Glock 19 or Sprinfield XD9?

PDA

garrettej8
January 4, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm stuck between both of these guns. I currently have a S&W 40VE Sigma. It's a great gun, don't get me wrong, but I'd like something with a better trigger and a better after market for accessories.

I've shot the XD9 before but it's been a while. I really liked the feel of it and all the safety features. I feel the glock would feel great too but they have a lot more accessories it seems. I'm sure this have been covered many times before but what would THR choose?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 or Sprinfield XD9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
weisse52
January 4, 2008, 11:51 PM
I choose to carry a Glock 19.

May I ask what kind of accessories you are looking at? My Glock has proven to be 100% reliable and is 100% stock. The ONLY Glocks I see that are not 100% reliable have been "enhanced".

PirateRadio
January 5, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm trying to decide between the same two guns myself. Not for concealed carry though, just as something to take to the range and kill some paper.

Evocatii
January 5, 2008, 12:29 AM
Having shot both, I found that the Glock to have a much longer trigger pull than the XD. Also, I found that the natural point of aim was better for me with the XD. The XD was my pick because of these two reasons.

mikec
January 5, 2008, 12:33 AM
My $0.02 here... I own an XD in .45, like it a lot. I have rented some Glock, forget which one, it was OK. I don't like the feel of the Glock in MY hand. Have you shot the Glock? How do you like it? Try both and then flip a coin. Remember you are the one who has to live with it.

BTW, everything I have heard about the S&W M&P guns has been positive, why not consider one?

Why type of after market accessories are you looking for? What do you want to change?

garrettej8
January 5, 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I have not shot the glock yet but I am going to see how it feels compared to the xd tomorrow probably. Accessory wise, I'd like a more variety of laser sights and possibly a suppressor later on. I really like my S&W 40VE but I'd rather have a 9mm. I guess both the guns have their positives and negatives but I'm sure they're both great fun to shoot and I'm sure I won't make a bad choice in choosing either one. I'm leaning towards the xd9 however.

JaxNovice
January 5, 2008, 09:35 AM
I am having the same dilema right now, except I am also considering an SP2022

loki.fish
January 5, 2008, 09:40 AM
I haven't fired an XD9, but have fired an XD40 subcompact. Glock wise, I've only fired the G26. Just from those experiences I like the XD more than the Glock as the XD felt more comfortable in my hand. The little finger cutout things on the Glock grips are uncomfortable to me. I prefer the straight grip to the contoured to fingers grip. Hope ya get what I'm saying, cuz I honestly can't think of better wording for it. :confused:

Ringer
January 5, 2008, 10:06 AM
Just went through this myself. Rented both and ended up with the Glock. Don't think you can go wrong either way. After a few hundred rounds I really like the trigger. Once I got used to the reset point, follow up shots are fast and accurate for me. I also think Glock hit the size just right. The grip is just long enough for me to get a full grip with no "extra" to conceal. My issue has always been the finger grooves not lining up and has kept me from buying Glock in the past. I'm going to have them removed to remedy that.

Hopefully you get a chance to shoot both. I think you will be happy with either that you choose.

Silvanus
January 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, 50/50 right now;) I voted Glock. But both are fine handguns. Get the one that fits your hands best.

possum
January 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
i owned a xd and a glock 19, i now own 2 xd's and no glocks. the glocks are great and they work they are accurate and reliable. they just don't work for me. i prefer the grip, and feel of the xd as well as other small features here and there on the xd line over the glock line. plus my xd's have been just as reliable and accurate as any glock that i have owned or shot.

eflatminor
January 5, 2008, 11:15 AM
When I was looking for a cheap home defense gun with a light rail I too was torn between the Glock and the XD, although I was interested in .45 cal. I shot both extensively (there's an indoor range here in LA that has TONS of pistols you can try out for $5). I much preferred the XD and ended up buying one. The big thing for me was feel in the hand (pointability?) and the trigger, each of which was superior on the XD. That said, neither hold a light to a proper all steel 1911. Had I to do it all over again, I would have bought a real 1911, probably the Springfield Operator. More money no doubt but I just can't get into plastic pistols. I would look into a used 1911 if I were you.

1911RjB
January 5, 2008, 11:17 AM
I voted XD. But again as it was said before, both are fine handguns. rent both and shoot it out and then decide...

