.22 Auto Recommendations

PDA

Dionysusigma
January 2, 2008, 02:08 AM
Need some good suggestions for a .22 autoloader. Had a SA .22 revo once, but didn't quite like it.

This would be mainly a range pistol. No squirrels, snakes, or zombies. :rolleyes: :D Per usual, accuracy is good, reliability is good, lower price is good.

In conjunction with an Appleseed-esque 10/22 I might be building soon, I'm going to re-learn a few basic techniques with it, such as not everything has to cause me pain when I shoot it.

So, where do y'all's recommendations stand?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Auto Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
January 2, 2008, 02:24 AM
Tough to beat a Browning Buckmark for low cost and high performance. Flip the sear spring, and you're GTG. ;)

Ruger 22/45 would run a close second, only cuz the ergos on the Buckmark are a little better.

kingpin008
January 2, 2008, 02:59 AM
I voted for the MK III. I've got a Stainless Hunter model, and love it. So does the fiancee. Wicked accurate, and built like a tank.

hexidismal
January 2, 2008, 03:13 AM
considering the 22A is on the list , why no Beretta Neos ?

BullRunBear
January 2, 2008, 06:36 AM
Ruger Mk II. Easier assembly than the Mk III. Great balance makes it comfortable for the wife's small hands even with the 6" bull barrel.

usp9
January 2, 2008, 06:44 AM
Browning Buckmark, good price, great grip, good trigger.

NGIB
January 2, 2008, 07:16 AM
+1 for the Buckmark. High quality and relatively cheap. Got mine NIB for $249 and it's a joy to shoot...

col_tapiocca
January 2, 2008, 07:19 AM
I vote for the ruger MKIII. The Ruger's MKIII are solid steel pisol and give you a "feeling" of shooting a Parabellum.
I used to have a Walther P22 for a while. But was never impressed about quality and accuracy of P22. So I trade it off for a Winchester 9422 leveraction.

JYI: The P22 has a die-casting slide made of aluminium.

Dionysusigma
January 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm actually kinda surprised that nobody's voted for the Mosquito yet. It's a Sig, ain't it? :confused:

hexidismal: Considering the 22A is on the list, why no Beretta Neos?I despise the look. It looks like a dollar-store squirt gun to me.

Bellevance
January 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
Smith & Wesson Model 41. First quality fit and finish. The ultimate in an American-made target pistol. ;)

Powderfinger61
January 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ruger MKII Bull Barrel out of the box competition shooter

Dionysusigma
January 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
Bellevance: Smith & Wesson Model 41. First quality fit and finish. The ultimate in an American-made target pistol. ;)
Out of my price range (but then again, so is the Beretta Mod.87).

Keep 'em coming! What makes the Buckmark better than the Ruger Mk.III? (stirring the pot a little :evil: )

kentucky_smith
January 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
Buckmark is a finer pistol, easier to take down and put back together. Yes it takes tools but still. It's also based on an older JMB design (the Colt Woodsman).

JMB>Bill Ruger.

:D

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_45/ai_55605738/pg_1

10-Ring
January 2, 2008, 12:14 PM
If I were to do it again, I'd go w/ the Beretta...but, my Ruger Mk II has been a great shooter for over a decade & probably well over 150,000 rounds!

SGW42
January 2, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ruger. I love my Mark II and III. Out of the box tack drivers. All the .22 pistol I'll ever need. Accessories available out the wazoo.

shooter1
January 2, 2008, 12:57 PM
I voted for the Buchmark over the Mklll. The magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and key lock improvement have just about ruined the Ruger. If I owned a Mklll, I'd remove the mag disconnect before I even fired it! The Mklll has about the worst trigger I've ever tried on a .22 auto pistol. Love my Mklls, they will outlast me and my son, but the Buckmark is a better pistol than the Mklll out of the box! Removal of the mag disconnect will make the trigger much better, but it shouldn't be there in the first place.
str1

mjrodney
January 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
MKIII Target Slabside.

The trigger on that puppy is just great for a production handgun.

I'd compare it to my Les Baer Premier II and Kimber Team Match II in smoothness and let off.

It really is a great handgun.

Edit: Just saw Shooter1's comment on his trigger. We posted near simutaneously. Could there really be that much difference between one individual handgun and another?

