Rugers other semi-auto's.Are the Semi-auto line from Ruger dependable? Is the SR-9 line a whole new design in its self ?
Also is there a section here dedicated to only Ruger products?

Juna
January 1, 2008, 04:21 PM

Agreed. Take it with a grain (or mountain) of salt. Some of the worst misinformation I've heard first-hand about firearms has come at various gun shops. He may have a bunch of the P95PRs he wants to get rid of that have suddenly become less desirable and less valuable since they're no longer the newest Ruger on the block. CDNN has them (P95PR) for $249 NIB, BTW.

Search firearm forums on the internet. I haven't read anything bad about the SR9 yet, but they're pretty new still. If you're considering getting one, my personal advice is wait a few months and see how people feel about them--actual people who own them. THR is a great resource for information like this.

I've heard gun shop workers talk about pretty much any gun--except, coincidentally, their most expensive guns--and tell me it's a lemon that kept coming back in for repairs. Yet my own experiences with some of the "unreliable" guns--guns that I actually own--are the opposite. For example, a few years ago when I was looking for my CZ 75, I went into a local shop that didn't happen to sell any. When I inquired why, he replied, "Junk." I asked him to elaborate, and he just repated, "Junk." Then he tried to talk me into a H&K Mark 23 SOCOM that was priced $2000. My CZ 75 is by far my favorite pistol and has been literally 100% reliable and more accurate than any gun I've ever fired thus far.

Try going into a different shop in the area, and you'll hear totally different information. It's amazing the BS that flies around gun shops. I could go on and on with stories, but my post would be a novel.

Kimber1911_06238
January 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
Guns and ammo just had an article about a 12,000 round test with an SR9. according to them it was tough, reliable, and shot well.

of course, that's just what the magazine said, but i tend to trust them over some guy at a gun shop

Jumpin4Joy
January 1, 2008, 07:05 PM
I've had nothing but success with my SR9--1600 rounds through mine. I've only completely cleaned it twice. Without more information, its hard to come to any conclusions.

JP from Phoenix
January 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
i was looking at an SR9 last time i was at a shop and the dude recomended it over an M&P9. Its a slick gun IMO fits my hand well and its nice and slim, would make a great carry piece and they were selling them for $399

SouthpawShootr
January 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
Go to guns & ammo and read the SR9 atricle

Ah, the pinnacle of objective journalism.:neener:

I've read the article. I'm softening up to the gun. I read gun rags mostly when I'm bored out of my mind and then only to read about the features offered on new designs. I trust none of what that industry says. I find the people who frequent these boards to be a tough crowd and if I find several that say it's a go, then I'm comfortable. I've seen very little in the way of bad writeups for this gun and lots of satisfied owners. They seem to sell well in local shops. I think the only issue that has been identified is that dryfiring the gun with magazine out damages something, I can't remember what, but you can pre-empt that by removing the magazine disconnect according to several sources. Prices locally here are putting them into the same range as Glock and frankly that's too high. So I'm holding out a bit to come across something significantly less expensive.

45LCPAL
January 1, 2008, 07:35 PM
Guys, in my gun shop, if I have a customer asking about a pistol that I have no personal experience with, I merely tell them just that and suggest they go to the internet and check it out for themselves. A firearm these days is a big investment for some people in terms of finances. I recently told a customer about the SR9 and suggested he check it out for himself. I told him I would sell him whatever he was comfortable with and not my personal preference in a 9MM.

kokapelli
January 1, 2008, 07:39 PM
SouthpawShootr, I paid $405 for my SR9, shipped and the post before yours lists the SR9 for $399. I've never seen a new Glock that cheap!

A Glock 19 should run at least $80 to $100 more.

tblt
January 1, 2008, 07:55 PM
I ask all the question because I thoght I could value all your guys opinions.
I just want the right gun the first time.
If you don't like my questions please just skip over my threads.
Thanks
tblt (Florida)

tblt
January 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have the guns and ammo magazine at home.Thats what turned me on to the gun.12000 rounds without cleaning thats good plus it looks as if it shoots better groups than glocks,xd,or cz pistolsthey have reviewed.

guy sajer
January 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
SR9

We've sold 10-12 of them locally . No parts separation that we know of .

Several reports that the trigger smoothes up after a couple hundred rounds .

Guys, in my gun shop, if I have a customer asking about a pistol that I have no personal experience with, I merely tell them just that and suggest they go to the internet and check it out for themselves. A firearm these days is a big investment for some people in terms of finances. I recently told a customer about the SR9 and suggested he check it out for himself. I told him I would sell him whatever he was comfortable with and not my personal preference in a 9MM.
I like your style LC . However , if you've read many forums over the years , I'm not sure how strongly I'd recommend the customer "buy" into what he reads here . No offense intended , but sometimes a new shooter won't know the wheat from the chaff . There are different levels of guidance out here . ;)

kingpin008
January 1, 2008, 10:37 PM
Denali - So let me get this straight - he said the other day that he was going to buy an SR-9, because he'd heard they were great, but then he comes back and makes a post asking about them falling apart because of what he was told by the dealer in the shop he went to?

OMG, STOP THE PRESSES!

All that means, is that he went to buy the gun (like he said he was going to in the post you mentioned) and then heard some distressing news and wanted to come back here to see what we might have to say about it. What's wrong with that? Why are you so invested in giving him a hard way to go on here? It doesn't seem to me (although I could be wrong) that you're really the only one who's bothered by his posts. And if that's the case, why not just ignore him.

THR is great because we have the people here who have the knowledge and interest to answer questions like this. Sometimes the questions get repetative, but so what? It seems to me that you think that TBLT is in some way a troll, or messing with us. So far, I have to disagree.

Whatever the case, I'm done responding. I don't agree with your comments to him, but I'm not going to try to change your mind. Just try to be a little more....laid back in the future, possibly? Sometimes people are really just looking for answers, and not pulling your chain.

DENALI
January 2, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hey Kingpin008 why don't you try taking it easy. If I see that kind of thing I'm gonna call it everytime. Why don't you go back and read all the post's, two of which are identical. Further why start a post and then diddy-bop off and start a new one before it's run it's course, isn't that just a little unfair to the rest of us who took the time to respond in the first place, or is it your position that were just here to entertain each poster! If were gonna post I think it's only common courtesy to ride it out for the benefit of all........:D

3 gun
January 2, 2008, 06:23 AM
Fellow USPSA shooter has a test in the newest Front Sight mag. Ran 7000 rounds, nothing broke. Had more than a few good words for it. Would be worth a look for a Production shooter. Knowing him I'd believe the test.

buenhec
January 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe I am just spoiled by my Sigs, but I pulled the trigger on a new Ruger, horrible is the only thing I can say. My dealer didnt like them as well and sent them all back.

NG VI
January 2, 2008, 11:10 AM
the SR9 looks way better with a blacktop, my opinion

steelyblue
January 2, 2008, 11:33 AM
My brother in law has the Ruger SR9 and is very pleased with it. I'll say this, however, it is his first handgun and when I tried the trigger, I thought my glock ran circles around it. I could slam the gun more, but it is a VERY sturdy gun, and I can't see hoe it would be possilble for the thing to fall apart. Ruger makes a fine revolver!

It is not my kind of handgun, but if someone shoots it well, it is the gun for them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9 comming apart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!