(NC) Man charged with shooting deer from limo window

PDA

Drizzt
January 10, 2003, 05:10 PM
Man charged with shooting deer from limo window

The Associated Press
Jan 10, 2003 : 2:35 pm ET

LINCOLNTON, N.C. -- A Lincoln County man has been charged in the drive-by shooting of a deer from a limousine in which he was taken taking his children to school.

Michael Paul Rife, 26, of Denver, N.C., stopped the limo, rolled down his window and shot the 6-month-old deer Dec. 20, leaving it behind until he dropped off his daughter, authorities said.

He returned later with his son to retrieve the animal.

Before he got there, several witnesses reported the shooting to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department.

"Imagine getting reports of shots being fired out of a black limo on Amity Church Road," Assistant District Attorney Kay Killian said. "You would have thought the Mafia had come to Lincoln County."

According to Allen Carlisle, an N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission agent, Rife stopped the limo, rolled down the window and shot the deer.

Emmitt Poole, the owner of the land where the deer was shot, said the father was wearing camouflage with an orange toboggan and the boy had on an orange hunting vest when they returned.

Deputy Robert Milton, a bailiff on his way to court in Lincolnton, pulled up behind the limo and detained the two until Carlisle could arrive.

The deer had only been wounded by the shot and had to be killed.

Rife was charged with hunting an anterless deer out of season. He has a conviction in Union County for hunting without a license.

http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-307939.html

If you enjoyed reading about "(NC) Man charged with shooting deer from limo window" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
January 10, 2003, 05:23 PM
He was wearing a toboggan? I didn't think that they got enough snow in NC (in general) to go sledding.

Greg

bogie
January 10, 2003, 05:25 PM
I'll bet he ain't originally from there - probably moved in from NY or CA, and figured he'd "go native." Only problem is he couldn't get away from his stereotypes...

Art Eatman
January 10, 2003, 08:35 PM
In Texas, now, he could lose the limo as well as his gun. (Other states have similar punishments for poaching.)

Great "parenting", huh? Wonderful example for his kids.

Sorry sack of trash...

Art

m.i.sanders
January 10, 2003, 08:44 PM
What an idiot:banghead: That's the kind of donkey that the press uses to protray us as.

hammer4nc
January 10, 2003, 10:24 PM
greg l,

"toboggan" is a term used around here, to describe a knit cap...lots of folks get a chuckle when first hearing it ...:D

4v50 Gary
January 10, 2003, 10:36 PM
CA is the same art. Lose the car, the gun, pay $ in advance for your housing at the state managed hotel at Quentin.

PATH
January 10, 2003, 10:37 PM
It really gives decent hunters a black eye when something like this happens. Ruins it for all the rest of us! I hope they prosecute to the fullest extent. What an idiot!:cuss:

Rebeldon
January 10, 2003, 10:43 PM
That's poaching! He should loose his limo, his gun, and shouldn't be allowed to hunt again in NC for ten years. What an idoit!

That's funny about the toboggan. It didn't occur to me that a Northerner would get confused about that word, but now I can see how.

I want to know if the limo had the proper amount of hunter orange paint. :rolleyes:

riverdog
January 10, 2003, 11:14 PM
"But officer, the limo is my mobile hunting blind." :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "(NC) Man charged with shooting deer from limo window" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!