Why STP Oil Treatment?

PDA

Rustynuts
January 1, 2008, 07:55 PM
Why do I see everyone using STP Oil Treatment when lubing some parts on a press? Why not other types of oil or grease?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why STP Oil Treatment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eric F
January 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
not sure on this personaly I use mobile 1.........ok just kidding

I am uncertian I use wd 40 right before a session and right after on some parts other parts like the plastic gears on the lee auto index I have a plastic safe lube and on other parts like the case feeder and the powder measure I use graphite and on t parts I put a dab of high temp wheel bearing grease. Why high temp grease you might ask well its what I had on the shelf

oh if you lube your nuts they wont get rusty "ho ho ha ha oh to laugh"(daffy duck)

Ifishsum
January 1, 2008, 08:05 PM
Not sure, probably because it is sticky like honey and is more likely to stay where you put it.

wally
January 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
I gave up on WD40 years ago, its great for a while, but eventually it forms a gum that fouls things up.

--wally.

jfh
January 1, 2008, 09:34 PM
Actually, AFAIK STP has been recommended only as a "tip" for those of us with Lee presses. Shadow500 shows its use on the Load-Master case feeder.

I tried his tip, and it works wonderfully for providing lubrication while also providing a "drag" that promotes reliable operation of the feeder--so I've promoted it in other posts about the Load-Master.

Jim H.

Shadow500
January 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
I use STP oil treatment because it is thicker and seems to stay put longer than oil. I do use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles but I don't use it on the press because it appears to be much thinner than STP oil treatment and I assume that you would have to re-apply it more frequently. I could be wrong about the Mobil 1 but I am sticking with the STP because it works for me.

I do use WD40 around the house on other things but I never use it as a lubricant on anything. The best use I ever found for it is for removing adhesives. It takes that tape from the temporary license plates right off of the glass. I also use it to inert primers.

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Why STP Oil Treatment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!