First 10mm

January 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
I finally got a 10mm which I've wanted for a long time now. My local shop had a lightly used Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm for $920 so I cashed in some Christmas gift cards and brought her home. I just placed an order for a couple boxes of Doubletap's 165gr Gold dots for carry use. Does anyone have any other ammo selection advice? Also, the stock magazine only holds 8 rounds which seems kinda ridiculous since my .45 holds 8 as well. I figured I'd get better capacity. Who makes reliable (carry) 9 or 10 round magazines which would seat flush? Thanks everyone.

If you enjoyed reading about "First 10mm" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
for more capacity trade it for a Glock 20 :)... 15 rounds...(just kidding that is a nice looking pistol) for my G20 i use Double Taps 230 grn Equalizer-135 grn jacketed bullet AND 90 grn lead ball, slow compared to the 165 but it makes two holes for the price of one

January 5, 2008, 11:51 PM
I was looking at those equalizer rounds but was a kinda worried it was just gimmicky. How have they performed for you and what kind of spread do you get from the rounds?

One of the main reasons I am moving back to the 1911 from my .357 SP101 is from the recent mall shootings. Those made me think about the real possibility of shooting beyond contact ranges which I don't feel extremely comfortable with from a snub nose. Would the spread at say 50 yards be extreme?

January 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
they're more accurate/effective for distances inside 25 yards, i keep them loaded for inside the house self defence. At the range they will put six holes in a 6" target at 10 yards from three rounds fired, good enough for my purposes. For the scenario you mentioned i think you made a good choice;1400+FPS and over 750 ft.lbs of energy. If you have questions about any of the ammo at DoubleTap send Mike an email he's really good at responding, i use his 350 grain .500 ammo in my S&W 500 magnum for hunting, got a nice whitetail last year

January 6, 2008, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the 10MM club , hope to see you over at . Remember to feed that bay the good stuff (Doubletap of course) and of course a report on how she shoots would be greatly appreciated .

If you enjoyed reading about "First 10mm" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!