JDGray
January 5, 2008, 11:48 AM
I've owed both, about the same accuracy wise, but the Glock has the better trigger. With a 3.5 connector, the pull goes down to a perfect 4#, the reset and pretravel on the Glock is much shorter. You can buy parts for the Glock:D

Steelharp
January 5, 2008, 12:24 PM
I can only speak for me, but having done both, I still have the Glock. I wanted to love the XD, I really did, but it just didn't shoot as well for me. Too top heavy, too high above my grip; the Glock just settles in right where it should, much lower bore axis, far more controllable.

W.E.G.
January 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
I won't even consider owning a gun for which the manufacturer won't sell parts to an owner.

garrettej8
January 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
I went with the xd9. While it's true that both guns are absolutely awesome, the xd9 felt better in my hands and that's all it came down to really.

Dobe
January 5, 2008, 04:07 PM
I would also prefer the XD. The ergomonics make the difference.

GVMan
January 5, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have shot both and I think the reseting trigger on the Glock is much better than the trigger on the XD.

I don't think the safety features on an XD are worth anything because I can't see how they would prevent someone from an accidental discharge. The two ways I see this happening would be:

A: While holstering with a finger still on the trigger, and
B: While picking up the gun and accidentally slipping a finger in the trigger guard while placing a thumb on the back strap.

In both of these instances the grip safety on the XD would be pushed in and the pistol would fire. So, I'd rather just be careful when holstering and handling the pistol and have the trigger system of the Glock.

Also the firing pin indicator doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know by using the chamber indicator that both pistols have.

I don't worry too much about the ergonomics. Mostly because the Glock angle works well for me. Must be the Austro-Hungarian gene pool that I swim in. But also because I believe humans are very adaptable and after shooting the new Glock for a while you will adapt anyway. Unless you alternate frequently between two different pistols that have different grip angles. In that case I would sell the other pistol and buy two Glocks! :evil:

PS: You can buy replacement parts for a Glock from just about anyone including Glock.

DerbyDale
January 5, 2008, 04:36 PM
XD

Since Springfield has changed to the new melonite finish (which is the same finish as Glocks just a different trade name) I think the XD can hold it’s own, if not beat the Glock.

Some of the improvements/advantages (at least to me) are:

*Fully Supported Chamber
*Ability to shoot lead rounds(steal targets) & reloads
*Grip Angle (points naturally straighter like a 1911)
*Grip+Trigger Safety
*Loaded chamber and cocking indicator
*Sights made of metal, not plastic
*Trigger is made of metal, not plastic
*Guide Rod is made of metal, not plastic
*True ambi mag release
*Springfield’s Lifetime Warranty and Customer Service

Personally I like the looks of the XD over the Glock. To me Glocks looks like they fell out of the plastic ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. If Glock were to make their pistols look like a Hi-Point it would be an improvement on their aesthetics. :p

esol
January 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
i rented and shot several Glocks and XDs when i was looking to purchase my first handgun.
in the end i chose the XD as it fit my hand better and i shot more accurately with it

i have just over 1000 rounds through mine with no issues at all
i am very happy with my choice

PCRit
January 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
The G19 was my first Glock many years ago.

The XD9 replaced the G19 because the grip angle of the XD is more natural and comfortable for me (similar grip to CZ and 1911).

I replaced all my my Gs with XDs and never looked back:D

TBT
January 5, 2008, 05:11 PM
The G19 is one of if not the ultimate 9mm handgun IMHO.

10-Ring
January 5, 2008, 06:16 PM
Glock 19 won my support :D

shooter1
January 5, 2008, 08:13 PM
Glock 19.
str1

JBP55
January 6, 2008, 07:55 PM
Both fine guns, but you can buy parts and work on a Glock.

mc30707
January 6, 2008, 08:08 PM
I own both, carry the g19, smaller, but I like the XD9 better (grip angle)

FPrice
January 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have no experience with any XD's but I do have a lot of Glock experience and almost all of it has been good. I particularly like the G19 and the G26. So that is where my vote went.

davidjblythe
January 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
I own and carry a Glock 19.

I had set aside a large sum of money and could choose from nearly every manufacturer. In the end, I decided on Glock. I have not regretted the decision.

h-word
January 6, 2008, 08:15 PM
I have to say XD.

possum
January 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
Had I to do it all over again, I would have bought a real 1911, probably the Springfield Operator. More money no doubt but I just can't get into plastic pistols. I would look into a used 1911 if I were you.
don't feel bad you got a great gun and 13+1 in a great frame size. btw i have a sa operator the mc operator and i love it, you should definetly get one to add to the collection. the great thig is that they are so much alike, grip angle wise that i can shoot the xd's and then 1911 and vise versa and i am g2g.

