Gun related Pod casts

PDA

RTFM
January 3, 2008, 10:44 AM
For Christmas, I received an Ipod and am really starting to like pod casts.
What are your favorite gun related pod casts?

So far all I can find is Michael Bane's Down Range TV pod cast and have downloaded all of 2007 that is available.

http://www.downrange.tv/podcast.htm

What else is out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun related Pod casts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
January 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
Don't forget Tom Gresham's GunTalk. Nationally syndicated weekly 3-hour talk show that is available on iTunes. I find that the level of discussion from the callers is a bit low on the noobie scale (e.g., 8 out of 10 callers strike me as "those guys" in the Bass Pro Shop that think they know guns but barely know a semi-auto from a bolt action), however, Tom has:

* Good guests -- industry insiders and political types
* Good discussion of gun rights
* Tom is quite knowledgable on hunting and shotguns...and airplanes...why won't he talk more airplanes? :)

AirForceShooter
January 3, 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't even know what a PodCast is.

And really don't care.

AFS

22-rimfire
January 3, 2008, 12:01 PM
I like Guntalk when I have time to listen. You can download the shows at his web site.

RTFM
January 3, 2008, 12:09 PM
AirForceShooter
I don't even know what a PodCast is.
And really don't care.
AFS

Then why bother posting a reply?
The quality of posts/posters here is dropping lately on THR.

Other than the fly by nonsense - thanks guys I had forgot about Tom.

Anyone else (with useful) input?

kd7nqb
January 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ohioans for concealed carry has a good podcast it is called the Firearms Freedom Podcast

There is another one I listen to called "Gun Rights Advocates Podcast" I like it but the guys voice is kinda mono-tone

I use to be one of the hosts of "Gun-cast" but we have not done an episode in over a year and I cant get in touch with the guy that owns the website.

JPFO has a great podcast called "Talkn' to America" I listen to it often

There is also one called "Urban Shooter", it use to be called Blackman with a Gun.

All of those are the exact title so searching Itunes should be easier.

kd7nqb
January 3, 2008, 12:15 PM
Double Post.

davepool
January 3, 2008, 08:34 PM
I don't know what a pod cast is either ,but it sounds interesting if they talk about guns. Somebody help an old fart out and explain

Gunnerpalace
January 3, 2008, 08:44 PM
Go with "The Shooting Bench" by Cope Reynolds I listen to it and it is arguably the best on Itunes right now.

Frosty 52
January 4, 2008, 03:28 AM
Davepool,
When you see all these kids with running around with earphones stuck to thier ears it's because they are listening a musical cacauphony related to thier paticular "tribe." The music is recorded in a digital file with a format called an MP3. It is a file format that uses a sophisticated form of file compression that makes big files into much smaller ones.

That same system is also being used to record radio talk shows, educational lectures, political diatribes, coyote calls and a host of other things. These can be download to your computer played back there or transfered to an ipod type device and listened to in portable mode. Most of these are free and can be located by doing a "google" for podcast directories and then browsing or searching the directory contents. It's easier than it sounds.
Frosty52 in Oregon

RTFM
January 4, 2008, 07:52 AM
Frosty 52 nailed it.
I lay terms.
Host of gun show (or what ever your interested in) records the show and is released in computer format on the Internet (.mp3 as above)

The Ipod (any generic mp3) owner down load these "Pod casts" and listen to them at your leisure - in your car, on your "Ipod" on your computer.

22-rimfire
January 4, 2008, 08:08 AM
I know it was stated, but it is possible to listen to these on your computer rather than a ipod. So folks that don't own an ipod (I'm one of them.) can listen to these radio shows online. I listen to Tom Gresham's shows that way from time to time. He has a good show. It is not highly technical and has broad appeal to foks interested in firearms and firearms issues.

lee n. field
January 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
Liberty Watch Radio (http://libertywatchradio.com/listen) often has gun related programs. No podcast -- you have to manually download the programs and copy them to your device.

RTFM
January 4, 2008, 10:48 AM
22 - yes.
Easiest way is to get Itunes from APple (free)
http://www.apple.com/itunes/
Install it.
Open Itunes, click on Itunes store (left hand side)
Then top right (search magnifier) type Down Range Radio
The bottom of the store will show the returns - #2 shows Michael Banes down range radio.
Follow column to the right you'll see Price FREE then the (Subscribe) button.
Click Subscribe.

