H&R Protector pump shotgun

PDA

pinstripe
January 1, 2008, 02:15 AM
Do any of you have a H&R protector 12 Ga. pump? I see where Academy sports has them for $169. Let me know all you can about them. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Protector pump shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAX100
January 1, 2008, 03:41 AM
Many on here don't like them because they are a made in China copy of the beloved Remington 870. None of them have ever own one or even fired one. I own one of the Norinco 870 copies and love it. We all tend to forget made in China is branded in every household.

They are imported by Marlin and made to their specs. Remington now owns Marlin. Remington is now importing copies of their on 870 shotgun from China.

By the way that is a very good price for a PP I would jump on it.

Read this thread it will tell you all you need to know.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=320889&highlight=pardner+pump

Read this one also:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=327548

GC

MAX100
January 1, 2008, 01:18 PM
This shotgun is a little better deal if you want Ghost Ring sight. It is made by Norinco just like the Pardner Protector. It is the same shotgun I have.

I don't know if you have a big 5 near you.

Norinco 982 shotgun link:
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2504041&rapid=0&listingid=-2092197252&offerid=

GC

doubletapp
January 1, 2008, 02:13 PM
I recently picked one up for $99-NIB!
I cant complain of the performance or the price!

Red Label
January 1, 2008, 02:26 PM
Max, I just feel the need to respectfully disagree with you. Yes, there are chinese products in my house. You just can't seem to help it anymore in many instances but when I have a choice I WILL buy American. Just last weekend, Christmas Eve in fact, my sump pump went out in my basement. The contractor that had installed it had used a chinese made piece of:cuss:. Thankfully the local hardware was still open had a selection of pumps both chinese and American. Guess which one I bought and it was only a few dollars more. American made goods are still better made and we keep our guys working! I truly hope that what ever your line of work is it is not eventually affected by the offshore outsourcing that is becoming so prevalent. Unfortunately...mine is.:banghead:

MAX100
January 1, 2008, 02:40 PM
Contact your Politician and vote in the next election. If I could stop or limit the amount of China imports and lower the debt to China I would. This is the firearms section of THR. Let's leave the politics out of it and give a straight forward evaluation on the guns.

GC

JW Black Label
January 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
After reading one of the above links from Max and seeing Dave close it not for inapproptiate language or content but do to the fact that a few people disagreed with him is total BS. I've been reading posts here for awhile and ejoyed Dave's posts and comments until now, seems to me you believe in dictatorship and not freedom of speech, maybee you should look into chineese guns.

Red Label
January 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
Not being political. We all have a choice in what we buy and if we don't buy it they don't make it. If we buy American we keep people in business. Just my own opinion and you can take it or leave it. Not trying to start a fight.

pinstripe
January 1, 2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for staying on task:rolleyes: I just needed info on the gun, not political views. Would it make a good home defence weapon for cheap? I do not want to keep my centerfire rifles loaded for home protection, not even my Chinese SKS.:what:

MAX100
January 1, 2008, 09:21 PM
The Pardner Protector would make an excellent HD shotgun. It is back by Marlin H&R NEF Warrantee and they have very good customer service. From my experience, chances are you will never need to use that Warrantee.

I believe Dave closed the thread because one of the members called him a "Hypocrite", name calling is against the rules. I believe he is a very fair Moderator.

GC

HOLY DIVER
January 1, 2008, 10:22 PM
its funny......how many people on here that refuse to own a shotgun thats made in china own a sks or a ak-47?if you do better get ride of them fast cause there made in china.......i own a pardner pump with a 18 1/2 barrel i use for HD it patterns well never had a problem out of it
i understand if you want to support american made products
but hey if its a good shotgun its a good shotgun
the reason i use the pardner for HD is
the magazine tube on my mossburg tends to hang up sometimes when reloading
the pardner is smooth as a baby's rearend
so if i'm useing a shotgun to defend my family......u get my drift?
i guess i comes to this.......can you go out and buy a american made shotgun that comes factory with a 18 1/2 barrel for $150 that performs well?

MAX100
January 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Here is a review test done on the Pardner Pump and the Remington 870. I have posted it before. It will upset some Remington owners.

Pardner Pump & Remington 870 Express review:
http://survival.com/IVB/index.php?showtopic=5542

I didn't write the review but I do agree with most of it.

GC

glocksrfugly
January 2, 2008, 02:22 AM
My son bought an H&R 12 gauge 28" Pardner pump last spring from our local Dicks sporting goods. He paid $189 for it.
It shoots well, has a decent finish, the action is smooth and it has some very nice walnut for the stock and fore end, nicer than the wood I have seen on some of the 870 Express models in stores. Even if it is an import, It's still a great gun for little money.
And as of Dec. 07; Remington and Marlin/H&R/NEF are all owned by the same company. So I consider the Pardner Pumps are now "adopted" 870's.
Everyone justifies the way they spend their money in different ways. If something is a good product at a very affordable price it has value. Not everyone is financially well off enough to weigh the politics of where certain products are made. And frankly most really don't care.