I won't even consider owning a gun for which the manufacturer won't sell parts to an owner.
the majority of the parts that you would need to swap out are avaliable on the net at places like www.pistolgear.com and i am sure that more and more will be comming avaliabl, so this is becomming an invalid excuse. i personally shoot and ttain with guns, i don't like to or want to replace parts etc, that is what sa 's outstandig customer service is for, let them do it they are the pros. i have back ups and guns that can fill in in case any of my guns go down and they have to go back to the maker.

possum
January 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
in my experience the glock and the xd are totally different and you shoot and or like one over the other and perform better with one over the other, there are very few that have both and like both, they are very different, ie grip angle, ergos, grip girth etc. you shoul try out the 2 and see what fits you best. you might get one and like it, and then sometime down the road try out the other and be like man i really love his gun better than the other, trying them out will save you alot of time and money and will allow you to make the best decision.

Harley Quinn
January 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
Well it is neck and neck 50/50 or so. The thing I like about the Glock, is there are barrels you can shoot that are different. But the one you are asking about is pretty much a 9 mm.

So, the safe that goes with the xd is better. The point and shoot are both good, the grips are slightly different.

The Glock is my own choice, you will have to decide for yourself that is true.

If you are "not" depressing the grip safe you can "not" rack it open nor will the trigger work, both a good deal I think. :uhoh: That is the XD.

Autolycus
January 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
I voted for the GLock. I like the fact you can buy parts for it. Not to mention it is much more customizable then the XD9.

Either way, each is a good gun. You cant go wrong with either.

PhillyGlocker
January 6, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well, you know what my answer's going to be.

possum
January 6, 2008, 10:52 PM
Well, you know what my answer's going to be.
cheese steak?:)

HOLY DIVER
January 6, 2008, 11:01 PM
i've had them both and was not happy with either! i guess if you get used to shooting a colt 1911 a rubbermaid pistol can't compare infact i got mad when i figured out how inaccurate the xd and glock where buy a 1911 or a browning high power

Harley Quinn
January 6, 2008, 11:31 PM
I've had them both and was not happy with either! i guess if you get used to shooting a colt 1911 a rubbermaid pistol can't compare infact i got mad when i figured out how inaccurate the xd and glock where buy a 1911 or a browning high power

I have found the Glocks very accurate. I bought one used from a dealer who bought it back from a guy who wanted another 1911, so for some it must be true. Off the shelf the Glock is more accurate than my govt 1911 a1. By a bunch.:)

gallo
January 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have an XD9 two tone stainless. It shoots to the point of aim, fits like glove. The safety grip alone, not to mention looks, made me decide for it instead of the glock.

Ever wondered how glock and block rhyme.

Quack
January 7, 2008, 12:30 AM
bought a XD40 tactical a few years back. it was OK, but i prefer the feel of the Glocks. also there are plenty of parts available for the Glocks. outside of the frame, slaid and barrel, you can replace most of the seperate internal parts for less than $10.

not sure on the XD (haven't looked) but with the Glocks you can buy a .40 (like a G23) then buy an aftermarket barrel conversion to make it a 9mm. i did this a few years back when i was trying to find a G17L and came across a G24 for a good deal. bought a KKM barrel to shoot 9's out of it.

so there is no wrong choice between the 2, find one that points naturally for you and feels good in your hands.

Halo is for Kids
January 7, 2008, 12:30 AM
G19 is at the top of my list.

Hanzerik
January 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
I had both at one time and I prefer the Glock 19. The XD9 seemed a little top-heavy and more bulky in the slide area. But both are very nice weapons, and I would recommend to anyone looking for a 9mm pistol to go and check them BOTH out and see which one you like better.

2TransAms
January 7, 2008, 09:35 AM
I see you went with the XD,it would've been a good call either way.

I didn't vote. I'd call them equal,shoot both and pick the one you like best.

jonboynumba1
January 7, 2008, 09:51 AM
The XD9 is slightly sweeter shooting to me but the 19 is a far better machine and carry gun IMHO. I love the way the XD's feel and shoot...the 19 is just a better design IMHO...long term. Also lower bore axis and much tougher (rust resistant) finish. The 19 also has a LONG History of proving itself at this point compared to the still somewhat newish XD's While I love several things about the XD I still trust the GLOCK design more. Then again I'm biassed I've owned 6 of them over the years. Neither one is a junker though....either should serve you well.

