Lyman 4500 vs Lee Liquid Alox...

PDA

Ed Gallop
January 1, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have been using Lee Liquid Alox and am not pleased with coating the entire bullets. It is sticky no matter how long it dries or the method I use. I wipe the base before sitting up to dry because it makes a performance difference, especially in large casings such as the 45 Colt, but the exposed part of the bullets stay sticky enough to be a little annoying.

I am considering purchasing a Lyman Sizer/Lubricator not only because I will be loading for 30.30 Winchester (thanks to Santa) but because it would make for cleaner handgun bullets. I do not know if the heavier lube in the groves would be better than the coating with liquid lube when it comes to performance. I sure could use some advice before making the investment. Ed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 4500 vs Lee Liquid Alox..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hotwheelz
January 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
How long are you letting the bullets set up before handling and loading?? I let them set for 1.5-2 days and they are a little tacky.

The 4500 is a great piece of equipment, you could also get a used lyman 450, or 45. The rcbs lubematic does a fine job as well. If your doing alot and want to save time maybe the star luber is the way just some options.

I run both the TL, and I use a lyman 450, and a lyman 45 both do well. You will have to play with diff. lubes to get what you want there are alot of diff. options. If you run a hard lube you will need a heater. I have tried alot of diff. lubes and some seem to react better with this powder { less smoke} then that powder. I know some guys who use a regular lube and also put the liquid alox on them. I dont know if Im supposed to put other forums up here but have you tried looking around on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
There are alot of old time casters on there with alot of info.

-Will

GP100man
January 1, 2008, 09:52 PM
and when you go to castboolits .com look at the bottom of the page & go to lar45s stuff ,i use his red carnauba lube on my boolits & i have cleaned my 450s the last time!!!!

GP100man

scrat
January 1, 2008, 10:50 PM
i had a rcbs lubrisizer. i just finally gave up on it. i guess i will deal with the sticky bullets. It was just to time consuming lubing and sizing 1000 plus bullets. I believe star is the way to go from what i have heard

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 4500 vs Lee Liquid Alox..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!