Several questions about reassembling surplus

PDA

ny32182
January 4, 2008, 12:16 PM
I am a new reloader. Last night I pulled bullets on 40 rounds of Paki 7.62x51. My intent is to try to bring some more consistency to this ammo by reassembing with a more even measure of powder and seating with a more uniform OAL than they came from the factory.

Anyhow, I have a few questions.

First, the bullets are boat-tailed, and will therefore get started back down into the case without putting the case through a sizer die first.

My first question is, do I have to run the cases through a sizer die for any reason?

If you enjoyed reading about "Several questions about reassembling surplus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
30Cal
January 4, 2008, 01:46 PM
Try and see.

The usual method is to pull the bullet (you may need to seat it a bit first to break the seal), throw the bullet in the trash, use the powder charge as-is and then seat a Sierra 150gr Match on top. Powder charge consistancy matters very little until you get to extremes.

Uniform OAL may hurt more than help--ALL bullets vary in length from one to the next and it can be by quite a lot. What you want is for the ogive length to be the same. Assuming your dies are working, then it'll be automatic since the die pushes near the ogive and not on the tip.

ny32182
January 4, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hmm... well, I don't have any other bullets to use right at the moment. This is the info I recorded yesterday:

OAL: Low was 2.784", high was 2.794", average was 2.787".
Powder charge: Low was 44.3gr, high was 45.6gr, average was 45.0gr.
Bullet weight: Low was 144.9gr, high was 147.6gr, average was 146.288gr

So balancing those charges is not likely to make any difference in performance? Are these numbers considered large variances within the same lot of ammo?

What is the exact definition of "ogive length"? Thanks...

ny32182
January 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Also, if I re-seat the surplus bullets, do I need to clean the sealant off them first? If so, what should I use to do this? And how do I know if my re-seating was fully successful or not (dimensions of the neck I assme)? Thanks,

30Cal
January 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
That is quite a bit of charge variation. If it was +/- 0.3grs, I'd not worry about it.

Just reseat them. There's sealant on the inside of the case necks too that you won't be able to get at.

If the bullets don't wiggle around, they're good.

What I was talking about with the ogive is that you want a consistent bullet jump before it gets into the rifling. So the measurement that matter is the distance up to that point on bullet that contacts the rifling--the ogive.

res45
January 5, 2008, 08:55 PM
Read this post see what you think of how i do it and my results.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=34731.0

ny32182
January 5, 2008, 10:56 PM
What I ended up doing for the first batch of 40 rounds was just pulling the bullets, evening up the charge weights, and reseating and crimping the bullets. I did get a little more consistency, though there were still some flyers. I will post some group pictures when I get a chance.

I'm thinking of sizing and trimming the brass for the next iteration. Though I fear that these bullets may simply be terribly inconsistent, with not much I can do about it.

Maybe at the end of the day I will just try to use the primed cases with new powder and bullets. The ammo is pretty much unusable for any real application as is. I guess I could just turn the gas on my FAL way up, hope it will cycle all of them, and shoot it up in three gun sometime.

If you enjoyed reading about "Several questions about reassembling surplus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!