A return to reloading

PDA

Monkeybear
January 2, 2008, 01:40 PM
I am looking to get back into reloading. I want to load revolver and lever gun calibers so I can buy some more revolvers and lever guns. I am thinking to eventually reload

.44 magnum/special
.357 magnum
.38 special
30-30
45/70 govt

The first time I reloaded I spent more money on reloaded ammo than I ever did on factory ammo so I am not under the notion that it will be a economical hobby:p I just miss it and I want to get started again.

I am currently thinking about investing in a Lee Classic Turret but I am wondering if I should get a progressive instead. I am 24 years old, engaged, have a lot of friends and am a full time student and worker. I little time for my hobbies. I was also considering a Lee Pro 1000 but I have heard from many that the progressive presses don't make the best quality ammo.

I am not sure why this would be the case but I have heard it form several people. Anyway I better get back to my reloading books, its just good reading.

Any advice for someone who has been out of the game for a year or so?

If you enjoyed reading about "A return to reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyFN
January 2, 2008, 06:30 PM
I don't have much experience with other presses but can give you advice on the Lee classic turret. I load 9mm, 38/357 and 223 on mine and they all load very easy. I know other people that load the other calibers you mentioned and are happy with the press. The CT is very easy to setup and operate. You can buy it in a kit from www.kempfgunshop.com for $150. I would recommend an upgrade to the pro auto disk and the large & small safety prime, that will only add about $20. I can load around 200 RPH when loading pistol and 300 RPH loading rifle after the case prep is done. I shoot a lot of IDPA and GSSF matches and don't have any trouble keeping up with my ammo needs. Go to the Lee web site and you can see video's of the CT in operation.
Rusty

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 3, 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with Rusty. For most shooters, even those that compete, a Lee Classic Turret press is a very versatile press that provides a more than adequate quantity of ammo and is very reasonably priced. I own a Hornady LnL progressive and the top quality progressives turn out a lot of top quality ammo fast, but also have a significant price tag.

I also own a Lee Classic Turret press. I find it's much cheaper to get into operation with a new caliber with the Lee than it is with my Hornady and for calibers I don't load thousands of rounds a week for, that's a good deal for me.

For the calibers you're looking at, I think you'll be very happy with the Lee Classic Turret setup.

Regards,

Dave

jfh
January 3, 2008, 09:52 AM
What Rusty and Dave said.

I own an older Lee Turret (updated with the Safety Prime and the 4-die conversion) and other (Lee) presses--but if I were buying today, I'd start with the Classic Cast Turret.

Jim H.

ForneyRider
January 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
The Pro 1000 is setup for speed at an affordable price.

Not sure if .30-30 and .45/70 will fit. If there is a shell plate for them, then it will fit. The Pro 1000 is 3-stage only, as the shell plates are only 3 holes. But the turrets will change out with the Lee Turret 3/4 stage.

The Lee Load Master is a 5 station progressive. I think it is taller. Check the shell plates that are offered to see what it supports.

With the progressives, you get a new round for each pull. Whereas with the turret, you just have one round at a cycle.

If you enjoyed reading about "A return to reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!