woo snagged me a colt!

PDA

briansp82593
January 3, 2008, 07:50 PM
well, i took the plunge, walked into the gunshop with my mind set on a ruger sp101, look directly across the shop, there it was screaming my name, a nice colt combat commander, lots of finish wear, but the inside was spotless... it has a new adj trigger, 2 piece guiderod, and a set of wilson combat sights, sadly no original grips, it comes with the ugly pachmayrs.... i put it on layaway tonight since i only had 180 with me and i didnt want to break out the visa... did i mention i got it for only 475? im pretty sure thats a good deal

If you enjoyed reading about "woo snagged me a colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
January 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
Nice. :)

I got me a used Colt CCO(Commander w/ and Officer's frame) a while back for $500. I have never regretted it. I love that gun.

If it's well used, you might want to invest a twenty spot in a Wolf Service pack (http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#CmdrServPak) and replace all the springs in that puppy.

briansp82593
January 3, 2008, 08:02 PM
i plan on getting it refinished but a spring kit doesnt sound like a bad idea... oh and if anyone is wondering its a series 70 in 45

DMK
January 3, 2008, 08:04 PM
its a series 70
Nice. again. :)

weisse52
January 3, 2008, 08:07 PM
A Colt is always the right answer! A 70 series is an excellent pistol when you can find them. I like the Ruger, but it will be alot eaiser to find again than a nice Colt.

PakWaan
January 3, 2008, 08:12 PM
Congratulations! Have you considered the Colt royal blue? Gorgeous blue.....

briansp82593
January 3, 2008, 08:15 PM
yeah i really like blued guns, a nice hot blueing (sp?) with a set of wood grips would sure make this a nice gun.

PakWaan
January 3, 2008, 08:29 PM
Colt's royal blue is the most amazing color I've ever seen on a gun - they will do it for the same price as regular bluing.

briansp82593
January 3, 2008, 08:31 PM
colt still does the blueing like they used to? if it looks anything like the anaconda :eek::what: nib i saw while i was at the gunshop, it will be worth every dime.

HisSoldier
January 3, 2008, 08:36 PM
I had one years ago, nickeled. I bought a Bomar full length rib adjustable sight, they were the rage then. The gunsmith I gave it over to to install the sight managed to get it on tilted to one side. I was upset, never said anything to him though. I drilled the holes out over sized and peened mild steel bolt sections in place, then redrilled and tapped the holes in the right places and got it on straight. My experiences with gunsmiths have been like that, with one exception recently. I do my own smithing now. That Combat Commander was a great gun after that.

PakWaan
January 3, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, you can send your gun to Colt and they will re-blue it for $200.00.

DMK
January 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
colt still does the blueing like they used to? if it looks anything like the anaconda nib i saw while i was at the gunshop, it will be worth every dime.I don't think it was the blueing itself that made those guns look so nice. It was the pre-blue polishing.

1911Tuner
January 3, 2008, 11:52 PM
Nice find. Sounds like a "Carried a lot and rarely shot" example. I like a little holster wear on a workin' gun. That says that it's been put to work, instead of loungin' around in a safe, showin' off for the dinner guests. :cool:

Oh...And there are no Series 70 Commanders...Combat or otherwise.

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
are you sure?
i looked under the slide i didnt find a plunger...
heres a pic not mine but the same gun

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/beretta96/cc1.jpg

MICHAEL T
January 4, 2008, 12:31 AM
Ditch the guide rod and return it to orginal set up I also agree the pacs need to go.

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
yeah im not a fan of flgr's i like the old look of a checkered spring stop in the front, and i really like that it wont cut the skin on your thumb when you dont have a bushing wrench

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 12:35 AM
tuner, heres a link i found, i must have one of the early ones... :evil::what::eek:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/colt_combat_commander.htm

Hunter0924
January 4, 2008, 01:09 AM
Series 70 denotes a collet barrel bushing and accursizer barrel, neither were offered in a Commander.
There are Series 80 Commanders and Pre Series 80 Commanders.
Nice find though, the Commanders and excellent pistols and it is a Colt.

