Beretta 92FS....confessions of a gun addict

PDA

jonboynumba1
January 5, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have a 1911 I love and carry all the time. I love and load for .45 so it really doesn't cost me anything out of pocket to go plink (well not much...I still shoot some hardball...even at cost it aint cheap...then what ammo is these days!) I even killed me a 205 pound buck with it with a .460 Rowland kit. I'm a 1911 guy...outside of GLOCK that is what I always seem to carry. I've owned TONS of guns and borrowed and shot even more. But somewhere there was an odd itch lurking behind the skin I never scratched.

Years ago in my youth all the older guys (in their 20's...sheeze I call them kids now) all seemed to shoot Beretta 92's or Taurus copies there of. They seemed to be in every movie you saw to of course. I had decided when I bought my first handgun it would be one of those two. I really liked the stainless Taurus...thought it was the bee's knees-LOL. I moved and when I finally started working with guys that would carry me out and take me shooting ect I was still young and struggling. I bought some fairly laughable guns and most sub $300/400...but I'd tend to carry 6 months to a year and then move on. This went on for many years. Slowly my price class went up.

I've owned a few nice guns...many really nice used ones I probably couldn't have gotten new at the time. We are like car guys...buy and trade buy and trade. Slowly moving up along the way. Eventually I got to where Glocks and 1911's seemed to be the only things that stuck ( I like sigs but they just don't seem to be me...never warmed up to the HK's. GLOCKS worked well and I shot them well...I was spending more on rifles both sporting and millitary style and of course reloading gear and components. I became a reasonably well rounded complete gun nut. I've mellowed in recent years. No longer a gun of the month club member. I ended up back with a 1911 I love that I built just to have a cheap fun beater and something to do. It's about all I shoot now (centerfire HG wise)...probably about 2K rounds a year. Still...I never owned a Beretta oddly enough. Shot a few...seemed to really do well with them...oddly about as comfortable with it as any of my 1911's...just had to hit plates a few more times to knock em down...but fast hits are easy (I should never have borrowed one last year) Still -I ignored the urge for over a year and forgot about it almost completely...afterall I'm a .45 guy!

Then today I happened to be out shopping with a bud at a local store trying to help him find some items he's been looking for. I'm in the dangerous position of having a lot of dough in the bank right now and open credit cards I paid off before I left for the holidays. I was NOT shopping for me! I was NOT going to buy anything today! So there is a NIB Beretta 92FS in "police special package" packaging which seems to be a cardborad box instead of blue plastic and adds an extra spare mag (3 hicaps and the gun!) They want $449.95 for it!! I agonize over it for about an hour...I don't "need" it...what am I really going to do with it? Why buy a 9mm?...I have a .45 and plenty of fixins for ammo. But the dang things is $50 below my wholesale cost at work (plus $20 shipping usually) Plus an extra 3rd mag (probably 31.95 but I usually have used ones for $20 a pop) So I jokingly say "well that's kinda high...how about you throw me in a box of hollowpoints" He says "sure what kind do you want?" and throws them on the table with a white sheet (4473) and a pen! (evil SOB!) So I figure that's like basically $400 + tax for a NIB Beretta 92 if you call the mag and ammo $50 I'm only human.

So there goes my recovery from my 12 step gun addiction program...completely off the wagon! I'm sitting here with a 92FS and a bunch of this puny lil' ".380 magnum" wussy 9mm on my desk. I have no idea why I bought it...no idea what I bought it for. Nope I just impulse bought it like a candy bar. I don't even feel bad about it...I think I feel bad that I don't feel bad about it-LOL!! I guess sometimes you just want the toys you couldn't afford in your youth (not that I'm old yet...just not a kid anymore)

So quick...somebody say something encouraging about why I had to buy that thing for that kinda money! I tried to talk myself out of it and just kept thinking I could throw it back out on the shelf and make my money back if I ever get bored of it. But nope...I have absolutely no friggin' idea WHY I bought it! Oddly that makes me happy. I was there to spend my buddies money not MY $$$! OH well...

HELLO my name is Jon Boy....I am a gun-o-hollic!...again.

I'm going home to watch Lethal Weapon now...LOL

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS....confessions of a gun addict" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Knight
January 5, 2008, 09:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with a Beretta. The thing is to use hollow points. At work I am required to use FMJ and it is not a good defensive round compared to a hollow point. For the price I believe you did good.

Butter
January 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
Jonboy,

There's always an itch, and if you never scratch it, you'll always be thinking about it. :) If you were on a diet, well, what would be the point of exercising and eating right if you could never have a slice of pizza or a piece of chocolate cake? Sometimes, you just gotta go for it.

Shipwreck
January 5, 2008, 09:50 PM
I have owned a few 92s over the years - I find myself wanting another - a good gun.

