Tumbling loaded rounds...

PDA

hsiddall
January 3, 2008, 03:32 PM
Ive always thaought that this was an obvious no no. Now Ive read here several times that people do it. If it safely works out it would speed up my .223 reloading greatly. PS thanx to this board Ive only purchased 20 rounds of ammo in the last six months and 400 int the last year and that was for brass. Lets all keep up the good work and keep crnkin em out. Yah i know components are going up but so is factory ammo plus this is more fun:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling loaded rounds..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoney
January 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
I started loading in 1960, but didn't get a tumbler til early 90's (Too soon old, too late smart.).

I tumble every cartridge that has been lubed during the loading process, and have done so with thousands of them since 1994.

rcmodel
January 3, 2008, 04:39 PM
Won't hurt a thing if you don't forget and leave the tumbler running for a couple of days.

In that case, it is possible, in theory at least, for powder granules to get ground down in size, turn to dust, and change to a faster burn rate.

With that said, I do it quite often, just not to extremes.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Walkalong
January 3, 2008, 05:40 PM
Tumbled plenty of rounds. Like rcmodel said, just don't run off and forget them.:eek:

JDGray
January 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
I tumble everything but HPs:)

ny32182
January 3, 2008, 07:24 PM
Has there ever been a documented occurance of tumbling loaded rounds being the root cause of an excess pressure situation?

jmorris
January 3, 2008, 08:32 PM
I don’t run dirty brass in my dies and to tumble, reload then tumble again seems like something a politician would come up with. That being said my grandfather “tumbled” a hundred rounds or so behind the seat of his pickup for most of my life and they always worked.

evan price
January 3, 2008, 11:27 PM
Manufacturers tumble their finished ammo to polish them for sale.
The tumblers cause ammo to become dangerous myth has been around forever.
Ammo is subjected to lots more vibration during transport.

On another forum they had a guy who tumbled different ammo with different powders for literally days and days and broke them open to discover- no change in the powder.

Sport45
January 4, 2008, 12:34 AM
If tumbling was unsafe for the propellant in loaded rounds I'd think the military would have problems with ammo spending days or weeks in their vehicles. The ammo cans aren't exactly getting a cushy ride.

For that matter, loaded ammunition for civilians doesn't get any special treatment in shipping by truck or rail. I'm sure it gets subjected to much vibration on it's way to the store.

strat81
January 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've tumbled a bunch of loaded 9mm and M2 30-06. No problems.

You may get media in the tip of a hollowpoint or possibly deform the tip, but that's all I can think of.

frankd4
January 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have run lots of 223 in my tumbler to get the case lube off never an issue.

herohog
January 4, 2008, 03:27 PM
I made the mistake of ordering "loose 8mm Mauser" from "Cheaper Than Dirt" once. The stuff looked like it came out of the hold of a ship sunk back during WWI! :eek: Tumbled it enough to get the green fuzz off of it and shot what would fire (AFTER trying in vain to get them to take the cr@p back) which was about %65, the rest either needed multiple primer strikes, hang-fired (click.....BOOM) or were duds. :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling loaded rounds..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!