Loading for the short barrel 40 S&W

PDA

poe
December 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
What powder(s) would be preferable for loading self defense ammo for a compact auto with say a 3 1/2 inch barrel? Will be using 165 grain Golden Sabers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading for the short barrel 40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FieroCDSP
December 31, 2007, 10:23 PM
Generally you want to avoid using reloads for self defense, as the possibility of a bad round is greater (especially given the tight QC on factory defense loads) and a zealous prosecutor could try to use your "Demon-From-Hell" hand load as proof you were lookin to kill someone. They are fine to practice with, though.

But if I had to choose a powder? Bullseye is nice. Meters well, has a sharp bark, and gives you upper-middle to low-high range velocities. On a 165, it'd be no real issue to break 1000ft/s. Bullseye also seems to have a lot less smoke than some powders I've tested. Power Pistol is another that would give you some nice velocities.

poe
January 1, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks Fiero,
As a matter of fact I have a bit of both of those powders!

WESHOOT2
January 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
Power Pistol and 3N37.

dakotasin
January 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
i like power pistol in the 40 s&w.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading for the short barrel 40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!