Interesting thought, but in all truth, my MKIII's trigger really is superb.

SGW42
January 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
I also have a Mark III slabside. The trigger is excellent for what I use it for (informal target)...but to be honest, it has the slightest hint of creep before breaking. The trigger on my Mark II Standard is actually better, breaks completely clean. Dunno if that has to do with the mag disconnect or not. Both triggers are stock.

ekmetz1953
January 2, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'll vote for the U22 NEOS. Great gun for the money.

Mac45
January 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
Have a S&W 22A and would not recommend it to anyone.
Mine leads like crazy with anything except CCI

Pilot
January 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
The Ruger MK II is a great all around .22.

ArmedBear
January 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
S&W 41

If you can swing it, it's the last semiauto .22 range pistol you'll ever want or need.

For a more down-to-earth price, a Ruger.

I have a 22/45 (older model without LCI or magazine disconnect). I love it. Follow directions and cleaning it is easy. Don't follow them, and it's a PITA.

It's not pretty, but it feels great, has excellent accuracy (it's a 6 7/8" slab bull barrel) and keeps on shooting without cleaning. Groups get bigger after about 4 bricks, since the bolt face is so gunked up, but it still feeds and fires. I choose to clean it more often, but that gives you an idea of its reliability.:)

viking499
January 2, 2008, 03:34 PM
1st choice - S&W 41
2nd choice - Browning Buckmark
3rd choice - See 1 and 2:)

Calhoun
January 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
You can't go wrong w/a CZ75 Kadet. You can get is as a complete pistol, or you a conversion kit for any of the CZ75 flavors.

Lightsped
January 2, 2008, 05:10 PM
I am voting for Ruger MKI, II, or III. I have three of these and love them. They are very durable, very accurate, and will last forever.

Pilot
January 2, 2008, 06:51 PM
You can get is as a complete pistol, or you a conversion kit for any of the CZ75 flavors.

I've got the Kadet Kit installed on my CZ75B. I think its better to buy the 9MM 75B then add the .22 conversion. The Kadet Kit is great and equals my Ruger MK II 5.5 inch bull barrel in accuracy. Yes, its that good and works on both my 75B and PCR.

Pine Cone
January 2, 2008, 11:32 PM
Browning Buckmark! Fits my hand better than the Ruger, cheaper than the Ruger, easier to clean than the Ruger...

If I had an unlimited budget I'd go for the S&W Model 41, but unlimited budgets vanished from my life long ago...

My Buckmark Camper Stainless with the TruGlo front sight is one heck of a gun for under $300. Shoots great, and an easy trigger mod for $0. Search rimfire central for the Heggis trigger mod.

Nugilum
January 3, 2008, 04:28 AM
IMunHO - Ruger Mark III. For durability & reliability it has no equal. :neener: (It's very accurate too, but so is the Buckmark.)
I have a 5 1/2" bull barrel Mark II that has 100,000+ rounds through it, and it's still operates flawlessly. There are no screws to strip (minus the four on the grip panels) when you break it down to clean. I remember hearing a friend of mine saying he cleans his Mark II once a year if it needs it or not (And yes it does! Every time! :what:). It's my tool of choice to teach people how to shoot. I had to buy my wife a Mark II of her own so I could get mine back (and she doesn't like firearms that much!)

It's only drawback is the art of disassembly and reassembly. It's a little tricky, and you need to read the manual or do an internet search to figure out how to do it the first time. However it's like riding a bike; once you figure it out, it won't be a problem again.

I love my Mark II and I think you'll enjoy it too. ;)

Dionysusigma
January 3, 2008, 07:23 AM
Well, I'm going to handle a couple of 'em today if I get time. From the looks of it, it's boiling down to either the Mk.III (since no earlier generations can be found locally) and the Buckmark.

I'll post to let everyone know how it goes. :)

shooter1
January 3, 2008, 07:43 AM
Wow! excellent triggers out of the box on Mkllls!!! I guess it depends on what you expect. And in answer to one poster's question, YES, the mag disconnect is the major culprit in the sorry trigger of the Mklll. Removal, will get you a pull akin to a stock Mkll which is much better. Replacing the internals with aftermarkets(Volquartsen) will make it superb!
str1

hexidismal
January 3, 2008, 07:59 AM
YES, the mag disconnect is the major culprit in the sorry trigger of the Mklll. Removal, will get you a pull akin to a stock Mkll which is much better. Replacing the internals with aftermarkets(Volquartsen) will make it superb!

