Removing Taurus cylinder?

PDA

VictorLouis
July 26, 2003, 03:56 AM
from the yoke/crane? Is there a way to do this that I'm just not grasping?:confused:

Based on how much crap builds-up on the yoke barrel of my Smiths, it would seem to become a problem on the Taurus in short order.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Taurus cylinder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
July 26, 2003, 04:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, after you remove the crane/cylinder assembly the cylinder just slides off the crane. If you want to tear it down further, unscrew the ejector rod counter-clockwise, remove rod, spring, collar. Then remove lock pin and spring. Finally remove extractor/ratchet.

jsalcedo
July 26, 2003, 11:49 AM
The ejector rod unscrews but be careful not to bugger it up.

I ended up shooting mine loose and had to use locktite to keep it
secured.

E357
July 26, 2003, 01:20 PM
You need specialized tools to remove the bushing that holds the cylinder to the yoke. For cleaning - I just let the whole thing soak in fluids for a day or so.

Elliot

dance varmint
July 27, 2003, 12:02 AM
I was stymied by that unusual cylinder retaining bushing, but then I realized that it can be pried out carefully. It just has tabs that clip into a groove inside the yoke barrel. Those tabs may need to be bent outward very slightly to make it snap back in.

VictorLouis
July 27, 2003, 12:50 AM
Impress me about the Taurus. The bushing acting as a lock for the cylinder isn't one of them.:rolleyes: Thanks for pointing it out to me.

E357
July 27, 2003, 05:04 AM
dance varmint: I've attached an expolded view of a model 85. Could you please explain what part you pried out (I assume #2) and what technique you used. Did you go in the back of the cylinder with a "hook" or push it out from the front with a punch etc.

dance varmint
July 28, 2003, 03:16 PM
Yes, the bushing is number 2. I pried it out from the back side by working around the outside edge with a small screwdriver.

This allowed me to fix cylinder endshake by installing one of those bearing washers.

E357
July 28, 2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the relpy. On my guns the bearing fit is so flush that you can hardly see it. I will be forced to go the gunpowder and cork route.

Elliot

tiberius
January 26, 2004, 11:10 AM
Dance Varnmit,

What endshake bushing did you use for your Taurus 85? It's cylinder pin is much larger than a j frame's.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Taurus cylinder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!