223cal case lenth

PDA

shootinxd
January 5, 2008, 08:40 AM
Just got case trimmer,tumbler,calipers,press(no dies or manual-on order)and I cant wait to get started and have cleaned aprox 200 cases.My question is the trimmer case lenth for 223,shooting AR15.:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "223cal case lenth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodregier
January 5, 2008, 09:38 AM
.223 Rem max length 1.760", recommend trim-to length 1.750"

You should read at least one manual before starting reloading, especially the general advice section. Will keep you out of trouble when handling powder and primers along with lots of other good background advice.

stubbicatt
January 5, 2008, 10:47 AM
Lee makes a very good case trimmer arrangement.

rcmodel
January 5, 2008, 12:35 PM
Get a reloading manual.
It will answer questions like this for any caliber you intend to reload.

I would strongly advise against trying to learn to reload without at least one reloading manual!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

jpwilly
January 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
I trim with the lee hand cutter setup and set it around 1.750" ish mark. Be sure you then deburr!

shootinxd
January 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
Going to read manual as soon as it shows up,shipping right now is alittle slow!Its snowing outside and I am getting BORED if you know what I mean.

WNTFW
January 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty new to bottleneck reloading too. So someone correct me if this is bad advice.

Also look into a case gauge. It will replicate chamber. It checks all the dimensions together. I caught 2 cases that had bad rims with it. The context of this is I want to create cases that will chamber in any .223 or 5.56 AR that is in spec.

You trim after you size so you need the die to get started. I've had to remind myself of that more than once. Write down your steps on paper to get a better idea of the flow. I will also help you remember things like Lube, De-bur etc.

I also took someones advice - which turned out to be really great advice. Do not try to start reloading with range pick up brass. Buy at least 100 new pieces of brass. This was AR/.223 specific advice. You can extend that to other bottleneck rifle cases to an extent.

Later,
WNTFW

If you enjoyed reading about "223cal case lenth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!