.45 acp hole in bedroom.

PDA

Blackfork
January 6, 2008, 08:28 PM
A friend of the family found a .45 acp slug in the middle of the floor of her second story bedroom. She lives in the middle of 50 acres in a rural area. I went out when she asked and found a bullet hole behind the headboard through the headboard and the wall. I got a compass out of my hunting sack and shot a heading.

Wooden house with insulation and sheetrock.

Outside I found the hole in the second story wall with a pair of binocs, then, with a pair of clippers in the thick brush, cut my way along the compass heading.

The heading descended a steep ravine in the brush and then climbed to a flat ridge about 100 yards from the house. The ridgetop had a trail along the flat crest. I double checked my compass and the house through binocs and started looking for brass to the left of the line. No brass. And not much sign besides deer and coons.

I descended a second ravine and climbed back to elevation at the edge of her property.

I left my rifle against a tree and crossed the fence to an open property with four horses, grazed to dirt except for trees. There are several houses and trailers in the area. I stayed on the line and sure enough, found four R-P nickel .45acp hulls in the middle of a dirt road. All of them had the same slanted firing pin mark on the primers. I was approx 300 yards from the hole in the house. You could barely make out the house rooftop from that distance.

A minute later a white pickup came nosing up the dirt track. Someone must have called. Inside were an older man, a young teen girl and a deer rifle. (today was the last day of deer hunting in North Texas) I explained who I was and what I was up to, made sure they had the womans name, my name and phone number. They didn't know anyone who owned a .45 and were the only folks with permission to be on the land. They tried to call the property owner of the land we were standing on.

They hadn't killed any deer and only knew a little more than I knew about the local pig herd. After a bit I went back through the fence to the house.

My impression was that they were telling the truth and would keep an eye out. I was just happy to see the land and actually find brass on the compass heading.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 acp hole in bedroom." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
January 6, 2008, 08:35 PM
CSI has nothing on you!

right or wrong, I would not have separated from my weapon; especially considering your mission.

Zoogster
January 6, 2008, 08:50 PM
Good investigating.

However had you actualy found the person long after they did it, and they posed a threat you may have had a problem legaly. You were armed and tresspassing, and if it was someone with permission to be there or the owner it could look ugly in court turning it into a story like this out of the mouth of a prosecutor:

You were angry after a bullet accidentaly fired went through a lady friend's home. You grabbed your gun and drove quite a distance angry and determined to make that person pay. You marched right over tresspassing, through a fence, and confronted the person who you then shot in retribution for the shooting of your lady friend's home.
Clear cut pre meditated murder.

That may not be what actualy happened, but if you ran into someone that posed a threat and had to defend yourself the facts would all look the same to a jury.
Even if no shots were fired and you confronted someone while armed after driving a distance without alerting authorities and then tresspass while armed to confront it makes a very good case for assault with a deadly weapon or something similar.
You may not have gone over there intent on starting trouble, but in a court of law that would just be your word against the prosecutor's and the guy you confronted (and any buddies with him perhaps.) The fact that you had to drive out of your way and brought a rifle could be used to imply ill intent. Making you out to be emotionaly driven to initiate the encounter, and arming yourself in the process.

After all the sheeple would have just called the police, and won't be able to relate to you "taking the law into your own hands" with no ill intent to investigate the situation. It won't be a big jump to assume you went over there to start trouble even if not true.
That will be the prosecutor's story because that turns any actions which resulted into a crime.

So glad you figured out what happened, but food for thought if you had actualy successfuly tracked the individual down.

boatbod
January 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
OP did say:
I left my rifle against a tree and crossed the fence to an open property

So that would rather have precluded him having an armed confrontation on someone else's property, unless of course he had a CCW with him.

JKimball
January 6, 2008, 09:36 PM
Man, I sometimes have trouble finding my own brass. Pretty impressive!

paintballdude902
January 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
wow you have some major compass skills man

i would have never found the brass

e-highfive on that one

tblt
January 6, 2008, 09:46 PM
Is this for real

Zoogster
January 6, 2008, 10:09 PM
Is this for real
It is certainly possible. A heavy round passing through multiple light barriers could do so in a straight enough path to give a very good indication of where it came from. Taking a reading with a compass and following that heading could lead one in the general area. If there is brass in a relatively open clearing then it doesn't have to be precise.