HOLY DIVER
January 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
well put glocksrfugly

ladykilla
January 2, 2008, 10:56 PM
pinstripe: I have a Pardner Protector. I LOVE the weapon. Every month when guys from my dept. go and qualify I always bring it out to run with the 870's. Never had one problem with it, and it gets shot ALOT by many different people. You wont go wrong if you decide to go with it.

JW Blacklabel: I noticed that as well.

HOLY DIVER
January 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
glad you enjoy your pardner ladykilla.
lol you can allways tell if someone is in the millitary or is a cop
they allways call there rifle/shotgun pistol a weapon
not picking on you ladykilla its just i got a few friends i shoot with
that are cops/millitary i allways give them a hard time

MAX100
January 3, 2008, 12:23 AM
It is good to here feedback from actual owners of the Pardner Pump. You know all of the 870 accessories will fit the Pardner Pump. I also make a mag tube extension for them that is even with the end of the barrel on the 18.5 Protector model. It will give your gun 7+1 capacity. They are a copy of the Choate ext tubes. All steel, strong and light weight with a nice matte black finish.

GC

ladykilla
January 3, 2008, 01:11 AM
Buck, no offense taken. Now there are two, and for the life of me I can't remember, some police departments here in NC that actually issue the Norinco 870's. There might be more. Some of the guys stated that why outfit the whole department for xxxxx amount when you can do it for at least half with the same and or better results? I'll try to scratch my head and see if I can remember if anyone cares.

Max, you need to post some pics of that mag tube extension. Or at the very least, let's post some pics of our "commie" shotties.

MAX100
January 3, 2008, 01:20 AM
I will post some pics of my commie 870 with the Mag tube ext the first of next week. My Norinco 870 has an excellent set of Ghost ring sights.

Norinco 870 18.5" barrel has a 7+1 capacity capability.

On a Renington 870 the best that you can get out of 18" barrel is 6+1 capacity.

GC

ladykilla
January 3, 2008, 01:39 AM
Max, when you do I'll add to your thread with pics of mine.

Ladykilla, who is a proud member of the Commie Shotty Club.

Blue .45
January 4, 2008, 09:24 PM
Ladykilla, who is a proud member of the Commie Shotty Club.

If I keep reading these positive comments, I might become one too. The price alone makes it very tempting. I have no real need for another shotgun, but I guess it can't hurt to have a spare.

MAX100
January 4, 2008, 10:21 PM
The NEF Pardner Pump 870 hunting shotguns are a excellent deal also. Their Camo pump guns are a steal at what they cost and a have a very nice finish. If anyone is looking for a very well made semi auto shotgun, the Marlin H&R Execl Auto 5 are very well made and reliable, light weight and low recoil shotguns. I am working on a review test on one now that I plan to post soon. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a low cost semi auto shotgun. They are made in Turkey on CNC machines.

GC

HOLY DIVER
January 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
my parder pump came with a 26" barrel with screw-in chokes
i ordered the 18.5 barrel so now i have the best of both worlds
no tools are needed to change barrels

ladykilla
January 5, 2008, 07:47 PM
Tech, if you decide to take the plunge, you'll have no worries.

HOLY DIVER
January 5, 2008, 07:51 PM
Tech, if you decide to take the plunge, you'll have no worries.

ditto

Rock_Steady
January 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
I have no doubt that these are good enough working shotguns. There are those of us that have had the 870's for years, have seen that they simply don't break, and that we want to save others. The longer you live, the more it becomes evident that you really do get what you pay for, especially in the inexpensive firearms area.

Have fun with your shotgun. Regardless of what you buy, practice, practice, practice.

ladykilla
January 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
"The longer you live, the more it becomes evident that you really do get what you pay for, especially in the inexpensive firearms area."

I have no problems what so ever in protecting my family's life with a $300.00 Ruger, a $250.00 Kel-Tec, or a $200.00 Pardner Protector Pump. I bought one Kimber, and after the lovely experience that I had with it, will never own another one. The price tag on a weapon means nothing. That $1600 paper wieght I owned proved that. Just as my "cheapos" do every day. To each his own.