Or.. you could buy a $240 Neos and do a simple home trigger job and make it better than the overpriced custom parts ruger.. hehe

shooter1
January 3, 2008, 08:22 AM
Don't misunderstand, I think the Ruger platform is the best all around .22 pistol on the market for the money. I shoot rimfire matches 1 to 3 times a month. I can tell you the Rugers hold their on against all comers for reliability, durability, and accuracy. 90% of these shooters can afford to shoot any rimfire pistol they want, the majority by far shoot Rugers. Most are stock, or lightly customized. That's another plus for the Ruger, you can customize one anywhere from mild to wild, or have a great shooter out of the box. It just annoys me that Ruger chose to take a step backwards in shootability with the unnecessary changes to this pistol.
str1

Pilot
January 3, 2008, 08:26 AM
It just annoys me that Ruger chose to take a step backwards in shootability with the unnecessary changes to this pistol.

I agree, it is a step back, but from what I read you can remove the mag disconnect and basically turn it into a MK II. I have three MK II's. I will not buy a MK III. If I need another Ruger it will be a used MK II.

shooter1
January 3, 2008, 08:33 AM
Pilot,
Have you seen instructions anywhere for removal of the mag disconnect on the Mklll? I have a couple of friends that are anxious to jump in!
str1

Pilot
January 3, 2008, 09:32 AM
Have you seen instructions anywhere for removal of the mag disconnect on the Mklll?

No I haven't, but I've heard it discussed here and elsewhere. I'm sure a more specific Ruger or rimfire forum would have some instructions, I just don't have a link. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction or post instructions. As I only have MK II's I've not had to do this.

jonboynumba1
January 3, 2008, 09:42 AM
A .22 conversion kit is a must have in my opinion...really warms you up for regular practice and just as fun if not more to shoot. I love rimfire in general but a conversion kit is a gott have it! People serious about a carry/deffensive gun should probably start the shopping by choosing from guns with available kits!

Do I like them?....YES!:)

That said I've had the best luck with Ruger MKII and III's as traget pistols (boss has an old Colt match target that is the most accurate .22 pistol I've ever shot...I love that thing to!)

larry24
January 3, 2008, 11:36 AM
sINCE i WAS A KID MY FATHER AND I HAVE OWNED NUMEROUS RUGER MKI
MARKII , AND MARK III'S.................all of them have been as good as the first..............they are all very reliable and accurate.

I can't compare them to the others becouse its the only 22 auto's we have owned...No need for anything else!

weisse52
January 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ruger MKII, I cannot add anything to the posts above. I have owned Ruger 22 auto's for 30+ years and they have proven themselves to me. BUT I will not buy a MKIII, it has IMPROVED itself to the point I will not buy one.

Do not overlook the conversion units for existing guns. GREAT practice, and some are fairly accurate.

NGIB
January 3, 2008, 12:31 PM
I owned a Mk II and I really like my Buckmark better. This being said, I am not a serious competition shooter and just like to blast away...

chris in va
January 4, 2008, 04:26 AM
CZ Kadet. Mine has been dead reliable and fun as all getout. Slap on a Weaver mount for even more entertainment. I put it on my 75BD.

Oddly enough, I had two Ruger 22/45's. 4" slab side and 6" bull stainless. Neither really 'tripped my trigger' and I sold them off.

Dionysusigma
January 4, 2008, 06:34 AM
Well, I got to handle most of what's on the poll today, and I think I've come to a pretty solid conclusion.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051353m.jpg

The Buck Mark camper got the most points; the area where it shines above everything else, surprisingly, is the grip. The 22/45 was too skinny for me--it felt like they designed the grip after an iPod. The Mk.III was solidly built and shinier, but its drastic grip angle is what broke the deal. Something about the Buck Mark just feels right... the controls made more sense to me than the 22/45 or the 22A, too.

The price is about $20-30 lower than the Rugers, meaning it's about the same since I plan to pick up a second magazine.