Still would be quite impressive and a lot more effort and tedious investigation than responding officers would have done when nobody was harmed that is for sure.

Black Knight
January 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
I hope someone filed a police report. It may be nothing at this time but who knows. It might lead to something more serious later on. Also local police or deputy sheriffs should make more patrols throug the area for safety's sake. Hopefully lightning won't strike in the same place twice. Glad your friend was not at home when it happened.

jerkface11
January 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Probably the local PD trying to shoot a snake out of a bird feeder.

doc2rn
January 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
+1 to Black Knight

Due to the fact that it went through her headboard it could easily have struck, and killed her.
Sidenote, good pathfinder skills you got goin on.

MKEITH
January 6, 2008, 10:52 PM
300 yards away with a .45? Either whoever shot that round has some serious skills, or it was a total freak accident. I vote for accident. But it only reinforces that you should ALWAYS know what lies beyond your intended target. Thank goodness no one got hurt. This could have very easily had a very bad outcome.

Rshooter
January 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
Some 20 years ago a roommate of mine and another guy went shooting on a hill of all places in the rural San Diego area. The friend had just gotten a .22 rifle, his first gun. They had been there about a half hour when a Sheriff's car came up the hill full lights and siren. The officer was polite but all business. It turned out that about 3/4 of a mile away was a housing development and someone reported that they were being shot at. It could have been much worse. As it was the officer gave a stern warning and declared no harm, no foul.

The Annoyed Man
January 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
Is this for realWhen I worked in an ER back in the 80s, we treated a young guy who was hit by a .45 bullet falling out of the sky. He was sitting in his Jeep at a red light, in the early afternoon, right around New Year's Day. The bullet came down through the top of his car and hit him in the thigh, breaking his femur. This happened at a large, open intersection in Pasadena, California, where there are no surrounding tall buildings; so the round was definitely falling rather than direct fire. There was no shot heard by any witnesses, so it was fired from a considerable distance away. So yes, it would seem entirely possible that a .45 round fired from 300 yards away could punch through like that, particularly if it was an FMJ, as was the recovered bullet that hit our patient.

realmswalker
January 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
bullet came down through the top of his car and hit him in the thigh, breaking his femur.

How far into his leg did the bullet penetrate annoyed?

silverlance
January 7, 2008, 01:35 PM
my buddy who is a medic in iraq pulled a guy out from a tent last year with a badly broken femur. a MORTAR ROUND fell on him while he was sleeping. turned out to be a dud. he said it was the worst patient care case he ever had, because even under four layers of flak jacket you still felt naked.

+1 on your CSI skills. I wonder if the cases could be dusted for prints? gun oils and fouling make really good FPs.

The Annoyed Man
January 7, 2008, 02:38 PM
realmswalker, it stopped after breaking the bone. It penetrated the frontal aspect of his thigh while he was sitting, so the trajectory at that point must have been close to the vertical. There was no exit wound, so the bullet must have had just enough energy to break the bone, but that was it. I don't remember for certain whether he said his jeep had a rag-top or not.

woodybrighton
January 7, 2008, 03:47 PM
British army reckon on about a 1km danger area for a 9mm and about 10 for 7.62:eek:
seen someone hit a fig 11 at 300m with a 9mm browning high power

no backstop those rounds are just going to keep on going :mad:

NG VI
January 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
what's a fig 11?

DoubleTapDrew
January 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
Good tracking skills Kemosabe!
found four R-P nickel .45acp hulls in the middle of a dirt road. All of them had the same slanted firing pin mark on the primers.
Sounds Glock?

Funderb
January 7, 2008, 04:23 PM
I usually like to find bullet holes in my house less.
Probably should have left the rifle at your property line, to avoid the dangerous afraid. Good work though, it's fun to track by compass bearing,
sailing or walking.
Sounds like fun over all.

woodybrighton
January 7, 2008, 04:37 PM
standard man sized target http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-BRITISH-ARMY-SHOOTING-FIG-11-TARGET-x-5_W0

sellers talking rubbish or a remf 100 metres was zeroing range then back to 300metres

yenchisks
January 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
ok i don't get it was the man or woman shooting at the house or did they need glasses, was it someone that just said this looks like a good spot to shoot here son aim low ? it could be a 1000 deferant explanations.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 acp hole in bedroom." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!