MAX100
January 5, 2008, 11:39 PM
Rock: Another uninformed opinion. You act as though the Norinco 870 just came out. The Norinco 870 shotguns have been around for about 10 years. Guns and Ammo Magazine did a write up test review on the tactical model with ghost ring sights in their July 2000 issue. I still have the issue. They said it is the best deal in a tactical shotgun the be had anywhere. They gave it 3 stars out 4. I have that very same shotgun in the issue and have had it for about 7 years. No break downs, FTF with any ammo even the very cheap stuff, no tool marks in the chamber, very smooth action, metal trigger guard, very good set of ghost ring sights, 7+1 capability out of a 18.5" barrel. They have improved them more since I bought my shotgun. If it would have come with a little better finish and a nicer recoil pad, I would put it on par with the current Remington 870 Police. The Remington 870P with the unprotected set of ghost ring sights will cost you around $700. I gave $175 for my Norinco 870P. After 7 years of use I don't see any break downs in it's future.

Other than wanting the name Remington on the Receiver, I don't see why anyone would buy a lower grade shotgun, like the 870 Express and pay more money for it, when you could have the H&R Pardner Pump for less money.

I try not to give an opinions on guns I have never owned or tried out because it results in people getting the wrong information.

GC

HOLY DIVER
January 6, 2008, 10:32 AM
i have owened a few remm870's they were both wingmasters now i own a pardner pump for HD i can't say anything bad about the 870 or the pardner!
I aloso own a 500 that has had 1000's of shells through it and has never missed a beat
so i guess buy what feels right to you!

MAX100
January 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
Read this thread post posted on THR:

870 express vs 870 wingmaster
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=329110

I have read a lot of post like this one lately on this site and others and seen these problems myself with the 870 Express.

GC

Nightfox_308
January 19, 2008, 05:53 PM
Just got one awsome grouse gun:D. the way the cylinder choke works its perferct for the tiny grouse. in my opinion its an awsome all around gun.:)

Nightfox_308
January 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
i was wondering if his would be good for grouse. what do u think?

Recon187
January 23, 2008, 03:50 PM
I recently bought a Pardner Pump 12 ga. It is a very nicely made weapon. I have used Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, ect. The point i have is all of these shotguns have a price at least 100 dollars over what the Pardner costs, and not that I mind paying for quality and reputation but the Pardner is a steal for what it costs. I am not sure if the cost will stay the same due to the fact that Remington just bought out H&R/NEF. The Pardner is a replica of the Remington 870 and after market stocks, forends ect. can fit if you choose to upgrade components. The only problem with the Pardner is that it isnt actually a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590. For example I bought a Knoxx Spec Ops stock for the Remington 870 and it fit very closely on the Pardner to what it would on the 870 however the bolt that screws in is to long, I cut the bolt and bam! it fit solidly.

ImARugerFan
January 24, 2008, 09:13 AM
This is a very nice gun. I just got one and I really like it for the price. It obviously won't compare to a wingmaster, but I like it better than the 870 express, and it's cheaper. I would definitely buy it.

I have no doubt that these are good enough working shotguns. There are those of us that have had the 870's for years, have seen that they simply don't break, and that we want to save others. The longer you live, the more it becomes evident that you really do get what you pay for, especially in the inexpensive firearms area.

Were they wingmasters or expresses? Big difference. The express is in fact an inexpensive firearm, and if you are going to go inexpensive, I would go lower in cost, higher in quality and get the Pardner Pump.

Nightfox_308
February 5, 2008, 04:23 PM
buddy got one he like it at first but then got tired of it and sold it to heavy for hunting (that was him on the other post)

Nightfox_308
February 5, 2008, 04:26 PM
a gun thats a bit more but is better in my opinion is the charles daily protecter;)

MAX100
February 5, 2008, 06:11 PM
Here is a NEF Pardner Pump Protector with one of my magazine tube extensions I make for these shotguns. It has 7+1 capacity with extension.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/GCPP-1.jpg

GC

ohioarmedneutrality
February 5, 2008, 06:41 PM
I just bought a Pardner Protector pump, $166 + tax, NIB. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet (darn Ohio weather!) but it seems like a very smooth, solid shotgun. I've run snap caps through it and it just feels "right."

I looked all over for a home defense shotgun. The one Walmart in my area that still sells firearms had a Maverick 88 for $164, but I didn't want a 28-inch barrel for home defense. I also went to three different pawn shops. They had some Rems and Mossbergs, but they were either beat all to hell and/or overpriced.

At almost all the gun shops I visited, none had anything in a comparable price range to the Pardner. Gander Mountain's selection was especially overpriced, not surprising really. That, and their customer service stinks. I'm not asking some gum-popping 19-year old girl about the various benefits and disadvantages of one firearm vs another.

I really don't care if the receiver on my Pardner says Made in China. Practically all my firearms collection is from outside the US. And a lot of us don't have $300-$400, which seems to be the going rate in this area for a basic, Made-in-USA, NIB shotgun. I'll join the "buy American" crowd when the US firearms companies offer comparable quality at comparable prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Protector pump shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!