Federal personal defense .38spl 110 gr.

PDA

MR.G
July 26, 2003, 08:36 PM
Federal Personal Defense .38 SPL. 110 grain Hydra-Shok (not +P)
Has anyone seen or done any tests with this ammo, fired from a short barrel revolver? Anyone use it in their carry revolver ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal personal defense .38spl 110 gr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Byron
July 26, 2003, 09:09 PM
I did a very unscientific test with the ammo. I fired from a 4" S&W straight down into a 5 gallon buckett of water. The bottom had several inches of cloth soaked to stop the bullet. The distance was about 3 yards. It penetrated the several inches of water and went through the bottom of the thick plastic bottom and into the soft ground. Tried it again and the same thing. Byron

Kentucky Rifle
July 27, 2003, 10:07 AM
I have it in one of my .38's. Seems to be OK.

KR

Jim March
July 27, 2003, 10:21 AM
Somebody did some chrono testing of these from a 2" S&W - and a 38, not a 357 gun. www.firearmstactical.com - now, those guys are "die hard Facklerites" but their raw data on ammo performance has so far been on target. In other words, you can debate 'em all day long about "penetration versus expansion" and that's fine, but if they tell you the Fed 110 Personal Defense load won't break 800fps with a hurricane tailwind, you can pretty much take it to the bank.

And THAT is the situation.

Basically, it's a great projectile. Too bad it's got the typical sucky Federal wimp-o-matic powder charge behind it :fire:.

I swear to God, guys, it ain't just this load. All things being equal, Federal wimps out. Bigtime. Not 100% of the time, but often enough that I don't ever trust the stuff.

And this load is a classic example, esp. when they claim they "tuned the powder charge for 2" snubbies". Jesus, I'd hate to see what the numbers would look like if it was NOT "tuned" :barf:.

Feel free to load it in your gun. You won't catch it in mine.

The annoying part is, Federal has a lock on several really good projectiles, such as the Hydrashock and E-FMJ. Now if they'd just give us THAT LAST 100FPS THEY'RE HOLDING BACK :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal personal defense .38spl 110 gr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!