Two Questions....

PDA

IThunter
January 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
I am new to reloading so please bear with me...

After reading my Speers reloading manual I have noticed that is mentions several times not to substitute components...I can buy that to a point but what about brass? They tested with Winchester...does that mean I shouldn't use my Remington Brass?

Also, while decapping I broke my decapping pin out of my RCBS Universal Decapping Die :banghead:...would anyone know the part number for that? I checked the catalog with RCBS and only found the entire unit.

Thanks for all the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Questions...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
90164 - HEADED DECAPPING PIN 5-PACK $ 2.95
49630 - HEADED DECAPPING PIN 50-PACK $ 13.95
9609 - DECAPPING PIN 5-PACK LG $ 2.95
49629 - DECAPPING PIN LG 50-BULK PACK $ 12.95
9608 - DECAPPING PIN 5-PACK SM $ 2.95
49628 - DECAPPING PIN SM 50-BULK PACK $ 12.95
9602 - DECAP PIN .50 BMG 2-PACK $ 5.95

Yes, you can generally substitute cases without too much undue concern.

There are exceptions, such as military brass, and anytime you are already using a maximum load. If in doubt, you can weigh cases and compare them. If they weight more, they have less internal capacity and max loads should be approached with caution.

Bullets are more critical due to differences in jacket hardness, bullet shape effecting bearing surface, lead, jacketed, or plated (Speer Gold-Dot for instance), etc. Use the bullet called for in the load data.

Primers are primers. If the data says use magnum primers use them. Doesn't matter much who makes them.
If it says standard primers, any brand of standard primer will work fine.

This goes without saying, you should always work up loads anytime you detour off the prescribed components called for.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

ForneyRider
January 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have limited experience reloading as well.

I am going straight off the recipe until I get a little more time in.

All the components are different. Federal magnum rifle is not equal to Winchester or CCI or Remington, etc.

I have a Nosler book and bought components that matched the load data including: brass, primers, powder and bullets. I full-length sized the .41 mag(Straight wall case) and did the min. load for H110. But I relied on the Auto-disk chart and did not verify the powder with a scale. I shot those and they worked great, except for the few I didn't seat the primer fully.

I have worked up to max loads in Nosler book with excellent results. In the Nosler book, the max load for H110 is compressed so I stopped there.

Federal primers have been hard to come by lately so I may deviate off to CCI.

Vern Humphrey
January 3, 2008, 01:26 PM
My recommendation is to weight brass -- if one lot or brand weights significantly more than another, you need to go back and work up a load when you switch brands. This is because the heavier lot has less internal capacity, which will result in higher pressures.

Of course, if the weight difference is small, and you don't push the envelope, you don't need to worry.

IThunter
January 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
Man you cant beat turn around time like this...thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Questions...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!