Autolycus
January 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
If an HK P2000 was in the mix would anyone else have voted for that?

DerbyDale
January 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
the majority of the parts that you would need to swap out are avaliable on the net at places like www.pistolgear.com and i am sure that more and more will be comming avaliabl, so this is becomming an invalid excuse. i personally shoot and ttain with guns, i don't like to or want to replace parts etc, that is what sa 's outstandig customer service is for, let them do it they are the pros. i have back ups and guns that can fill in in case any of my guns go down and they have to go back to the maker.

Well said. Parts/Upgrades/Options are no longer an issue aginst the XD. Many of the options/upgrade you could only once get for the Glock, are now (or will soon be) available for the XD.

One of the newest items that has just been made available for the XD is the Crimson Trace Laser Grips.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg446.jpg

One of the items soon to be available to the XD, is the .22 conversion kit by Advantage Arms.
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/6917/1000330il0.jpg

The XD9 is slightly sweeter shooting to me but the 19 is a far better machine and carry gun IMHO. I love the way the XD's feel and shoot...the 19 is just a better design IMHO...long term. Also lower bore axis and much tougher (rust resistant) finish. The 19 also has a LONG History of proving itself at this point compared to the still somewhat newish XD's While I love several things about the XD I still trust the GLOCK design more. Then again I'm biassed I've owned 6 of them over the years. Neither one is a junker though....either should serve you well.

That was only true with the older XDs. The new Melonite XD finish is the same thing as Glocks Tenifer finish. Its just marketed under a different trade name.

mpmarty
January 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
I've got a Glock 21 3rd gen and an XD45 and the Glock is a safe queen except for the annual Glock match here in town. The XD is more accurate, lockup is stronger, disassembly / reassembly for cleaning is more robust, trigger is better IMO than the Glock, sights are dovetailed fore and aft not cheap plastic stuck in a hole in the front of the slide. The slide retention on the XD is superior to the Glocks also, longer stronger frame rails. Downside? I hate rollpins and to remove the firing pin assy in the XD you have to drive out a rollpin. I've done it and called SA and asked them about a "spare" for when I bend the one I've got now and bless 'em they sent me half a dozen of them no charge!:)

kd7nqb
January 7, 2008, 01:47 PM
Well the poll as of right now is 74-76 adding to that there there are at least 5 people who vote "Buy a glock" in every thread including "Which AR lower should I buy" I say XD WINS /sarcasm

There both good guns by an M&P instead (Ok that was mostly a joke)

Anna's Dad
January 7, 2008, 02:50 PM
Just voted for XD-9 and was the tying vote (78 to 78)!

I just prefer them over the Glock even though both are good choices. Neither one is really for me, but I do prefer the XD-9 over the Glock.

In the interest of disclosure, I have shot Glocks but never owned one. I owned a XD-9 but later sold it.

tblt
January 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
this is a close race

offroaddiver
January 8, 2008, 12:36 AM
I voted xd on this poll.
I bought a xd9 recently and have already sent 1k+ through it. Right now it's has 147 gr hp and corbon home defense in an extra mag. I like it for the feel and how it fit my hands and it's size for ccw. I liked the fact that the first time i put a round through the gun at the range it hit where i wanted it to hit.

Will admit that I intended this as a ccw and a smaller gun for my gf to learn to shoot for competition. I liked the smile that creaped on her face when she put 10 rounds into the alpha of an IPSC target at 7 yds. been trying to get her to come shoot comp with me and i think i found the gun that's gonna get her into shooting. especially since she now wants a gun that she can paint......tactical girly purple.

garrettej8
January 8, 2008, 12:43 AM
I got some speer gold dot ammo to try out this weekend at the range, we'll see how it goes. I can't wait to shoot this thing.

Sun195
January 8, 2008, 12:53 AM
If you like the XD-9, then get that. I don't think you could go wrong with either one - go with what you like and don't worry about accessories. They're both pretty standard arms, so you should be able to find "stuff" for them.

I have a G19 (2nd Generation) and it's been a great gun. If a G19 feels good to you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that gun.

K-DUB
January 8, 2008, 01:29 AM
I have a XD in .40 and love it. Feels more natural in my hand then the Glocks I shot.
Both are fine guns though, cant go wrong with either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 or Sprinfield XD9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!