Back to the left hand side of Itunes
Click on Podcast you should see Down Range Radio
Click the Black Pointing Right arrow > (this opens up the pod casts for DRR)
Click on the (GET) buttons for each episode you want, they will download (free) to your PC.
Then once downloaded you can listen to them on your PC with out an MP3 player.

Also as a subscriber - Itunes will check (typically weekly when open) the pod casts you have subscribed to and automatically download new releases of the casts.

Clear as mud???
PM if you need further assistance.
But caution IT'S ADDICTING!!!!!

davepool
January 4, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info, my adult children have been harrassing me for years to move into the 21th century, my youngest will be back from her job in Wash. DC for a visit later this month ,i'll get her to explain it to me, When they explain computer stuff to me they always talk R..E..A..L S..L..O..W so maybe be i'll finally get it

jhansman
January 4, 2008, 11:00 PM
Don't forget Tom Gresham's GunTalk
I tried his podcast, but it sounded to me more like 'Gun Rights Talk', a topic I am (for better or worse) growing weary of. I'll try some of the others recommended here. Thanks!

NAK
January 4, 2008, 11:08 PM
I use Nimiq (like iTunes, but simpler) to automatically download podcasts on several different subjects. I burn the mp3s onto CDs then listen to them over the car stereo while driving.

MartinBrody
January 4, 2008, 11:21 PM
Do a search in itunes for "Urban Shooter" & "Pink Rifle". Just keep searching, you will find plenty.

Charles Foxtrot
January 5, 2008, 12:11 AM
The dear wifey gave me a Apple iPod Nano 8 gig.

Wow, just wow.

SanDisk makes an excellent MP3 player, just not as polished as the iPod.

+1 on Tom Gresham's GunTalk. An entertaining mix of products, techniques, philosophy, education, gun rights... and aircraft.

He ain't too bad for a Banana driver.

OHtard
January 5, 2008, 12:22 AM
dont forget matt burkett's practical shooting radio. his shows cover a little bit of everything from 3-gun to sniper rifle competitions. plus great movie reviews from taran butler.

otomik
January 5, 2008, 03:00 AM
I used to listen to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk, I grew sick of his constant selling out. He posts here occasionally so I don't want to hurt his feelings but I think he knows what I'm talking about regarding the Taurus Smartgun, the .45 GAP cartridge and the horrible Benelli episode in which he shouts down a caller for making a perfectly sensible observation that he thought interfered with his Benelli sales pitch.

my Grandfather got me an Iphone for christmas and I just discovered the Assault Rifle Basics video podcast.
http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=29049

nelson133
January 5, 2008, 07:22 AM
I listen to "Gun Talk" regularly and find some value in it. You have to expect him to push his advertisers, the same as anybody in that business will do. Just treat it like all the other advertising in the media and ignore it. I would never take his recommendation on any product from a company that is paying him to push it.
As far as being weary of discussion of gun rights topics, when we quit paying attention to them, we won't have gun rights to discuss. We can be like shooters in Great Britain and Australia and talk about the gun rights we used to have.

iamkris
January 5, 2008, 09:39 AM
but it sounded to me more like 'Gun Rights Talk'

Frankly I find that about the only interesting part of the show. I swear that 80% of the callers make me embarrassed to be a gun owners.

A few of the people are noobies...everyone has to start somewhere so that's OK...but many of those folks are talking out of their excrement orifice...pathetic

echo5tango
January 5, 2008, 03:17 PM
I tried his podcast, but it sounded to me more like 'Gun Rights Talk', a topic I am (for better or worse) growing weary of. I'll try some of the others recommended here. Thanks!

funny, i find it more lacking in 'gun rights talk' ... then again, I don't see anything wrong at all with talking about my rights.

sailortoo
January 5, 2008, 03:32 PM
+1 for "The Shooting Bench" - Cope is my local FFL and all around gun store and a CCW trainer. I had no idea that his program was national. Interesting posts, as some of us old guys really don't know enough about the newer electronic gadgets and computer programs available.
sailortoo
Semper Paratus (also)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun related Pod casts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!