Another mouth to feed!

PDA

Mordoc
July 27, 2003, 01:41 AM
I picked up a model 58 at the Knoxville, TN show today. It is nickel and there was another one unfired in the original box. Picked up some 210 gr. LSWC but haven't fired it yet. It feels more compact than my 625. It has the usual good smoothe double action and light single action trigger. I have no expierience with the .41. Anyone have a 58 that they shoot? I would like to compare notes after going to the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another mouth to feed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ACP230
July 27, 2003, 04:25 PM
I've had a nickel M58 for about a year. I found it at the Cabela's in Dundee, MI. I didn't get to see too much in the store since I spent all the time I had dickering on the M58.

I have mostly shot it with reloads with a 210 or 215 grain LSWC at about 1,000 fps. It groups well with that load and isn't hard to shoot. It came with rubber Pachmayr grips which I would have added anyway. They help with the recoil.

An interesting thing I noticed is that the original .41 Magnum "Police Load" a 210 grain LSWC at around 900 fps, is about the equal of "modern" .40 S&W loads in energy. Back to the future, eh?

There are several posts on this on here somewhere. I think the title of the thread is "Nickeled M58," or something similar.

Mike Irwin
July 27, 2003, 07:00 PM
Be prepared, Mordoc, the Model 58s will make a TRUE BELIEVER out of you!

I bought a blued on a few years ago for just shy of $300. It was in almost new condition. Absolutely gorgeous.

Remington 210-gr. JSPs are STOUT!

Lots of fun to shoot.

I reload with lead 215-gr. SWCs and 231 for about 850-900 fps. A VERY good bowling pin load, but unfortuantely it doesn't shoot anywhere near point of aim.

I need a 4" Mode 57. :)

What did you have to give for your 58?

Mordoc
July 27, 2003, 10:36 PM
I traded a 2" model 12 airweight that I had $250 in plus $150. The seller wanted $450 so I think I did OK. I wanted $300 for the model 12. It was in the original box and about 98%. The seller wanted a 2" model 12 square butt for his collection so it worked out. I was really looking for a Diamondback or a 9mm Speed Six but I have seen so few model 58's. I just need to add a set of grips and find some speedloaders. It should be a blast in IPSC (no pun intended).

10-Ring
July 27, 2003, 10:43 PM
Sounds like you had a pretty nice weekend, congrats ;)

Mike Irwin
July 28, 2003, 12:53 AM
OK, not a stellar price, but you did OK on both sides of that trade, so there's absolutely nothing for anyone to gripe about.

I'm pretty certain that HKS and Safariland are both still making speedloaders for the 57/58s. I picked up a couple of the HKS brand at a gunshow a few years ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another mouth to feed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!