Thanks for all the input! :)

jwxspoon
January 4, 2008, 07:35 AM
My beretta neos is a lot of fun to shoot. Has an integral rail on top and I added a cheap BSA holo sight. It's easily a favorite at the range.

jw

cellar dwellar
January 4, 2008, 02:28 PM
+1 for the Beretta Neos. Cheap, easy to clean, fun range gun.

ArchAngelCD
January 4, 2008, 03:51 PM
Other, I really enjoy shooting a Ruger Mark II.

Anna's Dad
January 4, 2008, 06:43 PM
Not recommending them (since I've never even seen one) but Walther has a new SP22 out that looks interesting. You should probably check 'em out before you buy.

varoadking
January 4, 2008, 06:58 PM
Not recommending them (since I've never even seen one) but Walther has a new SP22 out that looks interesting. You should probably check 'em out before you buy.

Worst trigger pull this side of a PA-63...

2nd 41
January 4, 2008, 10:06 PM
Anything other than a Mosquito. If you think that's what you want...read the Mosquito forums first. I sold my Mosquito and Trailside for a S&W 41.
The Trailside is a good choice also

CoinMan
January 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
I went with the Ruger MkIII 22/45, and really enjoy the pistol. It's very smooth, points easily (for me), is quite accurate, and eats anything. Yeah, the mag disconnect and tedious reassembly are a bummer, as well as the billboard, but I'm still happy as heck that I bought the 22/45. Can't beat it at less than $250 NIB, IMO.

Coinman

kd7nqb
January 4, 2008, 11:02 PM
Mark II is a great gun however that Beretta Neos rocks the casbah, it may look like a squirt gun but that does not bother me since its a fun gun rather than a HD or CCW gun.

hksw
January 4, 2008, 11:44 PM
Shoot. I didn't click on the Buckmark before submitting. Add one more to that row.

sparkyguy
January 5, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm a little late, since OP stated he made his choice, but I'll throw out there my experience with the Ruger Mk1 has been fantastic. Very accurate, very reliable(even with the bulk ammo from wallyworld) and is extremely natural in the hand. I got mine from a gun show, but see them on gunbroker.com at decent prices.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/sparkyguy/mk1a.jpg
Plus it looks cool as heck!:D

1911ShooterTJ
January 5, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have a Browning Buckmark Plus Rosewood UDX which I recently bought (on the advice of many THR members, and also because it "fit" me the best as far as handling, etc.). It is a pleasure to shoot. I love it! I highly recommend them.

The Plus Rosewood UDX is a bit more expensive than some of the base models, but it was too beautiful for me to resist! I'm a sucker for pretty wood :D

Here's a picture. I apologize for the bad lighting. The camera flash was glaring off the barrels smooth (very nice) blueing. So a Surefire G2 had to jump in as backup :evil:

http://www.tjmiln.com/upload/buckmark.jpg

shamus
January 5, 2008, 06:21 PM
but from what I read you can remove the mag disconnect and basically turn it into a MK II.

The MKIII still has that blasted key lock in it. The MKII does not.

I voted "other" and will specify a Ruger MKII.

Ops Officer
January 5, 2008, 06:29 PM
S&W Model 41 is a precision shooter. True, it is finicky with some ammo. And I would not shoot high velocity ammo. But it is reliable with most standard ammo and is amazingly accurate. The craftsmanship is superb.

Gunsby_Blazen
July 29, 2008, 03:10 AM
the Smith 41 is a great handgun, but its not in the same class as the buckmark or ruger mk iii,
for the money, the ruger is what i would get. unless your really serious about it, i dont think the smith is worth double the price tag. i mean for an average guy
the smith just seems like a competition gun...

nwilliams
July 29, 2008, 03:29 AM
The Buck Mark camper got the most points; the area where it shines above everything else, surprisingly, is the grip. The 22/45 was too skinny for me--it felt like they designed the grip after an iPod. The Mk.III was solidly built and shinier, but its drastic grip angle is what broke the deal. Something about the Buck Mark just feels right... the controls made more sense to me than the 22/45 or the 22A, too.

Love my Buckmark Camper, you're going to love yours as well, congrats!

Here's mine, I picked it up not too long ago and I'm very happy with it so far......
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/BuckmarkCamper5.jpg

doc2rn
July 29, 2008, 06:46 AM
You will find alot of guys in either the Ruger MK or Browning Buckmark Camp, but me I say dance with the one that brung ya and get a conversion kit for your 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Auto Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!