Please help with recommendations for new pistol.......

PDA

Zesty
January 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
I currently own a Springfield Armory XD45 service model, and a Walther P22. That is it as far as handguns go. I am looking to make another purchase in the near future.

For my next gun, these are "must's":

-Traditional DA/SA
-Ability to shoot 3 calibers(9mm,357sig,.40sw) with barrel/mag/spring swap....I would assume I need to buy a .40cal for this?
-I definitely DO NOT want a "decocker" model
-Would prefer an all-steel, full sized gun. Will NOT be for CCW purposes. Just all-around HD and range gun.
-Good customer service is always a plus!
-And unfortunately in this case I live in California, so I have to go with one of the neutered offerings that are OK for sale in this state.

As of right now, I am leaning towards a CZ-75b. However not sure if I would be able to swap between the 3 calibers how I would like, and also seems I have heard bad things about the .40cal models?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help with recommendations for new pistol......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pogo2
January 5, 2008, 06:20 PM
You want a DA/SA steel pistol, but don't want a decocker. I'm having trouble thinking of a DA/SA pistol without a decocker. I am familiar with DA/SA Sigs, Berettas, H&K USPs, Walthers and S&W semiautos, and they all have decockers. I think a decocker is a good thing, and you can use it or not, as you see fit.

I looked up the CZ 75B you mentioned, and it appears to have a safety/decocker, as shown below. Please clarify.

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main029.png

modifiedbrowning
January 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
How about an Fn FNP? They have a single action version available.

The Lone Haranguer
January 5, 2008, 07:39 PM
IMO you are seriously limiting yourself with all these requirements, especially the interchangeable calibers. .40 and .357 SIG barrels can be swapped in some guns as well as the same magazines being used - assuming the gun is available in both calibers to start with. I know it can be done with SIG-Sauer and Glock pistols ... but SIGs have decockers and alloy frames, and Glocks are not DA/SA and have plastic frames. To use 9mm cartridges you would have to get an aftermarket barrel, and there is no guarantee it would function 100% due to the different slide breechface dimensions, which will affect feeding and extraction. I believe any of the makers of such barrels will tell you that.

May I suggest that you obtain a CZ75B in .40? It is all steel, DA/SA and does not have a decocker. Since you are limited to 10 rounds in your magazine in California anyway, you might as well go for more power per cartridge.

I looked up the CZ 75B you mentioned, and it appears to have a safety/decocker, as shown below. Please clarify.

That one is not a decocker model, but a manual safety. You decock these by pulling the trigger while guiding the hammer down. The safety can only be engaged with the hammer cocked. CZs with decockers have a D in their model designation.

jdc1244
January 5, 2008, 07:50 PM
May I suggest that you obtain a CZ75B in .40? It is all steel, DA/SA and does not have a decocker. Since you are limited to 10 rounds in your magazine in California anyway, you might as well go for more power per cartridge.

Agreed, I have a 75B in .40 and itís been flawless.

kd7nqb
January 5, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, you do have some serious limits with that list. I would suggest, the CZ-75 or looking into the poly pistols.

CrawdaddyJim
January 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
Limits aside it will be suggested by someone that he needs a 1911. :D

On topic the CZ-75 would be nice.

CryingWolf
January 5, 2008, 08:46 PM
1911 in a 357sig might be a reach :p

I was thinking Sig or Glock of some sort (I like the looks of the CZ above)

Zesty
January 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Especially The Lone Haranguer. Looks like the CZ75B is the way to go. Funny it didn't really even dawn on me that I haven't even seen a .357sig CZ75B. If you want something to laugh about, I am almost positive the satin nickel/stainless(?) version of this very gun is NOT approved for sale in CA.

So I guess the black one is "safe enough" but the other finish is somehow not ok?

*Edit* Also, does anyone have any experience with their(CZ's) customer service? Thanks.

Mortech
January 6, 2008, 12:32 AM
If you like the way a CZ75B fits your hand look at an EAA Witness , they are based on the CZ and you can order complete caliber switching kits for it right from them .

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help with recommendations for new pistol......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!