Confused about What Press Type to buy?

PDA

bebop4212000
January 2, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have read several threads and articles about press types. Let me describe my situation and maybe you can simplify my decision.

I currently have 2 9mm pistols, 1-- 30-30, 1-- 303 British and a 12 ga. shot gun. I am not a hunter, but I do want to aquire additional guns(ak, mini 14, m1 carbine, ar 15, 45 acp, 40 S&w and more 9's). I have no need for extreme accuracy in rifles such as hunters do. I want to be able to experiment with pistol rounds to find the best round for each gun.

I am favoring a Lee press because they seem to be a good value for the price. I am strongley considering the turrent or progressive but, I really don't understand the advantages of each style. I don't have a lot of spare time because I work out of town so I want to get more rounds in a shorter period of time. I also want the process to be simple. I can see where having as many steps as possible be auto loaded into the press(powder, primers, etc) would be very great to me.

I will appreciate and look forward to your opinions and advice. The simpler you can make it for me would be great because I am ingorant about this facinating hobby.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused about What Press Type to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Russt
January 2, 2008, 09:06 PM
The Lee Classic Cast Turret is the press I use most. I have a Lyman T-mag, Hornady LNL AP, and a couple single stages to size cast bullets on. Get a few extra die stations and caliber swap outs take about a minute or less. I get 150-200 rounds per hour, working at a slow steady pace for pistol rounds. I think it would serve you well. It has me.
Sorry no help on the shotgun.

Starter52
January 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
+1 to what Russt said about the Lee Turret Press. I've had one for years. I once owned a Lee Progressive press. I don't recommend it. Get the Turret Press. It is plenty fast enough, and easy to change from caliber to caliber.

For 12 gauge shotgun - The Lee Load-All is my choice. I've used the same Load-All press for 25+ years. It loads 4-5 boxes per hour, easily. The MEC is a good press too.

ArchAngelCD
January 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
I also own and use a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press. IMO it's the best value for the money it costs. I also get 150-200 rounds of 38/357, 9mm and 45 Auto per hour without rushing and making sure everything is correct and safe.

As for shotgun reloading, those are totally different reloading machines and you can't reload anything but shotgun shells in them. The Lee Load-All II (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=436640&t=11082005) will cost you ~$40 and it complete and ready to go. You can buy it ready to reload and gauge you want and additional gauge conversion kits will cost you under $20. The Primer Feed (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=188662&t=11082005) is an additional $9. I haven't use this reloader but it's been highly recommended by a few reloaders when I asked about shotshell reloading.

SASS#23149
January 2, 2008, 10:44 PM
If one criteria is saving money,I'd skip the shotshell press and go for a good progressive press like my Dillon 550b or others.I"ve done the math and if cheap factory blasting ammo will do ya,the cost is very nerly the same.

A turret press has less moving parts than prgressives,imho,and would be the easiest to change calibers on I think.
I seldom change over my Dillon so no biggie to me,but changing from pisto to rifle is a tad involved.That said,I can do 450 rounds per hour once set up.YES!!! :)

The choice of press can be difficult for the newbie,so weigh all the answers and plunge in head long like you knew what you were doing...like the rest of us did!! LOL

Eagle103
January 3, 2008, 02:24 AM
Lee Classic Turret for sure since you want to reload several different pistol calibers as well as several rifle calibers.

1911NM
January 3, 2008, 03:10 PM
Read all you can, hold your breath, and pick one. :D Once you're hooked, you will be buying more. RCBS rockchucker for rifle, and Hornady LNL-AP for pistol on my bench.

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused about What Press Type to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!