Lubing 9mm

PDA

ammopoor
January 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hey guys sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I was reading my reloading manual and it suggested lubing the brass every 3rd or 4th round. It said due to the fact of the 9mm brass having a slight taper. I'm assuming this step is during the resizing of the case I'm going to use Lee deluxe carbide die set and just need to know if you guys do this step? I will continue to read the manual before beginning to load. thanks for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubing 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kimbernut
January 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've heard of some lubing the longer cases such as the magnums and .45 Colt but I have never seen the need when using carbide sizing dies.

Ed Gallop
January 3, 2008, 07:53 PM
I size 9mm in a carbide factory crimp die and do not lube. Never had a problem. Ed.

evan price
January 3, 2008, 10:28 PM
Whenever I setup after changing caliber I clean my dies and give the sizer a shot of silicon spray. Other than that, being carbide, they don't need lube, but on large cases, it makes them size easier.

caz223
January 4, 2008, 07:04 AM
I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my brass.
It strips off all traces of lube. And everything else, for that matter.
If you run one up the sizing die after it has been through the ultrasonic.........
I guaranteee it would tear the rim off if you could even get it all the way into the die.
I use hornady one shot (Which is fine for pistol brass, but I wouldn't use it on rifle brass.) and everything works out all right.
I load progressive in stages, decap/resize brass, let it dry, inspect it, then load it on my dillon 550.
Alles gut.

Incidentally, I lube it before I decap/resize it because I do that progressively on a loadmaster, lubing saves my arm.

Walkalong
January 4, 2008, 07:54 AM
I use Frankford Arsenal polish in my tumbler. The brass comes out shiney clean and just a tad slippery. Never use lube in my carbide sizers. I have found brand new Starline to be a bit tougher to size the first time though.

Grandpa Shooter
January 4, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have lost track of how many tens of thousands 9mm, 38, 357, 40 and 45 I have loaded on my Dillon 550B and have NEVER lubed a single case. If its clean it wil go. I do clean the ram occasionally but that's it.

zxcvbob
January 4, 2008, 12:23 PM
You don't need to lube them at all, but you will be surprised by how much force it takes to resize 9mm's because of the taper. If you have a .38 Special die, which is ever-so-slighty smaller than a 9mm but straight-sided, try sizing a 9mm case with a .38 die and see how much easier it goes.

(I'm not recommending using a .38 die for sizing 9mm cases because it will overwork the brass.)

rcmodel
January 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, I give all pistol brass a light shot of One-Shot case lube, and then stir them around in the container I pick them up out of as I size them.
This probably gets a least a little lube on 50% of them.

It is not necessary to lube pistol cases with carbide dies.
But they sure go in slick & easy with just a trace of lube on them!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

ArchAngelCD
January 4, 2008, 02:49 PM
Even though you aren't supposed to need lube with Carbide dies I've found it is easier to spray a little One Shot on my 9mm cases before running them through the dies to make things a little easier. I figured if it makes things easier, why not. No harm done IMO. For some reason 9mm cases are harder to resize then the longer cases like .38 Specials or even the thicker .357 Magnum cases.

Shoney
January 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
The key to "no lube" is having clean cases. As has been mentioned, a tsp. of car wax in the tumbler media will ensure that no lube is needed.

Noxx
January 4, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ditto several posts above, I use clean brass and a carbide die, I don't "need" to lube but a quick mist with One Shot does make everything run with much less effort.

RustyFN
January 4, 2008, 08:44 PM
I don't lube any pistol cases. It just seems like unnessessary work to have to clean the lube off after to me. I'm with Shoney. I use Nu Finish car polish in my tumbler media and carbide dies and have never had any trouble.
Rusty

ArchAngelCD
January 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
RustyFN,
One Shot is a spray lube which is very light and doesn't require cleaning. You don't have to clean it off because it isn't like case sizing lube.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubing 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!