Other than the anchor...

PDA

RobertFBurnett
January 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks to all of you for your earlier help and guidance with making my new range pistol decision.

Its coming down to the 9mm Sig 226, great gun, little pricier than an M&P but oh well.

Now what I must do is sort them out because there is like 12 226 models. :banghead:

I want to stay on the low $ end of them, so the X-5 is out. :(

I want all nitron, so the SS and two tones are out. :)

I love a little Single action here and there, so DAO is out. :eek:

Blackwater, no comment. :barf:

Night sites and Crimson trace grips are easy to sort out. ;)

So I guess what I need to know is are the "Elite's" SRT trigger worth the $, and besides the really cool anchor, what is the Navy got the Standard 226 doesn't? :scrutiny:

Did I cover all my bases? Anything I overlooked? :confused:

Thank you all in advance,
RFB

P.S. I am still new to posting in general, please forgive the rampant use of Smilies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Other than the anchor..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crow1108
January 5, 2008, 03:03 PM
If you just want the Elite's SRT trigger, you can just buy a P226R (which is the bare-bones model these days), ship it back to Sig, and they'll be happy to install one for you.

I agree with you on the black water model. An extra couple hundred bucks for 3 extra mags and contrasting fiber-optic sights? No thanks. Both can be added for less.

There is no real difference to the Navy model as far as I can tell. Considering it's the same one issued to the SEALs (according to Sig), the internal parts may have some corrosion-inhibiting coating...but not too sure.

NGIB
January 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
I bought my used W. German P226 this week and it's no frills and basic but a real joy to shoot. I have ordered new sights for it but that's about all it needs to be a great range gun...

Chem Geek
January 5, 2008, 03:37 PM
Like Crow1108 said, the Navy modle is supposed to come with phosphated internals for better corrosion resistance. It also comes with 3 mags as opposed to 2. Aside from that it's just a P226R. Costs a little more than the extra mag costs (maybe $20?), so that's up to you whether it's worth it.

I've used the SRT and it is a much shorter reset than standard. If you plan on doing competition stuff a lot, it'd be worth it. But I can still beat out most of the guys I do action shooting with on an informal basis with the standard DA/SA trigger, so I don't think by any means it's necessary. If you want the beavertail get the Elite. If you don't, get a regular model and add the SRT if you really want it (or send it to Grey Guns). However if you add the SRT and night sights after the fact, it'll cost about the same as the Elite without the wood grips and beavertail (avg. is about $200-$250 more than a plain model).

So, do you like the beavertail?

RobertFBurnett
January 6, 2008, 02:18 AM
Upon review it looks like SOMEHOW the 226 Elite is NOT CA compliant nor on the list of CA DOJ guns. Is the SRT trigger not compliant? Can't be the beavertail or wooden grips? :scrutiny:

Looks like its a toss up between Navy and regular, whichever I can lay my hands on first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Other than the anchor..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!