Go to the Beretta Forum to learn more. One thing you want to do is replace the hammer spring with a "D" spring to lighten up the DA pull a bit. It lightens it a little, but still keeps it reliable.

kmrcstintn
January 5, 2008, 11:46 PM
it's my fave semiauto; had a few that came & went due to medical bills, moving expenses, etc; gave up a nice Glock 21 to reaquire a NIB commercial M-9 variant; got me some of them Beretta contracted Italian made 20 round mags...stopped a few folks at the range after they hear 70 rounds going off in succession (2 of the 20 round mags & 2 of the 15 round mags)...heh heh :evil:

+1 on good hollowpoints; if stuck in the penal colony of New Jersey & fmj mandates, then get Federal American Eagle 147 gr fmj (truncated cone w/ flat meplat nose)...better penetration & less deformity than round nose fmj

The Ruckus
January 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
I love the Beretta 92FS, I just have to ignore the negative feedback! So many choose what type of firearm they're going to carry and use for home defense based on situations they'll never be in. "Oh my god, exposed sear that means it will jam up in the swamps!!!" I mean for real how often are you taking your 9mm in the swamps?

Right now I'm in the market for a used 92FS. I'm actually checking it out this Monday and hopefully I can make the buy. I'm truly jealous of you sir.

buy guns
January 6, 2008, 01:02 AM
Congrats on the purchase!

I too have the itch for one. I first shot a 92fs a few years ago along with alot of other guns at the same time. It was only my second time shooting ever. I really liked it and it fit me great but being new I didn't really recognize that at the time. Like you I also love 1911s and ended up getting one of those instead, which I ended up selling when I moved back to Chicago (what a horrible mistake!).

Then just recently I rented a 92fs at a range and fell in love with it. I'm dead set on getting one I just won't be able to afford it for awhile. You could always give me yours since you don't want it ;)

10-Ring
January 6, 2008, 01:11 AM
Congrats! The 92fs is a fine pistol, you've done well Grasshopper

XavierBreath
January 6, 2008, 01:14 AM
The Beretta 92FS is one pistol that has not gone up in price over the past decade. Back in 1992, when it was the hot gun to have, they generally sold for $550 or so. I paid about that for mine back then.

When I see them surplused out at CDNN for $300 and selling today new for under $500, I am amazed. It is truely a great value in a 9mm pistol, even if we all got "took" back in the early nineties.

LightEmUp
January 6, 2008, 01:22 AM
The only time I couldn't afford a malfunction in a 92FS (in a firefight in Iraq) murphy's law happened. Won't touch one since then. Granted I believe the mag was the issue....but I'm supertitious like that.

MAURICE
January 6, 2008, 03:46 AM
XavierBreath:
When I see them surplused out at CDNN for $300 and selling today new for under $500, I am amazed. It is truely a great value in a 9mm pistol, even if we all got "took" back in the early nineties.

I've wanted one ever since I saw them in the Lethal Weapon movies as a kid. Now they're pretty much giving them away...sheesh, right now I'm scraping up for a good 1911 and they're selling em for 300 bucks.
CDNN, I hate/love you. :D

golden
January 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
I have owned several BERETTA 92's and carried a BERETTA 96 BRIGADIER on duty. It was a very good gun. The biggest negative is the size. If you can find a BERETTA 92 Centurion, I find it is a better compromise for defense and concealed carry.

I have found all the 92/96 models to be very reliable. They have uniformly good triggers and good quality. I particulary liked the D modes with the Double Action Only trigger.

Have fun with your 92.

Jim

Frandy
January 6, 2008, 10:49 AM
So quick...somebody say something encouraging about why I had to buy that thing for that kinda money!

Cause, they're purty... :D
http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Handguns/92FS_Left_side_Aug_14_2007_Pachmayer_panels_800.jpg

JohnMcD348
January 6, 2008, 02:39 PM
Great score, I jealous. I've been looking/thinking about getting one. I just want the wife to shoot one first to see how she likes it. So far the only thing she's liked was the PPK/s that I bought her. She want's to take a a few classes and I'd really like to move her up to a more "tactical"(meaning larger framed) firearm for the classes.

Firepower!
January 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
Beretta 92FS excellant fire arm for collection and defense. However I think it under power for its size. It seems like a .45 but with 9mm loaded. Not that any thing worng with 9mm...most og my pistols are 9mm and I prefer it over .45!

NCTexan
January 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
Jonboy... I hate to bring you more bad news... But I've seen it a thousand times.

Next you'll be hanging around over at the Beretta Forum. Then all the talk about about "What if the 92FS met a Cougar and fell in love and had a baby... it would be the PX4!"

Next thing... you'll find that you have an itch, where you didn't even know that you had a thing. :what:

I see a PX4 in your treatment plan.

starbuck
January 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
I own an M9 and 92FS. I've told myself the M9 has to go, but I don't know if I have the heart to do it.
My roommate wants to buy it, so at least it will stay "in the family" so to speak.
The Beretta 92FS/M9 is hands down my favorite pistol. I prefer it over both my Sig and my Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS....confessions of a gun addict" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!