Beretta 92 or Taurus 92, best trigger?

PDA

Jkwas
January 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm on the fence about these two guns. Which has the best trigger and fit/finish? The money isn't the issue right now, I just want some honest input from people who have shot both. I already know both are good guns and I would have no problem with either one, I just want the best shooter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 or Taurus 92, best trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kd7nqb
January 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have shot both, for the record the Beretta I shot was a 92fs dont know if that matters for this point. But I HATED the trigger on the Taurus too long and just didnt feel right. I assumed it was just a cheaper mechanism since its on a cheaper gun but for me that trigger would be a deal breaker.

R12GS
January 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
Better trigger and fit and finish goes to Beretta. The Taurus has a better safety decocker location though. For the price the Taurus is hard to beat, however Beretta 92FS aren't as expensive as they used to be, so really its a toss up. I personally would go with the 92FS.

SouthpawShootr
January 4, 2008, 11:14 PM
Current pricing to the contrary, the Beretta is a $500-600 gun while the Taurus is a $300-400 gun. To me it shows up in 3 places: 1- the Beretta has a better trigger 2- Overall, the action on the Beretta is smoother 3- Fit/finish is superior (although the blued finish on the Taurus is quite nice). Put a couple thousand rounds through a Taurus and it'll end up as smooth as the Beretta is from the box. A few things can be done for the trigger. Some judicious polishing and changing the mainspring will have positive effects. Personally, I'm not gonna mess with my Taurus. I'm going to shoot the hell out of it and do the same for my Beretta.

TimboKhan
January 5, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, I own, shoot and generally really like the Taurus 92, but even I have to admit that the Beretta has a better trigger. That isn't to say that the Taurus trigger is horrible, and it isn't to say that it won't get better through shooting. I'm just saying that if you compared the triggers of two new guns side by side, I bet the Beretta wins that contest every time.

rbernie
January 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have, ah, more than a handful of Taurus PT92s. They range in age from early pre-decocker models to PT92AFs.

Not one of them has a trigger like its stable mates. The variability in the Taurus triggers (specifically SA mode) was actually one of the biggest surprises to me, as I accumulated a few of 'em.

The best of the lot is quite acceptable. The worst is, by my standards, not. Most of them in SA mode hover in that 'combat-acceptable' area - a fair amount of take-up, significant stacking, and a hard break probably around 7lb-8lbs. DA is mo' consistent - lots of stacking thru a long stroke but relatively similar between examples.

The QA/QC that you're buying for the Beretta's extra dollars will in part ensure that the trigger is a bit better, but more importantly will ensure that it is more consistant from gun to gun.

Black Adder LXX
January 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
Beretta, hands down...

SwampWolf
January 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
Regarding the price differential, Berettas seem to be getting cheaper to buy. Last month, I purchased a NIB 92FS with three magazines for $429.99 plus tax from our local sporting goods store (they were running a "special" and had plenty on hand). One thing's for sure (something buyers don't always consider at the time of purchase), Berettas might not be better than Taurus but they will always have a higher resell value.

Frandy
January 5, 2008, 04:23 PM
Regarding the price differential, Berettas seem to be getting cheaper to buy.

One thing's for sure...they will always have a higher resell (sic) value.

:scrutiny:

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.) :evil:

Oh, the question. Beretta.

10-Ring
January 5, 2008, 06:22 PM
I own 2 Italian Berettas & learned to really like them because of their triggers. I was not so impressed w/ the US made 92s but even those triggers have gotten ALOT better over the years & are head and shoulders better than the Tauri regardless of vintage

brigadier
January 5, 2008, 10:06 PM
The good thing about Berettas is their triggers are very easy to tune without making them dangerous. I would imagine the same is true about Taurus. I always keep a zero creek, zero drag on all of my guns triggers, and the Berettas were the easiest to do as of yet. It only takes me maybe a half an hour to do a perfect Beretta trigger job AND have the gun back together.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 or Taurus 92, best trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!