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 01:33 AM
what ive heard is that the differences between the 70's and 80's is that the 70's didnt come with a firing pin safety (drop safety) and the 80's series did.

Hacker15E
January 4, 2008, 02:24 AM
what ive heard is that the differences between the 70's and 80's is that the 70's didnt come with a firing pin safety (drop safety) and the 80's series did.

It's a matter of nomenclature here.

Government-length Colts were actually called "Series 70", had features specific to that nomenclature (e.g. collet bushing) and were made in the 1970s. Commanders made in the 1970s were just that...Commanders. They never had the collet bushing, nor had the name "Series 70".

A Commander made in the 1970s is just a "Commander" or "Combat Commander".

jon_in_wv
January 4, 2008, 04:00 AM
I picked up a series 80 combat commander from the pawn shop the other day. $575 and it has nice bluing with a few flaws, Ahrends grips, a steel checkered mainspring housing and an aftermarket trigger. The only downsides were the previous owner had put on some grip tape on the front strap. I'm not sure what that has done to the finish underneath it and the plunger in the slide for the firing pin lock is missing. The lever that acts on the plunger is also broken. I ordered all of the parts for the firing pin lock from Brownells for 25.00. I think I still made out pretty well.

1911Tuner
January 4, 2008, 06:01 AM
Brian...None of the Colts had a firing pin safety prior to the introduction of the Series 80s. Commanders made in the 50s aren't called "Series 50s."

Hunter and Hacker set it straight. All Series 70 pistols were 5-inch guns.

The 70S or 80S in the serial number is just a serial prefix. Here's my minty Combat Commander with 80B in the prefix...but there are no Series 80 firing pin safety parts contained within...I promise. ;)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/1911Tuner/CombatCommander2.jpg

Hacker15E
January 4, 2008, 07:54 AM
Tuner -

Lovely little pistol.

One of these days I'm going to have to bring my nickel Combat Commander to your place for your expert eye....followed, of course, by an afternoon at the range wringin' it out!!

1911Tuner
January 4, 2008, 11:07 AM
followed, of course, by an afternoon at the range wringin' it out!!

Hacker...You say when, and we'll leave the light on for ya.

Hey! I wonder the landin' strip over at the Lexington Regional airport will accomodate that big ol' Eagle... :scrutiny:

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 11:27 AM
ok that cleared it up, thanks... i know im a colt noob :o

1911Tuner
January 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
ok that cleared it up, thanks... i know im a colt noob

It's a pretty common misuse of the term, actually. Saying that a given 1911...Colt, Springfield, etc. is a "Series 70" has become a catch-phrase for letting us know that it doesn't have any extra parts that block the firing pin.
Even Colt has fallen into using it. It's quick and doesn't require a longer explanation, but it's sorta like saying that a Clackamas Kimber is a
"Series 1" when there never were any Series 1 Kimbers any more than there were Series 70 Springfields.

It's a small issue, and the main reason that I bring attention to it is because if you have your gun dealer keep you on a calling list in case a Series 70 Commander comes in...you'll be in for a long wait unless he also knows the score.

briansp82593
January 4, 2008, 02:33 PM
well at dennys guns here in MO, the guy i know that works there is steve, i wish i could remember his last name, but he said he worked at wilson as one of their gunsmiths so i trust him when it comes to 1911s :D

Hacker15E
January 5, 2008, 01:33 AM
Hacker...You say when, and we'll leave the light on for ya.

Hey! I wonder the landin' strip over at the Lexington Regional airport will accomodate that big ol' Eagle...

Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the land where the Queen's subjects are disarmed, and us visiting Yanks aren't allowed to exercise those rights we have back in the US of A.

There are actually a lot of things I like about the UK, but not being able to defend myself nor participate in my second favorite sport is a deal-breaker for me.

I'll be back sometime in '09...and a visit to central NC is on the list, without a doubt!

If you enjoyed reading about "woo snagged me a colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!